UQ-Ochsner 2020 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mededpath is the U.S. based application team used by UQ. They are the people that you send your application to, that make sure your paperwork is in order and are your first point of contact for questions or concerns as a prospective student. You talk to them if you are an applicant or prospective applicant thinking of applying.

Ochsner admin are the frontline staff who work in support of current students at Ochsner on rotations. Ochsner people also manage the interviews of applicants, interview day, etc.

UQ makes final decisions to accept people based on feedback from the Ochsner faculty who score you on interview I think. When I applied several years ago my application was forwarded to UQ to be decided on after passing the interview at Ochsner (not sure if it was just a stamp of approval or anything else, but the program has clearly gotten more competitive since then) but I'm not sure if that process has changed and if the acceptance is now directly decided by Ochsner. Honestly it doesn't really matter who decides because that is out of your hands. You apply and do your best on interview day and thats it. UQ admin are the people you deal with in your first 2 years in Brisbane. When you get to Ochsner you pretty much exclusively deal with Ochsner admin people.

Yes you can get US Govt Loans

What do you mean overall placement rate? They give you that information and its based on people who applied for the match. The people who didn't match likely end up doing a research year, reapplying next year, or getting a prelim spot somewhere after the match, or going back to Australia.

Hope this helps.

MedEdPath is the equivalent of AMCAS/AACOMAS then - gotcha.

This is just a very unique program and not at all something I’m familiar with.

By overall placement - I mean people who Match + Soap + Scramble into a residency. It’s possible to have a higher placement rate than NRMP Match rate.

If things don’t work at for those folks stateside, is it possible for them to do residency in Australia?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here got accepted after feeling bad after the MMI ? I had my MMI for uq traditional MD today and I feel so bad after the MMI haha

Reactions: 1 users
MedEdPath is the equivalent of AMCAS/AACOMAS then - gotcha.

This is just a very unique program and not at all something I’m familiar with.

By overall placement - I mean people who Match + Soap + Scramble into a residency. It’s possible to have a higher placement rate than NRMP Match rate.

If things don’t work at for those folks stateside, is it possible for them to do residency in Australia?

1) No idea. Most people who are eligible for the match do fine. Thats all you should worry about.

2) Depends when they decide. Match day is in March and Australian interns start working in January. You would be unlikely to get a spot in Australia that late in the Australian calendar year if you don't match in March. There are some students who just give up on matching here if they are too behind on their step exams by their third year and they start the application process to Australia earlier and likely get a spot somewhere. They can also set up extra rotations in Australia to do more networking there in their fourth year if they decide earlier that they won't match here in the US or don't want to. None of that is guaranteed.

For other ochsner students who are competitive for the match here, they decide at some point they just prefer living in Australia and move there to train and live permanently as doctors. They will likely have some hoops to jump through in terms of getting permanent residency/citizen status at some point in their training (many speciality training pathways in Australia demand either citizenship or permanent residency status before taking you on and the Australian training takes much longer to compete (they don't go right into a specific residency like we do here) That is beyond the scope of this ochsner thread and an entirely other rabbit hole.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here got accepted after feeling bad after the MMI ? I had my MMI for uq traditional MD today and I feel so bad after the MMI haha

That MMI went absolutely terrible for me... yikesss, didn't help that I only had like 30 seconds to read the first scenario due to technical issues

1) No idea. Most people who are eligible for the match do fine. Thats all you should worry about.

2) Depends when they decide. Match day is in March and Australian interns start working in January. You would be unlikely to get a spot in Australia that late in the Australian calendar year if you don't match in March. There are some students who just give up on matching here if they are too behind on their step exams by their third year and they start the application process to Australia earlier and likely get a spot somewhere. They can also set up extra rotations in Australia to do more networking there in their fourth year if they decide earlier that they won't match here in the US or don't want to. None of that is guaranteed.

