UT Memphis for Fall 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey fellow UT 2008ers... thought I would check into the thread. I live in Memphis and work at St Jude - so hit me up with any questions... I know you kids are having a little get 2gether tomorrow, if you need a tour guide barbie ;) lemme know ~Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Dean of admissions called today and wanted to know if I was interested and then said he'd send the necessary info...so phone before mail to answer your question.

WolfpackRed said:
Hey fellow UT 2008ers... thought I would check into the thread. I live in Memphis and work at St Jude - so hit me up with any questions... I know you kids are having a little get 2gether tomorrow, if you need a tour guide barbie ;) lemme know ~Dave

Dave, will you be coming to the get-together? Are you from Memphis...ie did you grow up here?

By the way, I have at least 2 more people showing up...have yet to hear back from others... total is now 7 or 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
Naa, I grew up in DC - if I grew up in this area I really doubt I'd be living downtown, I'd be out in the 'burbs.... :p Lemme know the details about 2night and I'll try to be there... ~Dave

WolfpackRed said:
Naa, I grew up in DC - if I grew up in this area I really doubt I'd be living downtown, I'd be out in the 'burbs.... :p Lemme know the details about 2night and I'll try to be there... ~Dave

:confused: I grew up here and downtown would be my first choice of places to live. Here's the details...tonight, cafe ole at the corner of Cooper and Young at 6:30.

Asclepius,

Talked to Richard Carman. We're now among his clients. You, also? Thanks for the referral.

--Funkless

funkless said:
Asclepius,

Talked to Richard Carman. We're now among his clients. You, also? Thanks for the referral.

--Funkless

yup...he mentioned that some others of us had contacted him. He says he's been very impressed with our group. I'm really proud. :D

Sounds good, I shall attempt to be there... Do I need to wear all Orange or bring a sign with everyone's SDN name to find them? ;)

Let us all know how the get together went...I'm jealous of not being able to be there.

vandypatty said:
Let us all know how the get together went...I'm jealous of not being able to be there.

Moi aussi.

--Funkless

Are there any other Chattanoogans on here that will be in the Class of 2008?
Just wondering...

Vandypatty... Congratulations!!! :clap: I am sorry that you were not able to make it to our little get-together, but we shall certainly try to do another one this summer.
I am not sure if you are in Nashville, but if you are and would like to meet for coffee sometime, just PM me.

Thank you to everyone who came (I think total count was something like 14-15?). It was very nice to meet fellow classmates, even though the acoustics made table conversation a bit challenging.

Asclepius, please thank all of the students from U of M who came. I am not sure how many of them participate in our little thread here, but it sure was nice to get to meet all of them. Also, we did head out to the Marble Slab creamery in Saddle Creek. It was very nice. I am really impressed with Memphis in general, and I am getting less anxious about relocating.

Hope you all have a great day!!

Thank you very much...I'm glad you guys had a good time and can't wait to meet all of you in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Chattanooga. Actually, Dunlap, but I went to high school in Chattanooga.

Vandy, funkless -
It was a great time, though we missed you... It was funny, I didn't know half of the U of M people that showed up. I've seen Mike and Big around, but have never really gotten to know them.

We should plan something for June as well...maybe at my house. Or a different local Memphis haunt...like Ernistine and Hazel's on S. Main (I think)...it was an old bar and bordello...it's now a bar and still has its several small rooms upstairs that make for great places for small groups to hang out - but once offered privacy for another purpose. :laugh:

I'm glad you found Marble Slab, Irish Rose. It's in a ritzier part of town, more suburban and homogenous...different from midtown or downtown. My wife works part time at one of the stores in Saddle Creek (she takes advantage of the discount).

I know we aren't supposed to have jobs, but I would almost consider something like that... those were fabulous stores!!

Hey guys! I hate I missed the get-together - sounds like it was a good time. Hopefullly I will be able to make it to the next one.

I am keeping my fingers crossed I get a call from Nelson or Diane in the coming weeks!

The get-together sounds like it was fun. Sorry I had to work.

If there's another meetup, lemme know in advance and I'll arrange to be off work. (My wife and I would love to host a small party; we have a pretty big house and we have yet to entertain...)

Well, I can't wait to meet you all.

--Funkless

FYI - I went over to UT today and talked with Dean Strother for a bit... he said that they've taken 18 thus far off the alternate list.... so those waiting it sounds like its doing some significant moving...

What's everyone thinking about for living situations? Anybody send their info to Miss Diane for roomies?

Waitlistees, anyone else heard back yet? You'll let us know when you get the word, right?

:luck: :luck:

Asclepius said:
Waitlistees, anyone else heard back yet? You'll let us know when you get the word, right?

:luck: :luck:

Some of us are still around....

I'll let you know but I'm about 75-80th (maybe shorter now) on that waitlist as of march so I'm not holding my breath. :)

I can't believe that list was like 130 people long! :wow:

I've heard that most schools have a waitlist that is atleast as long as 2/3 of their class size if not a little more. Good luck to everyone that is waiting. :)

Hey you all,

I am trying to put together some numbers for school. I know this may be most suited for the Financial Aid forum, but I would really like to have information that is school specific.

