Using Non English courses for the English Prereq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoftGel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what Non-English classes people have used to fulfill their English prereqs.

For example, here is the English Prereq critera taken from the Columbia website:

"6 credits, or the equivalent of one academic year of study, of coursework in English composition or literature or a writing intensive class in a non-English department."

Prerequisites

I have no undergrad English classes, but do have AP English credit from highschool and was a Political Science major - essentially all my PolSci classes were writing intensive classes. Has anyone tried to get the prereq fulfilled with PolSci classes?

I would prefer not taking a year of English classes.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My university required a semester of intro english and one upper-level writing course. These were required even with AP credit, IIRC. The upper-level course depended on your major (mine was biochem lab). They're tailored to be intentionally writing intensive.

I did one semester of "Great Books" (Greek literature/composition, honors student requirement instead of intro english), and German literature. None of these are english department, but worked out fine.

Did you take a specific poli sci course that was upper level and writing intensive? Maybe that will work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile