Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There used to be a feature as to when a member was "Last Seen." Could this be added back in?
This seems unchanged to me and works as before. Many people have their privacy settings, specifically the "Show your online status" and "Show your current activity" options unchecked, so the "Last Seen" won't be visible on their profile.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In case it hasn't been said before.... I've been away for a while and came back to this horrific interface that just doesn't work well on mobile (admittedly it's better but generic looking on desktop). But this isn't about that....

While trying to change the layout, it wouldn't accept me making any changes to my preferences until I passed the loyalty oath questions. Annoying but ultimately that's all it was. But others are saying these questions aren't supposed to be for established posters - but it was a required thing for me to save and enact any changes on my profile. So.... If this hasn't been brought up before I am bringing it up.

(That's #2 on the list)

Down arrow still missing on desktop Basic though (in addition to Mobile as listed)

@WildWing some emoticons were lost in the update. Could you kindly readd them? The BB codes need to be modified though. Thanks:

coffee.png
= :coffee:

sneaky.png
= :sneaky:

unsure.png
= :unsure:

I'm a bit late to the party but WOW does this "upgrade" suck

@WildWing
I believe there is currently a bug where the first 2-3 messages in a new page of a PM kind of "disappear" until the number of posts on the new page surpasses 2-3 posts. Like if I click the link to go to the first new message of that PM it'll just take me to the n-1 page with no option to go to the next page.

@WildWing
I believe there is currently a bug where the first 2-3 messages in a new page of a PM kind of "disappear" until the number of posts on the new page surpasses 2-3 posts. Like if I click the link to go to the first new message of that PM it'll just take me to the n-1 page with no option to go to the next page.
Thanks for the report. We're going to make a change to caching settings to see if it resolves the issue.

Thanks for the report. We're going to make a change to caching settings to see if it resolves the issue.

if it matters, I've only noticed it in the one specific pm. Haven't noticed the same issue in some other multi page pms

edit: I pm'd you more info

Members don't see this ad :)
I am naughty and have an adblocker in place on my browser. I use Quizlet for flashcards for school and they have flashing ads that made it hard to study, so I got the adblocker recently (this spring).

I donated $1 to SDN when I enabled adblock not long ago (March-ish) to cover my share of Google ads.

However, I am still getting the red error message to disable Adblock or donate to SDN instead. But, I did donate as soon as I got the adblocker.

Did I need to be a higher donor? Is this an error?

I am naughty and have an adblocker in place on my browser. I use Quizlet for flashcards for school and they have flashing ads that made it hard to study, so I got the adblocker recently (this spring).

I donated $1 to SDN when I enabled adblock not long ago (March-ish) to cover my share of Google ads.

However, I am still getting the red error message to disable Adblock or donate to SDN instead. But, I did donate as soon as I got the adblocker.

Did I need to be a higher donor? Is this an error?
Why not just whitelist SDN?

I'm going to be honest and tell you I have no idea how. I looked up directions and couldn't figure it out. I tried for 20 minutes....
What adblocker are you using? most of them you can just click the icon in the toolbar and it's one button to whitelist the site you're currently on.

What adblocker are you using? most of them you can just click the icon in the toolbar and it's one button to whitelist the site you're currently on.

Got it! That's much less complicated than the directions I was using before that made me want to scream. :)

Thank you!!

Did you try the Basic style?

I really like the style of basic but don't like how it doesn't show someones status i.e. pre-med, med student, resident, etc. But overall using basic is definitely better imo.

any chance we can get the time between creating PMs reduced back to what it was (10-20 seconds). It's a little ridiculous to have it set to 3 minutes. Especially for when WW games are modded

Reactions: 2 users
Can we also make it so that the OP of a thread can lock a thread but still be able to post? I used to be able to create a thread, lock it, and then post as long as I clicked through a warning

Oh and the thread tools do not appear in the post thread page anymore. You can get them after you create the thread but not during so I can't even lock a thread from the start

For some reason -- and this was working in the few weeks after the upgrade but only recently changed -- my user preference to not use the advanced text editor isn't "sticking." I have to constantly click the gearhead icon in the far right of the toolbar to "Toggle BB code" so that it's disabled. In the past, there was a a User Preference to either use it (like most people) or not use it (my preference for better performance on older computers and mobile), and the system would remember my settings forever.

Not sure if this is intentional, but when you've deactivated formatting tools (bold, text size, etc) it also greys out the save/delete draft button, so you have to re-enable formatting tools to save or delete draft. (Of course it'll still do those things automatically, but you can't do them manually.)

(iOS 12.2 Safari browser)

Edit: I'm dumb, you couldn't do that on the old system either.

