UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well the whole point of the MMI is really for the interviewer to see how you think and to make sure you think through varying options. So, the best thing to do would be to mention different point of views, then mention which option you think is best and why. If you can do that in an organized manner, you should be able to finish in time (although each MMI varies in time, so prepare with their time constraints)
What I wrote really was just a drawn out load of stupidness. Briefly stated I believe I gave my natural reactions to each scenario without providing a structured approach demonstrating my thought process in order to reach the best solution.
I've been reading the things posted about COVID and trying to take care of the admissions checklist. All the best to you all
Screenshot_2020-07-05 emoji excellent hands - Google Search(1).png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! :D
Ahh me too!! I was suppose to take it June 20th but I'm in Florida so AAMC cancelled and rescheduled me twice! Good luck on the MCAT .

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Congrats!! :D
Ahh me too!! I was suppose to take it June 20th but I'm in Florida so AAMC cancelled and rescheduled me twice! Good luck on the MCAT .
I am really happy for both you two those posts made my day. :)I lost my iPhone after a hike I had my practice exam scores and the sources I used listed in the Notes. My scores were similar to the real thing but as others have said the real score was a bit higher. From my best recall I used Next Step, Kaplan, TPR, Altius free half-length, AAMC practice exams (free via FAP) and other materials. Basically all legit free materials via a complete Google search and a few purchased practice exams. No need to spend a fortune. I found the AAMC sponsored Khan Academy videos to be extremely helpful: Some of the MCAT questions were similar if not the same - at least the concepts were. Watch every single video x2 speed. I skipped the chemistry and physics vids since I took that in undergrad but going over them again could raise your score a point or two.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I am really happy for both you two those posts made my day. :)I lost my iPhone after a hike I had my practice exam scores and the sources I used listed in the Notes. My scores were similar to the real thing but as others have said the real score was a bit higher. From my best recall I used Next Step, Kaplan, TPR, Altius free half-length, AAMC practice exams (free via FAP) and other materials. Basically all legit free materials via a complete Google search and a few purchased practice exams. No need to spend a fortune. I found the AAMC sponsored Khan Academy videos to be extremely helpful: Some of the MCAT questions were similar if not the same - at least the concepts were. Watch every single video x2 speed. I skipped the chemistry and physics vids since I took that in undergrad but going over them again could raise your score a point or two.

Aww thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I'm using the AAMC material and Altius tests and will look at the Khan Academy videos. Best of luck to you in your next MMI interview :giggle:

Reactions: 1 users
Aww thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I'm using the AAMC material and Altius tests and will look at the Khan Academy videos. Best of luck to you in your next MMI interview :giggle:
You're most welcome, best to you as well. Maybe I will try again for Ochsner 2022 I think the app reopens in Nov.? This was only my first MMI other than CASPer in a sense. If I failed twice then that would be a problem, certainly. I am questioning whether I put all on the line another year for a possible reject again. Kind of a gamble at my age. I just don't feel after all the hard work I have put in that selling myself to the Caribbean boat sub 500 MCAT acceptance average is a good idea. No offenses. The MCAT alone is an example of effort. What would you do? I'll shut up with my 'complaining' lol after this post. I still have Flinders (eh, maybe), Macquarie, James Cook and my MMI with Griffith on 7-8-20. All the schools that don't require the ISAT. Someone posted previously in SDN that medical education in Australia is not like that in the United States such that you're going to get the same quality education no matter where you attend in Australia and rankings are not really important. I dunno... I'm really interested in research and overseas underserved opportunities in ID medicine. I keep reminding myself how I chose Univ. of Florida for grad edu over a much higher ranked university simply because the research program was much stronger/funded. I was super happy at UF I literally had the time of life lol.

