UQ-Ochsner 2020 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I... am probably not even going to bother applying if 3.5+ and 508 is a waitlist. I was thinking anything above a 3.2 and 506 was competitive enough. Hope you get in later, buddy.
I think it has to do more with timing once you pass the cut-off requirements

Members don't see this ad.

I... am probably not even going to bother applying if 3.5+ and 508 is a waitlist. I was thinking anything above a 3.2 and 506 was competitive enough. Hope you get in later, buddy.
The application is free and you can choose to do a skype interview, there is no harm in trying! Just prep for the interview and wow them!

Reactions: 1 user
To add to everyone else, I'm pretty sure there were people who got in last year with stats around there. Also, in the past they calculated GPA with more recent semesters weighted more than earlier semesters. So if you did well towards the end of undergrad or graduate school your application's GPA would be better. I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Just found out about the program and I can't believe I didn't hear about it sooner. My heart is set on it. I applied in early June and was invited for an interview for August 9th. My MCAT is 515, and my G.P.A. is a little more complicated. My G.P.A. for the past two years is a 3.9, 3.7 including the past four, and 3.2 for the past six (my first two years out of high school I had a family issue). I heard that they weight your most recent more heavy, is that true? Does anybody know how that works? Also, since I am so late in the cycle what do you guys think my chances are?

Hey guys,

Just found out about the program and I can't believe I didn't hear about it sooner. My heart is set on it. I applied in early June and was invited for an interview for August 9th. My MCAT is 515, and my G.P.A. is a little more complicated. My G.P.A. for the past two years is a 3.9, 3.7 including the past four, and 3.2 for the past six (my first two years out of high school I had a family issue). I heard that they weight your most recent more heavy, is that true? Does anybody know how that works? Also, since I am so late in the cycle what do you guys think my chances are?
Killer MCAT and upward trend opens many doors, congrats.

Classes seem to be filling up earlier each year but it's still June so I would think you could definitely make it.

But if it doesn't work out, I don't see why you couldn't stay in the states given decent EC's in this app cycle. Best of luck.

same :) so excited for y'all! now you can breathe easy and enjoy the rest of your year. Also, anyone concerned about applying late, I applied in Sept/Oct 2018 for the 2019 start, was interviewed in Nov and accepted in Dec. It was all super stressful and very rushed so I would def recommend applying sooner than later, just don't be discouraged thinking it's too late.

@wannabedrneez
Do you mind sharing your stats? I was invited for interview on Aug. 9th and I am curious.

Killer MCAT and upward trend opens many doors, congrats.

Classes seem to be filling up earlier each year but it's still June so I would think you could definitely make it.

But if it doesn't work out, I don't see why you couldn't stay in the states given decent EC's in this app cycle. Best of luck.

Thanks! Yeah I've been volunteering at hospice for three years, but I really have my heart set on UQ. I just hope they'll actually look at the upward trend and not just write me off.

Thanks! Yeah I've been volunteering at hospice for three years, but I really have my heart set on UQ. I just hope they'll actually look at the upward trend and not just write me off.
I'd lightly prep for the interview, relax and then worry about packing enough sun screen if I were you. You're a shoo-in.

I applied a few months ago but set my interview date for August 9th due to scheduling reasons for work. Can anyone give me any information about the online version of the MMI if they have done it that way? Are we all scheduled at the same time on August 9 or can I choose my time slot for the day?

I applied a few months ago but set my interview date for August 9th due to scheduling reasons for work. Can anyone give me any information about the online version of the MMI if they have done it that way? Are we all scheduled at the same time on August 9 or can I choose my time slot for the day?

Have you been confirmed yet? I was told I was schedules but they needed to put a group together before I am confirmed.

Hi, can anyone tell me how long it took between submission of MCAT scores and receipt of an interview invitation? I've completed my application and they've received my transcripts, so I'm just waiting on my MCAT scores. I'm getting nervous that I applied too late and the class will fill up before I get an interview.

Hi, can anyone tell me how long it took between submission of MCAT scores and receipt of an interview invitation? I've completed my application and they've received my transcripts, so I'm just waiting on my MCAT scores. I'm getting nervous that I applied too late and the class will fill up before I get an interview.

