UPenn c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the call yesterday for IS acceptance! Do people who got accepted earlier know when I should expect an email or hard copy mail? On the phone she said a couple weeks for the whole acceptance packet to come by mail

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the call yesterday for IS acceptance! Do people who got accepted earlier know when I should expect an email or hard copy mail? On the phone she said a couple weeks for the whole acceptance packet to come by mail
I got my hard copy in the mail (just one page congratulating me) by the end of the week, but I live in philly so it didn’t have to travel far. Other people took about a week and a half I think. So by the end of next week I think you’ll have it. I don’t know about a packet though. Maybe they send them out after all acceptances go out? The things that usually come in an acceptance packet were found in a link on the hard copy.

I got my letter on the Friday after my interview (one week later). It was just a letter and it directs you to a more comprehensive webpage. I imagine this is info that would be included in a packet, so perhaps it's a e-packet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else who was accepted know when/where to send our transcripts showing we completed prereqs?

Does anyone else who was accepted know when/where to send our transcripts showing we completed prereqs?
Call the admissions office and check. Otherwise email Rob.

I got my letter on the Friday after my interview (one week later). It was just a letter and it directs you to a more comprehensive webpage. I imagine this is info that would be included in a packet, so perhaps it's a e-packet?

I’m sure that’s what she was talking about. Thanks! I’m just anxious to get something in writing so I can turn down my other offers. I’m sure people are anxious to get off the waitlists

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sure that’s what she was talking about. Thanks! I’m just anxious to get something in writing so I can turn down my other offers. I’m sure people are anxious to get off the waitlists
We’re also just preparing you to not have a heart attack when you see that it’s a thin envelope and wonder before you open it if they made a mistake when they called you. Because that’s... not what I did... at all...

Reactions: 2 users
We’re also just preparing you to not have a heart attack when you see that it’s a thin envelope and wonder before you open it if they made a mistake when they called you. Because that’s... not what I did... at all...
Omg :laugh: that’s where I’m at I feel like the phone call was a mistake or a cruel joke

Reactions: 4 users
Omg :laugh: that’s where I’m at I feel like the phone call was a mistake or a cruel joke
Trust me, I’ve gotten the call, the letter, filled out my paperwork, and submitted the deposit and I still feel that way

Reactions: 2 users
I'm about to graduate, and I still feel that way.
Sort of like you’re going to walk across the stage, receive your degree, and then wake up at 22 like the last four years never happened?

Sort of like you’re going to walk across the stage, receive your degree, and then wake up at 22 like the last four years never happened?
Umm... something like that, except I haven't been 22 for over 10 years! :rofl: I guess there are a LOT of things I'd do differently if that happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
50%! They add it right to your term bill. Also discounts on various things like food and preventatives. Not a current student, but I asked the student admissions reps the day of the interview.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying it’s a fee on your tuition bill for the hospital discount? Just curious.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying it’s a fee on your tuition bill for the hospital discount? Just curious.
According to the current students I asked about this, yea. I’m not sure what it shows up as, but you pay it as part of your term bill.

Oh interesting

I'm also interested to know what their typical exam costs and how it compares to other clinics in the area. Like, I know at Ohio State, the discount was weak and still didn't make it comparable to area clinics.

According to the current students I asked about this, yea. I’m not sure what it shows up as, but you pay it as part of your term bill.

Not that it really matters all that much, but the bill doesn't show up on the same thing as where you pay your tuition. the bill is handled through pennvet hospital and you pay them directly, not through upenn billing system.

primary care costs aren't too that bad. the worst part is since its a teaching hospital your appointments are 1-2 hours long instead of 15-30 minutes. costs outside of primary care seem to be on par with other specialty hospital costs and with 50% off its def cheaper.

Not that it really matters all that much, but the bill doesn't show up on the same thing as where you pay your tuition. the bill is handled through pennvet hospital and you pay them directly, not through upenn billing system.
How much is it? And do you only have to pay it if you want to use the VTH? I’m just really curious about the whole situation. My school gives a 20% discount but we don’t have to pay anything to be able to get it, they just can’t give us more of one because then the state would have to tax us on it as income.

primary care costs aren't too that bad. the worst part is since its a teaching hospital your appointments are 1-2 hours long instead of 15-30 minutes. costs outside of primary care seem to be on par with other specialty hospital costs and with 50% off its def cheaper.
Oh okay. I was told the bill gets added to your term bill and you at graduation. Do you still pay at graduation?

Call the admissions office and check. Otherwise email Rob.

well yes, I obviously could've figured that out. was just wondering if anyone on here had already done it and knew before I contact them.

well yes, I obviously could've figured that out. was just wondering if anyone on here had already done it and knew before I contact them.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound like I was giving a generic response. I remember them saying to send it to them, but I don’t remember what the address was.

How much is it? And do you only have to pay it if you want to use the VTH? I’m just really curious about the whole situation. My school gives a 20% discount but we don’t have to pay anything to be able to get it, they just can’t give us more of one because then the state would have to tax us on it as income.

