UQ-Ochsner 2019 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Spot on.

Here's the link to look for panel physicians: United States of America

As you can see, you may have to travel a bit for your panel physician visit, depending on where you live.
If you live near the Canadian border, there are places there that might be closer. I went to Montreal for mine when I was working in Burlington in 2014.

Members don't see this ad.

So I think I'm going to change from a skype interview to an in-person interview. The hospital was being super unaccommodating at first, but they are now giving me time off to fly down! What are people's experiences with skype vs on-site? Also, who else is gonna be down for the 11/29 on site? I'm thinking of flying down a day and half early to explore and acclimate, would be cool to catch up with people before the big day :)
I thought about changing from Skype to in person initially but when I found out I would have to wait that extra day I stuck with my Skype interview. I think it went fine (I got in so I guess they agreed lol). I don't think there is much of a difference in the interview itself, but from what I hear, you do get to experience the NOLA campus if you go in person. I actually ended up taking a trip to NOLA the same weekend as my interview and I completed the interview via Skype while there (I know it sounds crazy but I really didn't want to wait that extra day lol). I would definitely say NOLA was worth the visit. I'm so glad I went.

Reactions: 1 user
So I think I'm going to change from a skype interview to an in-person interview. The hospital was being super unaccommodating at first, but they are now giving me time off to fly down! What are people's experiences with skype vs on-site? Also, who else is gonna be down for the 11/29 on site? I'm thinking of flying down a day and half early to explore and acclimate, would be cool to catch up with people before the big day :)

It's whatever you feel comfortable with. They aren't going to penalize you for doing Skype instead of in person. They know a lot of people have jobs or live far away and cant make it down plus the cost associated w going in person. Anecdotally I feel there are more people I know who did Skype interviews instead of the in person for that reason.

I did in person for personal preference- and I had the funds for a hotel stay, flights down to nola, etc. Made a long weekend out of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm a late applicant myself, and had similar worries as you. I applied mid October (I think a day before the last two Oct interview dates), and was told by Alex that I still had as decent of a chance as anyone, aside from the obvious numbers and class space concerns. I don't know how things have changed since that date, because more people have since been accepted and accepter their offers. That being said, it's worth a shot. She told me the class would be 80-90% full by the last batch of interviews, with that batch filling up the class (and then some, so people would be auto rolled over to the next cohort... and yes it is a guaranteed auto roll over and acceptance if you are accepted the previous year). In terms of the visa, because that was also a concern of mine, she said what students have done in the past is apply for the visitor visa. This visa is easy to get, and allows you access to Australia for up to six months with the ability to take classes. They do this, knowing the student visa process can take a minute. So, you would have access to the country and apply for the student visa from Australia. Obviously, it's not ideal because who wants to be worrying about these things while also adjusting to med school BUT it is doable and has been done by students in the past; then, everything in terms of first aid cert requirements, or physician panel etc. can be done from Oz. I had a nearly 2 hour convo with Alex a week or so after I applied, and she was super forthcoming with answers to all of my concerns being a late applicant. She also answered many questions I didn't even know I had which was great! I would highly suggest applying and giving her a call. If she doesn't answer, leave a message and shoot her a quick email and she will 100% get back to you. She'll be very honest as well in terms of whether or not you should wait until the next cohort. Hope this helps :) Goodluck!
Would you be willing to give interview advice? I don’t know exactly what to expect, I got the invite today. Dm?

Would you be willing to give interview advice? I don’t know exactly what to expect, I got the invite today. Dm?
They tell you precisely what to expect. Read their website. You also should have a phone call with Whitney beforehand to prepare you for the events of the day

They tell you precisely what to expect. Read their website. You also should have a phone call with Whitney beforehand to prepare you for the events of the day
Sweet, so no surprises. I read the website thoroughly. I’m just double checking!
Thank you.

