UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current UQ students talk about student life? Is there a lot of involvement in outside orgs and are there any sports/athletic-based competitions or activities? I'm big on volleyball and tennis, but really enjoy any type of physical activity. I noticed a lot of places to hike northwest of Brisbane and I would assume there are activities to do on/by the water.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone started the background check process? I am trying to access the website called precheck but I am not getting through. thanks
I did it already. The precheck was pretty straight-forward but cost ~$50. Are you still not able to access it?

Anyone else felt they completely bombed their MMI? Or is it just me? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else felt they completely bombed their MMI? Or is it just me? Lol

I didn't feel good about mine (Didn't prepare before going into it etc.) And I got an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
I also felt like I bombed mine. How long after your interview did you hear back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I interviewed on the 21st of May and received an offer on the 8th of June. So less than 3 weeks.

I also interviewed today! Definitely feeling nervous but still trying to remain hopeful! If we hear back at the same rate as those who interviewed on May 21st I would think that maybe July 6th will be the day. I'm sure its hard to calculate but anyone know around how many spots are left open? They say its normally around 90 students a year and they have been interviewing since February.

Wishing all of us luck in the next acceptances!:)

Remaining hopeful is the best thing we can do now, it’s done haha. Sending all of us good luck!

I also interviewed today! Definitely feeling nervous but still trying to remain hopeful! If we hear back at the same rate as those who interviewed on May 21st I would think that maybe July 6th will be the day. I'm sure its hard to calculate but anyone know around how many spots are left open? They say its normally around 90 students a year and they have been interviewing since February.

Wishing all of us luck in the next acceptances!:)
Me too! It's so nice to finally be done! Remaining hopeful, staying positive, and looking forward to hearing from them soon.

Best of luck, y'all!

Can anyone tell me how the payment schedule is? Is tuition due all at once or do you pay by the semester. Does this mean people take loans all at once or on a semester/yearly basis?

Can anyone tell me how the payment schedule is? Is tuition due all at once or do you pay by the semester. Does this mean people take loans all at once or on a semester/yearly basis?

By semester. Everything can be handled through FinAid except the initial deposit and OSHC (health insurance for students) prepay.

Reactions: 1 user
If any current students could shed some light on the decision they would make (knowing what they know now) I would be super appreciative.

To preface, I have recently been pulled off the waitlist at KCU in Joplin (3 hours ago) and have until 10am tomorrow to decide (less than 24 hours). I have spoken to A LOT of people, but more information/insight can only help. As of now, I am not interested in particularly competitive specialties. My interests right now are Fam Med/ Peds/ EM/ OBGYN. Here are the list of Pros and Cons of each.

University of Queensland
Pros:
-MD program
-95.4% match in 2020
-Global perspective in medicine (get to see a different healthcare system)
-first two years in Brisbane Australia
-clinical rotations completed in the US (New Orleans, LA)
-will potentially be removed from distractions b/c I would be living on my own
-wont have to quit current job (I am scheduled to teach Anatomy and Physiology in the fall as an adjunct professor)
-504 minimum MCAT (student body is not the typical low stat IMG)
-school would start in January (more time to move and save up money)
-don't have to take two different exams, just USMLE
-adventure/experience
-coastal city, a lot to do
-"top 50 universities worldwide"
-have spoken to current UQ students and they have "no regrets"

Cons:
-potentially skewed match rate due to attrition
-may have to live two years without my two dogs (may end up having them travel with me, but its undecided)
-US grads chosen over IMGS for residencies (not savvy on the particulars of how this works)
-$67k/year
-expensive flight if I wanted to travel home during breaks
-students have to secure their own observerships with little (but some) help from UQ
-If I decide I want a more competitive specialty, it will be difficult.
-a lot of unknowns, never been to Australia, never visited the campus

Kansas City University at Joplin
Pros:
-start 6 months sooner
-100% match rate in 2020
-would be closer to family
-low cost of living
-got to visit the campus/city/student body and I love it
-close to Arkansas (partner has family there are there are a lot of camping/hiking opportunities)
-$49k/year (more affordable COA)
-Higher likelihood of matching where I want
-Previously competitive COMLEX scores
-One of the "top" DO programs
-Long history with observable data trends (impressive program/ opportunities)
-cold weather in the winter (i love snow)
-"safer" choice

Cons:
-DO stigma (may regret not going MD)
-Grandma less happy (bless her heart)
-possible increase in the number of distractions (living with partner, dogs, closer to fam, etc.)
-online during my first semester (missed opportunity of in-person cadaver labs)
-would have to move ASAP with little time to pack (lose money on current rental)
-would have to leave the college I work for hanging (very short notice among the already problematic covid situation)

*Obviously each of these talking points is not created equal so simply counting the pros and cons for each does not do me any good.*

If anyone can speak specifically to either of these programs and or give your overall thoughts it would be super helpful!!

