USU or Uniformed Service University easier to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerReservist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I apply to USU? According to MSAR, their average is 3.45 and 30. Although their MCAT is around the mean of most mediocre med schools, their GPA is .2 lower, which means that I should get in there for sure? My friends with 3.5 and 32, and 3.7&29 got in there. I have a better overall resummate then them

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to go to the military???

Yes- then apply
No- dont apply.

I don't really care, although I prefer not to...
I am just saying, if I have the stat and ECs to get into a regular med school, I should get in there without even writing a decent PS, sec, and interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just saying, if I have the stat and ECs to get into a regular med school, I should get in there without even writing a decent PS, sec, and interview?
no
Why would you write a subpar PS anyways? Im kind of confused

Should I apply to USU? According to MSAR, their average is 3.45 and 30. Although their MCAT is around the mean of most mediocre med schools, their GPA is .2 lower, which means that I should get in there for sure? My friends with 3.5 and 32, and 3.7&29 got in there. I have a better overall resummate then them

Pray tell, what is a "mediocre" med school? :rolleyes:

These are tough times for the military but I doubt that the military is desparate enough to admit you to their medical school. So keep on hoping and dreaming and wishing and hoping.

If you stick around SDN long enough, you will soon find that this is a very naive sentiment. There are no sure things in the med school application process, regardless of whether your stats are double, triple, or quadruple the averages for a particular school.

Put your best effort into every part of the application process and for every school you apply to.

OP, could you give us more specifics on your "resummate?" Is that the offspring of someone who mates with a resume?

as a student holding an acceptance at USU and weighing my options, I think I can say the majority of students going there are just as qualified to attend other schools as you are and hardly consider it a "last resort." I understand what your saying, but I don't think you can throw around the words mediocre and med school in the same sentence...

as a student holding an acceptance at USU and weighing my options, I think I can say the majority of students going there are just as qualified to attend other schools as you are and hardly consider it a "last resort." I understand what your saying, but I don't think you can throw around the words mediocre and med school in the same sentence...

Thank you for your service if this is where you decide to attend medical school. I appreciate it.

Just make sure at your interview you call them "mediocre" or "lukewarm," and with your "resummate," you are a slam dunk. That will get you in!

Agreed. USU is unique, if you know military medicine is your thing a lot of people choose it over others.

That being said, if you are unsure about military medicine or think it's not for you, it's usually a mistake to go.