For other ochsner students who are competitive for the match here, they decide at some point they just prefer living in Australia and move there to train and live permanently as doctors. They will likely have some hoops to jump through in terms of getting permanent residency/citizen status at some point in their training (many speciality training pathways in Australia demand either citizenship or permanent residency status before taking you on and the Australian training takes much longer to compete (they don't go right into a specific residency like we do here) That is beyond the scope of this ochsner thread and an entirely other rabbit hole.

Thank you these informative responses. You clearly put a lot of thought into that answer I appreciate that - I wouldn’t even know where else’s to go to find the info you’ve provided. I checked out the 2019 Cohort thread and noticed some of your posts there - kudos to you for promoting information about your school.

However, as an American looking at international schools, I have to question everything about it (i.e., figure out the worst-case scenarios).

“Most people who are eligible for the match do fine”
This is great and the >90% match rate is something distinctive about UQ (and why I’m looking at it). Like with other Int’l schools, I would like to know what lies behind “most people.” Do you know the attrition rate for your program? Because SGU’s match rate isn’t “terrible,” but half the class gets kicked out beforehand. I’m not comparing your school to SGU - I’m just highlighting how the truth under these stats isn’t always pretty.

“That’s all you should worry about”
I will respectfully disagree with this word choice. I don’t know what your intent or tone was, but this came across to me as a dismissive. In choosing an Int’l school, anybody who is considering applying should have all of the facts straight. Placement and Match Rate are different and relevant For example, most DO schools have an ~82% NRMP Match rate - but their overall residency placement rate (DO-only slots, SOAP, Scramble + Military) is nearly 100%.

One more question. I’m an American, but don’t have a passport (and it would probably take me time to get one). Is it possible to get an interview for 2020 before having that - or would my best bet be the 2021 cohort? If it’s relevant, my numbers are around:
uGPA 3.1-3.4
SMP 3.7-4.0
MCAT 510-513

Thank you these informative responses. You clearly put a lot of thought into that answer I appreciate that - I wouldn’t even know where else’s to go to find the info you’ve provided. I checked out the 2019 Cohort thread and noticed some of your posts there - kudos to you for promoting information about your school.

However, as an American looking at international schools, I have to question everything about it (i.e., figure out the worst-case scenarios).

“Most people who are eligible for the match do fine”
This is great and the >90% match rate is something distinctive about UQ (and why I’m looking at it). Like with other Int’l schools, I would like to know what lies behind “most people.” Do you know the attrition rate for your program? Because SGU’s match rate isn’t “terrible,” but half the class gets kicked out beforehand. I’m not comparing your school to SGU - I’m just highlighting how the truth under these stats isn’t always pretty.

“That’s all you should worry about”
I will respectfully disagree with this word choice. I don’t know what your intent or tone was, but this came across to me as a dismissive. In choosing an Int’l school, anybody who is considering applying should have all of the facts straight. Placement and Match Rate are different and relevant For example, most DO schools have an ~82% NRMP Match rate - but their overall residency placement rate (DO-only slots, SOAP, Scramble + Military) is nearly 100%.

One more question. I’m an American, but don’t have a passport (and it would probably take me time to get one). Is it possible to get an interview for 2020 before having that - or would my best bet be the 2021 cohort? If it’s relevant, my numbers are around:
uGPA 3.1-3.4
SMP 3.7-4.0
MCAT 510-513

Not sure about overall attrition rate. But when we had final exams and were provided a score analysis of the class/results from UQ about 5 percent of all students got below a passing grade (this is all students- ochsner, domestic, international so maybe 25 out of 500 roughly each semester). Most of these students would be eligible for supplemental assessment (basically another exam and a chance to pass and move on). My understanding is that roughly 50 percent of those taking supplemental assessment passed and moved on. If you didn't you would resit the same course the following year and be a year behind. Based on that info-- attrition rate is minimal. I know only a few people that needed to repeat a semester in the 1st 2 years out of my entire Ochsner cohort. I know of no one that was not eligible to progress at all for failing too many times. That doesn't mean they don't exist it just means failing isn't common.