I applied 4/17 and got my interview invitation 4/24

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm hoping there are still some spots left when they get to me.

I was invited for an interview and they could not confirm the date just yet because they need to put a group together for it first. Other people on this thread have said they have applied in october and started in Feb

The MMI is similar to other schools but you stay on your computer and the interviewers move between computers for each round.

Unfortunately you can't choose your time- they'll tell you what time slot you have during the tech check. I had requested an interview later in the day since I'm currently living in Brisbane doing my MPH. They said they couldn't change the time of the interview so I had to wake up and do the interview at 4am...

• Wow
Anyone else obsessively refreshing their email for admissions decisions :shrug:?

Edit:
Accepted!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!

If anyone at currently at UQ Ochsner happens to read this I'm currently living in Brisbane and would love to grab a coffee and get your thoughts on the program.

If anyone else has general questions about UQ, Brisbane, or Australia I'm happy to answer them. I'm currently doing my MPH at UQ and have been living here for about a year.

Reactions: 6 users
When is this Facebook page starting bc I’m ready to meet y’all :))

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!! Is everyone waiting to send in their form and whatnot until we hear about “what to do next”? Haha

Yeah I guess we are not supposed to fill out and send the acceptance form and deposit included in the offer letter. We are supposed to wait for an additional email?

I felt a little uneasy yesterday after not receiving any news while everyone else did...and then today I got a rejection email. I'm sort of stunned, since it seemed like the general consensus was that you were in pretty good shape if you met the cut-offs. I dont think I've even seen anyone make a post in these UQ-Oschner threads stating they were rejected (with the exception of the class being full in late fall). I know during the interview day it was mentioned that they were trying to make admission more difficult, but I figured worst-case scenario I would atleast get waitlisted (that seems to be new this year too). I mean, I even studied abroad at UQ so I figured that would work in my favor. My undergrad GPA is 2.9, but along with a DIY post-bacc and some retakes I had an upward trend at the end. I did an SMP and got two Cs in medical school classes so that didn't help my graduate GPA. My MCAT is 509. I can't believe my interview performance was the reason I got rejected either. It's sort of depressing to think that my only route now is the Caribbean.

I felt a little uneasy yesterday after not receiving any news while everyone else did...and then today I got a rejection email. I'm sort of stunned, since it seemed like the general consensus was that you were in pretty good shape if you met the cut-offs. I dont think I've even seen anyone make a post in these UQ-Oschner threads stating they were rejected (with the exception of the class being full in late fall). I know during the interview day it was mentioned that they were trying to make admission more difficult, but I figured worst-case scenario I would atleast get waitlisted (that seems to be new this year too). I mean, I even studied abroad at UQ so I figured that would work in my favor. My undergrad GPA is 2.9, but along with a DIY post-bacc and some retakes I had an upward trend at the end. I did an SMP and got two Cs in medical school classes so that didn't help my graduate GPA. My MCAT is 509. I can't believe my interview performance was the reason I got rejected either. It's sort of depressing to think that my only route now is the Caribbean.

I’m sorry to hear this :( Is this your first time applying? The last time I applied to this program, the MCAT requirement changed mid-cycle and I was no longer a candidate at the time. All I can encourage you to do is not give up! The Caribbean is never your only option.

Keep your head up. See if they will give you any information on weaknesses in your app. Talk to mededpath. Otherwise perhaps a full masters degree that you can use as your GPA for admissions rather than a DIY postbac. If I remember correctly they used the GPA of whatever your last degree was to calculate your actual GPA for admissions (maybe they don't do that anymore) again talk to mededpath people. Congrats on a great MCAT score- that clearly wasn't the problem here. No doubt the program is more competitive now than in years past due to increasing interest. Try and reapply next year with more good grades to show them. Applying early always helps.

If you don't think you will be competitive next year try applying for the 4 year UQ degree (non ochsner) maybe even this year if there are still spots. It is a different admissions committee that reviews those applications (nothing to do with Ochsner) and there are plenty of internationals in that cohort (mostly Canadians but some Americans). You can still study for the steps with the ochsner kids, go to the usmle review sessions. You can do multiple away rotations at ochsner, and still try and match in the U.S. Finally other Australian med schools are also an option. I think a 509 will open doors to those other schools. Good luck.

