UPenn c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i know that someone said above that the interviews oscillate between 1-2 interviewers.... are we going to receive any more info from penn about the interview itself?
Western gave a TON of info which was nice. Tufts didn't give too much info, but at least gave a little blurb "You will have one interview with a team of two faculty members lasting approximately 30-40 minutes. They will have reviewed your application prior to your interview, so topics covered may be specific to your interests and background. The interview is intended to serve as an opportunity for mutual exchange; your questions about Tufts can be answered at this time." so I could have an idea of what to expect/how to prepare.
from the SDN interview page, i'm assuming open file, pretty conversational, and seems like it would be similar to Tufts, but it would be nice to get even a little information directly from the school about what to expect.

(i interview on Friday and i'm starting to get real nervous guys :nailbiting: )

2 interviewers, about 30 minutes, a few set questions and then time for some follow-up. Mine were super nice! Good luck 🙂
 
OOS interview invite for 2/1 came through at 11:30 AM ET. It was specifically for the large animal day.

I do hope we get to see the Philadelphia campus though! I worry that being assigned a day specifically for this interest area (although it is my main area of interest) sort of puts me in a "box". Is this assignment just to accommodate a visit to NBC or does it go further than than in terms of a "track"?

Thanks so much and congrats to everyone who has interviewed!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS interview invite for 2/1 came through at 11:30 AM ET. It was specifically for the large animal day.

I do hope we get to see the Philadelphia campus though! I worry that being assigned a day specifically for this interest area (although it is my main area of interest) sort of puts me in a "box". Is this assignment just to accommodate a visit to NBC or does it go further than than in terms of a "track"?

Thanks so much and congrats to everyone who has interviewed!
It's just for the NBC visit that day! You don't "track" until you go into clinics end of third year 🙂
 
i know that someone said above that the interviews oscillate between 1-2 interviewers.... are we going to receive any more info from penn about the interview itself?
Western gave a TON of info which was nice. Tufts didn't give too much info, but at least gave a little blurb "You will have one interview with a team of two faculty members lasting approximately 30-40 minutes. They will have reviewed your application prior to your interview, so topics covered may be specific to your interests and background. The interview is intended to serve as an opportunity for mutual exchange; your questions about Tufts can be answered at this time." so I could have an idea of what to expect/how to prepare.
from the SDN interview page, i'm assuming open file, pretty conversational, and seems like it would be similar to Tufts, but it would be nice to get even a little information directly from the school about what to expect.

(i interview on Friday and i'm starting to get real nervous guys :nailbiting: )
I just went through the interview process this past Friday and I had 2 interviewers (I think most people had 2) and the interview was 30 mins long. The whole process was pretty conversational and they tag teamed the questions. As for preparation, I went through the questions for PennVet on SDN and they were pretty similar to what I got. In terms of numbers, they interview about 280 and accept around 120. They also tell you that you will hear back in 10 days but I just got my call this morning. Best of luck to you!!!
 
OOS interview invite for 2/1 came through at 11:30 AM ET. It was specifically for the large animal day.

I do hope we get to see the Philadelphia campus though! I worry that being assigned a day specifically for this interest area (although it is my main area of interest) sort of puts me in a "box". Is this assignment just to accommodate a visit to NBC or does it go further than than in terms of a "track"?

Thanks so much and congrats to everyone who has interviewed!
You do see the Philadelphia campus! I started there in the morning and saw the small animal hospital and then they bused us out to NBC for the rest of the day. Good luck!!
 
I called Rob DiMeo today to ask about the status of the official packet since it has been about 10 days since I received the call. He told me that no official letters have been sent out yet and that they will start to send the first ones this week. Just thought I would share the update!!

He also said that all other correspondence will be via email but they do this particular thing by snail mail.
 
i know that someone said above that the interviews oscillate between 1-2 interviewers.... are we going to receive any more info from penn about the interview itself?
Western gave a TON of info which was nice. Tufts didn't give too much info, but at least gave a little blurb "You will have one interview with a team of two faculty members lasting approximately 30-40 minutes. They will have reviewed your application prior to your interview, so topics covered may be specific to your interests and background. The interview is intended to serve as an opportunity for mutual exchange; your questions about Tufts can be answered at this time." so I could have an idea of what to expect/how to prepare.
from the SDN interview page, i'm assuming open file, pretty conversational, and seems like it would be similar to Tufts, but it would be nice to get even a little information directly from the school about what to expect.

(i interview on Friday and i'm starting to get real nervous guys :nailbiting: )
I know it will be a long day, but come to happy hour afterwards! It's a nice way to meet lots of current students without the pressure of anyone observing you. Plus you get to ask all the questions you didn't feel asking the admission reps.
 
I know it will be a long day, but come to happy hour afterwards! It's a nice way to meet lots of current students without the pressure of anyone observing you. Plus you get to ask all the questions you didn't feel asking the admission reps.

Are we allowed to bring any guests to the happy hour? I’m traveling with my parents and would need to bring them with me if I went.
 
I know it will be a long day, but come to happy hour afterwards! It's a nice way to meet lots of current students without the pressure of anyone observing you. Plus you get to ask all the questions you didn't feel asking the admission reps.

