UPenn c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are invites sent out all at once? Is there any chance more could be sent out in the evening?
Interview invites are usually sent out on a weekly basis for each interview date. For example the invites for interviews on 1/25 were sent out today. Interviews go through February so there are still many invites that haven’t been sent out yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS interview invite for 1/25 just now! Check your emails!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS interview 1/25 as well!!

Reactions: 10 users
Just got mine for the 25th! Small animal/research, OOS

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone is interviewing at penn 1/25 and tufts 1/28 let me know!!! my momma and I are flying philly to boston on saturday!

Hey sorry if this has been asked already but what format is the interview? I have mine next week! So excited!

Hey sorry if this has been asked already but what format is the interview? I have mine next week! So excited!
It’s pretty chill. Over the past few years they’ve occillated between one interviewer or two. Mostly it’s just a discussion. The interviewers are usually very personable and easy to talk to.

Good luck! Someone I know is also interviewing next Friday, and he’s the best.

It’s pretty chill. Over the past few years they’ve occillated between one interviewer or two. Mostly it’s just a discussion. The interviewers are usually very personable and easy to talk to.

Good luck! Someone I know is also interviewing next Friday, and he’s the best.

Thank you!!

I just received one yesterday for mixed animal but might not count for their large only day I heard they have

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do they have a separate day for each interest listed from their application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone previously said that in years past, they’ve generally had one day towards the end of interviews that they try to have most large animal people interview on because they go out to the new Bolton center and tour that.

No, just one day for large animal people, so they can go see New Bolton, like ski said. They can’t fit all large animal people in that day though, so some get interviewed on other days too.

Reactions: 1 user
I had my interview on Friday the 11th and just received an email that I am being placed "on hold" so they can review me again. Does anyone know how long that takes or what the chances of being accepted from "hold" are?

I had my interview on Friday the 11th and just received an email that I am being placed "on hold" so they can review me again. Does anyone know how long that takes or what the chances of being accepted from "hold" are?
So after the interview you can be accepted, denied or put “on hold” which basically means they can’t make a decision right away. From what I understand is that they review those on hold with each of the remaining interview groups. So you could potentially hear back after any of the next interview dates or may not hear until after all of the interviews are over. I don’t have personal experience with this or know what the chances are though, but maybe someone else on here does?

So after the interview you can be accepted, denied or put “on hold” which basically means they can’t make a decision right away. From what I understand is that they review those on hold with each of the remaining interview groups. So you could potentially hear back after any of the next interview dates or may not hear until after all of the interviews are over. I don’t have personal experience with this or know what the chances are though, but maybe someone else on here does?
This is also my understanding. Some people heard back the following week. I'm not sure of the chances of being accepted after being put on hold, but people definitely do. I wouldn't count yourself out yet.

Interviewed Friday and got an accepted call today not sure how it happened so fast but good luck to everyone!

I got an interview invite yesterday via email for February 1st! It is for the large animal/equine one where they take you to New Bolton

Reactions: 7 users
Do all large animal people get interviewed on Feb.1st? I am large animal one and haven’t heard anything so far, which totally stress me out

Do all large animal people get interviewed on Feb.1st? I am large animal one and haven’t heard anything so far, which totally stress me out

To my understanding large animal is also interviewed on other days! But they do reserve one day that is solely for large animal because they go out to New Bolton and that is a trek; they can’t do that for every large animal applicant so they just do it for the ones that get placed on the LA interview day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

There are so many people in the West Philadelphia neighborhood that have dogs, it's very pet friendly. And dogs are allowed in the PennVet student lounge and to happy hours! (as long as they are dog friendly of course)
Thanks! That makes me feel so much better! I still haven’t heard anything from penn and the waiting is killing me haha

I emailed the office recently to ask about another part of my application and also asked about this topic as well. Rob said that although they have a Large Animal Day where all applicants are in the equine/LA/Food interest areas go to NBC, applicants in those categories are interviewed throughout the cycle on days other than the NBC specific day. He also said that their review and interviews will most likely continue through the middle of February. I hope this eases any anxiety!

I emailed the office recently to ask about another part of my application and also asked about this topic as well. Rob said that although they have a Large Animal Day where all applicants are in the equine/LA/Food interest areas go to NBC, applicants in those categories are interviewed throughout the cycle on days other than the NBC specific day. He also said that their review and interviews will most likely continue through the middle of February.

Thanks for this info. I’m in state and hoping to do both large and small animal, but I haven’t heard anything from Penn yet, either. Definitely ready for the wait to be over, one way or another...

Thanks for this info. I’m in state and hoping to do both large and small animal, but I haven’t heard anything from Penn yet, either. Definitely ready for the wait to be over, one way or another...
Ditto!!! Ah, hang in there. Hoping for the best for you!!!

