UT Memphis for Fall 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its just like vegas! WOOOOOOOOOoo.

THere are some sick stats involved with the class. I believe the admitted class averages are something like 3.8 GPA and a 30 MCAT and the waitlist averages are 3.5 GPA and a 27.5 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last year as a Junior, and got waitlisted in March. Nelson called me one morning in June while I was at work on an ambulance ( I'm a paramedic) to tell me he had a spot for me. I defered for a year to graduate from Clemson University. So, have no fear if you are on the waitlist. People do get in from the list.

Matt

NREMT paramedic

Originally posted by Robz
There are some sick stats involved with the class. I believe the admitted class averages are something like 3.8 GPA and a 30 MCAT and the waitlist averages are 3.5 GPA and a 27.5 MCAT.

And last year's class was supposedly very chill, which means...

Gunner hell year kiddies!:wow:

--Funkless

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey... for all of you "out of towners" I found a great website for apartments & condos in Memphis. It is a website set up by the Center City Commission, so I think it should be a relatively independent source of housing info.

There are also maps of the various housing areas around the campus.

Here's the link to the housing lists:

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/live/live_housing_type_results.asp#

and here is the link to the main neighborhood page:

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/live/live_neighborhoods.asp

Take care & happy house/apartment/codo hunting!

So, of everyone who has gotten in, is anyone planning on doing the Military HPSP program? Specifically, the Navy?

Matt

UT Memphis College of Medicine Class of 2008
NREMT-Paramedic
B.S. Microbiology Clemson University 2004

So, how were the national averages for applicants this year? Is this year's phenonmenon at UT much different than that what we see across the board?

OH, and Center City Commission is a great rescource.

There is a good deal of funding/tax breaks for people who renovate old warehouses downtown. Many are being turned into some gorgeous appartments. You may be able to find some that aren't remarkably expensive due to the fact that the renovators are getting a break. The crime rate downtown, despite what many think, is among the lowest in the city's zipcodes (data from the Memphis Chamber of Commerce). That would be my first choice among places I would like to live if I didn't have a house here already.

I agree with Asclepius-----Downtown is a great place to live - either in one of the renovated buildings, in South Bluffs, or on Mud Island. I have lived in two different apartment complexes on the island so let me know if you have questions about the pros/cons of living there.

Asclepius - what part of town are you in now?

I will be headed down next weekend to check out some of the apartments on Mud Island and the vicinity. What do you all think of the Med. district area? Is it worth the savings? (approx. $200+ less a month over Mud Island)

Let me know which places on the Island are good & what is this I hear about th Brown Recluse spider infestation?

Talk to you all soon... departing for AL for Easter!

I've heard that Mud Island is absolutely LOUSY with brown recluses (or is it brown recleese?).

My wife and I just bought a house in Cordova, which definitely wasn't our first choice location, but we got an incredible deal on the house. Looking at a 30 min commute each way. Oh well.

--Funkless, class of 2008

Speaking of which, note to self: remember this thread if you see necrotizing fasciitis during your ED clinical rotations.

--Funkless

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by funkless
Speaking of which, note to self: remember this thread if you see necrotizing fasciitis during your ED clinical rotations.

--Funkless

heh...you probably won't see many Mud Island residents at the hospitals where we will be doing most of our rotations. ;)

I live in East Memphis close to White Station high school...just behind it, really

Regarding Mud Island:

I lived there two years and never saw a Brown Recluse, but it is not uncommon. However, it is not an issue that has kept many people, if any, off the island
  • Arbors (in Harbor Town section) - I lived here. Large complex with two phases within the Harbor Town Neighborhood. Harbor Town is the original planned development on Mud Island with nice homes, walking trails, pizzeria/video store, dry cleaners, small grocery, etc. The Arbors are the only apartment complex within the actual Harbor Town development. Most of the parking lots have key pads for entrance; the apartments aren't gated, but the lots have the arm that prohibits car entry from those who don't know the code.
  • Riverset Apartments - I also lived here. These are the least appealing to the eye. It think it is the largest complex on the island. These are not gated, but have the keypad w/ arm just as the Arbors. These are the most affordable on the Island.
  • The Grove - Very nice, on the high end of the price scale, and fully gated. These are probably the nicest.
  • Island Park - At the very end of Island Drive. These are also nice, and they are gated.
  • Estates at River Point - Island Drive (the road that runs the length of the island) runs along the river and then turns back to the right after you pass the Island Park Apartments. After the turn, you reach this complex. It is the newest on the island. It is gated and seems very nice. However, unlike the other complexes, the entrance to the Estates at River Point does face the river. Some people prefer to have the better access to the park / river. But, it is an easy walk, and probably no further than if you lived in some of the units situated towards back of the other complexes .

Those of you from Memphis - Please comment / correct / add to these decriptions. I could be wrong on some of these. Hope this helps!

My soon to be wife and I spent Christmas apartment hunting for next fall. We went all over Memphis looking at apartments. Of the ones we looked at on Mud Island, I liked the Estates at River Point. We finally decided on Jefferson Place Apartments. It's not as new as some of the Mud Island apartments, but it was still very nice. It was also alot easier on the budget. We got a nice two bedroom place that was bigger square footage wise than a two bedroom on the island for the price of a one bedroom. I am planning on turning the second bedroom into my study / office. Also, the residents there are almost entirely UT Memphis Students. It is literally a stone's throw from Campus. It is gated with a Police Station on one side, Fire Department one the back side (I'm a firefighter so I really liked seeing the trucks out there.) I felt safe there. If anyone else is hunting I hope this helps.

Matt

Cerberus said:
Anyone know how many science letters of rec UTMEMPHIS requires?

Cerberus!

You should be studying for the MCAT, isn't it next week?! ;) You can worry about lor's next week, after the exam. Remember your signature quote, let application questions slide for one week. With that said, good luck on the exam, I'm sure you'll do well.

Cheers!
rmp

P.S. Regarding your question, a committee letter is fine for their requirement. However I don't know their specific number and types of letters (science vs. non-science) they require if you don't have a comm. letter. I'm sure someone on the board has an answer.

rmp said:
Cerberus!

You should be studying for the MCAT, isn't it next week?! ;) You can worry about lor's next week, after the exam. Remember your signature quote, let application questions slide for one week. With that said, good luck on the exam, I'm sure you'll do well.

Cheers!
rmp

P.S. Regarding your question, a committee letter is fine for their requirement. However I don't know their specific number and types of letters (science vs. non-science) they require if you don't have a comm. letter. I'm sure someone on the board has an answer.

heh, I am a bit burned out on the whole mcat thing. I am trying to "take it easy" this week:)

Cerberus said:
heh, I am a bit burned out on the whole mcat thing. I am trying to "take it easy" this week:)

I hear you, I studied up until Wednesday of the last week and relaxed Thursday and Friday. Definitely bring a book or a walkman to the testing site on exam day to block out all the franctic premed conversation going on around you.

Cheers!
rmp

My university does not have a Committee. So, I sent in three letters. One was academic, My organic professor. One was personal. It was written by a Ut Memphis faculty doc,a good family friend. The third was written by my boss at work. I am a firefighter Paramedic. This strategy worked, because I got in.

so, when does the waitlist move?

If any of you are still looking into housing options (it being April I'm sure you are) you should check out Ambassador Commons. Its an apartment complex that was the Ambassador Hotel back in the day. They have been working on a total renovation for as long as I have lived here so I think its going to be really nice. The sign out front reads that they have one and two bedroom apartments. Its located between S. Front St. and S. Main. So if anyone is looking for an alternative to living so close to campus you should check it out. The neighborhood is much safer than the area around the school. Plus the trolley runs all the way down Main, so you can now ride the trolley to school. :)

mison said:
If any of you are still looking into housing options (it being April I'm sure you are) you should check out Ambassador Commons. Its an apartment complex that was the Ambassador Hotel back in the day. They have been working on a total renovation for as long as I have lived here so I think its going to be really nice. The sign out front reads that they have one and two bedroom apartments. Its located between S. Front St. and S. Main. So if anyone is looking for an alternative to living so close to campus you should check it out. The neighborhood is much safer than the area around the school. Plus the trolley runs all the way down Main, so you can now ride the trolley to school. :)

living between S. Main and S. Front would be sweet...I can't think of a much better address in Memphis, really.