What is this happy hour you speak of? My interview is on Friday.

It's nice that they let you know so quickly if you were accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we allowed to bring any guests to the happy hour? I’m traveling with my parents and would need to bring them with me if I went.

I can confirm with the one of the admissions reps later today what the deal for parents of interviewees are, but on any given Friday happy hour, someone's parents or significant other is always in attendance so my first guess is that it shouldn't be a problem. I'll let you know 🙂

What is this happy hour you speak of? My interview is on Friday.

It's nice that they let you know so quickly if you were accepted.

Every Friday the Vet school has it's own happy hour. Beer (and sometimes snacks) are free. It's a nice way to unwind after a long week of classes and/or exams. When the weather is nice it's in the Vet courtyard and when it's cold, it's in the student lounge. Dogs that are well behaved and documented with the happy hour committee are always welcome 🙂

Yeah -- knowing so early on the Penn was locked down made the rest of the interviews much more low stress and even enjoyable!

Mine too!!!! Maybe we’ll meet!

Meeting fellow SDNers is always fun 🙂 I remember connecting with the people in my class last year. as well as those from other years. You guys should come say hi in person if you're not too shy!
 
I can confirm with the one of the admissions reps later today what the deal for parents of interviewees are, but on any given Friday happy hour, someone's parents or significant other is always in attendance so my first guess is that it shouldn't be a problem. I'll let you know 🙂
@dancelover12 Sorry, parents of interviewee's at the happy hour is a no go :/
 
@dancelover12 Sorry, parents of interviewee's at the happy hour is a no go :/

Is the happy hour right after interviews? I’d like to stop by for a little while but my mom is also with me so I don’t want to ditch her for too long since she’s taking off work to hang out with me and be moral support lol
 
Is the happy hour right after interviews? I’d like to stop by for a little while but my mom is also with me so I don’t want to ditch her for too long since she’s taking off work to hang out with me and be moral support lol

I really hope so! Good luck!

Happy Hour is at 5, and should be right after the last interviews/building tours are done 🙂
 
So I guess that means the last wave of interview invites will be going out within the next couple of days. My SO is already at Penn so fingers crossed
Now I'm wondering who your SO is... though I probably don't know them if they aren't in my class. There are very few people I know in the lower classes.
@dancelover12 Sorry, parents of interviewee's at the happy hour is a no go :/
What? Since when? They were definitely allowed when I interviewed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably not. They're not in the vet school...gonna be a different kind of doctor!
Yeah, I definitely don't know them. Unless you meant Drexel and you are actually dating @Melchizedek, in which case, he's awesome and gives good hugs.
Rob told the admissions reps last week is what one of them mentioned to me :shrug:
That's a bummer, and a new development. I know the rule for other happy hours has been that guests don't get to drink (I think) but they are welcome to come hang out. I would maybe check with admissions people during your interview, and then let us all know, so that future groups know as well.
 
Also, if any vegetarian/vegans are here or coming for interviews later, V Street has veryyyy yummy all vegan food and drinks.
My mom and I are gonna eat at Vedge (also vegan, same chef) tomorrow and I’ll report back. But based on v street I have high hopes.
V street is more of a tapas bar feel, vedge is more restaurant-y from what I’ve heard 😛
 
Also, if any vegetarian/vegans are here or coming for interviews later, V Street has veryyyy yummy all vegan food and drinks.
My mom and I are gonna eat at Vedge (also vegan, same chef) tomorrow and I’ll report back. But based on v street I have high hopes.
V street is more of a tapas bar feel, vedge is more restaurant-y from what I’ve heard 😛

I also recommend Hip City Veg. There's a lot of good veggie food in Philadelphia
 
Also, if any vegetarian/vegans are here or coming for interviews later, V Street has veryyyy yummy all vegan food and drinks.
My mom and I are gonna eat at Vedge (also vegan, same chef) tomorrow and I’ll report back. But based on v street I have high hopes.
V street is more of a tapas bar feel, vedge is more restaurant-y from what I’ve heard 😛
The owners of vedge used to have a restaurant called Horizons Cafe, and it was so amazing. I even have their cookbook.
 
If anyone is here, I’m staying at the inn at penn (the one on campus) if anyone wants to grab a drink in the lobby or something. My mom gets in late tonight so I’m just killing time 😛

Sorry, was working on research proposal last night, but I'll be at the Happy Hour if you end up coming for a bit. Look for the small black cocker spaniel!

I’m unfortunately out at NBC, and I think I came down with the flu or something.
Hang in there 🙁

I also recommend Hip City Veg. There's a lot of good veggie food in Philadelphia
Oh yeah, I spend 90% of my time hanging out with a Vegan so we've found some pretty awesome spots. Clarkville even has a vegan pizza that's pretty darn good!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any words of encouragement for those IS who haven't gotten an interview invite yet. I'm starting to feel really discouraged. 🙁
 
Does anyone have any words of encouragement for those IS who haven't gotten an interview invite yet. I'm starting to feel really discouraged. 🙁
I'm in the same boat. I'm IS and haven't hear anything either. I'm past discouraged at this point 🙁