Using Non English courses for the English Prereq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SoftGel

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering what Non-English classes people have used to fulfill their English prereqs.

For example, here is the English Prereq critera taken from the Columbia website:

"6 credits, or the equivalent of one academic year of study, of coursework in English composition or literature or a writing intensive class in a non-English department."

Prerequisites

I have no undergrad English classes, but do have AP English credit from highschool and was a Political Science major - essentially all my PolSci classes were writing intensive classes. Has anyone tried to get the prereq fulfilled with PolSci classes?

I would prefer not taking a year of English classes.

Thanks!
 
My university required a semester of intro english and one upper-level writing course. These were required even with AP credit, IIRC. The upper-level course depended on your major (mine was biochem lab). They're tailored to be intentionally writing intensive.

I did one semester of "Great Books" (Greek literature/composition, honors student requirement instead of intro english), and German literature. None of these are english department, but worked out fine.

Did you take a specific poli sci course that was upper level and writing intensive? Maybe that will work.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile