UTAH Acceptance?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my acceptance in the mail on Saturday. I was nervous because I thought it was a rejection. Good luck to everybody!

awesome congrats to both of you!!

slcdoc... when did you interview???

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all those with acceptances. I want it so bad it is making my stomach hurt.

I hear ya. The waiting is killing me! Is it just me, or is sdn going really slow...

Congrats to all those with acceptances. I want it so bad it is making my stomach hurt.

I feel exactly the same way. That's great that acceptances have already started coming, I can now look in the mailbox without fear that a letter from Utah is there. Here's to hoping that every sdner on this thread gets accepted at Utah!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Archidoc- I interviewed sometime in late September. I don't remember the exact day though.

Archidoc- I interviewed sometime in late September. I don't remember the exact day though.

thanks! what a long wait you had!
hope we all get to join you next fall :)

also, does anyone know how exactly the process works now? like, are acceptances sent in two waves? everyday? are rejections sent out at the same time, or do they wait a couple more weeks for those? so on, and so forth..

I can tell you that last year, I didn't receive my rejection for about 3 weeks or so after acceptances went out, although that was because I was being considered for the waitlist (or so I'm told). I'm a bit surprised that a second round of acceptances went out. From what I understood, it once in January, once in march/april. I was under the impression that the acceptances were sent out in batches, while rejections were sent out throughout.

Well maybe that IS the case, and we missed out on the second batch???:scared:

It is probably unlikely that the recent few days represented the second batch of acceptances. Only two sdn regulars posted acceptances and I haven't heard of many acceptances by other applicants that I know. I would imagine a larger number of people jumping for joy when they put out the bulk of their acceptances. (Hope I'm one of them). Good luck to all!

FWIW, I received an acceptance postmarked March 14th too. Just was a bit lazy to post it :p

Taliesinrk... I go to the U and work at the U; and I hear that they are having a hard time finalizing the class. We may have to wait up until the first week of April for the bulk of the letters to go out. So, sit tight :)

Taliesinrk... I go to the U and work at the U; and I hear that they are having a hard time finalizing the class. We may have to wait up until the first week of April for the bulk of the letters to go out. So, sit tight :)

Thanks for the info. I think the hardest part about this is the not knowing.

How funny. But you know, they probably have a 90% solution, so the respectable thing to do would be to notify those ones you are sure about, and then mull over the remaining 10% for a couple extra weeks.

so then is there any way to know how many/to whom these mid-march acceptances went out? also, any rejections?

i'm not sure. However, I doubt they would give us that info; because if Dr. Samuelson didn't give it up at that meeting the other week, I doubt the staff in the admissions office would.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if any students from Idaho have been accepted?

Wow. Hey everyone from Utah, check out this article from the tribune.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8620810

Looks like tuition for medical school at the U may double. Crap. I wonder how likely this is to happen.

Aspiringdoc, I have seen that same article and actually just posted about it in another thread last night.

Does anybody have any "inside" information on this? Would these changes take effect starting in the fall of 2008? This is some scary sh1t. I assume that most public schools in the country would have to increase their tuitions as well though.

Is there someone we can write and protest this to? Probably our congressmen.

Aspiringdoc, I have seen that same article and actually just posted about it in another thread last night.

Does anybody have any "inside" information on this? Would these changes take effect starting in the fall of 2008? This is some scary sh1t. I assume that most public schools in the country would have to increase their tuitions as well though.

Is there someone we can write and protest this to? Probably our congressmen.

I will absolutely be writing to my congressman about this, and I HIGHLY recommend that other people do the same. I hate to say it, but if I came out of med school with over a quarter million in debt, it would definitely make me rethink medicine as a profession.

The worst part is that Utah's former governor Leavitt is behind all of this, as he helped to get this going. You'd think he'd have some idea...

hey moe4eva if you find out the email to our Utah congressmen will you post it here. That way maybe more people will write to them.

I will absolutely be writing to my congressman about this, and I HIGHLY recommend that other people do the same. I hate to say it, but if I came out of med school with over a quarter million in debt, it would definitely make me rethink medicine as a profession.