Oh okay. I was told the bill gets added to your term bill and you at graduation. Do you still pay at graduation?
Nothing gets added to your tuition bill. You pay for services that you use, but you pay the hospital directly. Students are allowed to carry a balance, but you must pay off your bill prior to graduation.

Yes, appointments are long, but as a student you can drop off your pets before class and pick them up at the end of the day. That is what I have always done with my animals, and it’s worked out well for me.

Nothing gets added to your tuition bill. You pay for services that you use, but you pay the hospital directly. Students are allowed to carry a balance, but you must pay off your bill prior to graduation.

Yes, appointments are long, but as a student you can drop off your pets before class and pick them up at the end of the day. That is what I have always done with my animals, and it’s worked out well for me.
Got it. That makes sense.

Thank Jesus because it sounded like he was saying there was a fee charged to students to get the hospital discount. That’s where I was highly confused

Thank Jesus because it sounded like he was saying there was a fee charged to students to get the hospital discount. That’s where I was highly confused
Yea my wording was confusing. What I meant was that you get the bill for the visit added to your term bill. But turns out they just bill you directly but you can carry a balance. I can’t imagine a vet school charging a fee just to use their hospital!

One of my friends is on the waitlist here- does anyone know if they have two waitlists (IS and OOS?) and how much each moved last year?

Hi Does admission office send email copy of the acceptance letter? :)
I got an acceptance call last week and my interview told me to expect couple of weeks for the mail.
However I'm living overseas and the mail service is horrible in my country. :nailbiting:

I got an acceptance call last week and my interview told me to expect couple of weeks for the mail.
However I'm living overseas and the mail service is horrible in my country. :nailbiting:
I don't think it would hurt to email Rob and explain your situation! Maybe they can get you a PDF copy?

One of my friends is on the waitlist here- does anyone know if they have two waitlists (IS and OOS?) and how much each moved last year?
I'd also like to know this! I do know that we can find out where we are on the waitlist come March 7th but that's all I've got. Maybe at that point we can ask if there is two lists?

I talked to Rob a couple of days ago and he said if the letter was taking too long to get to me, they could email scans of it. I would give him a call and see if he can email them to you

So if we didn’t get any mention of scholarship in our acceptance letter, is it safe to say that we aren’t being offered any? I’m hearing conflicting things.

So if we didn’t get any mention of scholarship in our acceptance letter, is it safe to say that we aren’t being offered any? I’m hearing conflicting things.
Most likely. I don't think scholarship notifications come with the actual acceptance letter, but I'm pretty sure they notify you fairly soon after you get your acceptance if they want to offer you a scholarship. You can always call admissions and ask if you need an answer right away.

No, there isn't anything like that, just orientation in August.
I guess regarding the acceptance letter, do they tell everyone that they need final transcripts and that your acceptance is conditioned upon completing all prerequisites? I’ve already completed all classes and haven’t been in school since May 2018. I feel like I’ve already bothered Rob enough lol.

I guess regarding the acceptance letter, do they tell everyone that they need final transcripts and that your acceptance is conditioned upon completing all prerequisites? I’ve already completed all classes and haven’t been in school since May 2018. I feel like I’ve already bothered Rob enough lol.
I honestly don't know, it's probably best to just bother Rob one more time and ask about your specific situation. I hadn't finished my prereqs when I was accepted, so my letter definitely said that. I think I had until the end of July to send in my transcripts showing everything was completed (I hadn't taken calculus because it wasn't required at any other school I applied to, then when I decided on Penn I took it during the summer at a county college and was totally fine to still start school in the fall)

I'm also interested to know what their typical exam costs and how it compares to other clinics in the area. Like, I know at Ohio State, the discount was weak and still didn't make it comparable to area clinics.

Damn, I was just in with Z and don't have the paperwork with me, but I think the GP fee was something $58? and then we get 50% off that. I can confirm the exact cost when I'm home later this week. No idea about other local clinics, though. I imagine it would be hard to beat the 50% off the entire bill. Prior to Penn, I've only taken her to my local Vet in DC/MD or Friendship Animal for emergencies and neither are cheap, at all! :bag:

Seconding what @mht2k3 and @Skimble have said above. I took Z in for a GP visit, some vaccines, and a 4dx. I think between waiting in the lobby and walking out the door was around 1:10ish. Several people have done the drop off/pick up and like the ease. Note -- if you got to student health, however, you can elect to have the bill (if you even have one), added to the registrar's account rather than paying on the spot if you so choose, so whenever a new term bill is generated, that health bill will be a line item on the bill.