Didn't mean to be dismissive-- have no idea about the deeper numbers besides what is published. I meant that if you are applying smart and have your steps all done you will likely do fine, this is what we've always been told by admin and what we've heard from upper years. So thats why I said don't worry about it. The people who don't match either applied for something too competitive for their application (and didn't have a back up) or were not eligible to match because they didn't have all their steps done. But I'm not sure how the people who didn't even apply for the match are counted in the data. The data for U.S. schools is not a 100 percent match rate either. Perhaps mededpath can help you further with your questions.

Ask Mededpath about the passport thing. No idea. I would imagine you could interview but in order to enroll you would need to show proof that you can travel. But I have no idea. Perhaps get started on that now.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be aggressive with my questioning or make you question your own choices (or that of the others on this thread). The source for info just hasn't been too straightforward to find. UQO is pretty niche, it looks like.

Based on that info-- attrition rate is minimal

Agreed. Sounds like everybody who's capable and trying is getting by OK.

I meant that if you are applying smart and have your steps all done you will likely do fine

Yeah as a premed I never really thought of this. I'm sure that some of the people who did not match had a 210 Step 1 and shot straight for orthoderm.

The data for U.S. schools is not a 100 percent match rate either

Very fair! The comparison is to the USMD average, not the "ideal" USMD.

Perhaps mededpath can help you further with your questions.

They'll be my next stop for info.

This almost this looks too good to be true. 95% chance of USMD match and I'd get to live two years in Australia and could start in 2020! Kinda crazy that the school's so successful with an average GPA of 3.4 and other unorthodox admission procedures. Just, wow.

You seem cool and the data I've seen looks good. Your story makes sense. Good luck @mcat_taker ! I hope the best for you.

Class sizes of previous years was 120. You can do the math pretty easily for number who matched and the match rate. I think 4-5 people didn’t match based on whom I knew that entered and the list at the end. I think my year 95ish walked in our graduation. Some quit, some ended up delayed and couldn’t walk. They also didn’t include the 6 of us that returned to Australia as far as I know in the match numbers. Medical school is hard whereever you do it. If you want to come to Australia over taking a US spot I’d say that’s likely a dumb plan based on the additional hoops as an international you have to go through. There’s no reason to intentionally handicap yourself for the chance to go to school abroad.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be aggressive with my questioning or make you question your own choices (or that of the others on this thread). The source for info just hasn't been too straightforward to find. UQO is pretty niche, it looks like.

Agreed. Sounds like everybody who's capable and trying is getting by OK.

Yeah as a premed I never really thought of this. I'm sure that some of the people who did not match had a 210 Step 1 and shot straight for orthoderm.

Very fair! The comparison is to the USMD average, not the "ideal" USMD.

They'll be my next stop for info.

This almost this looks too good to be true. 95% chance of USMD match and I'd get to live two years in Australia and could start in 2020! Kinda crazy that the school's so successful with an average GPA of 3.4 and other unorthodox admission procedures. Just, wow.

You seem cool and the data I've seen looks good. Your story makes sense. Good luck @mcat_taker ! I hope the best for you.

You would likely need to act quickly for 2020 as the class starts filling up around this month or next month. Your app seems competitive but I'm a couple years out from applications and have no role with interviews at Ochsner so I don't know what they consider competitive anymore. It's a good program and many have chosen it over DO acceptances in the past but I don't think anyone chooses it over a USMD acceptance which opens more doors and makes life much easier. You're still an IMG after all and your app looks competitive for at least trying for USMD schools.