I don't have first-hand experience with Ochsner interviews but came to Australia for three interviews when that was exremely rare to do. As mcat_taker said, you shouldn't be penalized either way for going down to N.O. vs. Skype, at least from their perspective (you could on the other hand be someone who performs much better in-person of course). Going down in person will however give you a better idea of what the school is like -- you'll be able to seek out current students and get frank answers, see the health facilities, check out N.O., etc., and that will help you feel better about your decision, assuming you have one (I rejected one sandstone school in Australia after visiting -- the interviewers were wanks, and I sought out and had a frank discussion with the head of the uni's anatomy dept who said the school was run by wanks...; decided not to go to another despite really liking the school and interview process because I really didn't like the city it was in; and ended up picking UQ).

Hey everyone! New member here! I am applying for the 2020 cycle, I take my MCAT in March and my GPA is solid (3.6). If I apply as soon as I get my score in April when do you think I would get my interview/acceptance? I'm kinda hoping to get accepted before I graduate mid-May but I don't care as long as I get to go to UQ.

Also, do you think the MCAT score requirement will increase again?

Also, do you think the MCAT score requirement will increase again?

The MCAT average has gradually gone up over the years from 498 to 504, so I would expect next year to be no lower than 505 or even 506.

Still, with your GPA and an MCAT above the cut off, you'd be competitive for many MD and most (if not all) DO schools. Any reason why you're set on going UQ-Ochsner? Lastly, don't forget to read the MCAT forums and feel free to PM me if you'd like advice on prepping for the test.

The MCAT average has gradually gone up over the years from 498 to 504, so I would expect next year to be no lower than 505 or even 506.

Still, with your GPA and an MCAT above the cut off, you'd be competitive for many MD and most (if not all) DO schools. Any reason why you're set on going UQ-Ochsner? Lastly, don't forget to read the MCAT forums and feel free to PM me if you'd like advice on prepping for the test.

I have taken the MCAT before and it wasn't great lol. I'm setting aside 3 months to JUST prepare for this one but I'll have to work harder if the score requirement is going to increase again. I might apply to MD schools next cycle but I genuinely fell in love with UQ when they visited my school and would prefer to do med school there.

Hi guys. I have been looking for info on housing near uq and I was wondering if there are any recommendations on housing areas within a walkable distance to the uq led school.

Thoughts?

Hard to say exactly. When I applied interview was granted right away as soon as they verified I met cutoffs and then it was a matter of scheduling it which was a few weeks after, then a month or so after that for acceptance. It depends where in the cycle you are.

I think they generally work pretty fast.

@fingiez MCAT average has gone up over the years from 498-504 but not every single year. It also depends on yield. MCAT was low when the program was newer as they needed to attract more students, now the MCAT is higher because they have more applications. At a certain point MCAT cutoff will stabilize when their applications stabilize or when applicants become competitive for U.S. MD and stop choosing UQ as they have other options.

Members don't see this ad :)
@mcat_taker good points. Still, based on 2018 entering class the incoming MCAT was 507, so I think the cutoff score has yet to stabilize. This program is also very straightforward to apply. Considering UQO's application cycle opens up (quite conveniently) near the end of US schools' app cycle, I think this program attracts applicants with numbers high enough to match many US matriculant stats.

Sent from my SM-P580 using SDN mobile

Particularly given all the exposes demonstrating the somewhat arbitrary nature of US medical school admissions, I see no reason why UQO stats cannot continue to improve until they are essentially on par with them.

You are welcome to DM me! But yeah as others have stated, the website is pretty straight forward, Whitney is super helpful, and it's really all about confidence and authenticity. We've all worked so hard and this is our space to exemplify what we have done! The best thing I can tell you is come up with a variety of examples that can fit within each domain so that you have about two or three/ domain. Don't go on tangents. Even if you have an awesome story, if it doesn't have anything to do with the question, don't tell it. That was probably the biggest piece of advice that Whitney gave me :)

Hi. I was wondering what first aid classes you guys took for Queensland. I was using US Red Cross and they told me I have to take a combo of 3 class. What are your experiences with this?

Hi. I was wondering what first aid classes you guys took for Queensland. I was using US Red Cross and they told me I have to take a combo of 3 class. What are your experiences with this?
Combo like child+adult+AED? If it's that class then it will take a couple of hours, but there should have a lunch break.

Come to think of it, I remember someone in the class who said she was going to Australia for med school. Maybe she went to UQ.

Applied early nov, interviewed nov. 29, passed dec. 1! odds of acceptance?