Damn, I was just in with Z and don't have the paperwork with me, but I think the GP fee was something $58? and then we get 50% off that. I can confirm the exact cost when I'm home later this week. No idea about other local clinics, though. I imagine it would be hard to beat the 50% off the entire bill. Prior to Penn, I've only taken her to my local Vet in DC/MD or Friendship Animal for emergencies and neither are cheap, at all! :bag:
Having been born and raised in this area, I’m sure you won’t beat the cost in that case. Most clinics are in the $50’s for exams, $20’s to $30’s for vaccines, and $40’s to $50’s for something like a fecal or 4DX. The only thing I can think of being cheaper is if you worked somewhere in the area and you’re close with the owner so they’ll still give you a heavy employee discount even after leaving for school. But that only applies to people from the philly area. My clinic gives everything for cost +10%, and usually free exams. If I can keep doing that, I may just drive across the river. But for everything else Penn would still be cheaper.

Having been born and raised in this area, I’m sure you won’t beat the cost in that case. Most clinics are in the $50’s for exams, $20’s to $30’s for vaccines, and $40’s to $50’s for something like a fecal or 4DX. The only thing I can think of being cheaper is if you worked somewhere in the area and you’re close with the owner so they’ll still give you a heavy employee discount even after leaving for school. But that only applies to people from the philly area. My clinic gives everything for cost +10%, and usually free exams. If I can keep doing that, I may just drive across the river. But for everything else Penn would still be cheaper.
That's awesome!!! Is that your clinic cost for employees or just in general?

That's awesome!!! Is that your clinic cost for employees or just in general?
For employees. We’re very much a normal cost clinic so our visit is $58, shots are mostly $33, etc. The area we serve is mostly well-off so there’s no issue paying a typical amount for the area. But the doctor who took over last year is awesome and always does free stuff for employees. There’s only 6 staff members so he can afford to do that for us. It’s awesome. Especially since I’m in charge of some of the office management aspects like ordering, so I know how much things actually cost for a clinic.

Can anyone talk about the probation? I know it’s for “major deficiencies in physical facilities/equipment” and I feel like I heard that it was due to the facilities being kind of old, and that also NBC being so far was a factor too? But I can’t actually find any more information online, and aforementioned reasons were just word of mouth, so if anyone has any more info I’d like to hear it. Also if anyone knows what the school is doing to address these things?
Thanks!

Can anyone talk about the probation? I know it’s for “major deficiencies in physical facilities/equipment” and I feel like I heard that it was due to the facilities being kind of old, and that also NBC being so far was a factor too? But I can’t actually find any more information online, and aforementioned reasons were just word of mouth, so if anyone has any more info I’d like to hear it. Also if anyone knows what the school is doing to address these things?
Thanks!
Sure - We were put on probation for a few reasons. Mostly curriculum-related things and because our emergency service was small and out of date. The curriculum changes were made soon after we got the probationary status, and our new, shiny ES actually opened last week! The most recent update to the students said that with our new ES, they're going to continue to "enhance" our cardiology and radiology departments and more. I'm actually surprised with how fast the ES was renovated, usually university projects are never-ending. I know the ultimate goal of all of the changes was to receive full accreditation with no deficiencies, but idk what the timeline for actually receiving that status is. The current probationary status doesn't affect graduating or incoming students in any way, we still get a full degree and everything.

ETA: All of this info I got from emails to students, there might be other people on here that are more "in the know."

Thanks!
Just to add to what @raf2769 said, the deficiency was updated from major to minor. It started out as a major deficiency in facilities/equipment and curriculum with minor deficiencies in facilities/equipment and admissions, and was downgraded to just a minor deficiency in facilities/equipment. I wish that site-visit reports were made public though so that there would be no speculation as to what the issues actually were.

Thanks!
The probation has nothing to do with nbc being so far away. It was mostly ES and some curriculum as previously stated. I have no doubt that they will pass just fine after the re-inspection (not sure when that will be though.)

The probation has nothing to do with nbc being so far away. It was mostly ES and some curriculum as previously stated. I have no doubt that they will pass just fine after the re-inspection (not sure when that will be though.)
Inspection is semi-annual. So if the last one was Spring, the next should be this fall around September.

What specifically was deficient in the curriculum and what was done to change?
Small animal focused people didn’t get any lectures or hands on experience with LA anesthesia. That’s the big one I remember. They added lectures to the anesthesia course and now SA people spend one day out at nbc during their anesthesia rotation (unless they took electives that covered that material.) I think there was some other LA stuff that was lacking as well, but mostly for SA people.

Small animal focused people didn’t get any lectures or hands on experience with LA anesthesia. That’s the big one I remember. They added lectures to the anesthesia course and now SA people spend one day out at nbc during their anesthesia rotation (unless they took electives that covered that material.) I think there was some other LA stuff that was lacking as well, but mostly for SA people.
Did ICVM courses getting revamped have anything to do with that or was it mostly the current 3rd years who paved the way for the new system?

Thanks guys! I know the school isn’t at any risk of losing accreditation or anything, and I’ve made my decision and I’m super excited about it, but I realized this was a thing and I didn’t actually know very much about it/my mom mentioned it to me and I couldn’t really tell her about it haha.
Thanks again!