Do any of you know when we will be receiving our Stafford* government loan checks from the school and secondly, that whopping $7,000 for books, does anyone (dear Lord please say yes) know if that includes a new computer & PDA?

Also, have any of you heard of students getting a discount on rent if they paid in advance or in a full lump sum?

Thank you all & best of luck again to those who are waiting to hear!!
:luck:

*edited

Irish Rose said:
Hey you all,

I am trying to put together some numbers for school. I know this may be most suited for the Financial Aid forum, but I would really like to have information that is school specific.

Do any of you know when we will be receiving our government loan checks and secondly, that whopping $7,000 for books, does anyone (dear Lord please say yes) know if that includes a new computer & PDA?

Also, have any of you heard of students getting a discount on rent if they paid in advance or in a full lump sum?

Thank you all & best of luck again to those who are waiting to hear!!

Wow,

I have tons of bad news for you...

First, I can't tell you anything about gov't checks... Second, I dont' think it includes a PC or PDA. Third, when I tried to get that discount, I got a priceless "you are really funny, but I think you're nuts and I'm kind of afraid of you" look.

--Funkless
--Funkless

Ok... Whew!! I called Financial Aid, and spoke with them about that $7,200 book & supply fee for M-1 students.

I am ecstatic to report that the $7,200 includes a $3,000 sub-allocation for a computer and PDA.

Also, I got smart (!) and read the back of the Financial Aid acceptance form. It details that the Stafford loan money will be distributed right after the semester begins. The FA office said that the refund checks are usually available sometime that first week of classes.

So, I hope you all find that helpful.

Take care & have a great day!!!

Oh, my goodness!!
Oh, my goodness!!
Oh, my goodness!!!

I just got the call!! I'm in off of the waitlist! Hallelujah, I'm going to Memphis!!! Eeeek!! I'm really excited, if you can't tell from all the exclamation points! So now when there is another SDN get together, I can actually go! I can't wait for fall, or to meet all of you! My summer is perfect now!
:D :D :D
*clap**clap**clap*

YEAH h2cooper!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that feeling all too well!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Now, call everyone you know.... and that emotional high... guess what... it keeps on going ... I think I am still in shock & I heard in Feb.

:clap: :clap:

congrats! you've got 11 weeks to celebrate care-free before reality and the work that comes with it sets in :p

Does anyone know the first day we have to be there...as far as ceremonies, orientation, first day of classes, etc?

August 9th - Orientation (all week with the white coat ceremony on Friday the 13th evening)
Classes start the following Monday (the 16th)

Hey vandypatty,

Check out the admissions website for all the specifics:

http://www.utmem.edu/Medicine/Admissions/

Your white coat size form is in the New Student Orientation Packet along with all the details about orientation. It is pretty handy, but I suggest downloading it when you open it, otherwise you just end up toggling back and forth from the main document to the links.

Take care!

I talked to Nelson today and it doesn't look so good for me. I am in the middle third of the waitlist and the way it is moving now, (which is the slowest its been in recent years) there is a 95% chance I won't get called up to the big leagues. Now I have to take the friggin MCAT again AND take classes next year

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYY :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Just hang in there and give it another go next year...one year in the grand scheme of things is nothing. I'm sure you'll make it.

Thanks for the info WolfpackRed and IrishRed.

Congrats, h2cooper!! :D

IR...where did you see the mention of $7,000 for books? I received my financial award letter yesterday...no mention of book or designation of what money is allocated for.

TN Aaron...so, the waitlist is moving slow? Ah, bummer. It seems that this is a really tough admissions year. If it doesn't work out this year, try again next year...a year isn't much in the scheme of things...it's already been 5 since I graduated from college. good luck

Mr. Full Ride should be able to blow as much as he wants on books/computer/PDA...

<--------JEALOUS

:D

--Funkless

Asclepius said:
It seems that this is a really tough admissions year.

...which is more evidence for my paranoid worrying about our class being a tough, gunner crowd... Class of 2007 is supposedly really laid back, but 2006 is all uptight. (This was the unsolicited opinion of my tour guides during my interview.)

I really hope they're wrong. I'm starting to stress out.

:scared:

--Funkless

Asclepius,

I have been to what seems like every page on the UT HSC website. It is a little disjointed, so I find bits and pieces of information everywhere.

Here is the link to the FA cost breakdown. You can see that I was really scared about that whole $7,000 going toward books. I had read somewhere else on the UT website that you could roll up the cost of the new computer into the FA money, but I was thinking originally that if the whole $7000 went to books, I would have to shift $2000 out of what I would have allocated for general living expenses to cover the new computer. I am very glad that is not the case.

http://www.utmem.edu/finaid/Medicine.php

TN Aaron, I know what it feels like to be waiting around for that call. All I can say is that I tried to remain "realistically" hopeful and focused on my backup plan just in case.
I ended up having to resort to the backup plan (took 8 hrs of upper level science classes both this past the Fall & Spring), but perhaps it will work out for you. Don't give up hope, but do be prepared, that was my motto!

