UQ-Ochsner 2020 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did everyone prepare for the virtual MMI? I keep reading negative interview experiences and I'm so nervous about mine now. Any tips?

Do you mean negative experiences in the sense of technical problems or in some other sense? Assuming you mean technical problems, here is my little bit of advice.

Keep in mind for your virtual MMI, you can only do so much. Prepare for the interview as you would any other by researching UQO's core values and mission, their program's history, ethical dilemmas and how you would handle certain murky scenarios, and so on. Make sure you follow their system requirements and recommendations before you sign in to interview. Should you run into any issues during the MMI, promptly email Alex M. (I believe she is still the primary point of contact for applicants) and explain the problem. I would imagine they are understanding and would likely allow you to reschedule or do some other sort of make up interviewing.

Thankfully, I was able to interview in-person (cheap flight, work schedule panned out, etc.) at Ochsner and I'm glad it worked out that way so I didn't need to worry about potential technical issues. I would strongly recommend this option if you are able as it eliminates the "unknown" of the computer and also allows you to see the Ochsner medical campus as well as the city of New Orleans itself.

If you haven't had the interview already, remember to relax and know that you've earned this interview. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students aware of the changes coming in 2021 application cycle and forward? I read on one of their websites that the relationship between UQ and Ochsner Clinic School was ending yet the beginning of the UQ-Ochsner Medical School was beginning. Is there any difference to this program-wise? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Any current students aware of the changes coming in 2021 application cycle and forward? I read on one of their websites that the relationship between UQ and Ochsner Clinic School was ending yet the beginning of the UQ-Ochsner Medical School was beginning. Is there any difference to this program-wise? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure which website you are talking about. I just checked UQ's medicine page and Ochsner Clinical School's page and the program is still advertised quite a bit. Also UQ has a page for their changing UQ-Ochsner admission requirements from now till 2022. Changes to MD admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure which website you are talking about. I just checked UQ's medicine page and Ochsner Clinical School's page and the program is still advertised quite a bit. Also UQ has a page for their changing UQ-Ochsner admission requirements from now till 2022. Changes to MD admissions
The new University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program
It looks like they will no longer be using MedEdPath for 2021. Also from what I've heard from several people at UQ is that they have been in the process of changing the curriculum to align more with Step 1. But other than that I don't really see much of a difference other than the name between the new University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program and the old The University of Queensland School of Medicine / Ochsner Clinical School Program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The new University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program
It looks like they will no longer be using MedEdPath for 2021. Also from what I've heard from several people at UQ is that they have been in the process of changing the curriculum to align more with Step 1. But other than that I don't really see much of a difference other than the name between the new University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program and the old The University of Queensland School of Medicine / Ochsner Clinical School Program.
Gotcha. Based on that it sounds like the "University of Queensland-Ochsner MD Program" is becoming its own entity with its own administration/staff. Smaller class size is nice! Seems like a good move.

this likely would mean a more competitive class profile?
In the past they have increased the MCAT cut off but doing this would also make it more competitive. Large class size and poor step 1 integration have also been common complaints of the program from what I've seen in past threads so maybe they are trying to change that.

Can 3rd and 4th year rotations still be done in the US?

Thanks for all of the responses! I figured that’s what it was. Becoming one entity rather than a partnership. @purplelion They are advertising it as education on two continents, so I think so.

Guys, I must be illiterate since no one is reading this like I am, but it just seems like UQ-Ochsner is closing down once the entering class of 2020 graduates...? Why would they use the word "end" to describe the change? It specifically says "After considerable reflection and discussion, we have decided to end the Program with the entering class of 2020." This makes it seem like the relationship between UQ and Ochsner will be over once the entering class of 2020 graduates and that they will be the last class experiencing the "new" changes. They sort of just gloss over what specific changes will be made...

Guys, I must be illiterate since no one is reading this like I am, but it just seems like UQ-Ochsner is closing down once the entering class of 2020 graduates...? Why would they use the word "end" to describe the change? It specifically says "After considerable reflection and discussion, we have decided to end the Program with the entering class of 2020." This makes it seem like the relationship between UQ and Ochsner will be over once the entering class of 2020 graduates and that they will be the last class experiencing the "new" changes. They sort of just gloss over what specific changes will be made...

Relax. Just a name change to reflect curriculum changes in the future. The MD curriculum is being evaluated and retooled in the next few years (nothing finalized) after 10 years of learning from the UQ-O partnership to keep up with new advances in student learning pedagogy and to keep UQ competitive with its peer institutions in attracting top applicants both in Australia and the U.S. Med schools make changes to their curriculum all the time after many years. It's a good thing. It probably involves legalese and contractual things also between UQ and Ochsner and thus the name change to reflect "newness". Literally above the part where you quoted showed the UQ-O program under a new name.

Relax. Just a name change to reflect curriculum changes in the future. The MD curriculum is being evaluated and retooled in the next few years (nothing finalized) after 10 years of learning from the UQ-O partnership to keep up with new advances in student learning pedagogy and to keep UQ competitive with its peer institutions in attracting top applicants both in Australia and the U.S. Med schools make changes to their curriculum all the time after many years. It's a good thing. It probably involves legalese and contractual things also between UQ and Ochsner and thus the name change to reflect "newness". Literally above the part where you quoted showed the UQ-O program under a new name.

I guess I'm just confused about what's actually ending. Are they just saying that they're getting rid of the "Ochsner Clinical School" and making the program more centralized towards UQ, with Ochsner serving as an away clincal site of UQ for the American cohort, somewhat similar to how Caribbean schools do it with US clerkships, perhaps with a closer and stronger relationship?

I guess I'm just confused about what's actually ending. Are they just saying that they're getting rid of the "Ochsner Clinical School" and making the program more centralized towards UQ, with Ochsner serving as an away clincal site of UQ for the American cohort, somewhat similar to how Caribbean schools do it with US clerkships, perhaps with a closer and stronger relationship?
It looks like they are just ending the usage of their old name and reorganizing the program administratively, especially for admissions because now they have their own admissions staff for just this program. Read the page again. Pending future curriculum changes, nothing has changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like they are just ending the usage of their old name and reorganizing the program administratively, especially for admissions because now they have their own admissions staff for just this program. Read the page again. Pending future curriculum changes, nothing has changed.

I'm just going to try to get over the fact they used the word "end" just to describe simple name and administrative changes. Seems like I'm putting way more stress on the word than everyone else is.

I'm just going to try to get over the fact they used the word "end" just to describe simple name and administrative changes. Seems like I'm putting way more stress on the word than everyone else is.
I know but that language is pretty common with rebranding. It's probably a legal issue and they have to say they are "new." My graduate school did something similar when they formed a "new school" that was actually just combining two departments together.

The original contract between UQ, Ochsner, and MedEdPath was for 10 years, they apparently signed a new contract for 5 with an option to extend for another 5 years. In reality, it shouldn't change anything except admissions will be handled directly by Ochsner now instead of using MedEdPath as a go-between.

The UQ curriculum is currently being revamped ("MD2025 curriculum reform process"): there are focus groups going on, e-mails & surveys coming out asking students for feedback. FAQs here: FAQs - MD2025 - check them out.

Long story short: no one can really predict what will change. At the moment, if you matriculate, you'll do years 1 & 2 in Brisbane, and years 3 & 4 in New Orleans at Ochsner, with a return rotation to Australia in 4th year, unless they remove that requirement (it's been rumored before, but nothing much has changed... the return rotation used to be 8 weeks, now it's 6 weeks).

Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible that Ochsner can now seek ACGME accreditation and graduates could be considered USMDs instead of IMGs? It seems like no it’s no longer just an Australian medical school that has a partnership with a US clinical site. It’s now more or less a combined AUS-US Medical school. I believe that now we will be graduates of University of Queensland - Ochsner School of Medicine, whereas all previous students are just graduates of UQ SoM

Is it possible that Ochsner can now seek ACGME accreditation and graduates could be considered USMDs instead of IMGs? It seems like no it’s no longer just an Australian medical school that has a partnership with a US clinical site. It’s now more or less a combined AUS-US Medical school. I believe that now we will be graduates of University of Queensland - Ochsner School of Medicine, whereas all previous students are just graduates of UQ SoM

I don't think that'll be possible through UQ or any non US/Canadian schools. Ochsner will probably need to establish a medical school on American/Canadian soil, either completely on their own, or by partnering with a US/Canadian university, for their graduates to be considered USMDs.

It was approved by ACGME, Dr. Seoane announced it on 9/6. Exciting news for the EM applicants this cycle & in coming cycles.

That's nuts! I've been kinda distancing myself from EM because it's really tough for IMGs but that's a great opportunity for UQO students. I'm excited to see how the match goes!

Currently on the waitlist. Will I receive an email regardless of outcome?

I hope you do. The waiting sounds painful....

Did they mention anything about being accepted into the next class if you don't make it into this one? I remember reading a post saying someone was offered admission through this option. I'm assuming they don't do this anymore since the program is so popular now, and especially since they're changing the whole admissions process anyway...

Hope you hear good news!

I hope you do. The waiting sounds painful....

Did they mention anything about being accepted into the next class if you don't make it into this one? I remember reading a post saying someone was offered admission through this option. I'm assuming they don't do this anymore since the program is so popular now, and especially since they're changing the whole admissions process anyway...

Hope you hear good news!
Sadly, no. They only said my application will be reviewed at a later date.

The original contract between UQ, Ochsner, and MedEdPath was for 10 years, they apparently signed a new contract for 5 with an option to extend for another 5 years. In reality, it shouldn't change anything except admissions will be handled directly by Ochsner now instead of using MedEdPath as a go-between.

The UQ curriculum is currently being revamped ("MD2025 curriculum reform process"): there are focus groups going on, e-mails & surveys coming out asking students for feedback. FAQs here: FAQs - MD2025 - check them out.

Long story short: no one can really predict what will change. At the moment, if you matriculate, you'll do years 1 & 2 in Brisbane, and years 3 & 4 in New Orleans at Ochsner, with a return rotation to Australia in 4th year, unless they remove that requirement (it's been rumored before, but nothing much has changed... the return rotation used to be 8 weeks, now it's 6 weeks).
I guess next year's thread will even have a new name. Cool to see that this program is undergoing a metamorphosis.

Does anyone know when the decisions will be released for those who interviewed on Aug 9th? Is it usually two months after your interview date?

Hi! first year UQ-O student here. I wanted to put myself out there to answer any questions and provide y'all with some info about the program that I have not encountered elsewhere on the internet!

disclaimer- Some of my opinions are negative and I just want to be clear I am not here to bash this program for my own benefit. I am really just trying to help future/prospective students by telling the truth. I wish I had known a lot of this earlier so that I could be more prepared. Please feel free to reach out/message me directly with any other questions!!