You would likely need to act quickly for 2020 as the class starts filling up around this month or next month. Your app seems competitive but I'm a couple years out from applications and have no role with interviews at Ochsner so I don't know what they consider competitive anymore. It's a good program and many have chosen it over DO acceptances in the past but I don't think anyone chooses it over a USMD acceptance which opens more doors and makes life much easier. You're still an IMG after all and your app looks competitive for at least trying for USMD schools.
There are people in our class (first year) that turned down US MD acceptances

Why is it so stupid? Because there are certain things about being an IMG that make life more difficult? Well what if you really want to come here? There are people here who really wanted the life experience of living in Australia for two years followed by living in New Orleans for two years (where you are undoubtedly getting phenomenal clinical training). I know many people who came here because it was their goal to do residency in New Orleans and if they didn’t get into LSU they thought coming here would give them a great shot to do that (granted I don’t think these people are gunning for ortho). The vast vast majority of people who take it seriously and do the things they have to do to match make it through just fine. You’re in professional school and you have to conduct yourself accordingly and make the right decisions. If you do that you shouldn’t have problems (I know you graduated Sean, not speaking to you specifically here, just making a comment). But as far as saying it’s stupid, well coming here is what a lot of people genuinely wanted to do. Is it stupid to deny yourself of what you want just because there are some added difficulties? If you do what you’re supposed to do, the end result should be just the same

Why is it so stupid? Because there are certain things about being an IMG that make life more difficult? Well what if you really want to come here? There are people here who really wanted the life experience of living in Australia for two years followed by living in New Orleans for two years (where you are undoubtedly getting phenomenal clinical training). I know many people who came here because it was their goal to do residency in New Orleans and if they didn’t get into LSU they thought coming here would give them a great shot to do that (granted I don’t think these people are gunning for ortho). The vast vast majority of people who take it seriously and do the things they have to do to match make it through just fine. You’re in professional school and you have to conduct yourself accordingly and make the right decisions. If you do that you shouldn’t have problems (I know you graduated Sean, not speaking to you specifically here, just making a comment). But as far as saying it’s stupid, well coming here is what a lot of people genuinely wanted to do. Is it stupid to deny yourself of what you want just because there are some added difficulties? If you do what you’re supposed to do, the end result should be just the same

Well said. And thanks for the feedback from a lower level student. It's always good to have multiple perspectives. I know the class has gotten more competitive in each subsequent year (in my year no one I know was sitting on a USMD acceptance-- that being said plenty I know had impressive enough stats for USMD, they just didn't want to keep waiting around/applying for another cycle/dealing with the uncertainty and maybe someone I don't know personally had an acceptance in hand) but that is great that people in your class chose the program over USMD acceptances in hand. Like you said it's their life and their decision to do so if they value the way this program is structured and having that experience. It only makes this program stronger. No doubt I think this program is pretty sweet and would much rather be here then at LSU or Tulane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly yes. Medical school is hard enough without the added difficulties and the stigma of being an IMG. Yes ochsner students have made inroads at a number of programs and many of the matches have been impressive, however, those people would have had equally impressive matches from a USMD program. It’s the people with mediocre or average scores that are trying to get into more competitive programs. You limit opportunities. Additionally if you look at resident cohorts some programs straight up do not even interview IMGs regardless. With that said UQO is great. The teaching is good. I got a ton of experience at ochsner that I know student from Tulane and LSU didn’t get. I had fun and I ended up choosing to stay in Australia and I am quite happy with that decision. Everyone has to decide what they want in the end. It’s your life. And yes if you check the boxes you’ll likely match just as we’ve had in the past. I’m glad the program has become even more competitive I just don’t see the point of making life harder for the sake of it.

it's not letting me PM you, but where is the best place to live for the first year? i prefer living alone initially.

Check old UQ-Ochsner threads. This has been discussed quite a bit. The ideal situation is to live on the 66 bus route, because it goes from campus at St. Lucia where you'll have lectures, some pracs & CBL first year, and the clinical sites (PA, Mater, RBWH) where you'll have clinical coaching and your pathology tutorials. It's kind of an individual situation choosing where to live, as an example if you chose to in St. Lucia close to campus versus living in South Bank or the CBD. Just know you'll obviously have to pay more to live on your own, and I'm not sure what the going rates are for 1 BR apartments in different parts of Brisbane at the moment. People have done it in the past, so it's most likely doable.