Asclepius said:
Congrats, h2cooper!! :D

IR...where did you see the mention of $7,000 for books? I received my financial award letter yesterday...no mention of book or designation of what money is allocated for.

TN Aaron...so, the waitlist is moving slow? Ah, bummer. It seems that this is a really tough admissions year. If it doesn't work out this year, try again next year...a year isn't much in the scheme of things...it's already been 5 since I graduated from college. good luck

You got more financial aid? Well Mr. Moneybags, you should take everyone out to dinner or something. Do you know if any other scholarship folks accepted? I know Indy turned it down, Laura was leaning towards Vandy, and Justin was on the fence. I hope Ashley got one.

It?s nice to have SDN as a sanctuary to express our concern for this impending gross financial burden. My co-workers make it seem taboo to discuss the financial logistics of med school tuition and mundane items like food and housing :p , since they only seem to see the MD tag we get in 4 years.

Hey guys, just found out that i will be joining the class of 2008. I am trying to figure out where to live. Anyone know of any good places to live that are within walking distance to the campus. I hate driving...

anyone looking for a roomate?
Thanks!

I'll be living at the Phi Chi house off of Jefferson Ave. It is about a 5 min. walk from campus, but I don't know if they have any more rooms available. There website is: www.utmem.edu/phichi/
They have 28 bedrooms and nice facilities. There are occasional car break-ins and muggings (but that can occur anywhere in Memphis). Overall it seems very safe.
Congrats on getting in and good luck finding housing.

There's not really too much within walking distance - the area around the medical district is kinda shady. The Bristol on Union is right across 240 from the school - but it would be a little bit of a walk. But then there's always student housing if you really want close proximity :rolleyes: .... I'm in Memphis now and I think I'm looking for a roomie to cut costs for the coming school year, so maybe we can figure something out. -David

Congrats jaceperkerson!!!

It is wonderful to see how our class is taking form!!

There is a thread about UT housing here on SDN under the "Wanted & Housing" section titled "UT Memphis student housing?".

There is a fair amount of information in that one as well as some comments made earlier in this (growing!!) thread.

An update on the Bristol- it is brand new (!!!), really nice and close to school, but I am not sure if I would feel comfortable walking back & forth at night (male or female).
Check out the downtown housing listings on this website- many of them are close to the trolley line ($15/mo unlimited rides).

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/live/live_housing.asp

Take care!!

menemotxi said:
You got more financial aid? Well Mr. Moneybags, you should take everyone out to dinner or something. Do you know if any other scholarship folks accepted? I know Indy turned it down, Laura was leaning towards Vandy, and Justin was on the fence. I hope Ashley got one.

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah dude, I been po grad student! So, I got the schollys then unsubsidized stafford to make up for the remainder of the $38,500.

I figured Indy would turn it down...he was already going military and had a full ride, no? He seemed like a really good guy; I'm honestly disappointed that he won't be coming. I didn't have much of a chance to talk to Lara...she interviewed with the same people you and I did, right?

I can't remember her name, but the smallish girls with brown hair...she's married and her husband came as well...she was in the "hot seat" from what I was told. I'll probably drop by UT admissions today since I need to go to the UT library to do a little research today.

So, I guess it's official now that you will be going to Emory, huh. (you no good traitor, bastard!! :smuggrin: :laugh: )

funkless said:
...which is more evidence for my paranoid worrying about our class being a tough, gunner crowd... Class of 2007 is supposedly really laid back, but 2006 is all uptight. (This was the unsolicited opinion of my tour guides during my interview.)

I really hope they're wrong. I'm starting to stress out.

:scared:

--Funkless

yeah....I'm a little scared too. But I'm hoping that "good student" doesn't neccessarily mean gunner. The people I've met so far don't seem to be gunnerish at all, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Irish Rose implanteded a bug in my leg under the table at Cafe Ole so that she can monitor my study habits. :laugh:

(affected southern accent) "Why, what on earth could you mean by that Mr. Asclepius? A woman need not resort to such trifles! I assure you, I am much more subtle!"
(Just kidding!!!)

Really, I am a bit nervous too, & I am most definitely not (emphasis) a "gunner". I have read some interesting thoughts on the "etymology" of that word. I don't even like the term! It is very rough sounding.

I tend to only compete with myself. I figure there are tons more folks more "naturally" intelligent than I, and I figure having been an English major I will have to work harder at first.

^ That's what they all say, "I'm not a gunner..."

Uh huh, right right...

I just got back from a day trip today up to Memphis to check out the housing situation. I talked to a second year and he said if he had to do it over again, he'd move out to Mudd Island. The crime seems nonexistent out there plus they've got some really nice places (not cheap though). I think he lived in Midtown and the general consensus was that at some point, you just knew your place was going to be broken into....gotta love Memphis. The other thing was that b/c we're going to be spending so much time at the school anyway, getting away from the downtown area was kind of like a breath of fresh air...plus the running trails are great.

Also...what do you guys say we take a class trip to Tunica before classes start and bet some of that precious loan money...putting it all on red seems like a good idea all around.

^haha, tuiton money? sounds safe to me. double your money = second year paid for...