The worst part is that Utah's former governor Leavitt is behind all of this, as he helped to get this going. You'd think he'd have some idea...

It would just be like going to a private school. No doubt, medical students would bear the brunt of an increase, but the school would likely have to cut other costs as well. I really think there is no way tuition will go up by 27k in a year...just won't happen. It is the administration just throwing some scary numbers out there to get the public involved.

And by the way, shouldn't they be sending out some letters soon?

hey moe4eva if you find out the email to our Utah congressmen will you post it here. That way maybe more people will write to them.

Here, this website should help.

elderjack21 said:
It would just be like going to a private school. No doubt, medical students would bear the brunt of an increase, but the school would likely have to cut other costs as well. I really think there is no way tuition will go up by 27k in a year...just won't happen. It is the administration just throwing some scary numbers out there to get the public involved.

And by the way, shouldn't they be sending out some letters soon?

Yes, well, unfortunately I am not privately wealthy, and becoming a physician definitely won't make me such. The fact that they would have to "cut other costs" is an absolute possiblity. So then the quality of my education will be affected, along with an increase in tuition. So now I can't afford it AND I won't be as well prepared for a residency. Nice.

And yes, letters should be coming out in about 1-2 weeks. Again, good luck all!

Yes, well, unfortunately I am not privately wealthy, and becoming a physician definitely won't make me such.

Although I have been really resisting the thought of it, I am finally starting to succumb that any way I slice it…the military scholarship may be the best road for me to tread given how much school is going to cost me (I am OOS, at least for the first year at Utah)

Although I have been really resisting the thought of it, I am finally starting to succumb that any way I slice it…the military scholarship may be the best road for me to tread given how much school is going to cost me (I am OOS, at least for the first year at Utah)

If I were single, I'd absolutely go this route. Your schooling is paid for, you earn more money during a residency, and if you choose to go into an active war zone, the training cannot be beat (unfortunately). However, my fiancee is vehemently opposed to the military, and does not want to have to move around for another 4 years. I really can't blame her, since she'll be a practicing professional as well and wants to become established. So if I want to stay with her, the military is out.

I firmly believe that the military scholarship route is financial amazing and makes perfect economic sense for a medical student. The one hang up I have is that you must apply to their specific military residencies (depending on what branch you are in) and if they don't have what your looking for, then too bad. Only if you are not accepted into any of the military residencies can you then apply to other residencies which gives them some say in what you can specialize in. I know I would still have some control or preference but I am absolutely terrified of getting having to get into a residency that I would not enjoy but is the only option I have because of the military route

I firmly believe that the military scholarship route is financial amazing and makes perfect economic sense for a medical student. The one hang up I have is that you must apply to their specific military residencies (depending on what branch you are in) and if they don't have what your looking for, then too bad. Only if you are not accepted into any of the military residencies can you then apply to other residencies which gives them some say in what you can specialize in. I know I would still have some control or preference but I am absolutely terrified of getting having to get into a residency that I would not enjoy but is the only option I have because of the military route

A little oversimplified, but in general yes. I can only speak to the army and air force side of things. The army has just about every speciality available to medicine, and the match rates currently are very high (this isn't recruiter BS I am feeding you). Air Force not so much, but there are more opportunities for civilian residencies in the AF (also more options for not getting a residency period as well in the AF). But, if you are going to be ueber specialized, you probably wouldn't want to go the military route for a number of reasons. If you are doing something more ordinary, EM, primary care, general surgery, etc, then it isn't all bad.

Anyway, I think HPSP is a great route to go if you have a family as I do (20k signing bonus, 1900 a month stipend, health insurance for the student paid for, books, fees, and tuition paid for, extra pay during residency...and a payback of 4 years post residency making 110-130k a year, which isn't bad with no debt from school or residency).

If I was single I would just suck up the debt and not worry about, but I have other obligations as a family man. The military route allows me to continue saving for retirement immediately upon finishing school and also makes it so I am not on welfare going through school (which I think just isn't right for a future doctor...although I see it all the time).