Couple kinda random questions for a current student:

1. Are classes mostly in St. Lucia or in the Mayne Medical building?
2. What is a "normal" rent p/w for most students?
3. What phone companies are good?
4. Which Step 1 topics need to be self-taught?

Things always change, but here's my thoughts as a current 4th year:

1. Lectures and some pracs/tutorials/CBL are at St. Lucia. Almost nothing is in Herston at Mayne. Clinical coaching and pathology will be at the clinical sites. You may have to go up to Herston/Mayne as a one-off for one reason or another (like taking a picture with the statue of Hippocrates in front of Mayne for the 'gram).

2. "Normal" varies on suburb and roommate situation. You could have a bunch of roommates and live further out from the CBD and probably pay $120 AUD/pw, or live in the CBD/South Bank and pay $450 pw or more for 1 BR. It really varies.

3. The major carriers are Telstra and Optus. They're pretty equal, there are smaller carriers too, if you want to do pre-paid, or want to do month-to-month.

4. Historically, and this may have changed because I think they're actually putting in more effort towards it now, microbiology, biochemistry, and pharmacology required much more time to self-study, and depends on your background. If you have a PhD in biochemistry, you're probably going to be fine on that front.

1. Lectures and CBL tutorials in St. Lucia in 1st year. At your Clinical hospital sites for 2nd year. Lectures are also all recorded as well.

2. @ilovechocolate1995 relevant for your question as well. There is no normal rent. Some people live with a few other classmates. Some prefer to live on their own. Everyone's budget varies. You pay what you are comfortable with. Typically CBD and Southbank will have the most expensive rents but also good central location for everything. Many international students Ochsner/Canadians prefer Southbank/South Brisbane especially for this reason. Australians typically live a bit further out because most of them have cars. Living close to the 66 route is pretty convenient. If you live near the river the ferry is also a good option to get to St. Lucia at least. Brisbane is a smallish city and lots of living locations can be doable.

3. Doesn't matter. They all will work in Brisbane.

4. Historically biochemistry and microbiology.

I heard that they don't release offers until mid-August! So keep your fingers crossed. I felt bad after my MMI too - it was so long, and on top of that, it was my first one.
(UQ traditional international MD applicant too!)

I heard that they don't release offers until mid-August! So keep your fingers crossed. I felt bad after my MMI too - it was so long, and on top of that, it was my first one.

They have set dates that they release offers since they do it in waves. I am scheduled for an interview August 9th, and my offer (and the people who interview August 9th also) will come out October 9th. So I’m assuming it will be exactly two mo this from your interview as well. What We’re your stats?

They have set dates that they release offers since they do it in waves. I am scheduled for an interview August 9th, and my offer (and the people who interview August 9th also) will come out October 9th. So I’m assuming it will be exactly two mo this from your interview as well. What We’re your stats?

I had my interview on July 11th, and according to my agency, the offers will be out on August 13th queensland time.

Am I the only one who's interview was riddled with tech difficulties? Literally 3 stations they had troubles getting the scenario to screen share.. eating away at the 2 minute timer

Am I the only one who's interview was riddled with tech difficulties? Literally 3 stations they had troubles getting the scenario to screen share.. eating away at the 2 minute timer

Did they say if that would be held against you?

Did they say if that would be held against you?
Nothing was said. Interview started, interview ended (last MMI interviewer ended the Skype call ASAP), shot them an email to touch up on the issue but didn't get a response.

Oh okay! Thanks for that. Interviewed on July 8th, so I’ll keep a look out.
Stats: 3.97 GPA and 515 MCAT.

That's for Oschner right? UQ-traditional doesn't seem to have waves?