I'm applying for USYD at the same time. They also have a good relationship with US medical schools, such as Cornell and Georgetown.
There is an ongoing debate about which school is better. But, in my opinion, it mainly depends on your expectations.
Denied from USYD just as with ANU for not completing enough undergraduate credits at my four year institution vs. my community college. USYD was an $89 application fee. Denied from University of Auckland, probably because I didn't meet some of the course requirements. The pre-med track I took is not once size fits all across the world. Awkwardly during interview Auckland told me they were essentially too lazy to provide the United States government with information about their clinical sites. As a result they cannot provide Title IV Funding to U.S. applicants. So I would have had to accept Sallie Mae loans and the like with no guarantee the rest of my Masters debt would continue to be in deferment. I'm in my 30s. No American kid in his 20s is going to automatically jump on the idea of New Zealand like they would with UQ-Ochsner. It's so far away. I thought I was getting away from the competitive crowd. There are hardly any SDN forums on Auckland and no consistent year-to-year class forums. Being a full fee paying international student has nothing to do with having an upper hand in admission as previously stated on SDN. Admission to medical school cannot be bought. I have several other Aussie apps out and will probably know the answers by late summer/early fall. This applying to medical school **** is ridiculous. I could spend an entire lifetime career-less making a career out of just applying. Otherwise I'm off to Saint George's University Jan. '21 :eek:. This thought also freaks me out because I have heard nothing good across the board about the idea of going there, even from the medical professionals. Perhaps I should take this next year to continue working, hold off on starting class and apply again to Ochsner for 2022. But there is no guarantee of Ochsner in 2022 for me given I feel there is not much I would have changed in my responses in the MMI. I feel completely aimless right now. It's an awful feeling.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If any current students could shed some light on the decision they would make (knowing what they know now) I would be super appreciative.

To preface, I have recently been pulled off the waitlist at KCU in Joplin (3 hours ago) and have until 10am tomorrow to decide (less than 24 hours). I have spoken to A LOT of people, but more information/insight can only help. As of now, I am not interested in particularly competitive specialties. My interests right now are Fam Med/ Peds/ EM/ OBGYN. Here are the list of Pros and Cons of each.

University of Queensland
Pros:
-MD program
-95.4% match in 2020
-Global perspective in medicine (get to see a different healthcare system)
-first two years in Brisbane Australia
-clinical rotations completed in the US (New Orleans, LA)
-will potentially be removed from distractions b/c I would be living on my own
-wont have to quit current job (I am scheduled to teach Anatomy and Physiology in the fall as an adjunct professor)
-504 minimum MCAT (student body is not the typical low stat IMG)
-school would start in January (more time to move and save up money)
-don't have to take two different exams, just USMLE
-adventure/experience
-coastal city, a lot to do
-"top 50 universities worldwide"
-have spoken to current UQ students and they have "no regrets"

Cons:
-potentially skewed match rate due to attrition
-may have to live two years without my two dogs (may end up having them travel with me, but its undecided)
-US grads chosen over IMGS for residencies (not savvy on the particulars of how this works)
-$67k/year
-expensive flight if I wanted to travel home during breaks
-students have to secure their own observerships with little (but some) help from UQ
-If I decide I want a more competitive specialty, it will be difficult.
-a lot of unknowns, never been to Australia, never visited the campus

Kansas City University at Joplin
Pros:
-start 6 months sooner
-100% match rate in 2020
-would be closer to family
-low cost of living
-got to visit the campus/city/student body and I love it
-close to Arkansas (partner has family there are there are a lot of camping/hiking opportunities)
-$49k/year (more affordable COA)
-Higher likelihood of matching where I want
-Previously competitive COMLEX scores
-One of the "top" DO programs
-Long history with observable data trends (impressive program/ opportunities)
-cold weather in the winter (i love snow)
-"safer" choice

Cons:
-DO stigma (may regret not going MD)
-Grandma less happy (bless her heart)
-possible increase in the number of distractions (living with partner, dogs, closer to fam, etc.)
-online during my first semester (missed opportunity of in-person cadaver labs)
-would have to move ASAP with little time to pack (lose money on current rental)
-would have to leave the college I work for hanging (very short notice among the already problematic covid situation)

*Obviously each of these talking points is not created equal so simply counting the pros and cons for each does not do me any good.*

If anyone can speak specifically to either of these programs and or give your overall thoughts it would be super helpful!!