If you get your GPA above 3.0 try for DO schools too. They are usually more forgiving with grades and do grade replacement for GPA calc etc.

Reactions: 3 users
See if they will give you any information on weaknesses in your app. Talk to mededpath. Otherwise perhaps a full masters degree that you can use as your GPA for admissions rather than a DIY postbac. If I remember correctly they used the GPA of whatever your last degree was to calculate your actual GPA for admissions (maybe they don't do that anymore) again talk to mededpath people. Congrats on a great MCAT score- that clearly wasn't the problem here. No doubt the program is more competitive now than in years past due to increasing interest. Try and reapply next year with more good grades to show them. Applying early always helps.
Well actually, in that email I received they said I was welcome to respond if I had any further questions and so I did ask if my grades were the problem, but thus far I haven't gotten any response. They even said I have the option to appeal the decision but obviously I don't think that would be productive.

Keep your head up. See if they will give you any information on weaknesses in your app. Talk to mededpath. Otherwise perhaps a full masters degree that you can use as your GPA for admissions rather than a DIY postbac. If I remember correctly they used the GPA of whatever your last degree was to calculate your actual GPA for admissions (maybe they don't do that anymore) again talk to mededpath people. Congrats on a great MCAT score- that clearly wasn't the problem here. No doubt the program is more competitive now than in years past due to increasing interest. Try and reapply next year with more good grades to show them. Applying early always helps.

If you don't think you will be competitive next year try applying for the 4 year UQ degree (non ochsner) maybe even this year if there are still spots. It is a different admissions committee that reviews those applications (nothing to do with Ochsner) and there are plenty of internationals in that cohort (mostly Canadians but some Americans). You can still study for the steps with the ochsner kids, go to the usmle review sessions. You can do multiple away rotations at ochsner, and still try and match in the U.S. Finally other Australian med schools are also an option. I think a 509 will open doors to those other schools. Good luck.

If you get your GPA above 3.0 try for DO schools too. They are usually more forgiving with grades and do grade replacement for GPA calc etc.

Do DO schools still do grade replacement? Is it like certain schools who do it apart from the way AACOMAS calculates it?

I just got an acceptance email.

I applied with a undergrad GPA 3.5, postbac GPA 2.9 and 506 MCAT.

I am seriously considering UQ-Ochsner but am also considering reapplying. I would love to talk to someone who is thinking about going/definitely going/current student. Would be great to met up in NYC, please PM me!

Reactions: 1 users

I am seriously considering UQ-Ochsner but am also considering reapplying. I would love to talk to someone who is thinking about going/definitely going/current student. Would be great to met up in NYC, please PM me!

I applied last year and I’m one semester in, what questions you got?

Do DO schools still do grade replacement? Is it like certain schools who do it apart from the way AACOMAS calculates it?

I am in process of waiting for interview, and I am really into the program. I will probably get into a U.S school but I really like the UQ program, and was planning on taking it over US offer assuming I am accepted there. Just out of curiosity, what's your reasoning behind wanting to take extra time off and reapply over taking offer?

I applied last year and I’m one semester in, what questions you got?

I'm wondering if its better to go to UQ-Ochsner or a DO in the US in terms of residency? Also I read concerning reviews of this program being somewhat disorganized. I'm not sure if this is the right place to raise these questions but that's what on my mind.

Another question is - how often do students typically go back to the US while they are there?

Thanks

Hey not sure if anyone had to do this, but do folks know how to convert the US GPA out of 4 to an Australian GPA out of 7

Well actually, in that email I received they said I was welcome to respond if I had any further questions and so I did ask if my grades were the problem, but thus far I haven't gotten any response. They even said I have the option to appeal the decision but obviously I don't think that would be productive.
So I did finally get a response today, and while it's not surprising that I didn't get any specific feedback about why I was rejected, I was informed of the following:

"Applicants are ranked based on the following formula: MMI 50%, GPA 25%, MCAT 25%."

