UPenn c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did ICVM courses getting revamped have anything to do with that or was it mostly the current 3rd years who paved the way for the new system?
ICVM changes every year I think! I’m not sure it’s related to accreditation, or if it’s just trying to find something that works/trying to get more hands on experience earlier.
 
Hello!

I'm OOS for Penn and also have been accepted to Tufts as OOS. I absolutely love both schools and am having a hard time making a decision. I was wondering if anyone else chose between these two schools and why they chose Penn?

Disclaimer: I'm posting this but for Tufts in that forum as well to get those opinions!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I'm OOS for Penn and also have been accepted to Tufts as OOS. I absolutely love both schools and am having a hard time making a decision. I was wondering if anyone else chose between these two schools and why they chose Penn?

Disclaimer: I'm posting this but for Tufts in that forum as well to get those opinions!

Hey! I’m waitlisted at tufts but I honestly had decided by the time I left tufts interview (I had it 2 days after Penn’s)

I loved the feel of Penn’s campus and of philly. Tufts felt really isolated, and I think that it was magnified because it is separate from their main campus in Boston so you are there ONLY with other vet students. That was a really big thing for me because I am overall pretty introverted, so if I live in a place like north Grafton i will isolate myself in work and I won’t have a social life. In Philly, I could walk/bike/public transport from my apt to campus and to social events easily and it would be harder for me to become a hermit.
That’s my main “objective” reason... the rest are about how I felt that I fit with the campus and student body.
I immediately felt really comfortable at penn, and I could see myself there from the second I walked onto the campus. Something about it clicked for me. I’m not saying that tufts didn’t make me feel welcome or anything, but I didn’t feel the same energy on campus as I did at penn. And I think that is just me-I’m sure there are people who immediately clicked at tufts and not at penn for any number of reasons. Overall, penn felt like a better fit.
I think that the happy hour at penn sold me to them more too because I was able to get to know people who I interviewed with, as well as current students. All of the current students were so nice and super interested in what I had to say and were more than happy to share their experiences with the school. It was really nice to have those interactions and I felt like I connected with the school a lot that way. Tufts didn’t have anything like that so I don’t feel like I ever got the chance to feel like a part of their student body or experience “life” at tufts (I’m not sure if that makes sense... but for me it is way different talking to students who are not involved in the admissions process. Tour guides are there to sell the school, and while they answered questions honestly, it was really nice to be able to talk to a LOT of other students about their experiences at Penn, and I also appreciate that the school set up that opportunity for the interviewees). Plus, back to social life things, penn has that happy hour every Friday night while at tufts I didn’t really hear about the school organising or sponsoring any social events/opportunities for their students to de-stress and I appreciated that penn did offer that.
Both are awesome schools and I don’t think you could go wrong with either one, but those are my own experiences🙂
 
Congratulations! Figured as much from your name. I finished December 2016.

On another note. Has anyone been added to the class of 2023 facebook group yet? I requested over a week ago but still haven't been added.
Yea I’ve been in it from pretty much the beginning. I think @staff_wielder is a moderator for it. I could be wrong though. But I’m sure someone on this page is and could help you out.
 
Hello!

I'm OOS for Penn and also have been accepted to Tufts as OOS. I absolutely love both schools and am having a hard time making a decision. I was wondering if anyone else chose between these two schools and why they chose Penn?

Disclaimer: I'm posting this but for Tufts in that forum as well to get those opinions!

I'll respond to the other School vs school forum that Zooster tagged me in.

