VA jobs - insiders only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I didn't have another community hospital offer that is waiting for a reply this would be a little less frustrating.
Hey all, lurker since before pod school.

I'm sitting on a tentative offer from a VA. Same story as CutsWithFury. I interviewed months ago, received a "tentative" offer 5-6 weeks ago, and getting pestered about HR paperwork without a salary offer yet.

The chief of podiatry explained part of the delay has been talking some sense into HR. They wanted to offer the bottom of the range with the argument that they had 40 applications within days of opening the position. I have been told the chief of surgery now agrees we should be hired at or near what they start their primary care docs and so the offer should eventually come in around 215-230k which would actually be higher than some of their current (largely non-surgical) DPMs. They used SullivanCotter data, ABPM certification and ABFAS qualification, and leadership experience to justify salary.

Regarding the original question in the thread, I was told I ended up in their top 5 candidates because of my interviews and high volume surgical logs in residency and since, and then that my military background took me the rest of the way. This is a full-sized VA in a desirable metro area affiliated with a top tier MD school. It does not have an affiliated podiatry residency.

I'm pretty conflicted on whether or not to take the job. I have VA experience from residency and have spent several years since residency in military medicine which is actually pretty similar. I know I could weather the administrative bureaucratic crap well enough, but trying to decide if I could have lasting satisfaction there. I'm sick of moving my kids around and hope my next job sticks for the long haul.

My other favorite offer is patiently waiting, for now. It's as the first podiatrist at a small (7-10 provider) multispecialty clinic where most of the MDs work mainly as diabetes docs. I would practice how, where and when I want. Even after the benefits, public service loan forgiveness and retirement benefits available through the VA, I think total compensation will end up quite a bit better with the multispecialty clinic once things get up and running.

I feel like I'm deciding between job security and immediate payoff at the VA vs. job flexibility/satisfaction with a delayed payoff in group practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, lurker since before pod school.

I'm sitting on a tentative offer from a VA. Same story as CutsWithFury. I interviewed months ago, received a "tentative" offer 5-6 weeks ago, and getting pestered about HR paperwork without a salary offer yet.

The chief of podiatry explained part of the delay has been talking some sense into HR. They wanted to offer the bottom of the range with the argument that they had 40 applications within days of opening the position. I have been told the chief of surgery now agrees we should be hired at or near what they start their primary care docs and so the offer should eventually come in around 215-230k which would actually be higher than some of their current (largely non-surgical) DPMs. They used SullivanCotter data, ABPM certification and ABFAS qualification, and leadership experience to justify salary.

Regarding the original question in the thread, I was told I ended up in their top 5 candidates because of my interviews and high volume surgical logs in residency and since, and then that my military background took me the rest of the way. This is a full-sized VA in a desirable metro area affiliated with a top tier MD school. It does not have an affiliated podiatry residency.

I'm pretty conflicted on whether or not to take the job. I have VA experience from residency and have spent several years since residency in military medicine which is actually pretty similar. I know I could weather the administrative bureaucratic crap well enough, but trying to decide if I could have lasting satisfaction there. I'm sick of moving my kids around and hope my next job sticks for the long haul.

My other favorite offer is patiently waiting, for now. It's as the first podiatrist at a small (7-10 provider) multispecialty clinic where most of the MDs work mainly as diabetes docs. I would practice how, where and when I want. Even after the benefits, public service loan forgiveness and retirement benefits available through the VA, I think total compensation will end up quite a bit better with the multispecialty clinic once things get up and running.

I feel like I'm deciding between job security and immediate payoff at the VA vs. job flexibility/satisfaction with a delayed payoff in group practice.
One of my VA offers HR department is acting like I didn't ask for salary information for the 10th time each time they contact me to start the onboarding paperwork. I feel like they are ignoring my requests at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
EDRP has doubled since I started so that’s a big consideration in my opinion. I think 240k is available now. Beats PSLF.

... I interviewed months ago, received a "tentative" offer 5-6 weeks ago, and getting pestered about HR paperwork without a salary offer yet...

