This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junejune

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really torn... I don't strongly prefer one over the other (hence the sparse list) so your thoughts and perspectives are extremely appreciated.

USC Keck

Pros
  • More robust clinical experience/students are more prepared(?) bc of LAC+USC hospital
  • Bigger network, USC connections and all that jazz
  • More research opportunities/"better" research opportunities (just the impression I had, but honestly would love insight on this/to be told I'm wrong)
  • Loved the school and students in general. People seem happy, feel supported by admin.

Cons
  • More expensive.

UC Irvine
Pros
  • Loved UCI even more than USC, but could chalk it up to being in a better mood on interview day at UCI.
  • Students seem like a happy, laid back, tight-knit bunch. Feel the administration cares. These are huge + in environment for me. Also gelled really well with other interviewees and students.

Cons
  • Smaller network, not as well-connected as USC

Summary:

Residency: Interested in derm, GI, or family med, pretty sure interests will change but I would want to maximize my edge for competitive specialties just incase. Somewhat interested in academic medicine.

In short: is USC held in that much higher regard than UCI, and how much does school name factor into matching? And does the medical school you go to impact the practice setting you're more likely to go into?

Location: Both close to family in SoCal, significant other in NorCal. Don't care about driving/traffic. Curriculum differences negligible to me. Would be interested in hearing how important you think the surrounding area is to the med school experience, so in this case LA vs Orange County.

$$: Parents will support me financially, so the extra $$$ for USC would not be horrible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keck is the better school, it will provide you the edge you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your list here, I'd go with UCI. It's cheaper, you liked your day there more, and I don't think Keck is regarded as being significantly better than UCI.

UCI has plenty of research opportunities and a fine clinical education system. USC might have more networking opportunities because it is a private school, but keep in mind that most networking is done during residency, not to mention that you can network during away rotations as well.

USC is x1.5 times the cost!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote UCI.
USC is a good mid-tier school, but it is not worth 100k more. However, if money is no problem for you (ie rich parents), I would go to USC. Laymen prestige for USC is a bit higher than UCI in southern California.

I vote UCI.
USC is a good mid-tier school, but it is not worth 100k more. However, if money is no problem for you (ie rich parents), I would go to USC. Laymen prestige for USC is a bit higher than UCI in southern California.
Thanks for your reply jessicajonesharvard. I guess my question is-- does layman prestige matter much in the grand scheme of things? I know this might be difficult to answer, but how much does layman prestige reflect program directors' impressions of medical schools?

Keck is super secretive with their match list (aka...i cannot find it anywhere online). But USC definitely has more national prestige/recognition than UCI. That being said...compare their match lists. Are they sending students in a similar ratio to several specialties? Is USC sending more graduates to more highly ranked programs? Or are their match lists very similar? That is the outcome variable! So....if one is wayyy cheaper and both send people to similar places then...it doesn't matter! However, if one provides a real advantage versus the other, that is something to consider.

Thanks for your reply jessicajonesharvard. I guess my question is-- does layman prestige matter much in the grand scheme of things? I know this might be difficult to answer, but how much does layman prestige reflect program directors' impressions of medical schools?

No it doesn't.

There is some correlation regarding the fact that higher schools have more impressive match lists. But if you can get into a top 5 med school, then you can easily match into ortho (correlation doesn't equal causation). But people from mid tier med schools match into top specialties and top programs ALL THE TIME.

I voted for UCI. I was accepted at both schools. In my opinion, UCI's administration really cares. Look at the emails they have sent us even before we even decided UCI was the school for us. That's something I care about a lot. However, if you don't think that's important and do want to go into a competitive specialty more than family med, I would suggest USC. It really depends on your goals. USC's match list is a little better, but UCI is still good. I would suggest asking students how they feel about their school and what type of culture the schools have. They are quite different imo. Good luck! PM me if you want to discuss further. I was debating these two schools for a while.

I very respectfully disagree with ClamShell. Human nature is human nature. Layman prestige definitely plays a role in how residency directors view medical schools, which obviously also impacts the "grand scheme of things." Of course, anyone can match to anything from any medical school. But some schools provide an advantage versus others.

This is why Brown and Dartmouth tend to match so strongly (versus equal or higher "ranked" public medical schools like Alabama, Iowa, OSU, Colorado, or Wisconsin) despite their upper/mid-tier research rankings. This is, of course, in my humble opinion.

I very respectfully disagree with ClamShell. Human nature is human nature. Layman prestige definitely plays a role in how residency directors view medical schools, which obviously also impacts the "grand scheme of things." Of course, anyone can match to anything from any medical school. But some schools provide an advantage versus others.

This is why Brown and Dartmouth tend to match so strongly (versus equal or higher "ranked" public medical schools like Alabama, Iowa, OSU, Colorado, or Wisconsin) despite their upper/mid-tier research rankings. This is, of course, in my humble opinion.

I definitely appreciate your perspective, thank you.

Also wanted to add that judging from ClamShell's other posts, it seems they are actually on the Keck wait list. So while I value their input, unfortunately it bears no weight in my mind because there's a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I think you should go with USC. You said your parents will support you financially. Your only major con is that it is more expensive. Well, that’s not a major problem for you. I am pretty sure you can always give back to your parents in the future when you make $. Education, and personal happiness, is worth investing, imho.

If your gut tells you to go to USC, take it. Or else, you will always have a what if moments. In the end, money won’t be a problem for majority of competent physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely appreciate your perspective, thank
Also wanted to add that judging from ClamShell's other posts, it seems they are actually on the Keck wait list. So while I value their input, unfortunately it bears no weight in my mind because there's a conflict of interest.

Sorry you feel that way. I was simply basing it on the fact that UCI is a lot cheaper and both schools are comparable in reputation, with USC being marginally higher.

I do admit that USC will give you a better network. And yes, I am waitlisted at Keck and yes, I do love Keck for personal reasons. But I was basing my comments on facts and objective opinions.

Wherever you decide to go, I wish you good luck. And just remember that your ability to successfully match has more to do with your performance in med school rather than the name on your diploma.

Good luck! :)