-Lectures: UQ uses a lot of guest lecturers. Because of this, the quality of lecture is inconsistent and all over the place. Overall for me this is not a huge problem but do note that you will need to use these to study for UQ exams as they like to include minutia from lectures. They are available online which is super convenient and it's up to you to decide if you benefit from attending them in person. Keep in mind there are about 500 first year med students so it's very impersonal; if you're not there no one will miss you ;)

-CBL/CCE: These are the classes you are obligated to attend and you will be with the same CBL group of ~10 students the whole year. This is about 7 hours total per week. All tutors and coaches are not created equal and this can severely impact your experience. For CBL the only thing a bad tutor will impact is your sanity but for CCE a bad tutor can make it difficult to learn the clinical examinations properly (these are graded). My personal experience with this has been unfortunately pretty bad but I have friends who have been blessed with great CBL members/tutors so it's kind of the luck of the draw!

-All other "tutes"
: These are practicals (labs) that are built into your schedule. Pretty sure none of them are mandatory and again the tutors for these vary so unless you luck out with good tutors, most students have concluded that these are a waste of time and therefore don't attend. Some people still go and you will be able to determine for yourself if you will learn better by reading through the notes as home. Most people will recommend going to "GAF" which is anatomy lab but YMMV because these are very crowded and they are unguided unless you are lucky enough to find a tutor to go through things with you. Teach yourself everything beforehand so that you are not a lost puppy in the lab!!

-Exams: The way UQ exam questions are written will make you want to bang your head against a wall. Often they include several questions that should be thrown out for being vague or having multiple answers but they always keep them in there. This is one of those things that everyone just finds a way to accept and deal with. I think this is a really common sentiment in medical school so I don't know how much worse UQ is than average.

-Observership:
I want to be really, really clear with something that was not obvious to me beforehand. UQ does not help you with securing your observerships besides offering the possibility to place you for 4 of the 8 weeks (you do not get to choose location or specialty if you apply for this, and nothing is guaranteed). You will need to cold call random doctors and pray that someone will be willing to sign a placement agreement. Flashback to undergrad when you were reaching out to doctors and asking if you could shadow them once a week; except this time they have to commit to doing extra work and being responsible for your education. Some people luck out with this and don't have much problem. For others this process has been an absolute nightmare. UQ prohibits you from reaching out to any public health facility across the entire state as well as any practitioner that is affiliated with UQ or any UQ clinical sites. There is so much I could say about how unreasonable and unprofessional this is on UQs part but I will save you the rant and get to the point- worst case scenario, expect to have to pay tuition to other institutions for observership placement ($1000+ per placement) that is not included in your loans so budget accordingly. Because of how limited we are in where we can observe in Brisbane the other option is to do an observership out of state which will be at an added cost regardless. If by some miracle you are able to secure a full 8 weeks in Brisbane without paying extra tuition fees it will be with a GP in an outer suburb; so contact these people first.

-Ochsner:
At the beginning of the year you will get a really good explanation of Step resources and recommendations from other students. For the rest of year 1 there is not really a ton of added support or anything specific to Ochsnser besides the student association so for all intents and purposes you are just like any other UQ med student (except that your tuition is way more lol). You will have minimal communication with Ochsner admin. (For example: still no one has really told us about how the program is changing or anything because of the MedEd contract ending)

-UQ Med: No medical school is perfect, and I really have nothing to compare this to since I have obviously never attended any other med school. I think this is a common consensus; and many programs are plagued by the similar problems, so I probably would not use this as a deciding factor. But I will say... the lack of respect and support that the UQ faculty of medicine has for their students is seriously shocking. Don't expect them to listen or care to anything you have to say. If they make any kind of mistake, do not expect them to take responsibility for it or try to fix it. There are some admin staff that are nice and seem like they almost want to help but in the end they will not do anything for you, whether it's because they just don't want to or because their hands are tied. My experience with this administration has been so awful that it has made me regret turning down other schools to come here. There is so much that happens that is blatantly unfair and you can certainly just "suck it up and get through it" but it is a significant added layer of stress that is unecessary and important to take into account.

-Brisbane: Some people love it and others don't, but I have been pleasantly surprised with this city. It's really affordable and the transport is better than in most of the US, plus it's relatively safe. I highly recommend living along the busway because it is reliable and bypasses traffic. Specifically I'd recommend looking at places in walking distance of Wollongabba station, South Bank station, Mater Hill station, or Cultural Center station. However, there are plenty of students living in other places (Toowong, Milton, CBD) that are very happy there. I did not find the process of finding a place/signing a lease/moving in as quick as some other people suggested, so I recommend getting to Brisbane a good 2-3 weeks before orientation to sort this out.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi! first year UQ-O student here. I wanted to put myself out there to answer any questions and provide y'all with some info about the program that I have not encountered elsewhere on the internet!

disclaimer- Some of my opinions are negative and I just want to be clear I am not here to bash this program for my own benefit. I am really just trying to help future/prospective students by telling the truth. I wish I had known a lot of this earlier so that I could be more prepared. Please feel free to reach out/message me directly with any other questions!!

-Lectures: UQ uses a lot of guest lecturers. Because of this, the quality of lecture is inconsistent and all over the place. Overall for me this is not a huge problem but do note that you will need to use these to study for UQ exams as they like to include minutia from lectures. They are available online which is super convenient and it's up to you to decide if you benefit from attending them in person. Keep in mind there are about 500 first year med students so it's very impersonal; if you're not there no one will miss you ;)

-CBL/CCE: These are the classes you are obligated to attend and you will be with the same CBL group of ~10 students the whole year. This is about 7 hours total per week. All tutors and coaches are not created equal and this can severely impact your experience. For CBL the only thing a bad tutor will impact is your sanity but for CCE a bad tutor can make it difficult to learn the clinical examinations properly (these are graded). My personal experience with this has been unfortunately pretty bad but I have friends who have been blessed with great CBL members/tutors so it's kind of the luck of the draw!

-All other "tutes": These are practicals (labs) that are built into your schedule. Pretty sure none of them are mandatory and again the tutors for these vary so unless you luck out with good tutors, most students have concluded that these are a waste of time and therefore don't attend. Some people still go and you will be able to determine for yourself if you will learn better by reading through the notes as home. Most people will recommend going to "GAF" which is anatomy lab but YMMV because these are very crowded and they are unguided unless you are lucky enough to find a tutor to go through things with you. Teach yourself everything beforehand so that you are not a lost puppy in the lab!!

-Exams: The way UQ exam questions are written will make you want to bang your head against a wall. Often they include several questions that should be thrown out for being vague or having multiple answers but they always keep them in there. This is one of those things that everyone just finds a way to accept and deal with. I think this is a really common sentiment in medical school so I don't know how much worse UQ is than average.

-Observership: I want to be really, really clear with something that was not obvious to me beforehand. UQ does not help you with securing your observerships besides offering the possibility to place you for 4 of the 8 weeks (you do not get to choose location or specialty if you apply for this, and nothing is guaranteed). You will need to cold call random doctors and pray that someone will be willing to sign a placement agreement. Flashback to undergrad when you were reaching out to doctors and asking if you could shadow them once a week; except this time they have to commit to doing extra work and being responsible for your education. Some people luck out with this and don't have much problem. For others this process has been an absolute nightmare. UQ prohibits you from reaching out to any public health facility across the entire state as well as any practitioner that is affiliated with UQ or any UQ clinical sites. There is so much I could say about how unreasonable and unprofessional this is on UQs part but I will save you the rant and get to the point- worst case scenario, expect to have to pay tuition to other institutions for observership placement ($1000+ per placement) that is not included in your loans so budget accordingly. Because of how limited we are in where we can observe in Brisbane the other option is to do an observership out of state which will be at an added cost regardless. If by some miracle you are able to secure a full 8 weeks in Brisbane without paying extra tuition fees it will be with a GP in an outer suburb; so contact these people first.

-Ochsner: At the beginning of the year you will get a really good explanation of Step resources and recommendations from other students. For the rest of year 1 there is not really a ton of added support or anything specific to Ochsnser besides the student association so for all intents and purposes you are just like any other UQ med student (except that your tuition is way more lol). You will have minimal communication with Ochsner admin. (For example: still no one has really told us about how the program is changing or anything because of the MedEd contract ending)

-UQ Med: No medical school is perfect, and I really have nothing to compare this to since I have obviously never attended any other med school. I think this is a common consensus; and many programs are plagued by the similar problems, so I probably would not use this as a deciding factor. But I will say... the lack of respect and support that the UQ faculty of medicine has for their students is seriously shocking. Don't expect them to listen or care to anything you have to say. If they make any kind of mistake, do not expect them to take responsibility for it or try to fix it. There are some admin staff that are nice and seem like they almost want to help but in the end they will not do anything for you, whether it's because they just don't want to or because their hands are tied. My experience with this administration has been so awful that it has made me regret turning down other schools to come here. There is so much that happens that is blatantly unfair and you can certainly just "suck it up and get through it" but it is a significant added layer of stress that is unecessary and important to take into account.

-Brisbane: Some people love it and others don't, but I have been pleasantly surprised with this city. It's really affordable and the transport is better than in most of the US, plus it's relatively safe. I highly recommend living along the busway because it is reliable and bypasses traffic. Specifically I'd recommend looking at places in walking distance of Wollongabba station, South Bank station, Mater Hill station, or Cultural Center station. However, there are plenty of students living in other places (Toowong, Milton, CBD) that are very happy there. I did not find the process of finding a place/signing a lease/moving in as quick as some other people suggested, so I recommend getting to Brisbane a good 2-3 weeks before orientation to sort this out.
Thank you for the write up! That's really helpful, especially the stuff about the observership.

Do you have any advice for avoiding or navigating some of the UQ administration troubles you experienced? Are there additional things we can prepare for or anticipate dealing with ahead of time?

Last edited:
-Observership: I want to be really, really clear with something that was not obvious to me beforehand. UQ does not help you with securing your observerships besides offering the possibility to place you for 4 of the 8 weeks (you do not get to choose location or specialty if you apply for this, and nothing is guaranteed). You will need to cold call random doctors and pray that someone will be willing to sign a placement agreement. Flashback to undergrad when you were reaching out to doctors and asking if you could shadow them once a week; except this time they have to commit to doing extra work and being responsible for your education. Some people luck out with this and don't have much problem. For others this process has been an absolute nightmare. UQ prohibits you from reaching out to any public health facility across the entire state as well as any practitioner that is affiliated with UQ or any UQ clinical sites. There is so much I could say about how unreasonable and unprofessional this is on UQs part but I will save you the rant and get to the point- worst case scenario, expect to have to pay tuition to other institutions for observership placement ($1000+ per placement) that is not included in your loans so budget accordingly. Because of how limited we are in where we can observe in Brisbane the other option is to do an observership out of state which will be at an added cost regardless. If by some miracle you are able to secure a full 8 weeks in Brisbane without paying extra tuition fees it will be with a GP in an outer suburb; so contact these people first.