So I did finally get a response today, and while it's not surprising that I didn't get any specific feedback about why I was rejected, I was informed of the following:

"Applicants are ranked based on the following formula: MMI 50%, GPA 25%, MCAT 25%."

Whoa, it's my first time hearing this... I think the for the past cycles, anything over a 3.0 was good enough for GPA and they considered MCAT as the most important factor for admissions. GPA was mostly there for screening purposes. It's surprising that GPA and MCAT are equally as important now. What's more surprising is that the interview is worth 50%... Wow, totally changes the picture.

Thanks for letting us know, by the way. Sorry to hear about the rejection as well :(

Whoa, it's my first time hearing this... I think the for the past cycles, anything over a 3.0 was good enough for GPA and they considered MCAT as the most important factor for admissions. GPA was mostly there for screening purposes. It's surprising that GPA and MCAT are equally as important now. What's more surprising is that the interview is worth 50%... Wow, totally changes the picture.

Thanks for letting us know, by the way. Sorry to hear about the rejection as well :(
In past threads people made it seem like the interview was more of a formality but now it's REALLY important. That's a pretty big development.

In past threads people made it seem like the interview was more of a formality but now it's REALLY important. That's a pretty big development.

Exactly... I think the cohort three years ago didn't even have an interview. And then they started doing interviews two years ago but it wasn't MMI. I guess with so many qualified applicants who are literally rejecting multiple DO offers to come to UQ-O, they have the luxury to be more selective.

I'm wondering if its better to go to UQ-Ochsner or a DO in the US in terms of residency? Also I read concerning reviews of this program being somewhat disorganized. I'm not sure if this is the right place to raise these questions but that's what on my mind.

Another question is - how often do students typically go back to the US while they are there?

Thanks

So with matches to residencies I would say UQ is better then low end US MD programs and a good amount of DO programs. The program has had some really good matches and a consistent successful match history. You can look at all the matches from previous years on the website I think. However don’t expect this to fall in your lap, this place is a lot of hard work and a lot of loops to jump through.

However, with regards to organization, those claims have their merits. The class is over 100 Americans mixed with like 400 Australians. Both have a different educational health system and this does create some anarchy at the start. There can be little guidance at times and the program does definitely require a lot of autonomy on your behalf. However I would say that after the first semester everything becomes a lot more streamlined once you get a sense of what is going on and what academic resources work for you.

It really depends how often people go back, I personally have not been back to the states yet. Over breaks, some people deicide to stay here and study, some take vacations in asia, and some go back the states.

Exactly... I think the cohort three years ago didn't even have an interview. And then they started doing interviews two years ago but it wasn't MMI. I guess with so many qualified applicants who are literally rejecting multiple DO offers to come to UQ-O, they have the luxury to be more selective.

Yes, I think this is a pretty recent development. GPA is not recalculated or weighted in any way with the traditional pathway. I believe all past attempts and repeats count normally towards the GPA, but I am unsure if MedEdPath goes through the trouble of recalculating transcripts which may have forgiven repeated grades. If someone has any insight on how they view GPA that would be great. As of now, it still seems that interviews will be granted as long as you meet the B average and the minimum MCAT requirements. That being said, after your interview, it looks like you will be ranked based on the traditional way that UQueensland ranks offers for local applicants:

"Interviewed applicants will be ranked in a merit order (and offers made) according to the following methodology: - 50% Interview score - 25% Unweighted average GAMSAT Score - 25% Grade Point Average (GPA) from designated key degree. Quotas are filled in the order of non-bonded CSP, then bonded CSP"

I attached the guidelines for local Australian admissions, with UQ guidelines being near the end of the document. UQ Ochsner likely uses some variant of these guidelines.

Attachments

• 2020-Medicine-GEMSAS-Admissions-Guide-v1.6-1.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
Current first year here. The interview is definitely one of the most important parts of your app, it’s not just a numbers game. The program has absolutely gotten more selective. If you look at the most recent class profiles, you’ll see that the average stats are above pretty much any DO school as well as some MD state schools. There’s no question its gotten more competitive. When it was still a relatively new program they were looking to fill seats, but with a growing reputation, Ochsner has had the luxury of being more selective. There are a number of people here who turned down US acceptances (both DO and MD). As far as the program goes, I’m very happy to be here and if anyone has questions I’ll do my best to provide some insight

Reactions: 1 users
Just heard about UQ-Ocshner this morning.