We love it here in the S. Main area. I work at UTM and it only takes me 10 minutes to drive here during the morning rush hour. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, and Beale is only a short walk away. If any of you will be in Memphis this weekenf you should come check out the S. Main Arts Festival this Sat. from, I think, 10 to 6pm. I hear they have local music, local vendors and restaurants set up selling their food and wares. They say they had 10,000 last year and expect more this year, so it sounds like it is pretty cool. Anyone see 21 grams? Many of the 'city' scenes were filmed right here in the S. Main area. The bar scene were she gets hammered was filmed at Ernestine and Hazels.

Does anyone have a website or phone number for Ambassador Commons?

The waitlist will move around mid to early May when people start sending in their confirmation of attendence. Whenever the number of people in the class drops below 150, they call someone up from the waitlist (hopefully it is me).

For anyone interested in the Ambassador Commons the number is 901-521-8100. It basically takes up the block between Talbot and Walnut(?). The complex consists of 3 buildings, from what I can tell. It looks like they are going to have gated/fenced-in parking. Most the apts have small terraces. Just think you could have Blues City bumbs serenading you from the street every morning. :laugh: I know the old Ambassador's address is S. Main St. and they have renovated that building and the building behind it. The other building looks brand new but I could be wrong. The world famous RAFORD's HOLLYWOOD DISCO is right at your doorstep, not to mention the Green Beetle and Frank's Liquors. :thumbup:

For all you accepted people out there:

Have there been any mailings from UTHSC that I may have missed over the past two months? Any deadlines looming? (I just got finished moving to town, but I know that a lot of our stuff--including mail--was lost along the way.)

Thanks,

--Funkless

well the fin aid office sent a letter to my parents house in knoxville. it was sent march 26th but i didn't get until about a week ago when i was in for easter. the letter read that they need my parent's income tax return forms for 2003 and some asset form to be filled out. this sort of pissed me off b/c i am an independent yet they still want my parents info, i don't get it. i am not sure if this was a mass mailing letter or if my account was just incomplete. but thats all i have received thus far

Okay, okay.....so I've been obsessively checking this thread for weeks now, and have finally decided to post that I am waitlisted. :( Oh, well....now I'm just waiting around and hoping, hoping, hoping that I will get in!! I love this school sooooo much!!! :love:

hang in there h2coop, the wlist should start moving in about three weeks. did you find out what tier your in yet? if in the top 1/3rd you should probably start making plans to attend but you never know for sure what will happen. be glad your not here today, its raining really hard right now. g'luck

Mison,

I have not received that letter, but I am also concerned about whether or not they will be considering my parent's income. I am 26, and my parents are close to retirement age, so you can bet that I will not ask them to help in this endeavor at all- except for a bit of emotional support! I just called the FA office to see how they were moving on FA awards, and she said it would be another 2-3 weeks. For all of you who are working full or part time, you may have noticed that the Estimated Family Contribution amount from the Student Aid Report was high. I was shocked when I saw mine! I called to inquire about the amount, and I was informed that the amount would be adjusted (significantly - I hope!) if I provided a letter indicating when my employment would be ending and confirming that I would not be working while in school.

I know this is not a financial aid forum, but maybe you other UT folks could let me know when you all receive your FA papers? That was I won't feel like a nut calling the office all the time.

Take care everyone!!

I just finished the FAFSA a week or so ago; I hope to hear back in about a week. The gov't said my family contribution should be about 16k! :laugh:

I need to get a loan to live off of for a few months this summer. I don't think I could get a temporary job that could replace my normal income, and I have a whole lot of stuff to take of this summer - finishing a MS, for one.

Anybody interested in having a little get together in Memphis?

