UQ-Ochsner 2019 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi. I was wondering how queensland does their assessments? Is it only test based or are there other things like projects and not that ate part of your grade? Also, how many tests are there in a year/semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I was wondering how queensland does their assessments? Is it only test based or are there other things like projects and not that ate part of your grade? Also, how many tests are there in a year/semester?
The online presentation will start later today. You can ask directly when current students talk about their experiences.

There's typical exams (computer based, MC), Anatomy spotters (which after last semester are going to be all MC), some participation/tutor assessments, clinical skills examinations, patient interviews, papers, and group projects between the four classes each semester. Suffice to say, though, the bulk of what makes up GPA is the exams because Ethics and Clinical Practice are Pass/Fail, 100% of Clinical Science grade is exam/spotter exam, and Health, Society, and Research (HSR) has a major exam component, although along with a paper and group assignment both semesters in first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
To add on for assessment in the clinical years, each rotation is different AND the curriculum is changing. They're adding a longitudinal portfolio for the clinical years beginning with the c/o 2020. For third year rotations, each has some CPA (clinical participation assessment, looks at domains like professionalism, communication, etc) pass/fail component where you're evaluated by the residents and staff physicians you work with, sometimes with multiple CPAs turned in and 1 overall CPA done by the course director. Some rotations have an OSCE (peds, ob/gyn), surgery has a POMR and MCQ/SAQ, medicine has a long case and prepared cases, mental health has a clinical interview/VIVA/MCQ, peds has MCQ, ob/gyn has MCQ. All have shelf exams but they haven't been a component of your grade. You're encouraged to study for them and take them seriously, though - if you do very well it will go on your MSPE (dean's letter), and they're good preparation for Step 2 CK.

But we're moving to a semester model. Next year, third years will have medicine x 9 weeks and surgery x 9 weeks in one semester, and the other semester 6 weeks each of pediatrics, ob/gyn and mental health. Year 4 will be a semester with a GP/PLC (personalized learning course aka elective)/MIS (medicine in society) combination, and the other semester medical subspecialty x 6 weeks, ED/orthopedics each for 3 weeks, and anesthesia/ICU/ophtho each for 2 weeks. With the semester model, you'll take 1 exam based on that semester's blocks, so year 3's have an end-of-semester exam covering medicine & surgery, and another covering peds, ob/gyn & mental health. 4th years will have one exam on GP/MIS (the PLC is an elective and the assessment sounds like it's to write a reflective piece on how the experience has helped your future career in medicine), and the other end-of-semester exam on anesthesia/ICU/ophtho/ED/ortho/medical specialties.

Reactions: 3 users
There's typical exams (computer based, MC), Anatomy spotters (which after last semester are going to be all MC), some participation/tutor assessments, clinical skills examinations, patient interviews, papers, and group projects between the four classes each semester. Suffice to say, though, the bulk of what makes up GPA is the exams because Ethics and Clinical Practice are Pass/Fail, 100% of Clinical Science grade is exam/spotter exam, and Health, Society, and Research (HSR) has a major exam component, although along with a paper and group assignment both semesters in first year.

Thank you for your detailed reply. For the clinical science grade, how many exams are there in a year. Is there multiple midterms or it all just one end of year exam.

To add on for assessment in the clinical years, each rotation is different AND the curriculum is changing. They're adding a longitudinal portfolio for the clinical years beginning with the c/o 2020. For third year rotations, each has some CPA (clinical participation assessment, looks at domains like professionalism, communication, etc) pass/fail component where you're evaluated by the residents and staff physicians you work with, sometimes with multiple CPAs turned in and 1 overall CPA done by the course director. Some rotations have an OSCE (peds, ob/gyn), surgery has a POMR and MCQ/SAQ, medicine has a long case and prepared cases, mental health has a clinical interview/VIVA/MCQ, peds has MCQ, ob/gyn has MCQ. All have shelf exams but they haven't been a component of your grade. You're encouraged to study for them and take them seriously, though - if you do very well it will go on your MSPE (dean's letter), and they're good preparation for Step 2 CK.

But we're moving to a semester model. Next year, third years will have medicine x 9 weeks and surgery x 9 weeks in one semester, and the other semester 6 weeks each of pediatrics, ob/gyn and mental health. Year 4 will be a semester with a GP/PLC (personalized learning course aka elective)/MIS (medicine in society) combination, and the other semester medical subspecialty x 6 weeks, ED/orthopedics each for 3 weeks, and anesthesia/ICU/ophtho each for 2 weeks. With the semester model, you'll take 1 exam based on that semester's blocks, so year 3's have an end-of-semester exam covering medicine & surgery, and another covering peds, ob/gyn & mental health. 4th years will have one exam on GP/MIS (the PLC is an elective and the assessment sounds like it's to write a reflective piece on how the experience has helped your future career in medicine), and the other end-of-semester exam on anesthesia/ICU/ophtho/ED/ortho/medical specialties.

Thank you for your reply.

Interviewed: 9/13
Notified of "passing": 9/18
Accepted: 9/26

It's official.:soexcited::love::clap:

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed: 9/13
Notified of "passing": 9/18
Accepted: 9/26

It's official.:soexcited::love::clap:

Congrats! How was your interview? I know you're not allowed to give specifics but I'm pretty nervous despite people saying it's pretty easy to pass. Did you use all 6 minutes for your questions?

Congrats! How was your interview? I know you're not allowed to give specifics but I'm pretty nervous despite people saying it's pretty easy to pass. Did you use all 6 minutes for your questions?
I would definitely say not to be nervous. I read and re-read these boards and everything I could get my hands on before my interview in an attempt to be "ready" and in the end it was not nearly as bad as I made it out to be in my head. The interview happens just like other have said here. Just be ready to give examples and stick to answering the questions. I don't think I used the full time on any question. I tried my best to make sure I stayed on task and didn't ramble.

Don't be nervous. I promise you will do just fine and I think they do a great job of providing support before the interview with all the "pre-interview" stuff they have you do.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your detailed reply. For the clinical science grade, how many exams are there in a year. Is there multiple midterms or it all just one end of year exam.
For Clinical Science, there is a midterm and a final for each semester. The midterm is just a simple multiple choice, computer based exam. The final is made of two parts, a computer based multi-choice exam like the midterm, and an anatomy spotter which is also supposed to be all multiple choice, but may contain fill in the blank/1-2 word free response (faculty told us that for semester 2 this year, the anatomy spotter would be multiple choice only, but I dont know if that will apply for first semester next year).

Interviewed on Skype 9/27, notified today that I didn't pass. Best of luck to anyone else still interviewing.

Same here- i didn't pass the interview. Can you reapply for 2020 if failed the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give us an idea of what the hours are like for rotations? I am looking at the website for the Ochsner Medical Student Association and the time commitment seems rather minimal by the standards of other schools (some less than 40 hours/week, suregery 50-60, etc). I'm wondering how accurate this actually is.

Interviewed on Skype 9/27, notified today that I didn't pass. Best of luck to anyone else still interviewing.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you'll get in the upcoming application cycle.

Maybe interview passing depends on the class size being full?

Same here- i didn't pass the interview. Can you reapply for 2020 if failed the interview?
Yes, you can reapply provided your GPA and test scores meet the cutoff (which seems to be minimally changing every cycle)

I have a feeling that the interview pass rates are highly dependent on the timeline of the cycle and how much room there is left in the class.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope they provide you with some useful feedback. I agree with others that it might heavily have to do with the available seats.

How'd your interview go? I'm sure it went great!
It went well! Received notification that I passed yesterday. Crossing my fingers that there are a few open spots left for this cohort. Last I spoke to Whitney ( 2-3 weeks ago), they were expecting to fill the class around this time... but we'll see

It went well! Received notification that I passed yesterday. Crossing my fingers that there are a few open spots left for this cohort. Last I spoke to Whitney ( 2-3 weeks ago), they were expecting to fill the class around this time... but we'll see
YAY! Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you in Brisbane. :) PS Alex told me they were 3/4ths full when I accepted my offer last week so I think you still have a good chance.

Can someone give us an idea of what the hours are like for rotations? I am looking at the website for the Ochsner Medical Student Association and the time commitment seems rather minimal by the standards of other schools (some less than 40 hours/week, suregery 50-60, etc). I'm wondering how accurate this actually is.

I mean they aren't gonna post anything crazy about hours on a public website. They want it to sound amazing right?! Same probably goes for residency, in that the official work hour restrictions don't reflect actual practice :)

It is impossible to answer your question accurately. The hours for rotations vary widely depending on the rotation itself, and also your schedule within the rotation. You don't get to choose your schedule within a rotation they will assign you to various teams and/or satellite hospitals at times, and the expectations for each attending, resident team, and whatever you are on week to week will vary. Also patient volume dependent, some weeks are slower than others.

It's really hard to provide accurate numbers for you because my schedule will have been different from the person next to me, etc, and each week is so different. Ultimately you just go home when you're dismissed. For some rotations you are in by 5:30 am or 6 am, and out by 5 pm, so a true 12 hours. But even on surgery there are lighter services where there isn't much going on in the afternoon so you go home. Occasionally you will have longer days if an afternoon surgery for example takes longer than expected but I found that rare. On IM when you are on call every 5 days you will be there for at least 12 hours. Clinic weeks usually start by 8 am and out by 4-5 pm. Sometimes you need to wake up earlier to travel to satellite hospitals that can be 40-50 mins away. Some weeks you do more and thus its more tiring, other weeks you mostly shadow and hang out. Other weeks there aren't many patients or surgeries and you get out by noon on some days or earlier. Sometimes you will be on nights. Every day and week can be so different.

I can tell you that no matter what you will spend plenty of time on rotations in third year, no matter the hours. You will be tired. And you will still study afterwards when you get home.

Getting out early is a blessing you will love and be thankful for and the time commitment posted is not something you need to worry yourself about-- trust me you will be in that hospital for more time than you want.

*To sum up, I wish I could provide you accurate numbers but it wouldn't make sense because literally every day and week is so different. There are days I'm home by noon and other days I'm on service until 5-6 pm or later. There are days I started at 5:30 am and other days I started at 8 am.

Hours are not only dependent on the service and schedule but also on the student. Some students just won’t leave and then complain about long hours even after they’re told to go home. I will tell you that the suffering in 3rd year is worth it because 4th year is a breeze comparatively.

I'm in need of some counsel. I'm currently sitting on an interview offer from a US allopathic school and an offer from Ochsner. 3rd application cycle. Interviewed at US allopathic schools previous 2 cycles, and waitlisted last year. My fear is that even if I interview this year, I may not be able to get into a US school, and if I do not accept the offer from Ochsner, I may delay things for another year yet again.

I'm in need of some counsel. I'm currently sitting on an interview offer from a US allopathic school and an offer from Ochsner. 3rd application cycle. Interviewed at US allopathic schools previous 2 cycles, and waitlisted last year. My fear is that even if I interview this year, I may not be able to get into a US school, and if I do not accept the offer from Ochsner, I may delay things for another year yet again.

When is the interview? Can you pay the deposit to UQO to hold your seat and see if you get accepted to the allopathic school in the meantime between now and January? Tough decision but I think an offer in your hand is worth more than 2 in the bush, especially since it is your 3rd application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have a timeline for when you'll receive a Confirmation of Enrollment after paying the deposit/health insurance? Also, has anyone ever gotten admission but not a CoE due to seats filling up in the time it took to process necessary documents? Is this possible?

Does anyone have a timeline for when you'll receive a Confirmation of Enrollment after paying the deposit/health insurance? Also, has anyone ever gotten admission but not a CoE due to seats filling up in the time it took to process necessary documents? Is this possible?
I sent in deposit 9/19 and got CoE 10/5. If they told you they’re sending your stuff over to UQ after you payed the deposit I think you’re good.

