UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the acceptance rate for UQ-Ochsner? Or at least how many applicants they receive per year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! I was conditionally accepted in July and just got my MCAT score back and I am committing to UQ! I am trying to submit my deposit and I was wondering if it okay to send through Western Union? I can't go into my bank right now so I can't send it directly. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I know there isn't much info you guys are able to say about the interview and I read this thread about tips to prepare but is this interview mainly like MMI style "ethics" questions a la Casper or are they going to be asking me more personal questions like "why I want to pursue medicine" etc.? Or a mix? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there isn't much info you guys are able to say about the interview and I read this thread about tips to prepare but is this interview mainly like MMI style "ethics" questions a la Casper or are they going to be asking me more personal questions like "why I want to pursue medicine" etc.? Or a mix? Thanks so much!
I hate to potentially be the subject of discipline, but... [I see no reason why the following written statements are an unfair giveway for the MMI. If you feel they are, just say so and I'll delete it]. the scenarios intertwine questions about your understanding of healthcare. There are a few questions per scenario asked. There are a few ethics questions but not all of them are ethics. I wasn't asked why I want to become a physician. Man, it is really tempting to try and reach out/kindly help and give more topics to prepare for but doing so would be a violation. Just go in there fully rested, prepared via practice and give it your best! Good luck to yah! I spoke to Intl Admissions following my rejection and stated I thought I was supposed to treat this MMI like CASPer and the person I spoke to seemed to understand what I meant right away. Perhaps because treating it like CASPer is a bad idea and/or other students have mentioned this as well. I have no idea. I took CASPer twice as I applied to the U.S. allopathic schools twice to no avail.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! I was conditionally accepted in July and just got my MCAT score back and I am committing to UQ! I am trying to submit my deposit and I was wondering if it okay to send through Western Union? I can't go into my bank right now so I can't send it directly. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
I wondered the same thing good that you do your research and protect yourself/be safe. I can say I used Western Union Global Pay to pay my Flinders University app fee and Wells Fargo credit card processed it properly. I already underwent my Flinders interview and all is good.

Don't worry about responses so much especially because you can't read body language well when the camera cuts off most of the interviewers' bodies.

The Bemo question list is good. Regardless of where you ZooMMI, it's always good to consider alternative viewpoints without being promoted.

Honestly, responding through more than a dozen or so Bemo questions is prolly overkill but do practice with some them and record yourself discussing your thoughts. My impression is that this MMI is there to figure out whether you're a decent human being and not going to say something callous or ridiculous like, "pfft, duh, healthcare is absolutely a luxury reserved for those who can bankroll my life" or something.

Best of luck!
"...it's always good to consider alternative viewpoints without being promoted."
-Yea, this is critical to doing well.
"My impression is that this MMI is there to figure out whether you're a decent human being and not going to say something callous or ridiculous like, "pfft, duh, healthcare is absolutely a luxury reserved for those who can bankroll my life" or something."
-True, but I still was rejected despite never entering such territory with my responses. My responses were quite the opposite. I interviewed with Griffith and they had an MMI style interview. I tried to approach it with the Course Grinder approach and was told right away not to overthink it by the interviewer. I was told to simply relax and answer the questions. In fact, I answered the questions the way I did with UQ-Ochsner - by actually providing what I felt was the right answer but also morally proper. I excluded a mathematical approach and was accepted. So this is a good school and I feel it is very important the fit between student and uni has to go both ways. I'm really feeling that if a school rejects you, that school is not a good fit for you and trying to still get accepted may be the wrong choice. Perhaps instead of saying "F 'em" go and find another good school that is a good fit. The long time SDN members experienced with Australian schools have stated that school ranking does not matter. What does matter is the ability to attain an internship or U.S. residency. If UQ-Ochsner is absolutely looking for that structured approach to the MMI, then wow, what a difference in MMI interview between two Aussie uni's. However, the Griffith "MMI" was a scenarios-based interview in which the interviewer engaged in a two-way conversation with me. I found I liked the positive experience it provided. This is how I picked the Univ. of Florida over a hidden ivy league school for my grad program. The research program was much stronger and the fit felt right. The aforementioned statements are why I cringe a bit at the idea of interviewing for UQ-Ochsner 2022 intake. Also, who really knows what effect SARS-CoV-2 is going to have on entry to any medical school worldwide? It's possible any of our dreams are going to be put on hold or delayed. This reminds me of the U.S. recession back in '07-'09.

See my attached .docx documents comparing the internal medicine residences between Atlantic Bridge, UQ-Ochsner and Saint George's University. With the exception of SGU the other school lists are comprehensive for the most part, but not entirely complete according to the schools. I threw ID medicine in there since that is my current interest. So SGU has 447 different U.S. residencies and UQ-Ochsner has just 52 in comparison? Wha? The SGU residencies don't look so bad. I really don't understand the whole "I wouldn't touch Carribean schools with a 10 foot pole" horror stories when you look at some of the desirable residencies they offer. I personally don't care about the tropics, but eh.

Attachments

• AB pg. 1.jpg
    AB pg. 1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 90
  • AB pg. 2.jpg
    AB pg. 2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Residency List for UQ-Ochsner_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0001.jpg
    Residency List for UQ-Ochsner_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0001.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Residency List for UQ-Ochsner_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0002.jpg
    Residency List for UQ-Ochsner_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0002.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0001.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0001.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 69
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0002.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0002.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0003.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0003.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0004.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0004.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0005.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0005.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
hey! i'm a current US MD/DO applicant. recently started looking into this school as a possibility in case i don't receive any IIs/acceptances this cycle.

could any of y'all clarify the application timeline? i know classes begin in February, so if i were to apply for Feb '22, when would the application open for that term?
I have read many times over about applicants not receiving secondaries from U.S. schools and I find that peculiar. I received a secondary from nearly every school during each cycle. Perhaps that is a hurdle to overcome in itself. What I didn't get though was interviews. I really strongly feel the U.S. is virtually impossible and I won't even fill out my 2020 AMCAS app this year. We need more programs like UQ-Ochsner as obviously it's popular and a legit way of actually getting into a good program. I was wondering when the app opens too but UQ-Och just updated their site recently stating the Feb. 2022 apps open Nov. 2020. You'll have to wait until spring 2021 to interview though.
SGU residencies, cont. - Add to my last post, to complete it:

Attachments

• Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0006.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0006.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 54
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0007.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0007.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0008.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0008.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0009.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0009.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 51
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0010.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0010.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0011.jpg
    Residency List for SGU_Internal Medicine or Infectious Disease_0011.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I think the biggest difference between a Caribbean school like SGU and UQO is the attrition rate. The number of students entering a school like SGU is significantly different from the number of students graduating.

Also SGU is a much larger school than UQO so comparing # of matches isn't really a fair comparison.

I think SGU or similar schools could be a good option for someone who is truly capable of excelling, especially with limited support, but who for whatever reason has an academic past that makes getting into US medical school impossible. I would still see those schools as a last resort.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the biggest difference between a Caribbean school like SGU and UQO is the attrition rate. The number of students entering a school like SGU is significantly different from the number of students graduating.

Also SGU is a much larger school than UQO so comparing # of matches isn't really a fair comparison.

I think SGU or similar schools could be a good option for someone who is truly capable of excelling, especially with limited support, but who for whatever reason has an academic past that makes getting into US medical school impossible. I would still see those schools as a last resort.
Yup, this guy visited, interviewed students/staff and did more than his fair share of homework. It's much, much more than 'students = more matches.' It's bad and likely to be worse with their waiving the MCAT, which iirc is a requirement for federal student loans.

