VA jobs - insiders only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Almost 30 new positions just dropped in FL... sadly all are internal transfer only. I’ve noticed more and more VA medical centers adding CBOC DPMs. Good trend.

What does CBOC mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those considering a position in the VA, an updated benefits flyer was just released (they now acknowledge podiatrists in addition to MD/DO and DMD... some other minor updates):

A fantastic career opportunity for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Great thread with good info. I’ll try to avoid multiple postings. Some things have changed since some experiences noted above. Things are being streamlined and standardized. Even more advances for podiatry are currently being championed.
If a particular person is desired for a position, you DO NOT have to post it on USAJobs. Search podiatrist not podiatry. They can hire internally or externally. If it’s posted it’s open to anyone. PGY-3 can apply, and are encouraged to do so, during their residency. They don’t have to wait. There is an expedited process that not all HRs are aware of - through OAA. They don’t meet criteria until graduated - application gets kicked out. OAA steps in to help.
If memory serves me correct The Mission Act was official Oct 2018. Some had a huge jump right away. Some got none. VA dependent. More common that there was a little bump then two years later the majority of substantial salary increases happened - during the normal pay increase schedule. As you can imagine, budgets needed to accommodate the increases. We get annual COLA and nice bonuses.

I graduated in 2004 and got ABFAS within 5 years of graduating and then ABPM 3 years later. Got a raise each time. RRA was just starting back then so not an option for me. My hours are great because we have a great team with shared call and clinic responsibilities. Also, my colleagues are younger with broader scope. They just have more OR cases. We may leave at 4 but inevitably do more in the evenings and weekends. I’m part of a big program and work with our National organizations on behalf of directors and residents. This is part of the flexibility in my career- kicked butt early, honed my skill, pass on directly to residents and grow into more admin.

Loan forgiveness program started in 2007. Residents in VA programs can get in the program and have three of ten years done by graduation.

We have zero Ortho interest in anything below the knee at our facility.

The demographics have changed to include many younger and female vets. This will continue with recent new legislation that will qualify more vets for specialized care.

Not every VA is the same for sure! But to disparage all VAs or a career there is a shame.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Great thread with good info. I’ll try to avoid multiple postings. Some things have changed since some experiences noted above. Things are being streamlined and standardized. Even more advances for podiatry are currently being championed.
If a particular person is desired for a position, you DO NOT have to post it on USAJobs. Search podiatrist not podiatry. They can hire internally or externally. If it’s posted it’s open to anyone. PGY-3 can apply, and are encouraged to do so, during their residency. T

Not every VA is the same for sure! But to disparage all VAs or a career there is a shame.
Doc, is this in regards to when USAJobs list the position as internal / public?

If it is specifically listed as internal then they may be looking for current VA pods to apply or have someone in mind. Some positions are never even posted. It’s easier and less time-consuming to hire internal. Once it’s public anyone can apply. The hiring process takes time. Residents have a specialized path for hiring.

How do CME days work? Do you automatically get 5 days if you are ABPM and/or ABFAS?
I have no idea what “CME days” are. There is CME money for conferences. It’s been a while since I’ve submitted any requests to attend conference. Annual $1,000 for tuition and then reimbursement for travel/accommodations.

I have no idea what “CME days” are. There is CME money for conferences. It’s been a while since I’ve submitted any requests to attend conference. Annual $1,000 for tuition and then reimbursement for travel/accommodations.
A2A02E67-B247-4928-90CE-F0C943382929.png

Above screenshot from one of the current podiatry postings on USAJOBS (Decatur, IL).

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 360531

Above screenshot from one of the current podiatry postings on USAJOBS (Decatur, IL).
At my hospital any one of us can take a week off (5 days) for conference or split the days up however we like. Its a pretty straightforward process. Just let your supervisor know.

Yea instead of a PTO day it’s an administrative day.

If it ever passes, the allowance will be increased to $2,000 and can be adjusted for inflation. Initially I think they were trying for $5,000 for physicians and $2,000 for nurses.

• Love
If it is specifically listed as internal then they may be looking for current VA pods to apply or have someone in mind. Some positions are never even posted. It’s easier and less time-consuming to hire internal. Once it’s public anyone can apply. The hiring process takes time. Residents have a specialized path for hiring.
Thank you so much for all the helpful info! Regarding the “specialized path for hiring” for residents, are you just referring to what you previously mentioned regarding reaching out to OAA? Does one have a leg up as a resident at a VA residency and/or a residency affiliated with a VA hospital in terms of possibly securing a VA career?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for all the helpful info! Regarding the “specialized path for hiring” for residents, are you just referring to what you previously mentioned regarding reaching out to OAA? Does one have a leg up as a resident at a VA residency and/or a residency affiliated with a VA hospital in terms of possibly securing a VA career?
Your should get the best training you can regardless of it is a VA or not.

If you really want an edge, it would have been to serve for 4 years prior to going to college/podiatry school.

Last edited:

If you really want an edge, it would have been to serve for 4 years prior to going to college/podiatry school.
Very true. Wish I had! Came close at one point, but it didn’t end up working out. Would love to serve the veteran community, though!

Our briefing indicated this expedited path for residents WAS NOT dependent upon doing a VA residency. Many VA programs are going to a disbursement agreement with an affiliate. You’re able to work for a Non-VA program but still get some VA exposure so you know if it’s right for you. Big benefit of VA paid residency is loan forgiveness head start. VA wants the best so get that training. And yes, there are great VA programs.

Big benefit of VA paid residency is loan forgiveness head start.

Working for the VA is great. But, the above also holds for any not-for-profit hospitals (i.e., 501(c)(3)-city hospitals in underserved areas).

Use the following link to check if your current or future employer qualifies for PSLF or not: https://studentaid.gov/pslf/employe...B8gCFDGxeLk6XyhNET0JoJLd4Na910fMaAkspEALw_wcB

I agree with Icebreaker32: go to a program where you can learn and get the best training possible (could be a VA). A program that does a little bit of everything, not just one type of surgery. Even if, as an extern, you are not planning on doing any future surgeries, you should still aim to get the best training.

Reactions: 3 users
VA and IHS all qualify for PSLF. In addition VA also has Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) up to 200k forgiveness over a 5 year period BUT very few VAs offer this to podiatrists. Meanwhile IHS offers 25k ( ~18k post tax) a year to pretty much any doctor who applies. At IHS, the first application is effective for two years then after that you just have to sign documents showing proof of your remaining loans on a yearly basis.

Another update:

9 months after I was offered a position from a VA hospital in a highly desirable location they finally came to an agreement on salary. I really do not understand how these hospitals function. If they treat physicians like this I can not imagine what it is like trying to do surgery and treating patients.

Another update:

9 months after I was offered a position from a VA hospital in a highly desirable location they finally came to an agreement on salary. I really do not understand how these hospitals function. If they treat physicians like this I can not imagine what it is like trying to do surgery and treating patients.
I don't miss it. Doing a 0730 Austin-Akin and 0900 fifth digit plasty:

0645 - show up to change into scrubs and pre-op check your pt... nobody at the wait room desk, nobody is in pre-op, empty OR main desk... you go to locker room
0700 - observe your pt sitting in the waiting area trying to call the hospital to see why the door is locked "they told me to arrive at 730, but I came early"
0710 - first PACU RN and front desk staff file in, stay in street clothes, they drop off purses in lounge and head to cafe for coffee
0715 - other scrub techs, circulators, etc start to arrive... you are told "the circulator for your case called in sick, we will figure it out"
0730 - anesthesia arrives... not the one for your patient
0805 - after a breakfast bar and reading the paper, your scrub tech is in the room opening, so you draw locals and check if your sets are there... "I don't usually do podiatry, I will try to ask somebody"
0810 - your patient is changed into a gown, their IV is being botched, you sign the foot and talk to pt and family
0815 - anesthesia for your case arrives in street clothes, checks chart, tells you "case time means patient arrival time here, not starting time," goes down to get breakfast sandwich
0820 - OR staff tell you "we are still trying to figure out who will be your circulator... there is supposed to be a new locum starting today"
0825 - various general, ortho, etc surgeons who know "how it works around here" begin to arrive... most change and then leave pre-op to the OR lounge for a phone call or coffee
0840 - the first case starts... not yours
0850 - your patient is in the room, you help with the prep and cuff and positioning since the circulator has never done podiatry
0905 - case start
1025 - case finish for a case that should have taken 45mins or less if the tech knew AO sets or the RN had set out the dressing
1040-1155 - turnover
1215 - your second case should start, but the scrub tech is at lunch and they will start when they get back... anesthesia goes to cafe right before scrub tech gets back
1245 - second case start
1340 - second case for arthroplasty left 5th digit ends
1405 - arrive to clinic over an hour late, then you remember you work at a govt hospital and appointments are 30min each and no big deal
1605 - tell your MA to give the 5th and last clinic pt an ankle brace and 6wks f/u appt... only to realize all staff poof vanish at 1600

...head home and feel honored you can do so much in one day :)

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Wow, what horrible experiences. I feel quite lucky to never have had to deal with that. I’m guessing stories like that can happen anywhere though.
This is why we come to SDN. To share real stories. Not fairy tales Lee Rogers and the APMA tries to sell us. We aren't buyers anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Another update:

Did they offer you the top range of the salary like you were asking?

Did they offer you the top range of the salary like you were asking?
I already have another hospital job so I just told them no. I felt it would be rather unprofessional to ask about salaries and then tell them I already have a job and I am not coming anyway.

I already have another hospital job so I just told them no. I felt it would be rather unprofessional to ask about salaries and then tell them I already have a job and I am not coming anyway.

I see. I wasn't sure if they just reached out to you and said "Hey! We got approval for the x amount you were asking for! When can you start?"

For those interested, a couple new positions opened today at some decent locations:

Syracuse, NY

Las Vegas, NV (EDRP Eligible)

Obviously difficult to know, but How many applications do jobs like these 2 get?

Obviously difficult to know, but How many applications do jobs like these 2 get?

VA podiatry jobs are highly coveted positions no matter how low the pay is because the benefits and pension are the main attraction. Plus you don’t have to work hard at all since there are no production bonuses. Or the bonuses are minimal. There is no financial incentive to be busy. Also once you get past the two year probation period it would take the jaws of life to get you removed from your position.

“The agency is looking to raise pay caps on VA dentists and podiatrists...” after passing of the PACT act.

Reactions: 4 users
“The agency is looking to raise pay caps on VA dentists and podiatrists...” after passing of the PACT act.

They need to keep candidates interested since onboarding is terribly long at some facilities

a lot of the podiatrist jobs on “usa jobs” shows starting salary at $110,000. Is it really that low?

Nah, that’s not including market pay. Likely you’d be high 100s/low 200s starting off from what i’ve heard.
Most now start at 150K or more. There are definitely some VAs that pay less than others for no apparent reason even with same cost of living and same job duties. You can look up salaries online at what location you are interested in to get an idea.

also you get raises based on inflation correct? I saw the new scale was released and was like 4.3% increase...just signed a 3 year contract with a base salary....guess what that is not inflation adjusted.

also you get raises based on inflation correct? I saw the new scale was released and was like 4.3% increase...just signed a 3 year contract with a base salary....guess what that is not inflation adjusted.
It is not automatic, and not guaranteed to match inflation, but if there is inflation they usually announce a COL increase for federal employees. The upcoming bump will average around 4.6 for most federal employees. It did not keep up with inflation, but at least there was an adjustment. There is also performance pay, essentially there is the ability to earn up to a max 15K bonus each year. Longevity increases of a little over 3K every 2 years (max of 15 times).

Last edited:
It is not automatic, and not guaranteed to match inflation, but if there is inflation they usually announce a COL increase for federal employees. The upcoming bump will average around 4.6 for most federal employees. It did not keep up with inflation, but at least there was an adjustment. There is also performance pay, essentially there is the ability to earn up to a max 15K bonus each year. Longevity increases of a little over 3K every 2 years (max of 15 times).
Yeah inflation is not 4.6 ( thanks JPow). But still an increase vs a set contract. It is how the baseball teams justify 10 year deals....in 10 years A -Aron will look cheap compared to other contracts.

It is most important to have all your documents in place and submit ASAP.

You will deal with with them when you are asked to interview and if offered the job/onboarding. It does not hurt to ask them a question if you have one.

Last edited:

Podiatrist Foot and Ankle Surgeon​

East Orange, New Jersey

Full Time
BE or BC
Clarification from the agency
All qualified candidates encouraged to apply. Open to U.S. Citizens but non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens.

Duties
The duties of a Podiatrist/Foot & Ankle Surgeon involve treating a wide variety of patients of all ages with diseases of the lower extremities. Podiatrists provide medical and surgical care for people with foot, ankle, and lower leg problems. They diagnose illnesses, treat injuries, and perform lower extremities surgery.

Podiatrist responsibilities include conducting foot and ankle surgeries, prescribing orthotics, and applying therapeutic treatments for issues including, but not limited to, chronic and acute conditions that affect the lower leg/foot bones, joints, soft tissues, skin, and nails. A doctoral degree in Podiatric Medicine and practical experience in a clinic or hospital are prerequisites to be considered for this role.

VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package.

Work Schedule: Monday - Friday,7:30 AM - 4:00 PM or at Department discretion
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required

Podiatrist Basic Requirements

• Degree as a doctor of podiatric medicine, or its equivalent, from a school of podiatric medicine approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. Approved schools are United States schools of podiatric medicine approved by the Council on Podiatry Education of the American Podiatry Association in the year in which the degree was granted. ~AND~
  • Completed, or currently completing, residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. VA Podiatrists involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status. Approved residencies are: (1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Council on Podiatric Medical Education, in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or (2) Other residencies and training experiences, or their equivalents, which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training. ~AND~
  • Currently hold, or will hold, a full and unrestricted license to practice Podiatry in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States or in the District of Columbia.

Required Experience:

1. Board Certification/Qualification by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (ABFAS) is required. Surgical logs demonstrating skills in most of the following ADVANCED reconstructive rearfoot and ankle procedures within the last three years will be requested:
    1. Achilles tendon repair
    2. Amputations
    3. Ankle Arthrodesis / Ankle Implant
    4. Ankle arthroscopy, diagnostic/surgical
    5. Ankle stabilization
    6. Charcot foot reconstruction
    7. Circular/delta frames
    8. Complex Lis Franc / Transmetatarsal dislocations/fractures
    9. Complex rearfoot reconstruction including flatfoot and cavus foot
    10. Illizarov external fixation
    11. ORIF of complex rearfoot, ankle fractures, Pilon fractures and or talar dome repairs
    12. Rearfoot arthrodesis (ex. triple, subtalar, and pantalar)
    13. Skin flaps and grafts; Bone graft harvest, foot & le
    14. Tarsal Tunnel decompression
    15. Tendon transfer, midfoot, and rearfoot
2. Surgical Fellowship completion preferred

They give you like a 10 point preference for veterans. It is meaningless. There is no edge for any of the positions hiring, besides knowing the guy doing the hiring.

Current VA docs: are you allowed flexibility in your schedule? Go to CBOCs more often, start early-leave early, etc.?

Also, when are your last pts scheduled in clinic? I heard last pts can be as early as 3:30?

Most places you have a set tour of duty for each location each day. I would not assume that you would have input for your hours or what locations.

Most common hours being 8-4:30 or 7:30-4

Last patient is often 3:30, but that does not necessarily mean you can leave early. Every VA has a different culture and much depends on your supervisor also if you can leave early or not if finished with patient care.

Last edited:
Current VA docs: are you allowed flexibility in your schedule? Go to CBOCs more often, start early-leave early, etc.?

Also, when are your last pts scheduled in clinic? I heard last pts can be as early as 3:30?
I work from one location only. Same hours everyday from 8-4:30. Last patient is at 330 and cannot leave early.

• Sad
  • Wow
How soon can one “transfer” to another location once they are in the system? Right away?
My friend transferred to another location. They had to interview at the new place then wait for HR to complete everything which took 2-3 months.