Just to give a counterpoint to this, I'm a current 4th year. I had no issues with observership. UQ placed me in a Queensland Health hospital for 4 weeks in the specialty I preferenced, and I arranged my own elective for the other 4 weeks, also in Brisbane, at private hospitals. Private hospitals are a pretty good bet, and the earlier you try to get in touch with someone, the better off you'll be - do not put off trying to arrange your observership to September or October, or you're going to have a bad time. UQ will help if you really need help, but you have to take charge of your own medical education. You can ask your CBL tutor or clinical coaching doc if she or he has any friends that will accept students. I know in my cohort, a decent proportion of people didn't have to pay anything and ended up traveling out of QLD to do all or part of their electives. I had an opportunity to do part of it in NZ (Auckland) but UQ wouldn't approve it.

There was supposed to be a database that UQMS/OMSA was putting together with contact information about previous observerships students had done to eliminate some of the legwork. I'm not sure what has happened with that project.

Thank you for the write up! That's really helpful, especially the stuff about the observership.

Do you have any advice for avoiding or navigating some of the UQ administration troubles you experienced? Are there additional things we can prepare for or anticipate dealing with ahead of time?

In all honesty, be prepared to have to put up with a lot of BS and just try ignore it to the best of your ability. I have done pretty much everything in my power to communicate with admin and resolve some of these issues for future classes, but they have been unhelpful at best and even condescending towards me and other students. I try not to take it personally but it's definitely frustrating and very new for me as I have never had to deal with this level of unprofessionalism from a school.

Why would you ever turn down a US MD/DO!!!???

I feel like many people have answered this question in the past but there are plenty of reasons that one might turn down US schools. I don't like to entertain this black and white idea of US MD/DO being better for everyone. I care a lot about location of program, access to research, and variety of clinical experience that a program is able to offer. I am certainly not the only one that turned down other acceptances to be here, and I am sure I will not be the last! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just to give a counterpoint to this, I'm a current 4th year. I had no issues with observership. UQ placed me in a Queensland Health hospital for 4 weeks in the specialty I preferenced, and I arranged my own elective for the other 4 weeks, also in Brisbane, at private hospitals. Private hospitals are a pretty good bet, and the earlier you try to get in touch with someone, the better off you'll be - do not put off trying to arrange your observership to September or October, or you're going to have a bad time. UQ will help if you really need help, but you have to take charge of your own medical education. You can ask your CBL tutor or clinical coaching doc if she or he has any friends that will accept students. I know in my cohort, a decent proportion of people didn't have to pay anything and ended up traveling out of QLD to do all or part of their electives. I had an opportunity to do part of it in NZ (Auckland) but UQ wouldn't approve it.

There was supposed to be a database that UQMS/OMSA was putting together with contact information about previous observerships students had done to eliminate some of the legwork. I'm not sure what has happened with that project.

I don't want to invalidate your experience but I also don't want future students to be mislead like a lot of the current first year class was. I am glad to hear you did not have much trouble but I think it may have gotten a bit more difficult as the program has grown and the guidelines have become more strict. This year UQ is not really offering choice of specialty in their placements and many people did not get preferred location either. I began calling and emailing places in May so starting early didn't really help. So far UQ has not helped except to say "Oh, it's only September so you still have plenty of time."

There is a database! which was a good idea in theory but many of us contacted a good portion of people on that list back in June/July and did not get a single response. If I had known what a pain this was going to be I could have been more prepared earlier but I really didn't think it was going to take up so much time, money, and energy and part of that is because nobody warned us

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting read.
I noticed two immediate goals that will apply to 2021+ cohorts:

Increase student enrolments from the Gulf Coast of the United States.

Decrease class sizes to enhance the learning experience and access to resources.

The expected decrease in class size is foreseen to go from 120 to 90-100, at most a 25% reduction in cohort size. Based on recent replies, I think UQ is addressing the straining of resources this way. Still, I can't help but feel that this would be make admissions needlessly more competitive especially for non-Gulf Coast people.

Does anyone know when the decisions will be released for those who interviewed on Aug 9th? Is it usually two months after your interview date?

I think the results for both August interview dates will be released next week (first week of October). Not feeling confident at all. Good luck to you!

Interesting read.
I noticed two immediate goals that will apply to 2021+ cohorts:

The expected decrease in class size is foreseen to go from 120 to 90-100, at most a 25% reduction in cohort size. Based on recent replies, I think UQ is addressing the straining of resources this way. Still, I can't help but feel that this would be make admissions needlessly more competitive especially for non-Gulf Coast people.
Yeah it’s already on par in competitiveness for a good amount of DO schools, and even a few low tier USMD schools. It’ll be interesting to see how these changes affect admissions and the pool of applicants, esp considering the whole IMG thing.

Yeah it’s already on par in competitiveness for a good amount of DO schools, and even a few low tier USMD schools. It’ll be interesting to see how these changes affect admissions and the pool of applicants, esp considering the whole IMG thing.

UQ-O's student demographics and stats will probably end up looking quite similar to those of LSU medical schools in a few years (maybe even starting with this upcoming 2020 class). With that new agenda to admit more students from around the area, most students will be from Louisiana and the Gulf area, with average MCAT between 505 (LSU-Shreveport) and 509 (LSU-New Orleans). The average SGPA for both schools is 3.6, which I'm sure UQ-O will probably catch up to in a year or two. It will end up being quite difficult for applicants from California, New York, etc to get into, just like how it's harder for them to get into other states schools with heavy in-state preference.