See my attached .docx documents comparing the internal medicine residences between Atlantic Bridge, UQ-Ochsner and Saint George's University. With the exception of SGU the other school lists are comprehensive for the most part, but not entirely complete according to the schools. I threw ID medicine in there since that is my current interest. So SGU has 447 different U.S. residencies and UQ-Ochsner has just 52 in comparison? Wha? The SGU residencies don't look so bad. I really don't understand the whole "I wouldn't touch Carribean schools with a 10 foot pole" horror stories when you look at some of the desirable residencies they offer. I personally don't care about the tropics, but eh.
That's impressive data, but SGU is an irresponsibly gargantuan school. It makes sense they have more different residency placements, but you're not comparing real attrition rates, 4-year graduation rates and USMLE performance. Caribbean schools are predatory in nature and truly the last resort for people who are willing and resilient enough to fight the uphill battle to not just be a physician with the understanding that they will likely match in the less desirable specialties/locations. This is only for the ones that 'make it' and because the numbers are so obscured, one can never really know the actual match rates.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah I agree with you I still felt that predatory for-profit stance and I think any turn-offs like that would make one unhappy about choosing such as school. I can go on and on about the negatives I have complied. Anyway, I'll quit posting about other schools. I think it's good to compare the schools here though just a bit. I also don't mean to sound like a whiner over my own struggles but y'all have certainly helped me to better understand it all. @ Canquito I see you've been an SDN member for some time and worked hard at it before being accepted to UQ.
Err yea I gotta watch those vids and then my reply post will be complete lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I agree with you I still felt that predatory for-profit stance and I think any turn-offs like that would make one unhappy about choosing such as school. I can go on and on about the negatives I have complied. Anyway, I'll quit posting about other schools. I think it's good to compare the schools here though just a bit. I also don't mean to sound like a whiner over my own struggles but y'all have certainly helped me to better understand it all. @ Canquito I see you've been an SDN member for some time and worked hard at it before being accepted to UQ.
Err yea I gotta watch those vids and then my reply post will be complete lol
I think many of us are here because we've struggled with admissions to US schools for whatever reason! UQO has certainly become more competitive over the last few years and I think will become more competitive as it develops a proven track record and increases in popularity.

The other Australian schools are still fairly non-competitive for US/international students, and I would strongly prefer them over Caribbean schools. Australian schools have a primary mandate to train Australian students to become doctors in Australia. International students provide higher tuition payments in exchange for lower admissions standards, but still have access to high-quality education and all of the resources that come with major research institutions. Caribbean schools are different insofar as they primarily exist to give US students a second chance to become a doctor--they are driven purely by profit, not by any need to produce good doctors.

You mentioned you applied to Flinders and had an interview, did you apply anywhere else? Flinders got back to me in less than a week so I would expect you to hear something soon.

Hi all, I'm new here but just did my online MMI yesterday. Not really sure how I did - really floundered for a couple but hopefully it wasn't as bad as I thought.
One question I have for those who did their virtual MMI's - did the Zoom call end immediately after time was up for the last station? Like, was there no return to the breakout room for a formal conclusion? In the last station I was at, the call was ended pretty much as soon as the evaluator said that the response period was over. I'm just hoping I didn't miss anything at the end.

Hi all, I'm new here but just did my online MMI yesterday. Not really sure how I did - really floundered for a couple but hopefully it wasn't as bad as I thought.
One question I have for those who did their virtual MMI's - did the Zoom call end immediately after time was up for the last station? Like, was there no return to the breakout room for a formal conclusion? In the last station I was at, the call was ended pretty much as soon as the evaluator said that the response period was over. I'm just hoping I didn't miss anything at the end.
I was on that one too, and yeah they moved the station computer to the room instead of you! You didn't miss anything, she just basically said thanks and goodbye and then everyone left.

Members don't see this ad :)
The same thing happened to me. I was wondering. Good to know it wasn't just mine. Definitely an Interesting interview.

@subparman @hebrewhomie It looks like you two are applying for the 2020-2021 US MD/DO cycle in addition to UQO. We're probably going to hear back from UQO in about 3 weeks based on what others have said, or around Sept 10, and I think there's another 3 weeks to accept, so around October 1. A lot of interview invitations will have gone out by then, but a good number go out in October/November and even as late as February/March. If you get into UQO, how are you going to decide whether to accept or to wait it out for a US school?

I think many of us are here because we've struggled with admissions to US schools for whatever reason! UQO has certainly become more competitive over the last few years and I think will become more competitive as it develops a proven track record and increases in popularity.