You're most welcome, best to you as well. Maybe I will try again for Ochsner 2022 I think the app reopens in Nov.? This was only my first MMI other than CASPer in a sense. If I failed twice then that would be a problem, certainly. I am questioning whether I put all on the line another year for a possible reject again. Kind of a gamble at my age. I just don't feel after all the hard work I have put in that selling myself to the Caribbean boat sub 500 MCAT acceptance average is a good idea. No offenses. The MCAT alone is an example of effort. What would you do? I'll shut up with my 'complaining' lol after this post. I still have Flinders (eh, maybe), Macquarie, James Cook and my MMI with Griffith on 7-8-20. All the schools that don't require the ISAT. Someone posted previously in SDN that medical education in Australia is not like that in the United States such that you're going to get the same quality education no matter where you attend in Australia and rankings are not really important. I dunno... I'm really interested in research and overseas underserved opportunities in ID medicine. I keep reminding myself how I chose Univ. of Florida for grad edu over a much higher ranked university simply because the research program was much stronger/funded. I was super happy at UF I literally had the time of life lol.

Did you already apply to those schools and are waiting to hear back? In my personal opinion, I don't think the Caribbean schools are all that bad. Everyone has a different path and if at the end you become a doctor and are able to help patients then that's all that really matters, who cares how you got there. I have a friend that just finished his first year there and he loves it! UQ never asked for a personal statement or our extra curricular activities so I feel like another school that asks for a more holistic view of applicants and can see all your hard work and what you've done since undergrad would be better. Idk its a tough to know what the best thing to do is but rooting for you in whatever you choose!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I already applied and my apps are on hold status for interview until late summer/early fall. Macquarie sent an email apologizing for a delayed acknowledgment but did say my app is fairly competitive. Macquaire and JCU both required short essay responses which I thoroughly enjoyed. If I could I would apply to UWA or Melbourne. Melbourne is removing its prereq requirements for 2022. Re: Caribbean - well, that's encouraging to hear from somebody. Obviously there is a lot from both sides on tons of forums. The World Directory WFME/FAIMER for the top four Carib schools shows the attrition rate to be not nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. I have also been thinking that working with underserved is definitely something one can do with local citizens in a third world country with low-tech hospital(s). I had two family members receive care for life threatening illnesses from a top Carib school. My family keeps reminding me of this. Our family friend in TX keeps saying I'll go where I'm meant to go. I say too where Christ wants me to go lol. I'll look into my interests with each school in Au and update later. Of course I don't want to hijack the thread here, ha!

If you have any MCAT questions I'd be happy to help. I spent six months studying at a slower to moderate pace. I did 1-2 practice exams/week. I'd say you could probably expedite the studying by doing it in three months but everyone is different. One of the biggest helpful thing is to look of the definitions of terms. Over and over repeated even if it's the same term and you forgot it somewhat. It commits it to memory. This applies to the psych/soc section. I figure there were probably ~400 terms I looked up, often reading the whole web page on it. verywellmind.com is an example of a good source. I have to say though after taking the MCAT twice there were 1-3 questions for the whole exam that should honestly be thrown out. It happened in chem/phys. Just ridiculously worded questions ha. I really do feel the AAMC should allow a calculator as well.

Edit: Just watch out for hidden terms and conditions, fees. I got accepted to Griffith and had to turn it down post-interview due to the fact that Sallie Mae most certainly requires a co-signer to be approved. Additionally, Sallie Mae caps out at $175k USD so it doesn't cover everything. Higher interest rate, making your co-signer potentially liable for some major headache - all not worth it. The U.S. DOE will never give you a hard time about borrowing what you need as long as you keep up with your payments in good faith. Australian uni's asking accepted students to pay the first semester of tuition as the deposit to accept eCOE - What the heck!? Yes, this process is really expensive! So I had to sadly turn down James Cook and Macquarie before interviewing. Flinders offers U.S. loans so I'll think hard about whether to go there or not if accepted. There's an HGTV House Hunters International episode on a Canadian kid who accepted a UQ traditional program offer and didn't think twice. It's a good school and this juggle back and forth with trying to get in to a good school can easily waste years.