All that said...I still havn't signed on the dotted line to so speak and am keeping my options open until the last second. There are some large disadvantages to going the military route...as there are to being 300k in debt...

Anyone know if any students from Idaho have been accepted?
I am from Idaho, but I haven't heard anything, nor have I talked to anyone else who has been accepted or rejected. I wonder if they decide on the Idaho applicants all at once?

Hey Moe4eva, what did you do between this year and last that made you a more competitive candidate? I mean last year, you just barely miss the waitlist, and this year, you were one of the first people accepted. Big MCAT improvement?, some sexy new EC's? Interview coaching? Please tell all your secrets, because my inner pessimist is already convinced that I'll be applying next year.

Thanks

Hey Moe4eva, what did you do between this year and last that made you a more competitive candidate? I mean last year, you just barely miss the waitlist, and this year, you were one of the first people accepted. Big MCAT improvement?, some sexy new EC's? Interview coaching? Please tell all your secrets, because my inner pessimist is already convinced that I'll be applying next year.

Thanks

haha, to tell you the truth, it's strange to be in the position I am. I really still can't believe it. There wasn't any one thing I worked exclusively on, but rather I tried to make myself better overall. What I tell my friends is that the biggest thing I can recommend is that if you don't get in (and don't count yourself out yet), is to go talk to Dr. Samuelson. I think I can pretty much thank him for my acceptance. He sat down with me for around 30-40 minutes and discussed every weakpoint of my application and what I could do to fix it. I came out of the room, and immediately left myself a message with everything he told me. I then got to work fixing what he told me to. This will of course be different for every person, but I'll be happy to list the biggest improvements I believe helped me to gain acceptance:

-The biggest thing he told me was that the committee wanted me to have experience WORKING in a hospital environment, and EMS wasn't enough. I'd shadowed in a hospital (as we all have if we've applied), but he said that the committee was concerned I had a glorified view of being a physician from working EMS. Not true, but knowing the need to show them this so I quit my job with the UFA and went to work at a hospital. It worked nicely since I was moving with my fiancee anyway, so I considered it a fresh start. I worked first as a phlebotomist, then as an ER Tech. Don't ever work as a phlebotomist...

-My primary and secondary applications didn't touch on what Dr. Samuelson thought were the important parts. I tried to make mine a narrative on my first go, which turned out to be the wrong way to go for me. In my second round of apps, I kept the message the same, but completely redid my primary and secondary applications. I'd be more than happy to share specifics, but I'm guessing that can get kind of tedious.

-I applied earlier, which I HIGHLY recommend. The first time around, I didn't get my secondary complete until November, and interviewed in December. This year, my secondary was turned in mid Sept., complete late Sept.. (letter writer didn't turn in a letter and I had to have them resend). I interviewed in Oct. This may or may not have made a difference, but certainly didn't hurt (I do believe applying late with avg. stats like mine hurts).

-I retook the MCAT, and believe it or not, actually did worse! I won't go into specifics since I don't want to make excuses, but that part made me wonder if I should apply at all. Thank goodness I did better on the one part that I needed to, and thank goodness the U takes the best score in each section. I still want to retake the MCAT one more time because I know I can do better, but my fiancee won't let me (she says it's a waste of money that we don't have...:confused:)

-I really didn't work a lot on interviewing. Dr. Samuelson said both of my interviewers recommended me for admission, which made me feel better about myself. This year though I read a whole lot of the interview feedback on SDN, which actually almost backfired on me. I hate overpreparing, since I think you can definitely tell, and my MS4 interviewer read questions WORD FOR WORD from the SDN database. I had to hide a laugh the entire time, and tried to come up with slightly different points so that it didn't sound rehearsed (which it unfortunately was). Apparently I did a good enough job though.

-I took chances, which is something I didn't do the first time around. For example, in my activities, I listed fostering kittens and described why this was added since it's unusual. My faculty interviewer and I talked about this activity alone for a good chunk of the interview. He was actually someone I hope teaches at some point, because he was just awesome. With my MS4, he asked me one of those "who would you choose to let live" kinds of questions, and I answered the opposite of how everyone else had answered (according to him), and I justified that answer. This isn't to say that taking chances are a good idea, especially since I considered mine to be more of "what do I have to lose" than "oh yeah, this will make them look at me," but it worked out.

-A bit more research. Nothing groundbreaking, and I still hate bench work.

Oh, and I wore a different shirt on interview day, but still wore the same pin stripe suit. I think the shirt is really what pushed me over the edge. You should probably disregard all of the above. :D

Like I mentioned somewhere in the above, this is probably too much info, but if you need it, I can clarify any of the above since it's late and I make less sense when it's late.

EDIT: D*** I rambled on, sorry about that. I usually don't write that much.

That was very helpful. I hope they don't see the same problems with my work as a paramedic as they did with your UFA experience. I don't quite understand why working EMS would give someone a glorified view of being a doctor. I would think that not working in health care at all would more likely result in an inaccurate perception of work as a physician. I guess I shouldn't worry about it now though, because there's nothing to do now to convince the committee otherwise.

Anyways, thanks again for your post and I hope to meet you next year as first years.

I am from Idaho, but I haven't heard anything, nor have I talked to anyone else who has been accepted or rejected. I wonder if they decide on the Idaho applicants all at once?

I would like to think they decide on all the Idaho applicants at once, but who knows. I have only met Idaho students that have been rejected, but it has only been three or four. I guess we will find out next week. The pre-health professions office at my school told me they are planning on sending out the letters on March 31 (or that they were going to have the final meeting on March 31 and maybe send them out April 1st; I can't remember... oh well, what are a few days after waiting seven months since interviewing). Good luck to everyone

I would like to think they decide on all the Idaho applicants at once, but who knows. I have only met Idaho students that have been rejected, but it has only been three or four. I guess we will find out next week. The pre-health professions office at my school told me they are planning on sending out the letters on March 31 (or that they were going to have the final meeting on March 31 and maybe send them out April 1st; I can't remember... oh well, what are a few days after waiting seven months since interviewing). Good luck to everyone

Wild to think that they could be sending out a mass of letters in about a week...although I wont be holding my breath.

I just kind of feel like I am in some sort of open-ended relationship here...no closure on what the status of it is you know? (except in this relationship I am cheating...with another school....I should top the analogy)

moe_4eva...
Thanks for the great post! It's encouraging to see that hard work pays off :)
I had a question...in your reapplication year, did you continue taking classes? I've heard taking classes is something they want you to do (so we aren't way from academia for too long)

moe_4eva...
Thanks for the great post! It's encouraging to see that hard work pays off :)
I had a question...in your reapplication year, did you continue taking classes? I've heard taking classes is something they want you to do (so we aren't way from academia for too long)

Ah, yes I did forget to mention that. Dr. Samuelson said that if you do have to reapply, you should absolutely take a class or two so you don't fall too far out of practice in terms of school. These don't need to be science classes, so take what you enjoy. I'm currently enrolled in an online physiology class, and looking into taking a summer psychology class if I have enough money.

Okay, so I just checked my PM box and had a few people that asked me about the essays I had written, so I figured it might help a few other people if I just post it here. I'm glad you all found the other part helpful, I'm not very competitive, so I have no issues helping other people get in and learn from my mistakes if I can. Hopefully this will help as well, as the person that sent me the question actually brought something Dr. Samuelson had told me that I completely forgot about. Again, if you don't get in (and here's hoping otherwise, since I've come to like many of you and I haven't even met you yet!), go talk to Dr. Samuelson. He is without a doubt the best resource out there for Utah.

I was reading your post on the utah acceptance thread and was interested in how you reworked your essays. Would you mind giving me specifics on what you did? I know Dr Samualson always says that what you learned from an experience is more important than what you did, is this the case with the essays as well?

You're absolutely right in that Dr. Samuelson told me that what I learned from an experience is just as important, if not more important, than the experience itself. So important, in fact, that in my second round of apps, I actually wrote two sentences on a couple of items, and spent the rest of the time explaining why that experience was important. This is a big part of what I didn't do my first time around. As I mentioned, originally I wrote my essay as a narrative and at the end, spent a paragraph explaining what I learned from my experiences as a whole and how those would make me a good physician. This isn't what they're looking for. Each paragraph\experience should include at a minimum a couple of sentences and usually a whole paragraph explaining what you learned from that experience, and how that makes you a better candidate.

With things like research, he said that they are really looking for just a couple of things. He said that you should state your hypothesis, your results, and your conclusion, along with what you learned. Any more is just padding that is looked over.

As for the secondary essay, the information he gave to me was specific to my application, but just in case it helps, I'll tell you what he told me. He actually picked out one sentence that I had written on how I believe medicine should involve treatment of the whole person and not just the disease, and told me that I should develop my entire essay around that. I did, although I still kept in mind that each experience I put into it had to have a description as to how it was important.

Finally, I got word from Utah today. It was mailed out on the 19th of March (I am living in Canada right now).

I am so happy to finally know where I will be going...one less decision to make.

Cheers and best of luck to the rest of you waiting to hear from Utah!

-ej21

Finally, I got word from Utah today. It was mailed out on the 19th of March (I am living in Canada right now).

I am so happy to finally know where I will be going...one less decision to make.

-ej21

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck though!

-ej21

Sorry to hear that bro! I panicked when I saw your message and went and checked my mail. Nothing. Good luck!

-ej21

Elder,
Sorry to hear the news, best wishes throughout your medical education and congrats on acceptances at other institutions

-ej21

Best of Luck Mayn

this is interesting though. no one else has heard anything from the U? I would have thought a couple others would have had that "early" accept./reject. in mid-march

If you look at last years thread, people knew at this point. This is so frustrating: I just want to get on with my life.

Hey what other choices does everyone have in case the U is a no go? For instance, I've been accepted at a couple of DO schools that are both right by family but the U is by far my first choice (as I assume for those that check this thread religiously).

i hope we all get to hear some good news soon!

If you look at last years thread, people knew at this point. This is so frustrating: I just want to get on with my life.

This has already been discussed. Last year there were A LOT less applicants, probably since that was the last year of the paper-based MCAT and with the inroduction of the computer-based MCAT, it allowed for more people to take the test/apply/etc. Don't worry, apparently decisions will be sent out within the next week or so.

I'm with you though, last year the wait was agonizing. I'd prepared for it this year, although I'm glad I don't have to go through it!

Hey what other choices does everyone have in case the U is a no go? For instance, I've been accepted at a couple of DO schools that are both right by family but the U is by far my first choice (as I assume for those that check this thread religiously).

If the U is a no go? I was accepted to five DO schools as well and narrowed my choice down to OUCOM. I'm on the waitlist at one other MD school, so that might pan out as well. I'm not very excited about going to OUCOM however. Not that it's not a great school, but it requires a 5 year contract to practice in Ohio for out-of-staters. Granted the contract will also be fulfilled with a residency in Ohio (of which their are some outstanding residency opportunities) and I may get a scholarship to cover tuition for all four years, but the prospect of being away for so long is nerve racking. I'm really hoping the U pulls through.

I've been accepted to "my" state school - IU. But, I feel like Utah should be home, so I'd much, much rather go there (even though I think IU is pretty highly regarded)

If the U is a no-go this year, I might be in trouble. I'm on SLU's alternate list so that might work out, but they won't tell me where I sit on the list (it's confidential). I hope this doesn't sound too cocky, but I really didn't think it would be this hard to get accepted to medical school. Anyways, I hope it's just one more week and then we can all get back to making some plans for the future. I hope all those sdners neurotic enough to check this thread several times daily are successful in gaining admission (that includes me).

Thanks for the tips moe_4eva, I went to a talk by Dr Samuelson today about the personal statements:D Anyone else was at the AED talk today?

btw, Dr Samuelson said he has been busy signing letters today so those of you waiting might be getting some more news soon.

Thanks for the tips moe_4eva, I went to a talk by Dr Samuelson today about the personal statements:D Anyone else was at the AED talk today?

btw, Dr Samuelson said he has been busy signing letters today so those of you waiting might be getting some more news soon.

Gosh, I can only hope...