A few thoughts:
- DO stigma really only applies to getting into residency, where the stigma against FMGs is even greater. UQO is unique but you're still classified as an FMG, and for competitive residencies outside of the Ochsner system it's not really clear whether you're better off going to KCU or UQO.
- Some of the things you call "distractions" others would call support systems :p
- $18K per year is substantial, it's like paying another year of tuition.

This is a super hard choice, UQO is a really cool option but staying in the US is safer. KCU has a nice match list too compared to most DO schools. Make sure you give this a lot of thought and good luck with your decision!

A few thoughts:
- DO stigma really only applies to getting into residency, where the stigma against FMGs is even greater. UQO is unique but you're still classified as an FMG, and for competitive residencies outside of the Ochsner system it's not really clear whether you're better off going to KCU or UQO.
- Some of the things you call "distractions" others would call support systems :p
- $18K per year is substantial, it's like paying another year of tuition.

This is a super hard choice, UQO is a really cool option but staying in the US is safer. KCU has a nice match list too compared to most DO schools. Make sure you give this a lot of thought and good luck with your decision!
I call them distractions because I completed my masters program when I got my pups and they were a lot of work. I felt guilty even leaving them for small amounts of time and it made me stay home more and build relationships less. (compared to undergrad where I'd spend 10 hours straight at a coffeeshop studying without a worry). But I totally appreciate you reminding me of the more positive perspective. I love them to death and I probably shouldn't remove them from my life for two years because of that.

To be fair, UQO, from what I've heard, offers a loan forgiveness option if you work at the Ochsner hospital for 5 years after residency. That $400k of total debt means nothing at that point.

I wouldn't say the DO stigma only applies to getting into residency b/c my whole family is very on the fence about me getting a DO degree. However, they are older and I have noticed it is their generation that mostly holds this stigma.

Thanks again for the feedback! Im still deciding, but Im definitely leaning more towards KCU at this point.

I call them distractions because I completed my masters program when I got my pups and they were a lot of work. I felt guilty even leaving them for small amounts of time and it made me stay home more and build relationships less. (compared to undergrad where I'd spend 10 hours straight at a coffeeshop studying without a worry). But I totally appreciate you reminding me of the more positive perspective. I love them to death and I probably shouldn't remove them from my life for two years because of that.

To be fair, UQO, from what I've heard, offers a loan forgiveness option if you work at the Ochsner hospital for 5 years after residency. That $400k of total debt means nothing at that point.

I wouldn't say the DO stigma only applies to getting into residency b/c my whole family is very on the fence about me getting a DO degree. However, they are older and I have noticed it is their generation that mostly holds this stigma.

Thanks again for the feedback! Im still deciding, but Im definitely leaning more towards KCU at this point.
Yeah puppies are hard, it is easier once they get older but it's still work. If you can have help from family or partner that would help a lot. And really I mean being close to your family/partner/friends can help a lot--medical school itself is stressful, doing it in an unfamiliar place away from everyone you know is even more stressful!

Where did you hear about that loan forgiveness program? I couldn't find any information about it.

And yeah having family not understand is kind of a bummer :/ looking for jobs post-residency nobody's going to care, it won't affect where you can work at all. But good luck explaining that to your family...

Yeah puppies are hard, it is easier once they get older but it's still work. If you can have help from family or partner that would help a lot. And really I mean being close to your family/partner/friends can help a lot--medical school itself is stressful, doing it in an unfamiliar place away from everyone you know is even more stressful!

Where did you hear about that loan forgiveness program? I couldn't find any information about it.

And yeah having family not understand is kind of a bummer :/ looking for jobs post-residency nobody's going to care, it won't affect where you can work at all. But good luck explaining that to your family...
I heard it from the non-traditional premed group I'm a part of FB. The said the enrollment team had verified this during a meeting. However, I trust her but have not verified it myself and will be doing so this eve. Either way, there are a lot of loan forgiveness programs out there and UQ would not be my only option in approaching this.