Also a first year and thought I would respond to each section here. Its good to get multiple viewpoints and though I can empathize with what some of middle meningeal said, I have a different take on much of it

I dont go to lectures and hardly know anyone who does. Its an outdated way of learning medicine and the knowledge you acquire will come from heavily studying the plethora of resources available for Step 1. I scroll through lecture powerpoints to pick out the minutia that I think might be tested, and I dont know anyone whos learning solely from lecture.

-CBL/CCE:
These are the classes you are obligated to attend and you will be with the same CBL group of ~10 students the whole year. This is about 7 hours total per week. All tutors and coaches are not created equal and this can severely impact your experience. For CBL the only thing a bad tutor will impact is your sanity but for CCE a bad tutor can make it difficult to learn the clinical examinations properly (these are graded). My personal experience with this has been unfortunately pretty bad but I have friends who have been blessed with great CBL members/tutors so it's kind of the luck of the draw!

Agree with you about CBL. A good tutor can make it a great learning experience but a bad tutor will make you feel like you are just wasting 2.5 hours twice a week because you are obligated to be there. I think CBL is a good thing overall and can be really helpful in trying to understand the thought process of a physician, but yeah it really is luck of the draw with who you get. For CCE, I don't really understand how you could have such a bad experience. We have basically one graded physical exam for each module (e.g. a cardio exam, pulmonary, neuro, gastro, etc.) and its not like they're hard to pass at all. You have CC once a week and in the ensuing weeks before your exam, your tutor is supposed to show you how to perform it. Honestly being there for 2 hours at a time for multiple weeks before the examination just feels like a waste of time because it doesnt take long to learn. We usually go over everything for like the first half hour and then are just BSing the rest of the time (depends on how cool your tutor is though I guess). But to act like this has been such a bad experience for you, I mean dude they post videos online showing you exactly how to perform the exam god forbid you have a useless tutor. I always have my exams at 1pm, I wake up that morning and review it all for the first time and pass everytime. Im sorry but there really isnt much to complain about regarding CC

-All other "tutes"
: These are practicals (labs) that are built into your schedule. Pretty sure none of them are mandatory and again the tutors for these vary so unless you luck out with good tutors, most students have concluded that these are a waste of time and therefore don't attend. Some people still go and you will be able to determine for yourself if you will learn better by reading through the notes as home. Most people will recommend going to "GAF" which is anatomy lab but YMMV because these are very crowded and they are unguided unless you are lucky enough to find a tutor to go through things with you. Teach yourself everything beforehand so that you are not a lost puppy in the lab!!

Ok regarding the tutes, I generally feel like they are a waste. I dont think this is a bad thing though because theyre not mandatory and based on what you decide to do you can have a TON of free time. You can utilize that free time to study your ass off and be in a postion where youre basically just spending 2 years studying for step. The fact of the matter is, all we have to show up to is CBL twice a week for 2.5 hours each, and CC once a week for 2 hours. Thats literally it. All the other space in your schedule is yours to do what you want with and that leaves so much time to study and be beyond adequately prepared for Step. Idk how much free time students get at other med schools, but this is one thing I would have to imagine plays to our advantage regarding that test. I honestly dont go to anatomy (GAF). I dont think UQ runs it well and its kind of a waste. You have an anatomy spotter and the end of each semester, and theres a huge set of flashcards on the Drive that will cover everything youll need to pass the spotter just fine. So its not like not going to GAF is going to be detrimental

-Exams:
The way UQ exam questions are written will make you want to bang your head against a wall. Often they include several questions that should be thrown out for being vague or having multiple answers but they always keep them in there. This is one of those things that everyone just finds a way to accept and deal with. I think this is a really common sentiment in medical school so I don't know how much worse UQ is than average.

This I definitely agree with. I think the exams can be pretty ridiculous. They throw in some just nonsensical questions and I feel like for the most part, the exams just are not a fair assessment of the material covered. With only two exams a semester (50 and 90 questions for the midsem and final respectively), I feel like no matter what score you get, its probably not a good indicator of the knowledge you've accumulated up to taking them. That being said, its not like you shouldnt be passing these exams. If you put in the work, you will pass (they are not THAT unfair). Its just frustrating with how much you study and how much you know, to feel like youre not accurately being assessed. It'd be nice if they did a better job predominantly testing fundamental medical principles, opposed to mixing in some trivial nonsense that end up making too large a percentage of your grade in a 50 or 90 question test. Its annoying but ultimately, you shouldnt be failing if you put the work in.

-Observership:
I want to be really, really clear with something that was not obvious to me beforehand. UQ does not help you with securing your observerships besides offering the possibility to place you for 4 of the 8 weeks (you do not get to choose location or specialty if you apply for this, and nothing is guaranteed). You will need to cold call random doctors and pray that someone will be willing to sign a placement agreement. Flashback to undergrad when you were reaching out to doctors and asking if you could shadow them once a week; except this time they have to commit to doing extra work and being responsible for your education. Some people luck out with this and don't have much problem. For others this process has been an absolute nightmare. UQ prohibits you from reaching out to any public health facility across the entire state as well as any practitioner that is affiliated with UQ or any UQ clinical sites. There is so much I could say about how unreasonable and unprofessional this is on UQs part but I will save you the rant and get to the point- worst case scenario, expect to have to pay tuition to other institutions for observership placement ($1000+ per placement) that is not included in your loans so budget accordingly. Because of how limited we are in where we can observe in Brisbane the other option is to do an observership out of state which will be at an added cost regardless. If by some miracle you are able to secure a full 8 weeks in Brisbane without paying extra tuition fees it will be with a GP in an outer suburb; so contact these people first.