The other Australian schools are still fairly non-competitive for US/international students, and I would strongly prefer them over Caribbean schools. Australian schools have a primary mandate to train Australian students to become doctors in Australia. International students provide higher tuition payments in exchange for lower admissions standards, but still have access to high-quality education and all of the resources that come with major research institutions. Caribbean schools are different insofar as they primarily exist to give US students a second chance to become a doctor--they are driven purely by profit, not by any need to produce good doctors.

You mentioned you applied to Flinders and had an interview, did you apply anywhere else? Flinders got back to me in less than a week so I would expect you to hear something soon.
Thanks for informing me about how this app process if flowing :) Yea I completely agree, and that's fine we all deserve a chance to pursue the career we would like to but certainly there are a lot of international schools out there. I was considering University of Tartu, haha. UQ-Ochs is adding "integrative cell & tissue biology" as well as system physiology as pre-reqs for 2022 admission and beyond. This applies to even those conditionally admitted. They are also recommending biostatistics and anatomy. So these are good courses to have taken regardless but it is getting harder to get in. They'll also lowering the class size to 90. From past SDN posts years ago people were already talking about it's getting harder to get in. And as they said UQ-Ochs can afford to be more picky choosy. So you were accepted to Flinders and UQ-Ochs? Which school are you wanting to attend?
Oh wow yea I interviewed with Flinders on 8-17 PDT so I guess I'll hear from them by 8-24. Flinders is a little odd though in the fact that I emailed them about something I won't mention here and never heard back. I also inquired as to whether I could send in a few letters of rec and a few brief personal statements following the interview. I did not hear back about this either. Perhaps I'll just send them anyway lol. Griffith would message me back right away. Who knows, they are probably just really busy or whatever else. What I liked about Flinders is how organized and well explained the application process was. One thing that does worry me about what people have said in the past about Flinders is ability to attain an internship. This seems to be an issue though anywhere in Au as intl applicant. Perhaps it's no worse at Flinders than at Griffith, for instance.
So I applied to Aussie schools that don't require the UCAT or ISAT exams. I just don't want any more heavy studying or expenses at this time. This ended up being Macquarie (withdrawn prior to assessment), James Cook (withdrawn prior to confirmed interview), Deakin (denied pre-interview), ANU (denied pre-interview), Griffith (accepted), Univ. of Sydney (denied for not meeting coursework credit allocation pre-req) and Univ. of Auckland (denied post interview). Univ. of Notre Dame and Univ. of Wollongong have these portfolios you have to fill out to apply. I just didn't do that. It's really tempting to take the entrance exams so I can apply to those Go8 schools. They're good schools in Australia's top cities. Univ. of Melbourne told me they are removing pre-reqs for applicants in 2022 and beyond:claps: !

Last edited:
@Wolvvs That's a great question. Tbh i'm really not sure. I'm going to have to evaluate how many IIs I have at that point to see where my best chances lie. It's definitely a difficult situation to be put in though.

Yea I completely agree, and that's fine we all deserve a chance to pursue the career we would like to but certainly there are a lot of international schools out there. UQ-Ochs is adding "integrative cell & tissue biology" as well as system physiology as pre-reqs for 2022 admission and beyond. They are also recommending biostatistics and anatomy. So these are good courses to have taken regardless but it is getting harder to get in. They'll also lowering the class size to 90.
Oh wow yea I interviewed with Flinder on 8-17 PDT so I guess I'll hear from them by 8-24. Flinders is a little odd though in the fact that I emailed them about something I won't mention here and never heard back. I also inquired as to whether I could send in a few letters of rec and a few brief personal statements following the interview. I did not hear back about this either. Griffith would message me back right away. Who knows, they are probably just really busy or whatever else. What I liked about Flinders is how organized and well explained the application process was. So I applied to Aussie schools that don't require the UCAT or ISAT exams. I just don't want any more heavy studying or expenses at this time. This ended up being Macquarie (withdrawn prior to assessment), James Cook (withdrawn prior to confirmed interview), Deakin (denied), ANU (denied), Griffith (accepted), Univ. of Sydney (denied for not meeting coursework credit allocation pre-req) and Univ. of Auckland (denied post interview). Univ. of Notre Dame and Univ. of Wollongong have these portfolios you have to fill out to apply. I just didn't do that. It's really tempting to take the entrance exams so I can apply to those Go8 schools. They're good schools in Australia's top cities. Univ. of Melbourne told me they are removing pre-reqs for applicants in 2022 and beyond:claps: !
Yeah the Griffith dean of medicine is incredibly responsive. It's good to have at least one acceptance. If I were you, I would go with Flinders if you get in (and can afford the crazy deposit) since it sounds like you would prefer to be in a city, and Griffith is an excellent backup option as they're not too far away from Brisbane. They're both good programs, and I don't think it's worth the extra year to try to get into a more prestigious school as the difference will likely be minimal if you want to match back to the US.