Last edited:
  • Love
Hi Everyone, although I have been following this thread for a little while, I have been holding off posting until I had a more concrete idea of what is going on with my future. I got a conditional acceptance letter today! Very excited. I take the MCAT on the 14th of August. I am from Utah, but I have been living here in Brisbane with my partner since January. She was accepted into the program last year and has just finished her first semester. If you guys have questions about settling in, about Brisbane, about the campus, classes, etc. I am happy to answer questions as much as I am able to. Congratulations to those who have already been accepted.

Reactions: 7 users
To be fair, UQO, from what I've heard, offers a loan forgiveness option if you work at the Ochsner hospital for 5 years after residency. That $400k of total debt means nothing at that point.

Have you or anyone else received more info about this loan forgiveness option? I'm very curious about it and would love details!

Starting next year, I heard in a webinar that there will be a scholarship (last two years) for those that go into primary care and stay at Ochsner. I don't remember which webinar, sorry :(

I also want to hear more about this scholarship option, as I plan on pursuing primary care!

I'll reach out to the UQ-O enrolment team for information and update y'all.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey hey! In the offer letter under Program Information it says that we have to "Undertake one placement block in Australia in Year 4" does anyone know what that means? Are we suppose to go back to Australia after being in New Orleans?

Hey hey! In the offer letter under Program Information it says that we have to "Undertake one placement block in Australia in Year 4" does anyone know what that means? Are we suppose to go back to Australia after being in New Orleans?

Yeah I remember hearing that we have to undertake a 6 week placement in australia during our 4th year. I think we also need to be ensured during the 6 weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If we were offered conditional acceptance, contingent on MCAT score, can we still start the acceptance process? or do we wait until getting our 504 MCAT score?

If we were offered conditional acceptance, contingent on MCAT score, can we still start the acceptance process? or do we wait until getting our 504 MCAT score?

I'm pretty sure we still have to submit the deposit and everything by 21 days! They're having a webinar on Thursday about accepting our offers so I'm sure they'll go into more detail with what we should do if we are a conditional acceptance!

EDIT: hehe jk jk you dont submit anything until you have your score!

Last edited:
Will they waive 504 requirement of someone has 502 for conditional acceptance? Did they waive before? Just curious. Caribbean schools are waiving MCAT requirements because of COVID

Will they waive 504 requirement of someone has 502 for conditional acceptance? Did they waive before? Just curious. Caribbean schools are waiving MCAT requirements because of COVID

Hmm I'm not sure but I wouldn't think so tbh. Them letting us apply and be accepted before having our 504+ MCAT scores was because of COVID. But who knows, maybe! You should definitely ask tonight, the webinar is in an hour! Or if you can't make it you can schedule a one-on-one zoom meeting with them too!

Is uploading the official transcript onto the online application good enough or do we have to send a copy to the school directly as well?
I can answer this. What I did was upload an official student copy to the application portal, and then later they'll request for an official copy to be sent from your school(s) to their uq email address.

So if someone is graduating in December, they’re just up a creek even though they have a conditional offer?
I let my offer expire last year in part because I was in that situation. On the upside they don't blacklist people or pull any crap like that, so I had no issue applying and getting an offer the following (this) year.

Oh nice. Yeah, guess I'm just confused. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like every other medical school trusts you to finish your last semester while they hold the spot once you have a deposit sent in.

Last edited:
Oh nice. Yeah, guess I'm just confused. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like every other medical school trusts you to finish your last semester while they hold the spot once you have a deposit sent in.
The issue is that UQ does not send a confirmation of enrollment (COE) until after you submit proof of graduation/degree completion. The way I understand it is that without the COE things like registering for classes, FAFSA, student visa, etc. can't proceed.

Back when this program was referred to as MedEdPath, I asked if December graduation was possible and I was informed that it has happened. I didn't pursue this route, but it wouldn't hurt to send an email asking what could be done in that situation. Best of luck.

Edit: I had a somewhat related email convo with UQ. I finished my degree last month but won't officially graduate until August. I was told that I could move forward with the COE if my school provided an official document saying I will have graduated or have completed my degree. My registrar gave me a "yeah, nah m8" so I resigned to wait it out. Maybe your situation might be different.

Last edited:
Question for those who have been accepted/enrolled- I am working on my student visa and just encountered the bit about being a genuine temporary entrant. What do I even write for this?!

I wouldn’t sweat too much about the genuine temporary entrant free response. Be concise, explain the nature of the Ochsner program, explain why you’re interested/ why UQ, and show that you have a reason to return to the US once your visa expires (nature of Ochsner program + friends/family) and you should be good

I've been worried that with Step 1 becoming P/F, it might affect residency match. There are already disadvantages as an IMG and Step 1 was a way to stand out. But with it becoming P/F, wouldn't this greatly affect chances of getting competitive residencies (like radiology?) or residencies in desirable places to live? For now, things seem uncertain, but does anyone have any ideas about how this might affect matching? Is anyone else really worried about matching with this change?

I've been worried that with Step 1 becoming P/F, it might affect residency match. There are already disadvantages as an IMG and Step 1 was a way to stand out. But with it becoming P/F, wouldn't this greatly affect chances of getting competitive residencies (like radiology?) or residencies in desirable places to live? For now, things seem uncertain, but does anyone have any ideas about how this might affect matching? Is anyone else really worried about matching with this change?
It will just turn step 2 CK into the same cold war of escalation that step 1 became. Just take it before you apply to residency.

Can the people who got accepted say their stats? Also how is the MMI scored and how do you recommend to prepare?

I've got an interview at UQ in August. Do any of you that already took the interview have any advice on how to prepare? What kind of questions do they ask?

Those are just a few of the things I found on this thread. In addition, I'll add that the MMI is worth 50% while your gpa and MCAT are each 25%. That means you should practice. Don't overpractice though. Your goal should be to be familiar enough to be ready to see multiple points of view on any side, but not to memorize anything in particular (in my opinion). Also shoutout to everyone that gave advice! Good luck!

@mermaidoctor @sledpilot

Go to this post! It has all the information and advice people have said! I followed most of the advice on here and felt prepared for my interview! :) good luck to you both!!

Also my GPA is 3.7 and haven't taken my MCAT yet!

Accepted!!!!!!!!!:giggle: Interviewed June 18th
Congrats!! That's so exciting!! I'm applying to Queensland for this cycle as well! I had my interview with UQ last week, not sure how it went so I'm sort of nervous about my results. How long did you wait after you had your interview for the acceptance results? Congrats again!

Congrats!! That's so exciting!! I'm applying to Queensland for this cycle as well! I had my interview with UQ last week, not sure how it went so I'm sort of nervous about my results. How long did you wait after you had your interview for the acceptance results? Congrats again!

Thank you!! It took 18 days! I interviewed on a Thursday and found out 3 Mondays later! It seems like that has been their pattern from past interview dates too. Good luck! :)

Does anyone know if any banks near campus have affiliation with any us banks? I know that we need to open a bank in order to rent a unit and stuff. Thanks

The packet they sent out with the offer said that Citi had a branch in Brisbane. When I brought this up to my friend (current 2nd year) she said the branch wasnt there anymore and she recommends Commonwealth

during one session of the webinar, I heard that LA state offer scholarship for family doctor and psychiatrist.

Does anyone know further details about it?

Thanks.

during one session of the webinar, I heard that LA state offer scholarship for family doctor and psychiatrist.

Does anyone know further details about it?

Thanks.

I had a session with an enrollment officer who stated that it is on hold for the time being due to Covid financial restrictions by the Ocshner Health Systems. It would’ve covered years 3 and 4 tuition. It’s unfortunate as that was one of the main things that made UQ an reasonable option. Half a milli in debt is a pretty substantial burden at 5-8% haha.

