Program-Specific Info / Q's USC 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When did you apply? I applied Feb 14th so I'm hoping they haven't looked at mine yet :p

My application was complete 1/30, but verified on 2/10!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, is there anyone that applied for early decision and has been recently admitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in early December and received my acceptance on Wednesday 3/8. I also received a 17,000 tuition scholarship for the first year. I'm not sure if I will accept it, because those loans are pretty heavy...
Stats
University: UCLA
Major: Linguistics and Psychology, Minor: Disability Studies
Overall GPA: 3.52-3.6 (depending on which schools they took/quarter, semester)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.46

Extra-Curric: President of Best Buddies (group that works with individuals with IDD), Production manager of Shakespeare Company, Speaks 4 languages, work with Disability Studies department, Other employment, Special Education Internship - 160 hours

Volunteer: Best Buddies, ~100 hours OT shadowing (primarily Peds, but some in-patient rehab).

Acceptances: USC, Brunel (London)

Rejections: Boston, UofW Seattle

Interviews: Boston, Essex (withdrawn), St. Augustine San Marcos (withdrawn)

Waiting: SJSU

I withdrew Essex and St. Augustine because I'll have to make a decision on USC before the date of the interview, and I'd rather go to USC or Brunel than either of them.

Any advice? USC is a dream, but the price tag is making me wonder.

4 we
I applied in early December and received my acceptance on Wednesday 3/8. I also received a 17,000 tuition scholarship for the first year. I'm not sure if I will accept it, because those loans are pretty heavy...
Stats

Extra-Curric: President of Best Buddies (group that works with individuals with IDD), Production manager of Shakespeare Company, Speaks 4 languages, work with Disability Studies department, Other employment, Special Education Internship - 160 hours

Volunteer: Best Buddies, ~100 hours OT shadowing (primarily Peds, but some in-patient rehab).

I withdrew Essex and St. Augustine because I'll have to make a decision on USC before the date of the interview, and I'd rather go to USC or Brunel than either of them.

CONGRATS!!! I would be super happy to be in your shoes. If you are worried about cost, I would contact SJSU to see your status and let them know that you have an acceptance from another school. I know some people in CSUDH paid nothing in tuition if they received a state grant... maybe it is same with SJSU? And if you are not accepted by SJSU 17,000 scholarship from USC is HUGE and will definitely lighten those loans.

For those who were accepted, is there a confirmation to enroll? Where you given a date for an orientation/ open house at USC?

4 we

CONGRATS!!! I would be super happy to be in your shoes. If you are worried about cost, I would contact SJSU to see your status and let them know that you have an acceptance from another school. I know some people in CSUDH paid nothing in tuition if they received a state grant... maybe it is same with SJSU? And if you are not accepted by SJSU 17,000 scholarship from USC is HUGE and will definitely lighten those loans.

For those who were accepted, is there a confirmation to enroll? Where you given a date for an orientation/ open house at USC?

I was accepted 3/8 and needed to let them know by 3/22. There is a reception on 4/7!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back this week? I thought they'd be sending out more acceptances this week but this thread has been quiet..

Has anyone heard back this week? I thought they'd be sending out more acceptances this week but this thread has been quiet..
I got my acceptance last Tuesday!

Last edited:

I believe they are currently on Spring Break this week, which is why there hasn't been any acceptances this week. It also looks like they possibly only have about 2-3 weeks left of acceptances since the reception for accepted students is on 4/7. I would imagine they would want to send out all the remaining acceptances before they all leave for the AOTA conference which begins on March 30th. So hopefully we hear a lot more from them next week! :)

Last edited:
I applied in early Dec and still haven't heard back a thing yet.

Stats

Congrats on getting accepted and getting a scholarship from USC! Do you mind sharing your GRE score? As for the price tag of USC, it is VERY daunting. SJSU is the best school to go to if you are worried about the amount of debt you will have after. I hear a lot of people who go to Cal States for OT such as SJSU or Dominguez Hills go for free because of Cal Grants from FAFSA (but you have to be a California resident). Plus, I know that SJSU gets summers off, which is a big plus, to re-charge and just work during the summer!

I applied in early Dec and still haven't heard back a thing yet.
I also submitted my application in December and have yet to hear anything. It's making me a little nervous as I'm coming to the end of hearing back from my grad schools I applied to and have no acceptances yet :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I also submitted my application in December and have yet to hear anything. It's making me a little nervous as I'm coming to the end of hearing back from my grad schools I applied to and have no acceptances yet :/
I'm sure a lot of you will hear back today or tomorrow. I received my acceptance email two weeks ago, and was given until the 22nd (tomorrow) to decide. People may turn down their spots which leaves room for more students to get accepted

Still no word from USC ... waiting game is so stressful. :( I'm thankful to have been admitted to University of St. Augustine , but my heart is with USC. For those still waiting , I hope we hear good news soon!

I'm hoping we hear back tomorrow or Thursday. I keep refreshing my email every 5 minutes hoping to hear something! This wait is so stressful.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when the financial aid package of USC will be sent to the applicants?

Did anyone hear anything yet today?
Me either. Other people I have been talking to have talked to Carley Liz and she told them they would be sending out acceptances 4-6 weeks after the Feb. 15th deadline so we should have another week to hear back! Fingers crossed we do!

Reactions: 1 users
My mom keeps telling me no news is good news! :p I hope she is right. I guess some of us have to wait until next week to find out.

Does anyone know if they've sent o
My mom keeps telling me no news is good news! :p I hope she is right. I guess some of us have to wait until next week to find out.
Mom's know best! :) Hopefully we hear good news tomorrow.

Hey guys, I got an email about an hour ago with my accceptance :) Anyone else?

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing yet. Hoping I receive something soon because it's killing me not knowing haha

Congratulations, you must be so happy ! I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear from them. It's so late in the game , I'm starting to get pretty worried, but nothing like that OT mentality to stay hopeful ! Would you mind sharing your stats ? Also, when did you apply ? Thanks !

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I just got accepted to USC a couple days ago and am 99% sure I'll be going! I was wondering if anyone else knows for sure they will be going there as well? I'm super excited!!

Has anyone heard anything this week? I thought they would've sent out acceptances this week but I guess they're just waiting until next week? The waiting is killing me
I just heard back a couple days ago!

Just got waitlisted. Does anybody know how likely waitlist gets accepted?

Just got waitlisted. Does anybody know how likely waitlist gets accepted?
I would ask to find out where you are on the waitlist. Even though the amount of people taken off the list changes every year, I think a good amount do get off!

Does anyone know how many people are accepted into the program and how many people they typically put on the wait list?

Just got an email from Liz that I was denied. Oh well. If I got in it would have been some kind of miracle because I only applied there this year HAHA. I'm not too upset, I didnt have my physiology grade in and my GRE score was nothing to sneeze at Anyways I emailed her asking what I could do to improve for next year.

Got my rejection too. I knew it was a long shot but still stings a little. FitOTgirl, let me know what she replies on to improve because I'd like to do the same if my last school doesn't work out this year.

I got accepted today. I guess I was one of the last ones but idc because USC was my first choice!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my rejection too. I knew it was a long shot but still stings a little. FitOTgirl, let me know what she replies on to improve because I'd like to do the same if my last school doesn't work out this year.

Same. Rejection email. Well, at lease I feel relieved that I will not be paying so much debt lol. Did you (or others here who were rejected) receive offers from other schools?

Is anyone else still waiting for a response? I have not heard anything yet ...

I just got my acceptance letter this afternoon!:biglove: I'm so shocked...I still cannot believe I got accepted but its slowly sinking in. For those that are in hopes of getting in one day, you can really do it! Just don't give up. I told myself I'll do better with my application this year and I did. I was in the same boat as you all and your encouragements helped me have hope of getting into at least one school. Thank you everyone!!

I just got my acceptance letter this afternoon!:biglove: I'm so shocked...I still cannot believe I got accepted but its slowly sinking in. For those that are in hopes of getting in one day, you can really do it! Just don't give up. I told myself I'll do better with my application this year and I did. I was in the same boat as you all and your encouragements helped me have hope of getting into at least one school. Thank you everyone!!
thank you for your encouraging words! what exactly did you focus on bettering in terms of your stats?

thank you for your encouraging words! what exactly did you focus on bettering in terms of your stats?

I think I did well on the personal statement (the USC one). I had at least three people look over my essay to make sure I addressed my message clearly without much grammatical errors. I also read a lot of personal statement examples on the web to get a feel of what makes that particular essay unique or shine from others.

Other than that, my GRE score wasn't the best >.<. So if you can work on getting great LORs or write a personal statement that is well thought out, you are good to go!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I just got accepted to USC a couple days ago and am 99% sure I'll be going! I was wondering if anyone else knows for sure they will be going there as well? I'm super excited!!
yes, I will be there!!!! so excited!

got accepted yesterday!!! blown away, I really thought USC wasn't an option for me anymore since I hadn't heard anything for so long. Excited to meet you all!

I got rejected yesterday as well but I got accepted into a few other programs that I'm really excited about! Good luck to you all!

Same. Rejection email. Well, at lease I feel relieved that I will not be paying so much debt lol. Did you (or others here who were rejected) receive offers from other schools?
I have no acceptances yet. Just waitlisted for AT Still, still waiting to hear back from Stanbridge. But they aren't releasing acceptance until May 1. If I don't get in, back to work for next years applications!

I have no acceptances yet. Just waitlisted for AT Still, still waiting to hear back from Stanbridge. But they aren't releasing acceptance until May 1. If I don't get in, back to work for next years applications!
Hang in there! I hope you get in both AT and Stranbridge so you will be on your way to be a great OT.

Mom was right! I got in! Anyone else commuting from OC?