URM's Applying to Osteopathic Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seeking4Better

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying to DO school's for the Fall 2009 and want to know what other URM's are applying to DO school's and where they are applying. Does anyone know what osteopathic schools are more diverse?

Thanks for your answers! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am applying to DO school's for the Fall 2009 and want to know what other URM's are applying to DO school's and where they are applying. Does anyone know what osteopathic schools are more diverse?

Thanks for your answers! :luck:

Well, UMDNJ-SOM is relatively diverse. Wait, let me rephrase that, there is a diverse representation of females attending SOM. There is a strong level of homogeneity among male students. Then again, this is the ongoing trend at most medical schools: looking at black students, for example, black females may outnumber black males in a ratio of 5:1 or even higher at some schools.

I applied to (and was accepted too) one osteopathic school - The University of North Texas' Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) in Fort Worth. I would say that most DO schools are pretty diverse - but more so with regards to socioeconomic diversity and high numbers of non-traditional students rather than ethnic or racial diversity.

However, if I can offer you any advice (other than the general "applying to medical school advice"), it would be to make sure that you shadow and get a letter of recommendation from a practicing DO. For most schools, this is a requirement. And I've heard from reputable sources even at the schools where this is not a requirement per se, they won't really take your dedication to osteopathic medicine serious without one.

Best of luck in 09! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying osteopathic. OSUCOM Bridge program, LMUCOM and PCOM Georgia. I took the mcat January 25th so I'm really late. I still hope to hear good news.

I'll most likely be applying to them too. I don't know where though.

I will be applying to mostly DO Schools with the exception of a couple MD schools. I will apply to all but VCOM, WVSOM, and NSU-COM in the Summer of 2009.

I have applied to about half the DO schools for the Class of 2012. Anybody else for the C/O 2012?

I am definitely going to apply to DO schools.. I especially like the school in Nevada (probably becuase my dad lives 5 minutes away).. I hope I see some of you at interviews this year... good luck everyone!

I am definitely going to apply to DO schools.. I especially like the school in Nevada (probably becuase my dad lives 5 minutes away).. I hope I see some of you at interviews this year... good luck everyone!

that's cool i live about 20 mins away from Touro.

osteopathic schools have been becoming more diverse, but not really to the level of allo schools, probably even when comparing adjusted ratios. here's an article from the JAOA on student demographics of all the DO schools:

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/abs...INDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

my school, ATSU-SOMA is not diverse, nor is there an office of minority/multicultural affairs (something which i was real used to at my undergrad, UW). we have a majority of white males (>50%), two black students, 3 native americans, 4 latinos, and a handful of indians and other asians. However, the cool part is the school's dedication to serving the underserved populations which most underrepresented students come from. we spend one year in arizona, and then three at community health clinics all over the country that not only serve the community, but are located within the community and are run by progressive physicians, some URM, and other health care professionals who understand and address the consequences of underrepresentation and stratification/inequality in health care.

http://www.atsu.edu/soma/medschool_future/index.htm

so if you are interested in serving the underserved, and like smaller classes with more attention (107 for the first year, 10 for the following years), you should check out SOMA....dang i sound like a recruiter haha.

Last edited:
excellent post seattle! those are all reasons why ATSU SOMA is arguably number one on my list now! Granted Ive only visited Nova, Touro-CA and ATSU-SOMA...
but to continue with the thread:
I am applying to-

1. Nova
  2. ATSU-SOMA
  3. Western
  4. Touro CA & NV
  5. PCOM (Georgia campus as well)
  6. LECOM Bradenton
  7. AZCOM

Nova
LECOM (both)
PCOM Georgia
KCOM
UNECOM

I might add a few more when I get verified.

DMU
Western
LECOM
NYCOM
AZCOM
NSU-COM
Touro-CA

Ok, so according to the US census, being Middle Eastern is not considered a minority, but I still consider myself one even if the government doesn't.. and besides, I still have the last name (haha).
I'm applying to Oklahoma State University COM

I'm applying to Western (i'm from cali)
AZCOM
KCOM
Touro-NV
Touro-NY
PCOM
LECOM-E
DMU
LMU
then Pikeville and the HBCU's

See some of you soon!

Are there anymore URM's applying to Osteopathic schools this year? if so, keep this thread going on where you plan on applying.

Nova
LECOM (both)
PCOM Georgia
KCOM
UNECOM

I might add a few more when I get verified.

added PCOM regular. Complete at KCOM and UNECOM so far. Still waiting on NSUCOM only secondary I haven't received.

i applied early decision to vcom