I'll agree here that the observership process is a pretty annoying one. UQ will give you one for 4 weeks but it is your responsibility to find another one. I have heard its been difficult for people, I guess I got a little lucky. I mean, I denied UQs automatic placement cause I didnt like what they offered and I found placement on my own with two different private physicians (both are specialists within a mile of my apartment in brisbane, Not a GP in an outer suburb). Just relax a little with the "you need to pray someone will be willing to sign a placement agreement," I mean yeah dude its a ****ty process, but at the same time I dont know one second year who was SOL on placement last summer. Ive heard other people have contacted a ton of docs to no avail and settled on paying $1000 to get placed somewhere. That to me just sounded crazy and I thought it was a matter of them just not wanting to deal with finding someone on their own anymore. I didnt get why people resorted to that, but I guess I was just fortunate in the process. I emailed like a total of 8 doctors and two of them got back to me and I worked it out with them. I think if you put enough effort in, you're not going to have to worry about paying a grand to fullfill your requirement. But I do agree, the process sucks and is just an annoying one. I believe that in the coming years, there will be a bonafide database with a list of physicians that took people on, and this should make it easier in the future.

-Ochsner:
At the beginning of the year you will get a really good explanation of Step resources and recommendations from other students. For the rest of year 1 there is not really a ton of added support or anything specific to Ochsnser besides the student association so for all intents and purposes you are just like any other UQ med student (except that your tuition is way more lol). You will have minimal communication with Ochsner admin. (For example: still no one has really told us about how the program is changing or anything because of the MedEd contract ending)

Nothing to add here as we are not in years 3 or 4. If prospective applicants are reading these posts trying to get an objective opinion on the school and want to make an informed decision if they are accepted, then I hope some 3rd and 4th year students can elaborate on what things are like in phase 2. I've heard this is where we get a really good education and that Ochsner prepares you exceedingly well for your intern year wherever you may end up.

-UQ Med:
No medical school is perfect, and I really have nothing to compare this to since I have obviously never attended any other med school. I think this is a common consensus; and many programs are plagued by the similar problems, so I probably would not use this as a deciding factor. But I will say... the lack of respect and support that the UQ faculty of medicine has for their students is seriously shocking. Don't expect them to listen or care to anything you have to say. If they make any kind of mistake, do not expect them to take responsibility for it or try to fix it. There are some admin staff that are nice and seem like they almost want to help but in the end they will not do anything for you, whether it's because they just don't want to or because their hands are tied. My experience with this administration has been so awful that it has made me regret turning down other schools to come here. There is so much that happens that is blatantly unfair and you can certainly just "suck it up and get through it" but it is a significant added layer of stress that is unecessary and important to take into account.

I have no idea what you are talking about here and instead of just creating hysteria about how bad things are, why dont you give everyone the courtesy of explaining what your experiences were. Im not gonna act like I think the faculty of medicine is any good and I dont believe what you're saying isnt true, I just dont think that their lack of student support is all that consequential. Like honestly, whats the big issue? The first two years here are basically just: study, take a test, move on to next semester. After those two years were at Ochsner where weve been told this is where our school really shines. I mean the first two years of medical school anywhere is really just studying for Step 1. Then you start clinicals where you learn how to actually be a physician, and our school is fantastic in that regard. So I dont know what youre so upest about that you regret coming here when it shouldnt even make a difference, just study for step man and then you'll move on to the next phase. Theres literally nothing else to be that focused on. Like I said before, we have a pretty open schedule and I think its a benefit of coming here that you will have an enourmous amount of time to prepare for that test. If anything UQ does well, its the fact that they sprinkle in enough clinical exposure in the first 2 years that will you give you a nice leg up when you start 3rd year. Listen I get it, the FOM doesnt communicate well and it could be frustrating, I personally never had to deal with them cause I dont know what I would even bring up as an issue. I just study for the tests, take them, and move on. What else is there to be all wrapped up in?

-Brisbane:
Some people love it and others don't, but I have been pleasantly surprised with this city. It's really affordable and the transport is better than in most of the US, plus it's relatively safe. I highly recommend living along the busway because it is reliable and bypasses traffic. Specifically I'd recommend looking at places in walking distance of Wollongabba station, South Bank station, Mater Hill station, or Cultural Center station. However, there are plenty of students living in other places (Toowong, Milton, CBD) that are very happy there. I did not find the process of finding a place/signing a lease/moving in as quick as some other people suggested, so I recommend getting to Brisbane a good 2-3 weeks before orientation to sort this out.

Good advice here, I agree. I like it here in brisbane, wouldnt say love, but I dont dislike it at all. Its a nice place with a decent amount to do. You kind of see everything the city has to offer pretty quickly and you get used to is fast. Its somewhat quiet here I would say, and ultimately not a bad place to be studying medicine. Theres stuff to do when you want to do stuff, but Its also a good place to just kick back and chill

Reactions: 5 users
I commented on each of middle meningeal's posts above (comments written in bold under their take on each section). I have a much different sentiment and anyone reading this should get objective and informed perspectives. Other first years reading this should provide any input of their own to further help people trying to make a decision

Reactions: 3 users
I commented on each of middle meningeal's posts above (comments written in bold under their take on each section). I have a much different sentiment and anyone reading this should get objective and informed perspectives. Other first years reading this should provide any input of their own to further help people trying to make a decision
Thanks for your input!