One of my VA offers HR department is acting like I didn't ask for salary information for the 10th time each time they contact me to start the onboarding paperwork. I feel like they are ignoring my requests at this point.
Yeah, real common theme. This has happened to almost everyone I know who works for the VA or was in contracting. They start getting asked about a start date, background checks, setting up housing or relocation, etc before they get an official offer sheet or contract spelling out salary/benefits. Most still end up taking the job... but sometimes many months after they'd planned to start.

It happened to me with IHS also (I had a one or two page offer sheet but no actual specific contract ever arrived at any point)... and most of those incentives for COL raises, performance eval raise, "we'll help you sign up with the loan repay program," etc that I was told of on my interview tour later disappeared "because of COVID."

I would honestly say that you probably won't get screwed on base salary and will be fine with proceeding with the onboarding as long as you have at least an email or something with your name and the basic numbers. It is a very bad feeling when you already wait an incredibly long time for the govt job, though. I think it is perfectly fine to play hardball and not set a start date until an offer letter or contract is signed; I know a few who did that with success.

They won't change the salary agreed drastically - if at all, but any verbal benefits or "usually they give all the docs 4% every year" or "they will give you max sign/retention bonus since you will do a lot of surgery" or other small benefits talk is just talk... unless it's in your contract, your supervisor decides to enact it, and HR agrees. I was honestly amazed that, for a supposedly high structure and standardized system, the supervisor had so much control and such subjectivity available to them. They can really make your job smooth or frustrating in many ways if they are competent or lazy. The supervisor can defer to HR, and HR can say they are waiting on the supervisor. That game was my main frustration. I also had to prompt my supervisor (and HR) for annual evals finally done months late, CME reimburses stalled (or they'd act like it was doing me a favor to approve reimburse), supply requests often were just ignored, meetings were nonexistent, etc. Every facility is different, but you are very lucky if you get a clearly defined contract and get the evals, benefits, etc done automatically and on time... supervisor being a fair and level-headed person is paramount to the quality of those govt jobs.

Last edited:
Im currently working at a small non-teaching VA medical center and this is my first job out of residency. I didnt do a VA residency. I think my VA is very unique and doesn’t function like most of the VAs we hear on here or see during externships. For example, they allow me to fit in any surgeries throughout the week. My schedule is Monday to Friday with no calls at all. The surgical PAs will see our patients after hours or on wkds if needed. If I have a clinic pt that needs a toe amp, I’ll admit and schedule the sx during my one hour lunch break the next day. I do everything from wounds, nails, hammertoes, ankle fx to TTC fusion. I love doing nails and calluses.. it’s low stress.. I don’t enjoy dealing with surgical patients on a daily basis. I now realize what a pain doing surgery can be and dealing with post op pain and swelling. Even a simple hammertoe surgery post op can be frustrating. To be honest… I like rearfoot cases more than toes!!! I think this VA specifically is well rounded from that standpoint. Are there any VAs out there like this or is this rare? The downside of VA is that your patients are mostly men and old. Underlying mental illnesses. Many of them have chronic foot issues with multiple problems making it so difficult to diagnosis. A lot of them aren’t healthy or compliant to undergo surgery but the best thing about the VA is that you can order shoes, custom inserts, prothestics on anyone and never have to deal with insurance. I can order MRI, EMG, ABIs etc and not worry if or when they’ll get it done. I havent had any issues with upper management. The VA is very strict when it comes to putting in orders for everything and having everything documented which isn’t really a bad thing I must say. So, here’s my experience so far working at a VA… ask me anything!
When did you start applying for VA jobs in residency? Do you think end of PGY1 year is too early to start applying?

When did you start applying for VA jobs in residency? Do you think end of PGY1 year is too early to start applying?
I started applying for jobs in the fall of third year. Yes, PGY1 is way too early for VA jobs. They usually want you to start the following year or earlier if you can. Apply broadly if you can, don’t limit yourself to one area. Try to get as many interviews as you can and start practice interviewing in your second year. Your CV matters but many of us have similar CVs as a resident so spend time practicing your behavioral questions and have a good personality of course. PP interviews were totally different compared to hospital/VA interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Still waiting for a response from my desired VA hospital. It's been 6 weeks since HR called me and offered me the job. But I have not received any onboarding documents or information on salary. I have to assume that if its this slow then the hospital itself is probably a mess correct?

