URM (AA) Male.. I need serious help. WAMC!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makeithappen14

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need serious help with constructing my school list. I have a 2.6 gpa cum. 2.9 science and 525 mcat. I know that it is rare to score that high with a gpa that low but I did the unthinkable.

I'm just now starting to volunteer at both clinical/nonclinical places.

No research

However upward trend in gpa. Like 4.0 in last 50 hours.

I will be applying 2019 for entering class of 2020. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I have couple questions...have you actually taken the MCAT yet? You have been talking about hopefully getting a 525 on it for over year now. Did you take it? If not, then when?

And why are you just starting volunteering now? Last year you said you were volunteering at a highly ranked hospital and also non clinical volunteering at a HIV/AIDS nonprofit. Did you or didn't you begin volunteering last year?

Exactly what progress have you made since you posted last year? That will clue us into what kind of advice to offer at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I need serious help with constructing my school list. I have a 2.6 gpa cum. 2.9 science and 525 mcat. I know that it is rare to score that high with a gpa that low but I did the unthinkable.

No research

Way to go on the MCAT!

Why is your GPA so low specifically? Did you fail your first semester of classes or just not do well in a few sprinkled out?

Do you have any shadowing?

One thing to be aware of is since you have no prior volunteer activity, that it can come across as "box checking" now, if you are not careful (because, that is the position that you are in now if you truly have no volunteering).

I am no help with school lists unfortunately.

Edit-Unaware of the above history

Okay, I have couple questions...have you actually taken the MCAT yet? You have been talking about hopefully getting a 525 on it for over year now. Did you take it? If not, then when?

And why are you just starting volunteering now? Last year you said you were volunteering at a highly ranked hospital and also non clinical volunteering at a HIV/AIDS nonprofit. Did you or didn't you begin volunteering last year?

Exactly what progress have you made since you posted last year? That will clue us into what kind of advice to offer at this point.

I smell a troll in the dungeon Harry

Reactions: 8 users
Hello,

No research

Hello everyone, I'm currently in my third year of studies at a remarkable HBCU. My current major is Sustainability and Agriculture with an emphasis on Biology and Chemistry. I know my low GPA is rather alarming but I can make up for it with a really high mcat. My goal is 99th percentile and my practice I have been scoring around 515. I'm a URM (black male) with basic volunteering and shadowing.
WAMC 2.4 GPA. High mcat. Am I doomed or should I give up now?!?

What are my chances if I earned a 2.8-2.9 GPA and scored a 525+ on the MCAT. Strong upward trend in my last two years- near perfect 4.0 for my last two years. Currently volunteering at a highly ranked hospital and also non clinical volunteering at a HIV/AIDS nonprofit.
WAMC AA Male 2.8 gpa 525 mcat

So if you have a perfect 4.0 GPA from the past 50 hrs, why is your GPA going down, not up?

trolldar.gif~c200

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone, I'm currently in my third year of studies at a remarkable HBCU. My current major is Sustainability and Agriculture with an emphasis on Biology and Chemistry. I know my low GPA is rather alarming but I can make up for it with a really high mcat. My goal is 99th percentile and my practice I have been scoring around 515. I'm a URM (black male) with basic volunteering and shadowing.
WAMC 2.4 GPA. High mcat. Am I doomed or should I give up now?!?

What are my chances if I earned a 2.8-2.9 GPA and scored a 525+ on the MCAT. Strong upward trend in my last two years- near perfect 4.0 for my last two years. Currently volunteering at a highly ranked hospital and also non clinical volunteering at a HIV/AIDS nonprofit.
WAMC AA Male 2.8 gpa 525 mcat

So if you have a perfect 4.0 GPA from the past 50 hrs, why is your GPA going down, not up?

Sorry if I came off as a troll. But this was all hypothetical, I'm still in the process of completing my undergrad degree. I haven't begun to volunteer or research but the whole 4.0 in the last 50 hours was just a prediction of how I would do moving forward before I begun the application process. I suffer from a certain illness that I would rather not say which one but it affects my life in more ways than one. Sorry @Goro I should have said I was only trying to get some advice moving forward. Also this near perfect mcat was just an attempt to make up for a low gpa if it was still below 3.0 by the time I applied. Trust me I'm not a troll, I am however a black male who struggled early on in college. So can you possible gauge my chances based off this info? Thanks

trolldar.gif~c200

Sorry if I came off as a troll. But this was all hypothetical, I'm still in the process of completing my undergrad degree. I haven't begun to volunteer or research but the whole 4.0 in the last 50 hours was just a prediction of how I would do moving forward before I begun the application process. I suffer from a certain illness that I would rather not say which one but it affects my life in more ways than one. Sorry @Goro I should have said I was only trying to get some advice moving forward. Also this near perfect mcat was just an attempt to make up for a low gpa if it was still below 3.0 by the time I applied. Trust me I'm not a troll, I am however a black male who struggled early on in college. So can you possible gauge my chances based off this info? Thanks

Come back when you actually do what you're hoping to do and then we could advise you. Otherwise you are wasting our time with hypotheticals

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a good/great chance at MD schools if your mcat is 515+ with a high gpa in the last 50 credit hrs. However, I think you need to log off and actually start the process of studying for these things, doing research, and volunteering. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.