It would’ve covered years 3 and 4 tuition.
Big if true. Full MS3-4 tuition is a lot. I think it may be a partial scholarship or if it is as generous as it sounds, there likely would be significant stings attached.

Yes. There’s a 5 year commitment to working at a Ochsner post training.
Now that you mention it, I remember hearing of the arrangement with loan forgiveness program following 5 year post-residency commitment during one of the UQO webinars.

Still, paying for tuition for students sounds... odd since there are a lot of variables and possibilities between starting school and intern year. But unless there's a formal announcement, I wouldn't count on it being a possibility. Fingers crossed though.

Hi all! First of all, congrats on everyone's acceptance!! this is a very exciting time :)

I did not apply for UQ-Oschner MD as I am a Canadian Applicant but I did receive a conditional offer for the UQ traditional MD based on my MCAT score. For those of you that received a conditional offer, do you know if we have to submit our scores within the 21 days we have to accept our offer? I was a bit confused because they stated in the offer that you have until Dec 2020 to submit scores but you can't really accept an offer until all the conditions are met. Unfortunately, I don't write my MCAT until Aug 15 and won't receive my score until September 1st. I also understand that getting an acceptance doesn't necessarily guarantee a place. Sorry, my question might be a bit confusing lol, I guess what I'm asking is will I still be able to secure a spot after September 1st (if there are still available seats) even though it's technically past the 21 days stated in the letter?

There was no trad thread so I figured I could try and ask here first!

I also look forward to meeting you all in January!!!

Congrats on your offer!!

My understanding from the UQ docs out there is that you have 21 days to respond to the offer (i.e. sign and formally accept it) to begin the process of enrollment, and after all offer conditions are fulfilled, you'll get a COE. With the pandemic going on, I would expect the admissions dept. to be understanding of delays with MCAT testing. I suggest you email international admissions and explain your sitch. I don't see why they wouldn't honor your offer until Sept.

Best of luck!

Hi all! First of all, congrats on everyone's acceptance!! this is a very exciting time :)

I did not apply for UQ-Oschner MD as I am a Canadian Applicant but I did receive a conditional offer for the UQ traditional MD based on my MCAT score. For those of you that received a conditional offer, do you know if we have to submit our scores within the 21 days we have to accept our offer? I was a bit confused because they stated in the offer that you have until Dec 2020 to submit scores but you can't really accept an offer until all the conditions are met. Unfortunately, I don't write my MCAT until Aug 15 and won't receive my score until September 1st. I also understand that getting an acceptance doesn't necessarily guarantee a place. Sorry, my question might be a bit confusing lol, I guess what I'm asking is will I still be able to secure a spot after September 1st (if there are still available seats) even though it's technically past the 21 days stated in the letter?

There was no trad thread so I figured I could try and ask here first!

I also look forward to meeting you all in January!!!
Congrats!! I'm in the same boat as you. In a webinar, they said that you will still be able to secure a spot after the 21 days if you have not yet received an MCAT score needed to satisfy a conditional offer. Just make sure you email the admissions committee with an update so they're in the loop. For me, they've been very understanding and accommodating since I have already passed the 21 days and have yet to receive my MCAT score. As long as there are still seats available and you meet the conditions required, the 21 days do not really matter.

Looking forward to meeting next year! Best of luck!!

Congrats on your offer!!

My understanding from the UQ docs out there is that you have 21 days to respond to the offer (i.e. sign and formally accept it) to begin the process of enrollment, and after all offer conditions are fulfilled, you'll get a COE. With the pandemic going on, I would expect the admissions dept. to be understanding of delays with MCAT testing. I suggest you email international admissions and explain your sitch. I don't see why they wouldn't honor your offer until Sept.

Best of luck!
Congrats!! I'm in the same boat as you. In a webinar, they said that you will still be able to secure a spot after the 21 days if you have not yet received an MCAT score needed to satisfy a conditional offer. Just make sure you email the admissions committee with an update so they're in the loop. For me, they've been very understanding and accommodating since I have already passed the 21 days and have yet to receive my MCAT score. As long as there are still seats available and you meet the conditions required, the 21 days do not really matter.