One thing: if you haven't already, I would strongly recommend reaching out to Deakin for feedback. They told me during my interview that they love reapplicants and are very happy to give feedback on areas for improvement. Even if you don't want to reapply there, it might be useful to find out why you didn't get accepted and work on it for the future, as medical school interviews are far from the last interview you'll need to do!

Yeah the Griffith dean of medicine is incredibly responsive. It's good to have at least one acceptance. If I were you, I would go with Flinders if you get in (and can afford the crazy deposit) since it sounds like you would prefer to be in a city, and Griffith is an excellent backup option as they're not too far away from Brisbane. They're both good programs, and I don't think it's worth the extra year to try to get into a more prestigious school as the difference will likely be minimal if you want to match back to the US.

One thing: if you haven't already, I would strongly recommend reaching out to Deakin for feedback. They told me during my interview that they love reapplicants and are very happy to give feedback on areas for improvement. Even if you don't want to reapply there, it might be useful to find out why you didn't get accepted and work on it for the future, as medical school interviews are far from the last interview you'll need to do!
The deposit fee for Griffith was $10,000.00 AUD not including $3060.00 AUD OSHC but I explained how my personal financial situation was a bit difficult at the time (especially with a virus on the loose) and they lowered it to $500.00 AUD + OSHC. That doesn't mean the remaining $9,500.00 AUD was still not due later on. Estimated total tuition was $276,000.00 AUD. Don't forget Visa, flight, etc. etc. haha! Who has a quarter of a million USD in the bank, ha!

It helps to bounce ideas and hear your recommendations because I'll admit I'm quite confused right now. I agree with the idea of committing to studying vs. waiting. Yes, matching back to the U.S. is still in my mind. In regard to Deakin, I completely agree. I will do that! :) It is has been very helpful for me to learn as much as I can about how I present to others in this application process. International schools have provided me more feedback.
When I took the Univ. of Florida's introvert/extrovert test when applying to med school there the results showed more introverted. I talked about myself in this forum a few pages back. I don't mean to relate this to medicine in my post here as I know I can do well. I mention this in relation to the bigger cities in Australia. I definitely won't be bummed out if I can't study in Brisbane, etc. I live in the PNW United States so I'm quite used to the seasons and clouds. My point is that I'm content with wherever I'm at as long as I can study with a good group of class mates. People have posted and complained about things to do in Adelaide and how Flinders is overshadowed by Univ. of Adelaide. These type of things are not deal breakers for me. Perhaps I'll get to the see the Santos Tour Down Under. I never go to Adelaide, I'll never get to know Adelaide. I certainly wish to visit Melbourne and Perth at some point in the future no matter what I'm doing at the time. One of the first presentations I listened to in grad studies was by Dr. Barry Marshall from UWA.

Last edited:
University of Adelaide only offers a 6 year MBBS, which is not a good choice for US students who already have a Bachelors (IMO anyway). Flinders is definitely more on the south end of the city whereas Adelaide is in the middle but there are plenty of options to get around, and I've heard it's an excellent city to live in. Gold Coast is smaller but it's still decently sized and not too far away from Brisbane. I think either place would be a good place to live. Also, Flinders and Griffith both are relatively small compared to schools like UQ and Sydney, meaning there's much more personal attention. Flinders is probably the better name for matching to the US, but I doubt that will make a huge difference.

Based on what others have said, I think there will be time to travel within Australia! There will be plenty of hard work but if you're focused there will also be a good amount of time to relax and travel.