Just accepted my offer, hope to see you all soon :)

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but it seems like UQ-Ochsner will be changing the interview format to MMI (Multiple Mini Interview) starting from Feb 2020 cycle. I felt like the change is quite significant (at least to me lol...), so I thought I should share this for the future applicants.

Applying in 2019 for 2020

Applying through the Graduate Entry Pathway
  • Applicants will need to participate in an MMI as a part of the admissions process to be considered for graduate offers into MD Program in 2020.
  • Subject Pre-requisites are not required for enrolment in 2020.
Who will be interviewed and when?
In 2019 the Faculty of Medicine will invite eligible Graduate Entry Applicants for an interview for 2020 intake. This includes domestic, international and UQ-Ochsner Pathway applicants. Eligible Provisional Entry Applicants will be invited for interview in 2020 for the 2021 intake.

Sources:
Changes to MD admissions
Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI)

Sorry to hear that. Do you mind telling if you were above the minimum stats? or if there were glaring red flags.

Sorry to hear that. Any insight on why they didn't pass you? From what I understood, the interview was more of a formality given that the person meets the min stats.

Applied a little late took my MCAT Aug 31st completed my application around October 3rd
Interviewed: October 18th (via Skype)
Notified of "passing": October 26th
Accepted: October 30th

Reactions: 2 users
Applied a little late took my MCAT Aug 31st completed my application around October 3rd
Congrats! welcome to the cohort. :)

Congrats!! and so rad you heard back so quickly!

I was a late applicant too, so my interview isn't until 11/29... the waiting game is killing me. I've been doing a ton of research to learn as much about the school as I can, and have also been writing out and consolidating my experiences as they pertain to those five topics. If you, or anyone, has any advice or feedback from the experience I am all ears!

Hope to be joining y'all in Feb :)

Pocket this for when others claim that rolling admissions somehow implies that it's best to apply early.

Does anyone know the Ochsner policy on deferring your acceptance by a year?

Pocket this for when others claim that rolling admissions somehow implies that it's best to apply early.
Yea, what’re the odds I apply now before the final interview date and score an interview? I can’t believe I hadn’t heard about this opportunity until just recently.

Yea, what’re the odds I apply now before the final interview date and score an interview? I can’t believe I hadn’t heard about this opportunity until just recently.
It's free to apply, so might as well give it a shot.

Will it look negative if I submit the same application come next year when the new cycle opens?
Don't quote me on this, but iirc if your application and documents are submitted late then they will be reviewed in the following app cycle.

Don't quote me on this, but iirc if your application and documents are submitted late then they will be reviewed in the following app cycle.
So for cycle of intake of 2020? I emailed somebody yesterday asking about that and I have yet to get a response -_- I’ll submit my things tonight and see what happens.

That's correct as far I know.

So for cycle of intake of 2020? I emailed somebody yesterday asking about that and I have yet to get a response -_- I’ll submit my things tonight and see what happens.

If you qualify for an interview and there are no slots for this year left, I am pretty sure they will roll you over to the next application cycle. Others in my current cohort had it happen to them last year. If you don't hear back via email, both Alex and Toby have been really great about answer calls in my experience. I'd just give them a ring to really get all your questions answered.

And not to deter you from applying this cycle... (I'm going to assume you do fabulous and get into the 2019 cohort for this next statement) in all honestly, getting all the requirements completed in time post acceptance would be rough. There are a lot of requirements for the visa and the school that are on a four + week timeline and it's out of your control. I got accepted at the end of September and my CoE didn't come until November. You can't apply for your visa without it. Another time lag can come with the panel physician requirement. You won't know if you need to see one until after you submit for your visa and then you won't know how long it will take for you to get an appointment with the physician (who hopefully is in your city and doesn't require you to travel) until after you find out if you need to complete a physician panel visit. Just thought I'd share a little of this if it will help you in your decision to try and apply this cycle. :)

If you qualify for an interview and there are no slots for this year left, I am pretty sure they will roll you over to the next application cycle. Others in my current cohort had it happen to them last year. If you don't hear back via email, both Alex and Toby have been really great about answer calls in my experience. I'd just give them a ring to really get all your questions answered.