I would certainly be interested. My friend is starting the Pharmacy program & the current pharmacy students had them come down for a meet & greet/ informal information session last week. She told me that they gave them tons of advice on coming in to register (how that the day we "register" you need to come early & dress up since they will be taking year book/ ID photos that day (?)) Maybe we can have some current M-1, 2, 3, 4- comment to see if this is the case for med. students too?
But the highlight for her was getting to meet some of the students beforehand. It may seem bizarre to admit, but I would even like to try to find a good group for the gross anatomy lab! I hear you have the option to organize a group instead of being randomly assigned. I am not a "gunner" (I don't even really like the term), but I would just really like to have a strong well rounded group. And it would be wonderful just to meet & socialize.

Sounds fun! Although I am still waitlisted, it would be fun to meet some new faces and (fingers crossed) future classmates.

Should we do a happy hour soon?

Hey Asclepius,

What did you have to fill out the FAFSA for? I thought the whole Full ride thing would take care of most of it.

M

menetoxi

Stop trying to watch me change from ther bushes outside my window.

I signed up for Goodman after being accepted since it's really close to campus and I don't know if I will find a car before school starts. Anyone else is considering this option? Can anyone tell me if it's safe? I'm kind of nervous about moving to Memphis because I have heard so many scary stories about downtown.
Also, does anyone know what the living arrangement is like at Goodman?

Thank you

Dear cakemix...

I too put in a deposit for Goodman for safe measure, but I do not plan on living there.
(There is a UT housing thread under the "Housing" forum too with some good information.) I spoke with a number of students that felt the dorm was not all that beneficial for their mental health. I would venture to think that the downtown/ Mud Island area would be safer than the residence hall, however I do not know the crime stats. My personal choice to live out on Mud Island (ideally with a roommate) centers on my need for greenspace - good places to walk and grab a breath of fresh air while taking a study break. I think that it truly depends upon which type of environment would suite you best. For me, even given the cost savings, if I am unhappy in my surroundings, it can impact negatively on my overall performance.

As far as how the dorm is laid out, I believe it is a quad style with a commons area and four bedrooms- although I have only driven by it on the outside.

There are many apartments downtown that are right on the trolley line and can take you right up to the front of the GEB building, so don't feel like you don't have any options even though you lack a car. Unlimited monthly passes are $15 or so. That is even less than 1 tank of gas! I think the trolleys run until 10-11 weeknights and 12-1 am on weekends. I am pretty sure the MTA should have an online schedule or something for you to check out.

Good luck with your search!
Take care!

menemotxi said:
Hey Asclepius,

What did you have to fill out the FAFSA for? I thought the whole Full ride thing would take care of most of it.

M

Cost of living stuff.

cakemix said:
I signed up for Goodman after being accepted since it's really close to campus and I don't know if I will find a car before school starts. Anyone else is considering this option? Can anyone tell me if it's safe? I'm kind of nervous about moving to Memphis because I have heard so many scary stories about downtown.
Also, does anyone know what the living arrangement is like at Goodman?

Thank you

The scary stories are unfounded. Downtown is the safest zipcode in Memphis, actually. There is a lot of security. Car burglary is a different matter, though.

Thank you Irish Rose and Asclepius for your replies.

The fact I'm headed to medical school is slowly sinking in. I don't you about you guys, but I'm a bit apprehensive about becoming a doctor. I'm honored that I will be joining this profession, but on the other hand, I will be responsible for someone else's well being. It's a huge responsibility.

Has anyone got his/her financial aid package yet? I'm still waiting.
Right now, I trying to complete the immunization requirement. Not a big fan of needles though.

