VA HPSP (Physician)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! I submitted around the same time. Just wondering, is there something we’re supposed to do after it says “application accepted”? Or do we just wait for them to update? Mine’s been sitting on application accepted since the day I submitted
Hey did yours update yet? I saw you posted yesterday

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone tell me about how long it takes to receive a final offer after signing the tentative offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I recently got offered the scholarship (woot woot). I was wondering, has anyone done the math on the salary that we should expect to earn after residency? I know its widely dependent on your specialty but any idea would help. Since this program is new to physicians, its hard to quantify the downsides. May have to wait 5-10 years down the line before we know.
PS: I'm still interested in working with the VA one way or another. I've read many physicians comments on life at the VA and minus the occasional bureaucracy It seems like a very awesome place to work. I just wonder whether financially speaking, taking loans may be better than the scholarship and vice versa.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if applying around this time of year is worth it? Or should I wait till next April?

Does anyone know if applying around this time of year is worth it? Or should I wait till next April?
You could apply now if you want. You’ll either be selected for this fall or deferred to next spring.

Hi guys, I recently got offered the scholarship (woot woot). I was wondering, has anyone done the math on the salary that we should expect to earn after residency? I know its widely dependent on your specialty but any idea would help. Since this program is new to physicians, its hard to quantify the downsides. May have to wait 5-10 years down the line before we know.
PS: I'm still interested in working with the VA one way or another. I've read many physicians comments on life at the VA and minus the occasional bureaucracy It seems like a very awesome place to work. I just wonder whether financially speaking, taking loans may be better than the scholarship and vice versa.

Check USAJobs.gov for salaries!

I was wondering how many of you would accept the NHSC (National Health Services Corps) Scholarship over this VA HPSP scholarship. I've been selected for the VA Scholarship, but haven't heard back from NHSC yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering how many of you would accept the NHSC (National Health Services Corps) Scholarship over this VA HPSP scholarship. I've been selected for the VA Scholarship, but haven't heard back from NHSC yet.
In the same position. I personally think I’m gonna stick with the VA incase I decide not to go primary care/family medicine. Also worried about being forced into lower quality of life living situations going NHSC. Could also be the case for the VA but seems like there will be better options overall.

I submitted on 6/11 but it's been sitting at "application packet accepted" since then. Did anyone else submit around the same time and are still waiting to hear back?

In the same position. I personally think I’m gonna stick with the VA incase I decide not to go primary care/family medicine. Also worried about being forced into lower quality of life living situations going NHSC. Could also be the case for the VA but seems like there will be better options overall.
Yeah, dermatology will still be a possibility with the VA scholarship and if we take the NHSC scholarship, then we get the jobs with the highest-need scores which often means prisons. I would rather work at a VA hospital than a prison or Indian reservation in South Dakota.

What kind of essay questions do they ask and how long are they?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of essay questions do they ask and how long are they?
basically why you wanna be a VA doc and what special qualities/experience you have that will make you a good VA doc

Mr. Dixon sent out an e-mail last week talking about possible expanded funding for people on the alternate list. Has anyone received any other updates?

I'm guessing my chances for this scholarship are pretty thin. Just submitted my application yesterday so I'm assuming it's either an alternate list spot or a rejection. For those of you on the alternate list, would you need to reapply next cycle if you're not taken off? Or would your application automatically transfer over to the next cycle?

Hi everyone, I have a question. If you accept this scholarship will you be allowed to do a fellowship after residency?

I have, but I got placed on an alternate list as of this morning :( Trying to find out why
Sorry to hear that. If I can ask, what was the turnaround time from when you submitted the application? Thanks in advance.

How was filling out the app?? If you don’t mind me asking
So, I opened it up 1/14 and was able to fill it out and get my references done pretty quickly, but it took some time to get the academic verification done. It was quite a tedious exercise for the school to do. Other than that it was fairly simple. There are a few essay questions (250 words each) that ask about why VA and your aspirations as a future doctor. The online format and interface is super simple to use as well!

• Love
So, I opened it up 1/14 and was able to fill it out and get my references done pretty quickly, but it took some time to get the academic verification done. It was quite a tedious exercise for the school to do. Other than that it was fairly simple. There are a few essay questions (250 words each) that ask about why VA and your aspirations as a future doctor. The online format and interface is super simple to use as well!
Whew okay, doesn’t sound too bad. Well hopefully you hear some good news soon since it’s been scored! (Whatever that means haha)

Whew okay, doesn’t sound too bad. Well hopefully you hear some good news soon since it’s been scored! (Whatever that means haha)
For sure. Info on their website and SDN hasn't helped me figure out what that means:rofl:

Edit: It looks like after it's scored there is a decision that comes a few days after or so. We'll see! Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Sorry to hear that. If I can ask, what was the turnaround time from when you submitted the application? Thanks in advance.
So I submitted on Friday, got scored on Monday, and then heard about the alternate list on Tuesday. The reason they gave me for their decision was that while my app was competitive, they are awaiting further funding and I will get re-evaluated in the next 3 months or so. It was worth a shot. Good luck! It is possible they do have some funding so likely that they may give offers still (just not to me yet lol). Let me know if you hear back :)

And no, definitely not a lot of info about the application process and timeline.

So I submitted on Friday, got scored on Monday, and then heard about the alternate list on Tuesday. The reason they gave me for their decision was that while my app was competitive, they are awaiting further funding and I will get re-evaluated in the next 3 months or so. It was worth a shot. Good luck! It is possible they do have some funding so likely that they may give offers still (just not to me yet lol). Let me know if you hear back :)

And no, definitely not a lot of info about the application process and timeline.
Thanks for the info! That’s kind of disappointing that they don’t have funding? Did they send you an email or was it just updated on your application portal?

Thanks for the info! That’s kind of disappointing that they don’t have funding? Did they send you an email or was it just updated on your application portal?
They sent an email when I inquired if there was any factor that lead to me on the alternate list. This was so that I could maybe make some improvements for another application

My understanding that it's still a relatively new HPSP compared to the other branch HPSPs which have A LOT of funding. So it looks like their funding may be renewed for additional applicants in the next 3 months (just speculating based on their email). I do see from previous forums that a good amount did get an offer in May after being on the list for about 2 months. So I still have some (very little) hope lol

• Love
My understanding that it's still a relatively new HPSP compared to the other branch HPSPs which have A LOT of funding. So it looks like their funding may be renewed for additional applicants in the next 3 months (just speculating based on their email). I do see from previous forums that a good amount did get an offer in May after being on the list for about 2 months. So I still have some (very little) hope lol
Very helpful. I thought I was being proactive by submitting it before the rush in the Spring. I guess we'll see.

Hey :) Did you hear back about anything for your app?

Hey :) Did you hear back about anything for your app?
The big NO for me. Will probably try again next year as an MS1. I asked why and they sent me back something super generic, so couldn't say why.

• Care
The big NO for me. Will probably try again next year as an MS1. I asked why and they sent me back something super generic, so couldn't say why.
I'm sorry :( but yes, definitely try again! Do well the first semester of med school and apply with a good GPA. It definitely will help :)

I submitted my application for the VA HPSP recently. I am accepted to medical school but I am graduating from my undergrad in April so it is still a conditional acceptance. I emailed Scott Dixon and he said I can apply with conditions but can't get the scholarship unless I have an unconditional acceptance. Do any of you know how this works? If they want to offer me the scholarship but I dont graduate until April will it just say pending or something? Will they wait to score my application until I graduate?

Recently accepted to medical school despite low stats as a veteran. What are the minimums for eligibility for VA HPSP? I’m also applying VR&E and GI Bill stem extension in case they all fall through.

• Love
Recently accepted to medical school despite low stats as a veteran. What are the minimums for eligibility for VA HPSP? I’m also applying VR&E and GI Bill stem extension in case they all fall through.
Congrats!!! From my understanding, you need to have an unconditional acceptance and at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to apply + no delinquencies on payments for federal debts (like student loans).

Congrats!!! From my understanding, you need to have an unconditional acceptance and at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to apply + no delinquencies on payments for federal debts (like student loans).
Interesting 😅 I definitely don’t make the cut in that case. I appreciate the response though.

• Care
Interesting 😅 I definitely don’t make the cut in that case. I appreciate the response though.

This is the official website if you wanna check it out and fact check me!

I submitted my application for the VA HPSP recently. I am accepted to medical school but I am graduating from my undergrad in April so it is still a conditional acceptance. I emailed Scott Dixon and he said I can apply with conditions but can't get the scholarship unless I have an unconditional acceptance. Do any of you know how this works? If they want to offer me the scholarship but I dont graduate until April will it just say pending or something? Will they wait to score my application until I graduate?
To my understanding, your application will be scored as soon as it is received. Your candidacy for the scholarship is at same level just like everyone else. (ex. someone who is already in medical school) And if you are selected, your scholarship will be a tentative offer, pending background check + mobility agreement + final acceptance status. Scott emailed me back saying that, as long as they have a final acceptance update from med school before your start date of medical school, you will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
To my understanding, your application will be scored as soon as it is received. Your candidacy for the scholarship is at same level just like everyone else. (ex. someone who is already in medical school) And if you are selected, your scholarship will be a tentative offer, pending background check + mobility agreement + final acceptance status. Scott emailed me back saying that, as long as they have a final acceptance update from med school before your start date of medical school, you will be fine.
Wow that is so helpful to know! Thanks for your response! For anyone who is curious, I submitted my application on Saturday, it was scored on Monday, now just waiting for the final word!

Did anyone hear back recently?
I heard back yesterday that I am on the Alternate List. Im hoping that is a good sign. I haven't heard of anyone getting a Yes yet, so im assuming they are just giving assigning alternate list, and NO, to people until they get funding for those on the alternate list. But im not too sure, just staying hopeful.

Reactions: 2 users
I heard back yesterday that I am on the Alternate List. Im hoping that is a good sign. I haven't heard of anyone getting a Yes yet, so im assuming they are just giving assigning alternate list, and NO, to people until they get funding for those on the alternate list. But im not too sure, just staying hopeful.
I also heard back yesterday and was put on the Alternate list. I also think it is a good sign due to the lack of funding. I emailed Scott, and he told me that I should hear back by end of March. Finger crossed for both of us and others!