@Wolvvs That's a great question. Tbh i'm really not sure. I'm going to have to evaluate how many IIs I have at that point to see where my best chances lie. It's definitely a difficult situation to be put in though.

That sounds like a good plan, keep us up to date :)

I agree with your comment about the 6 year MBBS. That's 2 whole extra years essentially wasted. One may think it's worth the extra 2 years if they can get into a good program in the first place but I personally am against the idea now more than initially. Yep, study/relax balance is a critical factor in success.

Last edited:
Er dars a cyclone comin watch out Ochsner people. Program staff said UQ-Ochsner students are advised on safety protocols but that they are non-essential personnel. With NOLA you're getting to be under threat of hurricanes.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
Are we suppose to wait until later to fill out FAFSA or can we do it now even though the cost of attendance hasn't been finalized?

I already filled out the FAFSA for 2020-2021 because I was applying to US schools, so I submitted the financial aid form. They said they wouldn't be able to provide any information until October as they're still working on finalizing costs for next year. So I don't think there's any particular rush to get the FAFSA filled out, but if there's time it won't hurt to take care of it now.

• Love
For those who applied for the VISA, mind sharing how you answered the "Funding for Stay" the 15/25 section?

It asks: "Do all applicants in this application confirm that they each have access to sufficient funds to support themselves for the total period of stay in Australia and understand that further evidence of funds may also be requested?"

I'm planning on taking out US Federal Student Loans and have my SAR at hand. When I select the "Government Scholarship/Financial Support" box, I am unsure of what contact information to fill in the bottom of the form. Likewise, I am not sure if I am supposed to just say "I have been approved for US Federal Student Loans" if I select the "Other" box. I checked the OMSA Brisbane Guide and it's not specific. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Edit: Nvm, I figured it out. I selected "Other" and said I will support myself with personal funds and US Federal Loans during my stay in Australia and made mention of this in my Genuine Temporary Entrant statement. Also the student visa (subclass 500) sets you back almost half a grand. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know about when we should hear back about 8/20 interviews?
Looks like most other interview groups have heard back the Monday of the third week after the interview. For us that would have been yesterday, but it was a holiday so hopefully today? But at least one group heard back later in the week, so who knows...

Looks like most other interview groups have heard back the Monday of the third week after the interview. For us that would have been yesterday, but it was a holiday so hopefully today? But at least one group heard back later in the week, so who knows...

Good deal. Best of luck to you!

• Love
Does anyone know if we are able to work as a part-time research assistant in UQ?

I saw there were some restrictions on the research opportunity, even voluntary. (Must be the projects listed).

Does anyone know if we are able to work as a part-time research assistant in UQ?

I saw there were some restrictions on the research opportunity, even voluntary. (Must be the projects listed).
UQ Ochsner Research Hub
This document is found in the page as well : Research FAQ
From the tone of these, the MD degree is meant to be first, second and third priority for students. Research time appears to be a voluntary EC unless enrolled in a dual-degree track. The FAQ sheet states that students must register prior to involvement in research and a Summer Research Scholarship is available.

There's also this link from OMSA: OMSA Student Research Page

You will be time limited your first two years with step study on top of regular study. I would suggest waiting until your third year if you are interested in getting involved with research.

Quick question - are Ochsner students able to apply to Australian internships after graduation?

According to one of their webinars a few students per year do choose to stay in Australia after graduating. Not sure if there are extra steps associated with that though.

Quick question - are Ochsner students able to apply to Australian internships after graduation?
From what I've heard from talking to previous students and reading previous threads, yes.

However, it's progressively becoming harder since there are now more medical graduates and we would be pretty low priority. In addition, I have heard from some people that there are some hospitals that don't like NAs since they've been burned by them in the past (ie. Applying for internship as a backup and getting it and then deciding to go back to the us after they match, making it harder for the hospitals to find last minute replacements), so just keep in mind you might have to work against that stigma in some places. Also it seems that the internship process is a lot more subjective in ozland and will depend on connections. Overall possible and many students that I've talked to at uq o have stated that the majority of people they know that wanted it, got it (take that how you will).

