This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snow9

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow. So many options for clever things to say. I am coming off a night which included 2 intraop consults (1 GYN, 1 GU) for major vessel injuries. Perhaps I should get a good nap in before I offer advice.

Eh

Go into surgery. Believe me, you'll get plenty of GU and GYN cases.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. So many options for clever things to say. I am coming off a night which included 2 intraop consults (1 GYN, 1 GU) for major vessel injuries. Perhaps I should get a good nap in before I offer advice.

Eh

Go into surgery. Believe me, you'll get plenty of GU and GYN cases.

two in one night? impressive

Reactions: 1 user
Is there an opportunity to follow a career in Urology that has less major surgeries and more smaller surgeries/procedural things includes lots of clinic?

How does Uro compare to ObGyn in terms of:
Lifestyle and work-life balance
Amount of surgery vs ability to do more clinics
Patient contact

Important to me are lifestyle (good work-life balance), clinics and more short surgeries/procedural stuff, and patient contact.

I'm an OB GYN and finishing up fellowship.

Would 100% recommend doing urology unless you have some strong desire to do obstetrics.

Much Better pay.
Better work life balance.
If you like smaller procedures, you can make a good living doing stones etc. You can do an advanced endourology fellowship or andrology fellowship to do more MIS type cases. You can do larger cases if that's more of your preference.

Greater job demand even in highly desirable areas. There is basically going to be a fairly large shortage of urologists in the next ~10 years based on current workforce trends (they can always be off) but the long term outlook of the field of urology looks pretty good.

Urology definitely better on lifestyle and money.

Tons of opportunity to do smaller cases in uro -- which is actually more lucrative and more in demand than doing big stuff.

OB/Gyn is not terrible, but if you are competitive enough to get into GU, I would consider that.