Applied early nov, interviewed nov. 29, passed dec. 1! odds of acceptance?
I received an offer on Oct 30th and I just accepted my offer this past Monday so you probably still have a chance

I received an offer on Oct 30th and I just accepted my offer this past Monday so you probably still have a chance
I talked to Toby about the whole thing, she says 99.9% of the time if you pass the interview you get an offer.

Accepted, whoop whoop!

I plan on accepting my offer 100% hope to see you all there, just gotta get all the paperwork in!

Question for those ready to go, what’re y’all doing for housing?
I want to do off campus housing but don’t want to spend an arm and a leg. I also don’t want roommate.

Accepted, whoop whoop!

I plan on accepting my offer 100% hope to see you all there, just gotta get all the paperwork in!

I want to do off campus housing but don’t want to spend an arm and a leg. I also don’t want roommate.

Once you get all logged into my.UQ there is actually an accommodation section. They provide both on and off campus options. They even have "approved providers" for rentals for single students. :)

Accepted, whoop whoop!

Check old threads but basically 98% of people live off campus. The on campus housing are the "colleges" which a few people will live in (International House), but there are cheaper options. Most of the stuff first year is in St. Lucia, but there isn't a whole lot going on there in terms of shops/nightlife/things to do. There's a supermarket, a Thai place, a bottle shop and a few other shops but most people live elsewhere. Second year you will have to spend a bit more time in the hospital (RBWH, PAH, or Mater) and they're all on the 66 bus route.

For that reason, a lot of people live somewhere along or adjacent to the 66 route, e.g. West End, South Brisbane, CBD, Woolloongabba, Highgate Hill, etc. Some people will live in Toowong, Auchenflower, Indooroopilly, etc. If you want to live on your own, depending on your financial situation, you may have to live a bit further out for cheaper rent. I think the rental market is favorable for renters right now because they've been building like crazy that there are a lot of vacant units. For a 1BR in a central location though, I'd expect to probably pay upward of $400 (probably like $425-450 AUD) per week.

Check old threads but basically 98% of people live off campus. The on campus housing are the "colleges" which a few people will live in (International House), but there are cheaper options. Most of the stuff first year is in St. Lucia, but there isn't a whole lot going on there in terms of shops/nightlife/things to do. There's a supermarket, a Thai place, a bottle shop and a few other shops but most people live elsewhere. Second year you will have to spend a bit more time in the hospital (RBWH, PAH, or Mater) and they're all on the 66 bus route.

For that reason, a lot of people live somewhere along or adjacent to the 66 route, e.g. West End, South Brisbane, CBD, Woolloongabba, Highgate Hill, etc. Some people will live in Toowong, Auchenflower, Indooroopilly, etc. If you want to live on your own, depending on your financial situation, you may have to live a bit further out for cheaper rent. I think the rental market is favorable for renters right now because they've been building like crazy that there are a lot of vacant units. For a 1BR in a central location though, I'd expect to probably pay upward of $400 (probably like $425-450 AUD) per week.

Sweet! This was perfect. Is it normal to not have a roommate Is it too boujee?

Hey everyone! I'm thinking of applying to the 2020 cohort. A couple of questions
1. Can international applicants apply to both the traditional (4 years at UQ) program and the UQ-Ochsner program? If an American student goes with the traditional program, is the likelihood of matching back into the States the same?

2. When do applications open? I've looked at the page now and it seems like they are still taking applications for this upcoming class (which seems kind of late)? Does that mean the new cycle of applications begins in February?

Anyone who has been accepted, how long after your application was submitted did you get an interview? & how long after your interview did you get your acceptance?

Accepted, whoop whoop!

@Bigbash most students just go on realestate websites like realestate.com.au and find available rentals anywhere in the city. It is pretty straightforward. Like renting a house or apartment anywhere. Plenty of people live on their own, but lots of people live with other classmates.

When do applications open? I've looked at the page now and it seems like they are still taking applications for this upcoming class (which seems kind of late)? Does that mean the new cycle of applications begins in February?
The new cycle of apps officially began earlier this month for the class starting Feb 2020.

Is there a Facebook page for all the accepted?