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and am really impressed with it all. I'll be at UTHSC in the fall, and am looking forward to it. Is anyone else here on the waiting list at ETSU? I've been wait listed since last September and they haven't told me anything other than to go ahead and send in my financial aid info. If I get into ETSU as well I'll probably still go to Memphis since I heard that only 83% of ETSU's second years passed the USMLE1 on their first try (as opposed to Memphis's 94%). I heard this from a medical student, so I assume it is reliable. I wish all of you luck (especially those that have been wait listed).

leno said:
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and am really impressed with it all. I'll be at UTHSC in the fall, and am looking forward to it. Is anyone else here on the waiting list at ETSU? I've been wait listed since last September and they haven't told me anything other than to go ahead and send in my financial aid info. If I get into ETSU as well I'll probably still go to Memphis since I heard that only 83% of ETSU's second years passed the USMLE1 on their first try (as opposed to Memphis's 94%). I heard this from a medical student, so I assume it is reliable. I wish all of you luck (especially those that have been wait listed).

Welcome to SDN! I actually withdrew my application from ETSU when I received my acceptance to UT, which arrived while I was interviewing at ETSU. I didn't know about ETSU's USMLE pass rate; I chose UT for many other reasons.

So, when do you plan to head down to Memphis?

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted and best wishes to those wait listed.
I see this huge thread about UT Memphis but not very much information about the school. UT Memphis will be the only medical school that I will be applying to in a couple of years unless my husband moves. How is the school in terms of curriculum? I have seen a lot of posts that said UTM has some of the best clinicals. How good is the school if someone wants to pursue academic medicine especially in infectious diseases and travel medicine?
Any information regarding the school will be much appreciated. Also, is the school non-traditional friendly?
Thank you

As for as curriculum goes, the only thing I know of Memphis is that they have condensed the first 2 years of classwork down to about 1.7 years. You take a 4 week block of courses and then have a finals week (during which you take exams on computer at a time you choose) and then you take a clinical week (some sort of preceptorship). After that you continue with this repeating 6 week schedule. The first year students actually begin 2nd year courses around April (which is earlier, to my knowledge, than any other school). This allows for more time to study for the USMLE1. Memphis (to my knowledge) has been going through this curriculum change for a couple of years now. I think it would be an ideal school for anyone, traditional or non. I also know of non-traditional applicants getting accepted. Hope that helps...

travelbug73 said:
Congratulations to all those who have been accepted and best wishes to those wait listed.
I see this huge thread about UT Memphis but not very much information about the school. UT Memphis will be the only medical school that I will be applying to in a couple of years unless my husband moves. How is the school in terms of curriculum? I have seen a lot of posts that said UTM has some of the best clinicals. How good is the school if someone wants to pursue academic medicine especially in infectious diseases and travel medicine?
Any information regarding the school will be much appreciated. Also, is the school non-traditional friendly?
Thank you

UT is very non-traditional friendly; they love non-traditional students. One of my interviewers was an M3 with children and a previous career as a nurse; she appeared to be in her early 30's to me, but I was told that she's a little older than that. Admissions committee member is one of the most esteemed positions a student can have, so yes, they do value non-traditional students. I'm will be one.

The curriculum at UT is okay. They're pretty much average in the country for years one and two. The UT diploma doesn't mean as much on the wall as the experience you will get in years 3 and 4 will set you ahead in residency. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but (I think) about 75% or residency directors rate UT students better or much better than their average residents. That, for the practicioner, makes up for what UT lacks in the classroom and in name-recognition value.

On the other hand, Memphis Bioworks is the governor of TN's favorite project. $70 million has already been allocated to build a research park for UT; I'm sure there will be more matching funds soon. We have a very good cancer center being built that includes a partnership with Jackson labs (the biggest mouse genomics company in the world) and a huge NIH grant. Memphis is also one of the largest orthopedics research centers in the world, for what that's worth to you. Keep in mind that, at UT, you may have the opportunity to work at places like St. Jude, which is one of the best research hospitals in the world. There is some work there done in infectious disease, particularly AIDS. One lab there is working on an AIDS vaccine and has actually had some success...very interesting stuff.

There is an MD-PhD route, but you may consider taking a year between 2nd and 3rd years to travel to a lab of your choice and do some research. I have a friend (MS2) who will be going to WashU to do some research next year.

So, no, UT is not as research intensive as, say, Vanderbuilt, but it is better clinically and there are opportunities to do outside, even extensive, research.

hope that helps