If a current student doesn't mind answering, when do students typically schedule Step 1? Also was it difficult to find time to study? I don't know if there is a dedicated period for Step 1 study.

Last edited:
If a current student doesn't mind answering, when do students typically schedule Step 1? Also was it difficult to find time to study? I don't know if there is a dedicated period for Step 1 study.

I think this changed with the 2020 class - maybe someone can chime in, but now there's a "sit to progress" rule, meaning you need to have taken Step 1 by the beginning of third year to start third year rotations. You have to take Step 1 to do volunteering stuff, hold leadership positions, etc.

At the end of second year in Brisbane, you'll be done in early November, and orientation in New Orleans is usually the first or second week in January, so you have from early/mid-November to end of when there are scheduled dates in December at Prometric to take Step 1 "on time."

That's also the time that you'll be packing up your stuff and moving from one continent to another, and getting ready to move to New Orleans.

I think this changed with the 2020 class - maybe someone can chime in, but now there's a "sit to progress" rule, meaning you need to have taken Step 1 by the beginning of third year to start third year rotations. You have to take Step 1 to do volunteering stuff, hold leadership positions, etc.

At the end of second year in Brisbane, you'll be done in early November, and orientation in New Orleans is usually the first or second week in January, so you have from early/mid-November to end of when there are scheduled dates in December at Prometric to take Step 1 "on time."

That's also the time that you'll be packing up your stuff and moving from one continent to another, and getting ready to move to New Orleans.
Thanks for the response! Sounds like a hectic period. Do you know of any students that stay in Australia to take the exam then head back in December? That might be easier than moving back to the US and trying to find a place to stay while studying full time for 6ish weeks. This is really down the road but I was curious.

Thanks for the response! Sounds like a hectic period. Do you know of any students that stay in Australia to take the exam then head back in December? That might be easier than moving back to the US and trying to find a place to stay while studying full time for 6ish weeks. This is really down the road but I was curious.

A few people opt to stay in Australia to take it but it is much more difficult to get a testing spot there because you can only test in Sydney, Perth, and Melbourne and there isn't as much flexibility with dates.

Majority of people end up moving back home and taking it somewhere near home before moving to New Orleans.

A few people opt to stay in Australia to take it but it is much more difficult to get a testing spot there because you can only test in Sydney, Perth, and Melbourne and there isn't as much flexibility with dates.

Majority of people end up moving back home and taking it somewhere near home before moving to New Orleans.
Gotcha, thanks for the insight!

Interviewed July 13, and received an offer on the 31st. UQ-Traditional. It seems as if it might be in waves, based on when you interviewed.

Don't think there are waves. I got offered a place on the 31st as well - interviewed on the 11th. They had a set day. If there are leftover spots, they will go to the waitlist (and maybe another round of interviews if they need to).

Is it too late to apply this cycle? Should I just wait and see what happens with LSU apps and apply for 2021?

Looks like it might be better to wait until the next cohort. Would anybody who was accepted mind sharing their stats?

I was recently accepted into the UQ-Ochsner program and am having trouble deciding between accepting my spot or rolling the dice and hoping I get into USMD. Would any current/past students be willing to share any advice/perspective?
My stats are GPA 3.69, MCAT 512

So I didn't feel to good about my interview. Does anybody know when they tell you how it went. Maybe Im overthinking it. I heard they send a pass fail email to you?

So I didn't feel to good about my interview. Does anybody know when they tell you how it went. Maybe Im overthinking it. I heard they send a pass fail email to you?

No pass/fail emails this year but why don’t you feel confident?

How did everyone prepare for the virtual MMI? I keep reading negative interview experiences and I'm so nervous about mine now. Any tips?

I'm curious if anyone has found or compiled data about historical tuition rate increases. How much does the tuition normally increase each year? I've seen only a few specific numbers that area years old, and it has clearly been increasing at a fairly rapid pace.