Hey! I’m waitlisted at tufts but I honestly had decided by the time I left tufts interview (I had it 2 days after Penn’s)

I loved the feel of Penn’s campus and of philly. Tufts felt really isolated, and I think that it was magnified because it is separate from their main campus in Boston so you are there ONLY with other vet students. That was a really big thing for me because I am overall pretty introverted, so if I live in a place like north Grafton i will isolate myself in work and I won’t have a social life. In Philly, I could walk/bike/public transport from my apt to campus and to social events easily and it would be harder for me to become a hermit.
That’s my main “objective” reason... the rest are about how I felt that I fit with the campus and student body.
I immediately felt really comfortable at penn, and I could see myself there from the second I walked onto the campus. Something about it clicked for me. I’m not saying that tufts didn’t make me feel welcome or anything, but I didn’t feel the same energy on campus as I did at penn. And I think that is just me-I’m sure there are people who immediately clicked at tufts and not at penn for any number of reasons. Overall, penn felt like a better fit.
I think that the happy hour at penn sold me to them more too because I was able to get to know people who I interviewed with, as well as current students. All of the current students were so nice and super interested in what I had to say and were more than happy to share their experiences with the school. It was really nice to have those interactions and I felt like I connected with the school a lot that way. Tufts didn’t have anything like that so I don’t feel like I ever got the chance to feel like a part of their student body or experience “life” at tufts (I’m not sure if that makes sense... but for me it is way different talking to students who are not involved in the admissions process. Tour guides are there to sell the school, and while they answered questions honestly, it was really nice to be able to talk to a LOT of other students about their experiences at Penn, and I also appreciate that the school set up that opportunity for the interviewees). Plus, back to social life things, penn has that happy hour every Friday night while at tufts I didn’t really hear about the school organising or sponsoring any social events/opportunities for their students to de-stress and I appreciated that penn did offer that.
Both are awesome schools and I don’t think you could go wrong with either one, but those are my own experiences🙂

<3

Yea I’ve been in it from pretty much the beginning. I think @staff_wielder is a moderator for it. I could be wrong though. But I’m sure someone on this page is and could help you out.

I think they add in waves?
Did you get an email from Matt, the main mod? You could shoot him an email...

Sorry, not on the committee that is in charge of the incoming students. The school is closed this week for break so Matt won't be getting a list of approved students to accept into the group from my understanding.
 
can any current students talk about where students typically live and what rent goes for? do people walk to campus? etc
Hey. Most vet students live in West Philly. Many of us have pets so we like to live within walking distance of the school to come home at lunch. Some students live across the bridge in Rittenhouse square ($$) or some have significant others or are locals and live in various parts of South/East Philly or further out West. Students can usually be found between 38th to 50th east to West, and between Baltimore Ave to Powelton Ave South to North. Past 50th get's a bit sketch, but university police and west philly police are usually on their bikes and and can be seen on many corners at night and there is a free escort service if needed. Rent is probably in the range of 6/700 (shared houses) on the very low end, to averaging between 8-1200 (shared, studios, 1 bedrooms), with higher end apartments at 1400 and above. Apartments at Penn, Powelton Properties, University Housing, Campus Apartments are some of the big names around West Philly area.

@ajs513 aren't you a local?
 
Hey. Most vet students live in West Philly. Many of us have pets so we like to live within walking distance of the school to come home at lunch. Some students live across the bridge in Rittenhouse square ($$) or some have significant others or are locals and live in various parts of South/East Philly or further out West. Students can usually be found between 38th to 50th east to West, and between Baltimore Ave to Powelton Ave South to North. Past 50th get's a bit sketch, but university police and west philly police are usually on their bikes and and can be seen on many corners at night and there is a free escort service if needed. Rent is probably in the range of 6/700 (shared houses) on the very low end, to averaging between 8-1200 (shared, studios, 1 bedrooms), with higher end apartments at 1400 and above. Apartments at Penn, Powelton Properties, University Housing, Campus Apartments are some of the big names around West Philly area.

@ajs513 aren't you a local?
Yea all your info is right. I got a place on Chestnut 10 minute walking distance from the school (just signed a couple weeks ago) for $1450 but I’m living with my SO so we’re splitting it. It’s a high end apartment so it’s a little pricier. If you go with a bigger house and split it you can have your own room for like $650. If you split a room you can get one for like $500. But as they said on the Facebook page, there’s a housing group that’ll be made soon and everyone can look for housemates there. Also, center city can be pretty cheap surprisingly. Like $1300 for a nice place to split with someone. Also, don’t write off craigslist as an option for finding housing. I promise it’s not as sketchy as you’d think.
 
How likely is it to get off of the waitlist from Penn?
Depends on your position on the waitlist. One year, it didn't move at all, but other years upwards of 20 spots moved. Contact Rob at admissions and see if he will tell you your spot. Good luck and hopefully you won't have to do the MPH for your gap year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some of the houses or multi-bedroom apartments in West Philly can get down to $400-600 dollars per bedroom if you look, most of these are west of campus. There's a lot of people that will post in the Facebook group about empty rooms in apartments or houses that they are looking to fill or pass down that are good deals. Most people live within a ~10 minute walking distance to school. Some people bike or take public transportation if they live in center city and a handful of people commute from home or outside the city.
 
Congratulations to those accepted, see you this fall! (Was on a one year deferment for personal reasons; I applied last cycle)

And for those waiting or on the waitlist, dont lose hope!! I've seen applicants (per sdn posts) accepted months after interviewing. 🙂
 
Congratulations to those accepted, see you this fall! (Was on a one year deferment for personal reasons; I applied last cycle)

And for those waiting or on the waitlist, dont lose hope!! I've seen applicants (per sdn posts) accepted months after interviewing. 🙂
Looks like you should get around to changing your custom title. 😉
3E14D878-64E3-4677-8A6D-CF535160D387.jpeg
 
Does anyone know if its possible to live alone and not be pretty far from the school (within maybe 20-25 minutes, in or out of the city)? I am really set on living by myself at this point in my life and some places its just not possible without paying an arm, leg and kidney.
 
Does anyone know if its possible to live alone and not be pretty far from the school (within maybe 20-25 minutes, in or out of the city)? I am really set on living by myself at this point in my life and some places its just not possible without paying an arm, leg and kidney.
Yea absolutely! There are places that are one bedroom for around $800 to $900 a month. There are actually a couple places that are a few blocks from the vet school for around that price. There was some info about it on the Facebook page. As far as cheaper options outside of the city, I’m not sure but there are current students in the Facebook group that can probably give you better info.
 
Yea absolutely! There are places that are one bedroom for around $800 to $900 a month. There are actually a couple places that are a few blocks from the vet school for around that price. There was some info about it on the Facebook page. As far as cheaper options outside of the city, I’m not sure but there are current students in the Facebook group that can probably give you better info.
Oh okay that's awesome, thank you so much!! 😀
 
Does anyone know if its possible to live alone and not be pretty far from the school (within maybe 20-25 minutes, in or out of the city)? I am really set on living by myself at this point in my life and some places its just not possible without paying an arm, leg and kidney.

I live alone, and I have about a 20 min walk to school which isn't bad. The further you get from the immediate vicinity of campus, the more space you get for your money.
 
I live alone, and I have about a 20 min walk to school which isn't bad. The further you get from the immediate vicinity of campus, the more space you get for your money.
I've been considering living alone, too (I lived alone for the first time this past year and it's kind of great lol).
Do you think that living alone puts you at a disadvantage in terms of meeting people at vet school or taking part in group activities? Thank you 🙂
 
I've been considering living alone, too (I lived alone for the first time this past year and it's kind of great lol).
Do you think that living alone puts you at a disadvantage in terms of meeting people at vet school or taking part in group activities? Thank you 🙂
Nope. I think I know of 2 people who live far away and want to move closer because it gets tough to commute back in for evening events and to study/hang out (vs the people who live further out because they want to and want to stay further out), but most of us that live in West Philly and live alone don't feel that. We are all so close that we end up studying in one of the vet buildings, the library or often times at each other's houses so we can be with pets etc. Often times classes will create a social events page so you won't be left out.
 
Nope. I think I know of 2 people who live far away and want to move closer because it gets tough to commute back in for evening events and to study/hang out (vs the people who live further out because they want to and want to stay further out), but most of us that live in West Philly and live alone don't feel that. We are all so close that we end up studying in one of the vet buildings, the library or often times at each other's houses so we can be with pets etc. Often times classes will create a social events page so you won't be left out.
Good to know! Thank you so much
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There’s the PennVet Mansion that some current students talked about. Aside from that, it’s more just houses around Penn’s campus. If you’re in the Facebook group, check the google doc that has all of the housing listings with current students.

Thanks!!
 
Depends on your position on the waitlist. One year, it didn't move at all, but other years upwards of 20 spots moved. Contact Rob at admissions and see if he will tell you your spot. Good luck and hopefully you won't have to do the MPH for your gap year.
when the ranks came out I was told I was #18
 
Finally broke down and called Rob. Everything is good with my prerequisites. He said that if it’s been over two weeks since you’ve received confirmation of your deposit and you haven’t heard anything then it’s probably fine. But he checked for me and said I’m good. Also that we only need to send transcripts if there was something in progress that we needed to send them once it was completed. Otherwise we don’t need to send transcripts.
 
Finally broke down and called Rob. Everything is good with my prerequisites. He said that if it’s been over two weeks since you’ve received confirmation of your deposit and you haven’t heard anything then it’s probably fine. But he checked for me and said I’m good. Also that we only need to send transcripts if there was something in progress that we needed to send them once it was completed. Otherwise we don’t need to send transcripts.

This literally made me panic because I withdrew from a class this semester (it wasn't a prerequisite for Tufts or Penn and I decided to save the money). I hadn't even thought I might have to send in a transcript for just a withdrawal. I just called Rob and he was super nice and walked through all my prerequisites with me... Anyway, the moral of the story is you only need to send in transcripts for outstanding prerequisites!
 
This literally made me panic because I withdrew from a class this semester (it wasn't a prerequisite for Tufts or Penn and I decided to save the money). I hadn't even thought I might have to send in a transcript for just a withdrawal. I just called Rob and he was super nice and walked through all my prerequisites with me... Anyway, the moral of the story is you only need to send in transcripts for outstanding prerequisites!
I’m sorry! I meant what you said at the end. Only for prerequisites in progress.
 
Have the accepted students seen our FB garage sale page yet? I’m looking to get rid of some polo’s, scrubs, coveralls and my tingleys (all things you will need!)
Is that page posted in the VMD 2023 page? I don’t see it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!
I'm currently #4 on the waitlist. I was wondering what movement typically looks like before and after the April 15th deadline and if you’re usually notified of movement on the list or just if you get in? Thanks!
I am also early on the waitlist and I have emailed them a few times to see if there's been any movement. So far it seems as though there has not been much, but there is still a lot of time for things to move
 
Hey guys!
I'm currently #4 on the waitlist. I was wondering what movement typically looks like before and after the April 15th deadline and if you’re usually notified of movement on the list or just if you get in? Thanks!

I am also early on the waitlist and I have emailed them a few times to see if there's been any movement. So far it seems as though there has not been much, but there is still a lot of time for things to move

Last year it seems like the most movement happened during the few days/week after the deadline. A friend was in the teens ranking wise and had to send her deposit in to another school and about two days later she heard from Penn and was off the waitlist. The other school was nice enough to be understanding and didn't keep the deposit, so if that happens to you, maybe if you ask nicely you might not have to fork over a double deposit. Good luck and hang in there! The wait is almost over.
 
Hey guys!
I'm currently #4 on the waitlist. I was wondering what movement typically looks like before and after the April 15th deadline and if you’re usually notified of movement on the list or just if you get in? Thanks!

Hi! I don't know if this is helpful as it varies year to year, but last year some people early on the OOS list got called off the before the April 15th deadline. I don't know anyone from the IS waitlist so I can't vouch either way for IS movement other than I do know people who were called off of it eventually. Try not to stress too much, hope you get some good news soon. 🙂