Looking forward to meeting next year! Best of luck!!

Awesome! Hopefully, they do another webinar soon cause I still have so many questions. I was getting a little nervous about missing out on a spot because of the 21 days, but thank you guys for the reassurance! I'll shoot them an email ASAP

Looking forward to being future classmates :)

hey! i'm a current US MD/DO applicant. recently started looking into this school as a possibility in case i don't receive any IIs/acceptances this cycle.

could any of y'all clarify the application timeline? i know classes begin in February, so if i were to apply for Feb '22, when would the application open for that term?

hey! i'm a current US MD/DO applicant. recently started looking into this school as a possibility in case i don't receive any IIs/acceptances this cycle.

could any of y'all clarify the application timeline? i know classes begin in February, so if i were to apply for Feb '22, when would the application open for that term?
Contact - Ochsner MD Program - University of Queensland

The @ address with enquire is the one you want to reach out for any other questions. For Feb '22 admission you'd be applying Nov of this year at the earliest according to this: Important dates

Hi guys, my wife and I both have conditional offers (Pending MCAT) for the UQ Ochsner program. I was hesitant to post on here until we both knew what our MCAT scores were. We both received our scores yesterday and surpassed the 504 requirement! So excited to start med!!! We submitted our acceptance docs yesterday, now just waiting for CoE to come back. I know they say 10 business days, but do you typically hear back sooner than that for confirmation? I don’t want to let friends and family know until we know 100% we are in. Very excited to meet you all in Brissy next year.

Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone who has undergone the MMI for this program comment on its structure? I know that you have to sign a NDA so there is probably not much info you can give. The interview invite mentions that we will be given a scenario to read, and be asked a series of questions by the interviewer. The invite also says we'll be given 7 minutes to respond to the scenario. So are we answering multiple questions from the interviewer, like a dialogue, or just formulating a response to the one prompt? Sorry if this is a stupid question and I know the MMI has already been discussed on this threat. I'm watching the course grinder videos and it seems like those are more dialogue's with actors where you have a back and fourth, but if I am correct you can't ask the interviewer any questions? I'm also looking at the Bemo list of interview questions to practice with. Interviewing August 20th so any guidance would be helpful!

Can anyone who has undergone the MMI for this program comment on its structure? I know that you have to sign a NDA so there is probably not much info you can give. The interview invite mentions that we will be given a scenario to read, and be asked a series of questions by the interviewer. The invite also says we'll be given 7 minutes to respond to the scenario. So are we answering multiple questions from the interviewer, like a dialogue, or just formulating a response to the one prompt? Sorry if this is a stupid question and I know the MMI has already been discussed on this threat. I'm watching the course grinder videos and it seems like those are more dialogue's with actors where you have a back and fourth, but if I am correct you can't ask the interviewer any questions? I'm also looking at the Bemo list of interview questions to practice with. Interviewing August 20th so any guidance would be helpful!
Don't worry about responses so much especially because you can't read body language well when the camera cuts off most of the interviewers' bodies.

The Bemo question list is good. Regardless of where you ZooMMI, it's always good to consider alternative viewpoints without being promoted.

Honestly, responding through more than a dozen or so Bemo questions is prolly overkill but do practice with some them and record yourself discussing your thoughts. My impression is that this MMI is there to figure out whether you're a decent human being and not going to say something callous or ridiculous like, "pfft, duh, healthcare is absolutely a luxury reserved for those who can bankroll my life" or something.

Best of luck!

For those accepted:
When do we register for classes? I remember reading or hearing somewhere that it was in September? Do we have to sign/finalize loans before then based on the cost listed on the CoE? Just wanted to see where everyone's at on the timeline (◍•ᴗ•◍)
hearing back form the financial aid office, cost of attendance will not be set until october-ish. So, you can apply for US federals loans now with the FAFSA application for Semester 1, but UQ will not get back to you about it until october