Program-Specific Info / Q's USC 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i was thinking of taking the metrolink. What about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I found out on Monday that my USC application was incomplete. I had turned in my app through OTCAS on January 15th and was notified by USC that it was incomplete. I came to found out that my GRE score was never posted onto my OTCAS because my name on my GRE score is my FULL name, where as my OTCAS application has only my first, middle, and last name. I am so sad that I did not catch this sooner.

Lesson learned--CONFIRM EVERYTHING WITH ALL SCHOOLS YOU APPLY TO & OTCAS to make sure they have EVERYTHING!!

I got accepted a couple of days ago. My question is for the people who have been accepted...when I log on to youSC to confirm my choice, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where/what I need to do?

I got accepted a couple of days ago. My question is for the people who have been accepted...when I log on to youSC to confirm my choice, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where/what I need to do?
It takes a while! I got an email to check my status roughly a week after I was accepted.

Has anyone heard back regarding financial aid?

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from USC? I have not received a decision notification yet... :(

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from USC? I have not received a decision notification yet... :(
I would contact them, especially if you turned in your application before the February 15th deadline because your application might be missing items and therefore incomplete (that is what happened to me). Keep in mind, they won't be responding to emails since it is the AOTA conference this weekend (starting today actually), so I can imagine they will be doing a lot of catch up on Monday in regards to emails and phone calls.

I would contact them, especially if you turned in your application before the February 15th deadline because your application might be missing items and therefore incomplete (that is what happened to me). Keep in mind, they won't be responding to emails since it is the AOTA conference this weekend (starting today actually), so I can imagine they will be doing a lot of catch up on Monday in regards to emails and phone calls.
Thanks! I did and they were so nice! They explained that because I graduated from a university outside the US my application will take a little longer to process. There is still hope for me! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
How was the reception today for those that were accepted & went? Also, for those who were rejected, were you guys notified by email or a letter through the mail?

How was the reception today for those that were accepted & went? Also, for those who were rejected, were you guys notified by email or a letter through the mail?
The reception was great, very organized and it was really nice meeting the staff/professors. We also had a chance to hear a lot of the professors and staff speak (very briefly) about their resumes, specialty areas, etc.., along with the team involved with the China initiative. This was particularly interesting and exciting for me that USC is helping establish OT in China! I also did the health science campus tour before the luncheon and although I had already seen the simulation labs (from years ago when I attended an information session) it was cool to see the large classroom everyone will be in for the summer before we get split into cohorts.
Overall, great day - made me feel more confident about my decision.

Reactions: 1 user
The reception was great, very organized and it was really nice meeting the staff/professors. We also had a chance to hear a lot of the professors and staff speak (very briefly) about their resumes, specialty areas, etc.., along with the team involved with the China initiative. This was particularly interesting and exciting for me that USC is helping establish OT in China! I also did the health science campus tour before the luncheon and although I had already seen the simulation labs (from years ago when I attended an information session) it was cool to see the large classroom everyone will be in for the summer before we get split into cohorts.
Overall, great day - made me feel more confident about my decision.
Hi, was the reception for MS OT or MA OT? Or both?

Hi there,

I'm not sure about the MSOT, I think USC just has the MA program??? Not sure about that...
But I think the reception was for MAII students who will be starting this summer. There were several students there that are doing their undergrad w USC and continuing into the MA program...hopefully this answers your question:)

I just got accepted and am leaning towards accepting the spot. However, I'm not from California and know nothing about Los Angeles. What are the best areas to look for housing in? Also, does anyone know if there's a Facebook group started for the incoming class?

Last edited:
I just got accepted and am leaning towards accepting the spot. However, I'm not from California and know nothing about Los Angeles. What are the best areas to look for housing in? Also, does anyone know if there's a Facebook group started for the incoming class?
Congrats on your acceptance! I'm a current student, and like you I knew nothing about LA when I moved here.

I started out living my main campus (UPC) within the DPS patrol zone, but still had a few too many incidents happen in the neighborhood for my comfort and peace of mind. I moved to Pasadena, and I love it. My commute to school is 25-30mins on average, for 7.2 miles. Welcome to LA.

Other good areas: Alhambra, Downtown (pricey, but some nice areas if your budget allows), Parts of Lincoln Heights. Stay away from South Central LA unless you're by campus, inside the DPS patrolled zone, ideally in the 'Row' area (lots of students, greek life). But again, I was only 2 blocks west of campus and had some sketchy things happen nearby.

Hope that helps, and hope to see around on campus next year!

USC only has an MA program. But, I wouldn't put too much weight on this. You will still learn lots of science and all you need to know to pass your boards and be a great OT :)

Awesome, thanks a ton!
Do a lot of people drive to school/what is parking like on campus and in the different areas?

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm a current student, and like you I knew nothing about LA when I moved here.

I started out living my main campus (UPC) within the DPS patrol zone, but still had a few too many incidents happen in the neighborhood for my comfort and peace of mind. I moved to Pasadena, and I love it. My commute to school is 25-30mins on average, for 7.2 miles. Welcome to LA.

Other good areas: Alhambra, Downtown (pricey, but some nice areas if your budget allows), Parts of Lincoln Heights. Stay away from South Central LA unless you're by campus, inside the DPS patrolled zone, ideally in the 'Row' area (lots of students, greek life). But again, I was only 2 blocks west of campus and had some sketchy things happen nearby.

Hope that helps, and hope to see around on campus next year!

USC only has an MA program. But, I wouldn't put too much weight on this. You will still learn lots of science and all you need to know to pass your boards and be a great OT :)
Oh, I was just asking if the reception was for the MA or MS program.

Has anyone heard back about the division awards/scholarships ?

Technically, we will see each other in June because the program starts in the summer. lol
My acceptance letter says that the MA program will start on August 21.. I'm in the Post professional program

Awesome, thanks a ton!
Do a lot of people drive to school/what is parking like on campus and in the different areas?

I totally forgot to mention Currie Hall! Brand new apartment building right on campus. Perfect if you want a furnished apartment, roommates, and zero commute. It's a 3 minute walk over to your classes :)

If you live by main campus (UPC), there's a free shuttle that runs between the 2 campuses. It takes about 40 mins each way due to the lovely L.A. traffic.

A fair number of us commute, and there are several parking permits available, as well as limited meter/free parking. Some people are fine with the free parking, but you should be aware that there have been several muggings in the last year along this stretch. It's also a bit of a walk. The parking permits are a lottery system (except for in the summer). I unfortunately didn't get lot 71 (the cheapest), and ended up in San Pablo Parking Structure. It's right by Currie Hall, and its a brand new parking garage structure. Bonus, it's a covered garage and it's close to class. Less of a bonus, the $500/semester cost.

Hope that helps!

I totally forgot to mention Currie Hall! Brand new apartment building right on campus. Perfect if you want a furnished apartment, roommates, and zero commute. It's a 3 minute walk over to your classes :)

If you live by main campus (UPC), there's a free shuttle that runs between the 2 campuses. It takes about 40 mins each way due to the lovely L.A. traffic.

A fair number of us commute, and there are several parking permits available, as well as limited meter/free parking. Some people are fine with the free parking, but you should be aware that there have been several muggings in the last year along this stretch. It's also a bit of a walk. The parking permits are a lottery system (except for in the summer). I unfortunately didn't get lot 71 (the cheapest), and ended up in San Pablo Parking Structure. It's right by Currie Hall, and its a brand new parking garage structure. Bonus, it's a covered garage and it's close to class. Less of a bonus, the $500/semester cost.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the information, 2016OTHopeful! I have sent an application to Currie Hall already, but I'm having second thoughts due to the cost of the rent. Can you recommend any apartments that is good for a person living by themselves that's relatively near the OT department? And do you have any suggestions on how to acquire a parking permits? $500 is pretty expensive. :(

Thank yoou very much!

Oh, and do you stay at the OT house? What are the pros and cons of staying at the OT house? Thanks a bunch!

For those admitted, how long did it take for the confirmation from the university to come in?