And not to deter you from applying this cycle... (I'm going to assume you do fabulous and get into the 2019 cohort for this next statement) in all honestly, getting all the requirements completed in time post acceptance would be rough. There are a lot of requirements for the visa and the school that are on a four + week timeline and it's out of your control. I got accepted at the end of September and my CoE didn't come until November. You can't apply for your visa without it. Another time lag can come with the panel physician requirement. You won't know if you need to see one until after you submit for your visa and then you won't know how long it will take for you to get an appointment with the physician (who hopefully is in your city and doesn't require you to travel) until after you find out if you need to complete a physician panel visit. Just thought I'd share a little of this if it will help you in your decision to try and apply this cycle. :)

Hey! I'm a late applicant myself, and had similar worries as you. I applied mid October (I think a day before the last two Oct interview dates), and was told by Alex that I still had as decent of a chance as anyone, aside from the obvious numbers and class space concerns. I don't know how things have changed since that date, because more people have since been accepted and accepter their offers. That being said, it's worth a shot. She told me the class would be 80-90% full by the last batch of interviews, with that batch filling up the class (and then some, so people would be auto rolled over to the next cohort... and yes it is a guaranteed auto roll over and acceptance if you are accepted the previous year). In terms of the visa, because that was also a concern of mine, she said what students have done in the past is apply for the visitor visa. This visa is easy to get, and allows you access to Australia for up to six months with the ability to take classes. They do this, knowing the student visa process can take a minute. So, you would have access to the country and apply for the student visa from Australia. Obviously, it's not ideal because who wants to be worrying about these things while also adjusting to med school BUT it is doable and has been done by students in the past; then, everything in terms of first aid cert requirements, or physician panel etc. can be done from Oz. I had a nearly 2 hour convo with Alex a week or so after I applied, and she was super forthcoming with answers to all of my concerns being a late applicant. She also answered many questions I didn't even know I had which was great! I would highly suggest applying and giving her a call. If she doesn't answer, leave a message and shoot her a quick email and she will 100% get back to you. She'll be very honest as well in terms of whether or not you should wait until the next cohort. Hope this helps :) Goodluck!

I keep seeing physician panel, what does this mean exactly?

I keep seeing physician panel, what does this mean exactly?

Special set of healthcare tests you need for your student visa. Includes chest x ray, physical, and some labs for hepatitis and HIV, etc. The catch is only certain physicians are qualified by the Australian govt to administer it so you cant just go to anyone, so therefore depending where you live there may not be many of these qualified docs or there will be a waiting period to get an appointment w them.

It's basically to make sure you aren't going to bring anything contagious into the country I guess.

It's been 3 years so details are a little hazy but that basically sums it up I think.

Special set of healthcare tests you need for your student visa. Includes chest x ray, physical, and some labs for hepatitis and HIV, etc. The catch is only certain physicians are qualified by the Australian govt to administer it so you cant just go to anyone, so therefore depending where you live there may not be many of these qualified docs or there will be a waiting period to get an appointment w them.

It's basically to make sure you aren't going to bring anything contagious into the country I guess.

It's been 3 years so details are a little hazy but that basically sums it up I think.

Spot on.

Here's the link to look for panel physicians: United States of America

As you can see, you may have to travel a bit for your panel physician visit, depending on where you live.

So I think I'm going to change from a skype interview to an in-person interview. The hospital was being super unaccommodating at first, but they are now giving me time off to fly down! What are people's experiences with skype vs on-site? Also, who else is gonna be down for the 11/29 on site? I'm thinking of flying down a day and half early to explore and acclimate, would be cool to catch up with people before the big day :)