Also you should note that if you're going to specialize, it will most likely take you a while to get into a residency as they are pretty competitive. You may most likely end up at a community hospital if not a rural hospital for internship also. Btw, earlier this thread in the match list, they also showed the Australian internship hospitals (I think there was like 7-8 people)

Having all that said, there are no stats to show your chances and everything I've said are based on personal accounts, so if anyone has any other info, feel free to add or correct me.

Tldr: yes, with some complications as expected.

Reactions: 3 users
From what I've heard from talking to previous students and reading previous threads, yes.

However, it's progressively becoming harder since there are now more medical graduates and we would be pretty low priority. In addition, I have heard from some people that there are some hospitals that don't like NAs since they've been burned by them in the past (ie. Applying for internship as a backup and getting it and then deciding to go back to the us after they match, making it harder for the hospitals to find last minute replacements), so just keep in mind you might have to work against that stigma in some places. Also it seems that the internship process is a lot more subjective in ozland and will depend on connections. Overall possible and many students that I've talked to at uq o have stated that the majority of people they know that wanted it, got it (take that how you will).

Also you should note that if you're going to specialize, it will most likely take you a while to get into a residency as they are pretty competitive. You may most likely end up at a community hospital if not a rural hospital for internship also. Btw, earlier this thread in the match list, they also showed the Australian internship hospitals (I think there was like 7-8 people)

Having all that said, there are no stats to show your chances and everything I've said are based on personal accounts, so if anyone has any other info, feel free to add or correct me.

Tldr: yes, with some complications as expected.

Are you studying in one of these Australian schools currently?

Are you studying in one of these Australian schools currently?
Nope. Sorry, I should clarify, I'm one of you guys that just got accepted for 2021, but my information is based off of a couple of people in the uq o program, a friend in usyd , some older posts on sdn, and a look into oz + kiwi internship + residency processes. I was curious

Nope. Sorry, I should clarify, I'm one of you guys that just got accepted for 2021, but my information is based off of a couple of people in the uq o program, a friend in usyd , some older posts on sdn, and a look into oz + kiwi internship + residency processes. I was curious

Welcome to the gang then ;)

• Care
I'd be great to know the official acceptance rates of all IMG programs out there. Thus helpful to decide whether to apply or not.

I haven't received the result after interviewing on 8/20, but I heard the admissions committee is doing their best to get decisions out by the end of the week. Hopefully we hear back tomorrow, good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a waitlisted email.... kind of bummed but also okay because i've gotten some MD interviews lined up so everything happens for a reason. Do you think I can ask for interview feedback or something along those lines?

Just got a waitlisted email.... kind of bummed but also okay because i've gotten some MD interviews lined up so everything happens for a reason. Do you think I can ask for interview feedback or something along those lines?

If u dont mind asking, what was ur stats?

@Iamground I don't mind. 3.6/516. I don't think I bombed the interview by any means so I am a bit confused...

I'm sorry to hear that :(, but it's most likely not over. You can ask for feedback (in fact I recommend it, it shows interest), just be aware they might not give you much information beyond what their criteria is. However to give you closure, I'll provide my opinion. It honestly might just be that they're being more selective now since their class is filling up. You may get accepted later as people drop to go to US schools. However, if you already have other interviews, I would focus on those (especially if they're usmd)

Edit: just saw your stats they may also be skeptical because your stats are so high lol. Most people would stay in the US. Again, I'm just making assumptions

Waitlisted here as well. I wonder if they ran out of spaces? I guess this means the waiting continues...

• Sad
Yikes, it seems like we're the first group of people to be reporting waitlists. I'm kind of frustrated because I had originally been invited to interview on the June 18th date but I didn't see the interview invite email in time (I probably saw it like 2 hours after it was sent) and when I went to go sign up for an interview, all spots were filled and I was told I had to wait until August lol. Always check your email guys...

Regardless though I think they only have one more round of interviews in September, and I would think with the conditional invites due to missing MCAT as well as people starting to get acceptances to US schools which they would likely take over a foreign school, some slots might open up so all might not be lost. Just my two cents...