Starting next year, I heard in a webinar that there will be a scholarship (last two years) for those that go into primary care and stay at Ochsner. I don't remember which webinar, sorry :(

That makes sense. Yeah loan forgiveness for working in primary care isn't unique to this program, so it shouldn't be a huge factor, although having it as an option is nice.

You can use Direct Unsubsidized loans for graduate school as well assuming you haven't hit the limit. The limit is relatively low, $138K for both undergraduate and graduate, so it won't cover all of medical school but it can help as the interest rate is lower than the PLUS loans. I think it's best to start out with Direct loans and refinance with a private lender once you have a stable position as an attending.

I ended up choosing KCU over UQ. There are too many unknowns with UQ and with Step 1 going P/F, it will only make it that much more difficult for IMGs. Not to mention KCU has a global health track that can help with my international interests. I can always travel and dont need school in Aus to experience that. Research makes you more competitive, but when IMGs are already at a disadvantage, its hard to really say how much the added benefit of research helps them. Does it increase their chances (but still have them sitting at a disadvantage compared to US MD/DOs?) I am not sure. It is all these unknowns with UQ along with the certainty of KCU performance that ultimately made me decide KCU. UQ is still a great program, don't get me wrong, but I think KCU is a better fit for me.

Reactions: 3 users
% of Class Matched into SpecialtyUQOKCU
EM8.7%9.0%
OB/GYN4.3%5.7%

They're definitely not easy to get into, but looking at the numbers it's not clear that going to one of these schools over the other would help. I think KCU is probably the safer choice. The common wisdom of SDN says that DO>any international school, but honestly UQO has a better match list than a lot of the low-tier DO schools. KCUs definitely not low-tier though!

I guess I'm speaking for my case, which is certainly higher. My private loans are ~8.5% and I can't consolidate at a lower rate due to the amount, and my income is alright but I'm a student so it's nothing fantastic.

Well when you take out Grad PLUS Loans for CoA the extra that doesn't go to tuition gets deposited into your account (for living expenses, etc). If you don't need to use all those funds, those funds could be used elsewhere (paying off higher interest loans than the loan that you're using to pay it off), which, to me, seems the same as "consolidating" private loans into public loans at a lower interest rate (if it applies, the private loans I have left are ~8.5% and so would make sense to do).

I did this in grad school. I took out Grad PLUS loans @ ~6.5% and used the extra to pay off private student loans that I had that were 9.5%. Seemed like a good idea, though I'm making sure I'm not "missing" something. I didn't consider it fraud since those loans were out of forbearance, and so payments had to be made, and so was a living expense. I just made slightly larger payments supplemented by my income to have them paid off within the year.
% of Class Matched into SpecialtyUQOKCU
EM8.7%9.0%
OB/GYN4.3%5.7%

They're definitely not easy to get into, but looking at the numbers it's not clear that going to one of these schools over the other would help. I think KCU is probably the safer choice. The common wisdom of SDN says that DO>any international school, but honestly UQO has a better match list than a lot of the low-tier DO schools. KCUs definitely not low-tier though!

This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison because of selection bias. One program or the other may have more students interested in EM or OB/GYN than the other out of their respective cohort. Look at match lists from year-to-year from any program and you'll notice certain specialties will peak one year over others.

"Returning from overseas travel quarantine arrangements
People arriving in Queensland from overseas will be charged fees for quarantining in government arranged accommodation from 1 July 2020."

So... should we all be prepared to pay ~2k to be quarantined?

Link to AUS Gov website

• Hmm
"Returning from overseas travel quarantine arrangements
People arriving in Queensland from overseas will be charged fees for quarantining in government arranged accommodation from 1 July 2020."

So... should we all be prepared to pay ~2k to be quarantined?

Link to AUS Gov website
Oh wow,

Hotel room, including linen/cleaning fee$135 x 14 nights$1,890
Meals$65 x 14 days$910
Fee Payable$2,8000

2,800 AUD is barely less than 2k USD, and there is no option to arrange our own accommodation

You cannot arrange to self-quarantine at home or another pre-booked accommodation. This is due to the significant health risk that cannot be appropriately managed at other residences or accommodation providers. The risk of quarantine not being strictly followed and the ability for people to mix more easily in the community creates an unacceptable risk of COVID-19 transmission in the community.