Last edited:
It is currently set to 365 days. Is there a strong need to bump posts that are older than a year?
I happened across one specific forum from 7 years prior that I wanted to know more about. Just PM'd the guy, but still.

Reactions: 1 users
It is currently set to 365 days. Is there a strong need to bump posts that are older than a year?

Sure. It won't happen all the time, but it should be an option. I feel the popup warning that we had before the forum switch was a good compromise. It still allowed us to bump older threads as needed, but I feel it did cut down on the needless bumps.

Sure. It won't happen all the time, but it should be an option. I feel the popup warning that we had before the forum switch was a good compromise. It still allowed us to bump older threads as needed, but I feel it did cut down on the needless bumps.
I'm actually supportive of this. I suppose a hard stop for a certain period of time (3 years, 5 years, 10 years) with a warning for everything "younger" would be a reasonable compromise.

Yes, in my opinion. Some thread topics are "timeless" repositories of on-topic knowledge and discussion. I have some emergency preparedness threads and other general discussion where it just seems fragmented and disorganized to create a new thread only to refer to the original thread. Threads can go on for years/decades with no perceived lapse in continuity just because it's been a year or two between posts.

I can see many uses cases in Lounge and SPF where time and date don't really apply to the discussion, and by and large, users are responsible with "necrobumping." There's legislation that can take multiple Congressional sessions (years) to go from bill to law. Or discussion on a Supreme Court case as the legal challenges take years to go up the judicial chain. If I want to continue discussion on a case that was decided in 2008, that's 11 years ago on the calendar, but it's silly and disorganized to create a new thread and lose valuable analysis, essays, and discussion from a decade ago.

In the professional/pre-professional forums, I can see "updates" being useful, such as the OP finishing a 2-year Master's or Post-Bacc, or success stories where someone updates their own thread with "I graduated with my ___. Don't lose hope!" or whatever. Or bumping a "Class of 2017" thread in 2019 to discuss the job market or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm actually supportive of this. I suppose a hard stop for a certain period of time (3 years, 5 years, 10 years) with a warning for everything "younger" would be a reasonable compromise.
I'm against a hard stop since certain "How To" threads are timeless. (Just an opinion from a user of course.)

I'd rather judiciously bump an old thread than start a new thread and nag/PM a mod to merge the old with the new, yanno? Why punish the entire user base off the actions of a few bad apples who abuse it?

Heck, if leadership is so adamant and think it's such an abused problem and want a real compromise, allow donors (+/- Verified Physicians, etc.) to necrobump if the "abuse" typically comes from new users? I don't mind paying a few bucks just for the 2-3 times per year where I need to update an old thread and believe it's not disruptive at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For this item: Add number of messages still unread beside Next Page button

Can someone mark up a screen shot of what this looked like in the old version of forums? I don't recall how it used to work. Upload it to this thread and tag me so I can send it to the developer.

For this item: Add number of messages still unread beside Next Page button

Can someone mark up a screen shot of what this looked like in the old version of forums? I don't recall how it used to work. Upload it to this thread and tag me so I can send it to the developer.

I don't have any old versions available to mark, but basically it said something like 7 more messages or whatever the count was beside the next page button.

Wasn't able to post in the EM forum hockey thread. Last post there was less than 2 years ago. However, was able to post in the "ask any tech support question here" thread, where the last post was just under a year ago. Why not bring back the pop up that lets you click, then post? The paternalistic pop up that says "it probably doesn't need bumping" is, well, paternalistic.

Wasn't able to post in the EM forum hockey thread. Last post there was less than 2 years ago. However, was able to post in the "ask any tech support question here" thread, where the last post was just under a year ago. Why not bring back the pop up that lets you click, then post? The paternalistic pop up that says "it probably doesn't need bumping" is, well, paternalistic.

I agree. Having a warning box to notify about bumping like we had before is better.

Not sure if this has been addressed anywhere, but I use the SDN dark theme and unless I am on my phone, I cannot see text on several threads, as well as with some banners.
Here is an example where I had to highlight the text in order to see it.

I notice a similar issue when I am on my iPad. Please advise,

Nip12

Not sure if this has been addressed anywhere, but I use the SDN dark theme and unless I am on my phone, I cannot see text on several threads, as well as with some banners.

View attachment 267596

Nip12

I think it's because the text color in the posts was set as black (so appearing as black text on black background) as opposed to automatic (which should change font color automatically with theme change).

View attachment 267596

Nip12

Actually wait nvm. I don't see an issue in my laptop on dark theme:

picture.jpg

Trying clearing out your browser cache and see if it helps.

Thanks, @Lawper
I tried to clear the browser cache but could not get it to change unfortunately. Typically I ignore it and simply hop onto my phone (or log out and read with the default theme) but figured I should say something at least.