Hi guys,

Received an email yesterday that I passed the interview! Has anyone heard of people not being accepted once they've passed this point? I'm probably just psyching myself out but I'm really nervous, since I feel like my stats might be kind of on the cusp -- 3.0 gpa, 507 mcat

Did you get accepted? If so, when?

Best of luck to those starting classes today! Let us know how it goes.

A bit confused-- applying for 2020 but is there no personal statement or essay to submit?

No PS in the app, and they don't consider CV, resume or LORs. Left me scratching my head too.

No PS in the app, and they don't consider CV, resume or LORs. Left me scratching my head too.
For the CV and LORs, is it a matter of if we submit, they'll read or do they not even look at it?

*Resumes and Letters of Recommendation are not accepted and will not be reviewed during the decision-making process.

^Directly from the website my friend.^

The reason they don't care about that stuff is that they can infer your personality from the interview when they see how you think on your feet during MMI. They don't need a white-washed highly edited and reviewed essay. Most people applying to med school are a self selecting group that have all checked off all the same boxes- research, medical mission trips, clinical volunteering, rec letters blah blah blah. They know that going to Australia for 2 years will set you apart in residency interviews and make you interesting to prospective residencies. Everyone in my class is interesting and has done cool things. They don't need to see a resume or personal statement to select for that.

UQ-O cares about one thing. Your ability to do well in medical school coursework and pass the boards. If you can do this you are likely to get a residency somewhere. They care primarily about your MCAT for that reason. This is why the MCAT minimum went up consecutively over the last 4 years (It was 499 when I applied and now it is a 504). They want to see strong test takers that will not struggle on USMLE exams. This is why they are phasing in some pre-req science courses for future classes. Nothing that you write in your CV or personal statement reflects your ability to excel in medical school and the boards. Your MCAT does.

UQ-O has historically had problems with students taking the board exams on time and even with students being off cycle because of failing classes or not taking boards on time etc. This has been a big headache for them. They want students who will succeed. Medical school is hard. An MCAT score is standardized and is more likely to reflect future success. They now have entering classes that have stronger MCAT scores and this has probably correlated to better USMLE scores and on time performance in their data. They already have interesting students. What they want is the strongest caliber student they can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The MedEdPath website is updated with the entering class of 2019 stats.
3.39 GPA 508 MCAT... How delusional of me to think I'd have a better chance getting into UQ-O than into a D.O. school lmao...
At this point I'll probably have to resort to SMP with linkage to D.O. schools :(

The MedEdPath website is updated with the entering class of 2019 stats.
3.39 GPA 508 MCAT... How delusional of me to think I'd have a better chance getting into UQ-O than into a D.O. school lmao...
At this point I'll probably have to resort to SMP with linkage to D.O. schools :(

It's a free application without any essays or rec letters needed. Might as well try. They will give you an interview provided you meet their minimums. Don't look at average stats- misleading because some people attend with very high stats. Just go with whatever the interview cut off is.

Can someone help clarify what they mean by uploading:

"Course syllabus/outline(s) from source institution for credit requests" and "Award certificate(s)?" Also, if you were born in the U.S. and attended university in the States, do you still need evidence for English proficiency? I emailed them but they never responded.

Can someone help clarify what they mean by uploading:

"Course syllabus/outline(s) from source institution for credit requests" and "Award certificate(s)?" Also, if you were born in the U.S. and attended university in the States, do you still need evidence for English proficiency? I emailed them but they never responded.

Edit: From the applications instruction, pg 2

"If English is not your first language but you have earned your Bachelor’s degree in the U.S., it is not necessary to demonstrate your English proficiency through separate testing. Tick ‘Yes’. Your Verbal MCAT score will suffice to demonstrate your proficiency."

and

"All students check ‘No’ after ‘Do you wish to claim credit or exemptions on the basis of your previous tertiary study?’ as the medical school does not accept transfer credits."

For those who interviewed for the 2019 cycle: How long from when you received a notification that your application was complete did you receive an interview notification? Also, has anyone been rejected despite meeting the requirements for interview consideration?

Hi . I’m part of the 2020 pool but I thought I’d ask you guys. Just got waitlisted and was wondering if any of you’ve been waitlisted then got in or if Anybody knows the general timeline for waitlist and such.