Being confined for two weeks will really throw a wrench in setting up housing, banking, transportation, etc. Have you reached out to UQ to see how they intend to assist the 2021 cohort?

• Hmm
Question on timeline once CoE comes: Should we apply for financial aid (Direct loans from US govt) or apply for student visa first?

Specifically for this part of the Visa application, do we need to have our financial aid figured out first?
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 1.23.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Question on timeline once CoE comes: Should we apply for financial aid (Direct loans from US govt) or apply for student visa first?

Specifically for this part of the Visa application, do we need to have our financial aid figured out first?View attachment 311217
I think we apply for the visa first right? Since in a webinar they said we dont need to fill out FAFSA until september.

Has anyone received an interview invitation recently? Transcripts received on June 13th, with a july 31st MCAT test date.

Has anyone received an interview invitation recently? Transcripts received on June 13th, with a july 31st MCAT test date.
Mine were received on the 19th, I haven't heard anything either.

They sent it to me in the acceptance email. I'm surprised they didn't send it to you all

Oh wait are you a current student? or incoming? I got a "Doctor of Medicine 2021 Welcome Pack" but it doesn't say its from OMSA and it doesn't include a lot of the information from the OMSA pack

Oh wait are you a current student? or incoming? I got a "Doctor of Medicine 2021 Welcome Pack" but it doesn't say its from OMSA and it doesn't include a lot of the information from the OMSA pack
Incoming. I got the uncon. offer, welcome packet, and omsa guide at the same time, so idk

Super weird, I only got the uncon. offer and welcome packet. Hmm.. Did anyone else not get the OMSA guide?

I think we apply for the visa first right? Since in a webinar they said we dont need to fill out FAFSA until september.

Confused on how to fill out the Funding for Stay if we have yet to apply for FAFSA though?

Confused on how to fill out the Funding for Stay if we have yet to apply for FAFSA though?
I found it weird too. I pretty much just filled in the prompts with info that relates to fafsa. For example, foreign government loans, US Department of Education, Federal Student Aid, and then I used the US dept of Ed. phone numbers and address.

How do people anticipate the p/f change of usmle affecting IMGs. Still grappling with the DO vs UQ ochsner decision.

I found it weird too. I pretty much just filled in the prompts with info that relates to fafsa. For example, foreign government loans, US Department of Education, Federal Student Aid, and then I used the US dept of Ed. phone numbers and address.
Thanks! The fee was larger than anticipated, but I assume they accept most applications. Crossing fingers

Just got an interview, my transcripts arrived a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: 4 users
How do people anticipate the p/f change of usmle affecting IMGs. Still grappling with the DO vs UQ ochsner decision.

I think the general consensus is DO>UQ-O, as DO is the safer route.

Word...
Edit: There doesn't seem to be a definite structure in providing a solution. I see it varies with the nature or complexity of each scenario. It can be a more lengthy process for a more complex scenario, for instance.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to backtrack really far but someone mentioned the Course Grinder MMI videos for practice. I'm going through them now and just about done in preparation for interview at a different Aussie university. When answering the MMI questions, do you provide all possible solutions to the interviewer? I'm calling them 'solutions' for sake of understanding but really there is only one solution to pick and all others are essentially 'responses'. Do you verbalize all of the questions you would ask about the scenario in preparing the solutions? Do you provide the proper as well as non proper solutions and choose the proper one (re-stating it and telling the interviewer) to the interviewer? Or due to time constraint do you simply just provide the proper (best) answer only? With multiple questions asked about each prompt (other uni's do it this way too), I wonder if time would be an issue. I'm basically just asking about the structure of MMI applicant responses as a whole. Do you really break it down step by step to show your thought process like the lecturer did? If so, how I approached the MMI was fairly random in nature compared this structured outline. Perhaps that's where I got tripped up and the reason why I failed to find the 'best' responses I did not even think of. Balance patient autonomy and self interest seems to be the name of the game.
Thanks
Well the whole point of the MMI is really for the interviewer to see how you think and to make sure you think through varying options. So, the best thing to do would be to mention different point of views, then mention which option you think is best and why. If you can do that in an organized manner, you should be able to finish in time (although each MMI varies in time, so prepare with their time constraints)