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about the pre-matriculation requirements, especially the student background check:
  1. For the student background check in PreCheck, do I use this link (Home Page)? If so, what do I input for the “School” and “Program” boxes? Do I also have to input every U.S. and international address I lived in the past seven years in PreCheck?
  2. On the UQ website, it says students have to complete a criminal history check for “any country you have resided in for a period of more than two years since reaching 18 years of age.” For a person who, say, lived in a country (other than the U.S.) for 1.5 years, then moved to the U.S. for 1 year, and then went back to living in the first country for 1 year, does that person need to complete the criminal history check for the first country?

Thank you!

I've also got a question but its about the Visa process. So we've got to include our employment history which includes points of contact. I haven't told my job I'm leaving yet and I would like to keep it that way until the end of November so I'm not replaced any time soon. Does anyone know if Australia's homeland affairs contacted their employment points of contact during their visa review period? It seems like a lot of effort for student visas but if that is a common practice I'll have to postpone submitting my visa application until I've told my job in November.

I'm not sure if anyone else has been in a similar situation but I would appreciate any input.

I've also got a question but its about the Visa process. So we've got to include our employment history which includes points of contact. I haven't told my job I'm leaving yet and I would like to keep it that way until the end of November so I'm not replaced any time soon. Does anyone know if Australia's homeland affairs contacted their employment points of contact during their visa review period? It seems like a lot of effort for student visas but if that is a common practice I'll have to postpone submitting my visa application until I've told my job in November.

I'm not sure if anyone else has been in a similar situation but I would appreciate any input.
My visa has been approved, my office was not notified

I think the results for both August interview dates will be released next week (first week of October). Not feeling confident at all. Good luck to you!

Yeah, I wasn't sure since I'd heard October 9 but also heard end of September.

Thank you! Did you interview in Aug too? Wishing you the best of luck as well!! This program sounds amazing so getting in would be a blessing.

Yeah, I wasn't sure since I'd heard October 9 but also heard end of September.

Thank you! Did you interview in Aug too? Wishing you the best of luck as well!! This program sounds amazing so getting in would be a blessing.

Yeah, August haha
The email I got said first week of October, so I hope it's earlier than October 9th... That's well into the second week. We've waited long enough already I think haha

Also had no issue with setting up observership. Some of this is just taking charge of your education and finding docs/hospitals willing to take you. Does it take a little work ? Sure. UQ doesn't have to spoon feed you everything. None of my friends had a problem securing stuff on their own. And it's a great opportunity to go out of state and do something rural or in another city in Australia after your first year. I had a blast on mine. Just takes a little creativity to set up.

Last edited:
UQ-O's student demographics and stats will probably end up looking quite similar to those of LSU medical schools in a few years (maybe even starting with this upcoming 2020 class). With that new agenda to admit more students from around the area, most students will be from Louisiana and the Gulf area, with average MCAT between 505 (LSU-Shreveport) and 509 (LSU-New Orleans). The average SGPA for both schools is 3.6, which I'm sure UQ-O will probably catch up to in a year or two. It will end up being quite difficult for applicants from California, New York, etc to get into, just like how it's harder for them to get into other states schools with heavy in-state preference.

Reminder this is all speculation. None of us know exactly how it will change demographically. UQO attracts a specific type of person that is willing to move to another country for 2 years and then train in Louisiana for 2 years. There will always likely be a more diverse class than is currently at the LSUs. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter- if you wanna go, apply, and see if you get in.

4th year here and agree with most of @DocLA22 counterpoints to @MiddleMeningeal. Honestly the program gives you loads of free time and its up to you to be effective with that time. I certainly wish I was more effective with it when I was a 1st and 2nd year student. No med school will hold your hand. It's honestly a blessing to have that much free time with how many good resources there are to study this stuff on your own time. No one can spoon feed you step 1 stuff either you just gotta go out there and learn it. The lectures and exams are annoying but passable if you do the work and the lectures aren't mandatory to attend. Observership is not that hard to set up. And yes the teaching at Ochsner is really good once you get there. If you do fine on step 1 you will have a great foundation to build on for your clinical years at Ochsner. Never really had to interact with admin much because I just went with the flow. The admin stuff doesn't really make or break your experience. Pass the exams and move on, see what works for you and what doesn't. Admin at Ochsner is also excellent once you get there.

Reactions: 3 users
Also had no issue with setting up observership. Some of this is just taking charge of your education and finding docs/hospitals willing to take you. Does it take a little work ? Sure. UQ doesn't have to spoon feed you everything. None of my friends had a problem securing stuff on their own. And it's a great opportunity to go out of state and do something rural or in another city in Australia after your first year. I had a blast on mine. Just takes a little creativity to set up.

I am also a first year student and know of many other students who have had a ton of problems organizing their observership so I guess it’s a mixed bag! I ended up having to spend a lot of time reaching out to hundreds doctors across the country and only got 2 responses, one of which required I pay a hefty application fee. I’m good now but it was not a fun process. I think I know of at least 5 other students off the top of my head who have still not been able to finalize their placements even though they’ve been looking for a while. Luckily it’s only an issue 1st year and then you won’t have to deal with it again

I’ll bite lol although I don’t have too much to add. I think their write up was pretty accurate. I guess the only think I can add besides my issues with observership stuff is that I have also had a bad experience with admin but as you said it doesn’t matter for most students. Generally I think they tend to blame students for anything that goes wrong, which sometimes is valid but most of the time is not. As long as you have no issues/UQ doesn’t mess anything up for you personally you shouldn’t need to deal with it, but yeah you should pray that you don’t need to haha