OOS Interview Invite for February 8th!

Edit: Areas of Interest: Aquatics, Small Animal, Research

Last edited:
Just got my invite for February 8th! In-state, small animal. No one lose hope yet

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all! I just got an OOS interview for feb 8th, governmental vet med

Just got an OOS interview also for Feb 8th!! I think I put mixed animal

Last edited:
Just got an OOS interview for small animal. I just declined it, so hopefully one of you get the spot!

Reactions: 6 users
OOS interview invite for 2/8! Small animal/gov and public health . I have an interview already scheduled for that day so hoping other schools are a little more forgiving on their rescheduling

Hooray! Putting my desire to hear something soon out into the interweb universe worked!

Just got an interview invite for the 8th. In state, small animal/large animal.

Congrats to everyone!

still haven't heard back :( starting to stress

still haven't heard back :( starting to stress
It's not over until it's over!! I'm in the same boat as you with waiting, but since we don't know the official last date of interviews we don't know if they've stopped sending out invitations! It's tough to keep positive about this of course, but we've done all we can and now we just wait:)
I also don't know if Penn has something like an "internal interview waitlist" where they don't tell applicants they're waitlisted for interviews, and just offer interviews to them if another candidate declines. So who knows!

but since we don't know the official last date of interviews we don't know if they've stopped sending out invitations! It's tough to keep positive about this of course, but we've done all we can and now we just wait

I was under the impression that we knew the last day of interviews was the 15th of February? Is this not the case, or does Penn also add in dates to interview past their last day like other schools?

Reactions: 1 users
I was under the impression that we knew the last day of interviews was the 15th of February? Is this not the case, or does Penn also add in dates to interview past their last day like other schools?
Honestly I have no idea! Every time I tried to look up specific dates for interviews I never found anything, I just knew that they go partway through February so I'm winging it:shrug:

It's not over until it's over!! I'm in the same boat as you with waiting, but since we don't know the official last date of interviews we don't know if they've stopped sending out invitations! It's tough to keep positive about this of course, but we've done all we can and now we just wait:)
I also don't know if Penn has something like an "internal interview waitlist" where they don't tell applicants they're waitlisted for interviews, and just offer interviews to them if another candidate declines. So who knows!

i didn’t hear back about an interview last year until january 31st! they normally give you atleast 2 weeks notice from what i understand

I know this question is insane but I cannot remember, for the life of me, what category I signed up for (small animal/large animal/gov/research etc). Do y’all know if there is a way to check that? I also have not heard back yet and I am so close to giving up completely!

Anyone know how much the interview is weighted in total? Like, I know some schools, once you reach the interview stage, only the interview is considered moving forward. Others take the whole app into consideration. Just wondering if anyone had any info on how Penn considers this stuff.

Anyone know how much the interview is weighted in total? Like, I know some schools, once you reach the interview stage, only the interview is considered moving forward. Others take the whole app into consideration. Just wondering if anyone had any info on how Penn considers this stuff.
I can't say 100% for sure, but I believe once you've been offered an interview, they already know the other aspects are good enough to offer you a spot, so it's mostly the interview that point.

Has anyone heard back from the first round of interviews? I know they said we would hear back within 10 days but last year most acceptances were sent out on the following Monday or Tuesday so just trying to gauge how they are proceeding this year

Has anyone heard back from the first round of interviews? I know they said we would hear back within 10 days but last year most acceptances were sent out on the following Monday or Tuesday so just trying to gauge how they are proceeding this year
I had the first Friday (Jan 12) and My one interviewer called me Monday after to tell me the decision. I haven’t heard anything since and they said official remarks go out like two weeks post and depending on who interviewed you, informal notices can go out earlier. I hope that helps!

I had the first Friday (Jan 12) and My one interviewer called me Monday after to tell me the decision. I haven’t heard anything since and they said official remarks go out like two weeks post and depending on who interviewed you, informal notices can go out earlier. I hope that helps!

Thanks for the clarification!

i know that someone said above that the interviews oscillate between 1-2 interviewers.... are we going to receive any more info from penn about the interview itself?
Western gave a TON of info which was nice. Tufts didn't give too much info, but at least gave a little blurb "You will have one interview with a team of two faculty members lasting approximately 30-40 minutes. They will have reviewed your application prior to your interview, so topics covered may be specific to your interests and background. The interview is intended to serve as an opportunity for mutual exchange; your questions about Tufts can be answered at this time." so I could have an idea of what to expect/how to prepare.
from the SDN interview page, i'm assuming open file, pretty conversational, and seems like it would be similar to Tufts, but it would be nice to get even a little information directly from the school about what to expect.

(i interview on Friday and i'm starting to get real nervous guys :nailbiting: )