I have really great offer from a hospital in the middle of nowhere that's paying me well. I've been stalling them as much as I can. Really frustrating.

Still waiting for a response from my desired VA hospital. It's been 6 weeks since HR called me and offered me the job. But I have not received any onboarding documents or information on salary. I have to assume that if its this slow then the hospital itself is probably a mess correct?

I have really great offer from a hospital in the middle of nowhere that's paying me well. I've been stalling them as much as I can. Really frustrating.
Why do you prefer the VA versus the hospital? Im assuming the hospital is paying more? 6 weeks is way too long! Did you contact your chief of surgery/chief of pod or whoever interviewed you?

Why do you prefer the VA versus the hospital? Im assuming the hospital is paying more? 6 weeks is way too long! Did you contact your chief of surgery/chief of pod or whoever interviewed you?

Location. The VA job is in a very nice location compared to the hospital job. I would sacrifice on pay for the VA location because it’s better for my family.

I’ve spoken to the chief of surgery of the hospital twice on the phone and they expressed their desire for me to come there. It was all positive. Yet they said it was out their hands and we had to wait.

Emailed HR who apologized for the delay but said they could not give me onboarding documents until they had a salary offer.

Just recently emailed the chief of podiatry who interviewed me to let him know I want to be at the VA and my situation. No response.

Location. The VA job is in a very nice location compared to the hospital job. I would sacrifice on pay for the VA location because it’s better for my family.

I’ve spoken to the chief of surgery of the hospital twice on the phone and they expressed their desire for me to come there. It was all positive. Yet they said it was out their hands and we had to wait.

Emailed HR who apologized for the delay but said they could not give me onboarding documents until they had a salary offer.

Just recently emailed the chief of podiatry who interviewed me to let him know I want to be at the VA and my situation. No response.
Very frustrating! Did they give you a start date yet?

Very frustrating! Did they give you a start date yet?

No!

This is insanity! The HR person called 6 weeks ago and said congrats you have the job.

Since then two separate phone calls with chief of surgery talking about big plans for podiatry there and one email from HR saying sorry for delay but we haven’t gotten a final salary therefore we can’t forward you a contract or onboarding documents.

I know VA moves at its own pace but I personally feel this is peculiarly slow. The fact they expect me to wait and twiddle my thumbs all off a phone all is pretty discouraging. I’ve got plans to make in terms of moving etc

No!

This is insanity! The HR person called 6 weeks ago and said congrats you have the job.

Since then two separate phone calls with chief of surgery talking about big plans for podiatry there and one email from HR saying sorry for delay but we haven’t gotten a final salary therefore we can’t forward you a contract or onboarding documents.

I know VA moves at its own pace but I personally feel this is peculiarly slow. The fact they expect me to wait and twiddle my thumbs all off a phone all is pretty discouraging. I’ve got plans to make in terms of moving etc
VA moves slow but this VA particularly seems like they’re stalling for some reason. I have a friend who just accepted a job at a VA and they gave him the start date a few days later after his interview. Hes now waiting for his offer which has been two weeks now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone currently working at IHS right now? I have a friend who is looking into it and so far it seems like some of the big differences are the patient population and the physician benefit package doesn’t seem as good as the VA

Is anyone currently working at IHS right now? I have a friend who is looking into it and so far it seems like some of the big differences are the patient population and the physician benefit package doesn’t seem as good as the VA
Lots of posts by Feli further up in this thread 👆

IHS will be same base (not COL adjust) pay as VA or different, depending on tribal or govt IHS.

Govt IHS will have the same pay scale, similar benefits, etc as VAs since they follow parity also.
Tribal IHS (sees only tribal insurance pts but technically independent and not fully govt run despite fully dependent on govt funding) does whatever they want. They will be roughly in line for compensation, benefits, match, etc.
All IHS has the loan repay program available ~18k/yr.