What is "MedEdPath"? What's the relationship between Ochsner,MedEdPath and UQ?
Where can I find information on the attrition rate?
Can this education be financed with loans from the US Government (Stafford & GradPLUS)?
I see the 93% match rate - that looks great. Is the overall palcement rate published anywhere? What did the unlucky 7% do after graduating?

Last edited:
I think you might be confusing the UQ-O and UQ traditional programs. The Ochsner program has had interviews for a while now. The UQ traditional program recently added interviews as a requirement. Ochsner made them add a interview after the first couple of classes made it to New Orleans and there were some students that personality wise were not fit for medicine. This is the first year they are doing MMI though. In previous years, the interview was talking for 6 minutes each for several questions without any real interaction from the interviewers. If you passed, your packet was sent to Australia to be reviewed. If you failed then you received an email informing you, your application would not be to sent to Australia.

Also, during my visit to New Orleans, the Dean mentioned they are trying to have a smaller class size than in previous years.

Sorry to hear you got rejected. Good news is that you can always reapply. Based on the GPA/MCAT of others that were accepted, it seems your MMI was what held you back. Thats honestly one of the easiest things to approve on. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I think you might be confusing the UQ-O and UQ traditional programs. The Ochsner program has had interviews for a while now. The UQ traditional program recently added interviews as a requirement. Ochsner made them add a interview after the first couple of classes made it to New Orleans and there were some students that personality wise were not fit for medicine. This is the first year they are doing MMI though. In previous years, the interview was talking for 6 minutes each for several questions without any real interaction from the interviewers. If you passed, your packet was sent to Australia to be reviewed. If you failed then you received an email informing you, your application would not be to sent to Australia.

Also, during my visit to New Orleans, the Dean mentioned they are trying to have a smaller class size than in previous years.

Sorry to hear you got rejected. Good news is that you can always reapply. Based on the GPA/MCAT of others that were accepted, it seems your MMI was what held you back. Thats honestly one of the easiest things to approve on. Best of luck.

They are trying to have a smaller class size just as I am ready to apply. Awesome haha

My class was the first class to have interviews. I am a 4th year student and the UQ-O Program is now in its 9th year.

Just heard about UQ-Ocshner this morning.

What is "MedEdPath"? What's the relationship between Ochsner,MedEdPath and UQ?
Where can I find information on the attrition rate?
Can this education be financed with loans from the US Government (Stafford & GradPLUS)?
I see the 93% match rate - that looks great. Is the overall palcement rate published anywhere? What did the unlucky 7% do after graduating?

Mededpath is the U.S. based application team used by UQ. They are the people that you send your application to, that make sure your paperwork is in order and are your first point of contact for questions or concerns as a prospective student. You talk to them if you are an applicant or prospective applicant thinking of applying.

Ochsner admin are the frontline staff who work in support of current students at Ochsner on rotations. Ochsner people also manage the interviews of applicants, interview day, etc.

UQ makes final decisions to accept people based on feedback from the Ochsner faculty who score you on interview I think. When I applied several years ago my application was forwarded to UQ to be decided on after passing the interview at Ochsner (not sure if it was just a stamp of approval or anything else, but the program has clearly gotten more competitive since then) but I'm not sure if that process has changed and if the acceptance is now directly decided by Ochsner. Honestly it doesn't really matter who decides because that is out of your hands. You apply and do your best on interview day and thats it. UQ admin are the people you deal with in your first 2 years in Brisbane. When you get to Ochsner you pretty much exclusively deal with Ochsner admin people.

Yes you can get US Govt Loans

What do you mean overall placement rate? They give you that information and its based on people who applied for the match. The people who didn't match likely end up doing a research year, reapplying next year, or getting a prelim spot somewhere after the match, or going back to Australia.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: