USU or Uniformed Service University easier to get into?

FormerReservist

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
Should I apply to USU? According to MSAR, their average is 3.45 and 30. Although their MCAT is around the mean of most mediocre med schools, their GPA is .2 lower, which means that I should get in there for sure? My friends with 3.5 and 32, and 3.7&29 got in there. I have a better overall resummate then them

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Do you want to go to the military???

Yes- then apply
No- dont apply.

FormerReservist

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
I don't really care, although I prefer not to...
I am just saying, if I have the stat and ECs to get into a regular med school, I should get in there without even writing a decent PS, sec, and interview?

About the Ads

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am just saying, if I have the stat and ECs to get into a regular med school, I should get in there without even writing a decent PS, sec, and interview?
no
Why would you write a subpar PS anyways? Im kind of confused

LadyWolverine

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
Hiding in your closet
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Should I apply to USU? According to MSAR, their average is 3.45 and 30. Although their MCAT is around the mean of most mediocre med schools, their GPA is .2 lower, which means that I should get in there for sure? My friends with 3.5 and 32, and 3.7&29 got in there. I have a better overall resummate then them

Pray tell, what is a "mediocre" med school? :rolleyes:

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
These are tough times for the military but I doubt that the military is desparate enough to admit you to their medical school. So keep on hoping and dreaming and wishing and hoping.

FlowLimited

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

If you stick around SDN long enough, you will soon find that this is a very naive sentiment. There are no sure things in the med school application process, regardless of whether your stats are double, triple, or quadruple the averages for a particular school.

Put your best effort into every part of the application process and for every school you apply to.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OP, could you give us more specifics on your "resummate?" Is that the offspring of someone who mates with a resume?

Jvillegator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
as a student holding an acceptance at USU and weighing my options, I think I can say the majority of students going there are just as qualified to attend other schools as you are and hardly consider it a "last resort." I understand what your saying, but I don't think you can throw around the words mediocre and med school in the same sentence...

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
as a student holding an acceptance at USU and weighing my options, I think I can say the majority of students going there are just as qualified to attend other schools as you are and hardly consider it a "last resort." I understand what your saying, but I don't think you can throw around the words mediocre and med school in the same sentence...

Thank you for your service if this is where you decide to attend medical school. I appreciate it.

Just make sure at your interview you call them "mediocre" or "lukewarm," and with your "resummate," you are a slam dunk. That will get you in!

Agreed. USU is unique, if you know military medicine is your thing a lot of people choose it over others.

That being said, if you are unsure about military medicine or think it's not for you, it's usually a mistake to go.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.