One big difference is that IHS has all kinds of patients M/F, kids, infants, diab/non, etc. VAs obviously have nearly all males who are of mid age or older, a lot of psych issues. Both have a lot of DM population.
The biggest difference is the areas they're in. VAs are all in medium to large metros. IHS are all mostly rural or at least semi-rural (rare exceptions in Okla where some large cites are technically native reservations). The cost of living will be slightly to MUCH lower for IHS jobs vs VA jobs, parking easier, more wilderness, etc. The VAs will have more traffic/commute, higher costs... but more dining and entertainment nearby. It all depends what you like.

Reactions: 1 users
IHS will be same base (not COL adjust) pay as VA or different, depending on tribal or govt IHS.

Govt IHS will have the same pay scale, similar benefits, etc as VAs since they follow parity also.
Tribal IHS (sees only tribal insurance pts but technically independent and not fully govt run despite fully dependent on govt funding) does whatever they want. They will be roughly in line for compensation, benefits, match, etc.
All IHS has the loan repay program available ~18k/yr.

One big difference is that IHS has all kinds of patients M/F, kids, infants, diab/non, etc. VAs obviously have nearly all males who are of mid age or older, a lot of psych issues. Both have a lot of DM population.
The biggest difference is the areas they're in. VAs are all in medium to large metros. IHS are all mostly rural or at least semi-rural (rare exceptions in Okla where some large cites are technically native reservations). The cost of living will be slightly to MUCH lower for IHS jobs vs VA jobs, parking easier, more wilderness, etc. The VAs will have more traffic/commute, higher costs... but more dining and entertainment nearby. It all depends what you like.
Thank you!

My experience with the VA hiring process.

I interviewed in December of 2020. Great interview. They asked me if I could start in February of 2021, I said lets shoot for March of 2021 and they agreed. No contact from HR up through March. Further discussions with Section Chief at beginning of April 2021, looks like maybe May start date. May comes and goes, then urgent request for credentialing at VA (still no job offer) in June. My credentials are approved at the VA hospital in August. September comes and goes without contact from HR. In the last week of October I get a job offer with a start date three business days later for the first week of November. I can't start in 3 days so my start date was pushed to first week of December 2021.

So be prepared for a full 12 months of intermittent contact followed by an emergent rush to start. It's not malignant, the HR people are understaffed. My HR contact told me that he had 65 physician job folders open, all were urgent.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users

I interviewed in December of 2020. Great interview. They asked me if I could start in February of 2021, I said lets shoot for March of 2021 and they agreed. No contact from HR up through March. Further discussions with Section Chief at beginning of April 2021, looks like maybe May start date. May comes and goes, then urgent request for credentialing at VA (still no job offer) in June. My credentials are approved at the VA hospital in August. September comes and goes without contact from HR. In the last week of October I get a job offer with a start date three business days later for the first week of November. I can't start in 3 days so my start date was pushed to first week of December 2021.

So be prepared for a full 12 months of intermittent contact followed by an emergent rush to start. It's not malignant, the HR people are understaffed. My HR contact told me that he had 65 physician job folders open, all were urgent.

Good luck!
Sounds like what is going to happen with my VA job offer. Looks like I'm signing with the community hospital.

I’ve worked for a community hospital. It’s not the worst thing especially if you like the area. Good luck.
Lol the area is um interesting

Is it possible then to start a VA job immediately following residency? This thread makes it sound like there is such a delay in the onboarding process that an applicant would be without a job for months

Is it possible then to start a VA job immediately following residency? This thread makes it sound like there is such a delay in the onboarding process that an applicant would be without a job for months
Yes I started in August after my residency. Like I said before I think my VA is the most efficient VA out there

Last edited:
Yes I started in August after my residency. Like I said before I think my VA is the most efficient VA out there
Yes, but when did you apply, interview, etc? It requires a LOT of foresight at most govt or govt-dependent facilities. It can totally be done out of residency, but one needs to start significantly earlier than they would with any other type of job. We had another girl who was supposed to start with me at IHS, and hers fell through due to compensation negotiations (I would assume she took some last-minute PP job, but no idea). If anyone targets govt jobs, like any job, it's wise to have plentiful other avenues available. That goes double for the govt jobs; you can't be without options as a residency grad if the start is significantly delayed, compensation changes, position falls through, etc.

For my IHS job, I think I applied in Feb, was contacted in May or Jun (I had forgot I'd applied since I occasionally just send some feelers with my CV out), interviewed in Aug, offer in Sep, started in Dec (with no real contract ever... just 'offer sheet'). That is honestly below average timespan... but this was tribal IHS with somewhat fewer potential delays. Regardless, it is basically impossible to apply for these jobs unless you are a resident starting early or you have a stable job and are just fishing around (which is probably why there over 10 or 20 VA podiatry job spots on usajobs.gov right now). Most job seekers who are without a job today can't just start those applications even if they'd be great for the position; the timeline is too daunting and unpredictable.

...be prepared for a full 12 months of intermittent contact followed by an emergent rush to start. It's not malignant, the HR people are understaffed. My HR contact told me that he had 65 physician job folders open, all were urgent...
I would disagree with this... they move slow because they can. You've only worked there a couple months. The more you interact with HR, the more you will see things were forgotten, person X is not in today, person Y and Z are on leave... and persons A-D are down getting coffee, persons E and F are out sick, persons G-K are at doctor visits (gone all day, of course), etc etc. The cubicles are many... but half are empty at any given time of day. Their HR:employees ratio will be at least 2-4x what you'd see at any normal non-govt hospital (and govt HR has backup of national VA and IHS credential, benefits, background, etc resources). Seriously. If you see the size of HR depts that do the hiring, benefits, etc for major teaching and trauma hospitals with hundreds or even 1000+ beds, their ratios are almost always significantly lower than govt ones... but they get the job done quicker. It is not understaffing...

There is unfortunately zero incentive (besides personal work ethic) for anyone to work fast. Work ethic typically gets assaulted and overthrown by social loafing within a year or two. There are way too many sick days that expire if not used, so people make stuff up or say they are attending every spouse/parent/kid/etc doc visit in addition to their own.
How hard is it for a HR worker to make a phone call to the candidate, change a contract a bit (name, specialty, etc), change the compensation number, and send it? In PP, they can hire a new doc in a week or two unless one or both sides want to negotiate or delay awhile. The office manager of a PP can make up a contract in a couple hours, or the physician recruiter or Chief or even the CEO of a MSG or small/medium hospital can make an offer or return a call to answer a promising prospective doc's question promptly. So, what gives in the govt or some big hospital jobs? How does it routinely take 10x that timespan? It is the extreme inefficiency of the govt or large system:

-Dept chief and maybe surgery chief and even CMO or CEO is required to sign off on every little detail in govt systems. If they have to talk to one another or coordinate an interview, chances are they're on vacation or tough to catch since they basically work 10a-2p three days per week. If their assistant has learned how things work, they are probably 'busy' and not available either.
-HR has no incentive to make up contracts fast, set up visits/interviews, etc. If they hire one doc fast, they just have a new folder to hire again... so it may as well sit on their desk awhile to make them look "busy" in hopes one of their colleagues gets the next hire job, right? Half the job postings are just formalities, so hopefully they can put a few of those on their desk to keep their count high for awhile.
-Dept chiefs might mean well, but they have no real incentive to hire quickly (when the hire gets there, more evaluations and paperwork for them, more expectations of the dept, etc). They will also increase their dept budget without increasing productivity... at least for awhile.
-The only people who might have true wish for new govt hires to arrive and start in a timely manner are the other "grunt workers" in the dept with a full schedule (use that phrase loosely in govt since I'd probably have never gone a week without seeing 20+ patients until two years of all sub-20 days in govt). Unfortunately, the grunts usually have no say in the hire unless they're buddy-buddy with the dept chief... all they can do is train the new hire once that person arrives if they're team players (but due to the system, many just happily transfer some of their pts to new hire and help get the new hire onto the call schedule asap).
-When the new hire does get approved after many months, they are still needing a dozen forms and checks and stamp-offs before they can ever get a start date or even see a patient. It is a huge maze that will use up the hire's energy almost before they start. It can be done, but I sure won't say it's a good or smooth or quick process.

Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of speed bumps in working for a private hospital also. There are a fair amount for a MSG and even a few for a DPM group (mainly just hospital privi and payer apps). The govt process is by FAR the slowest, though. It is not understaffing. It is that there's no incentive.

It is an overall govt system that rewards those who can hide in meetings, block off their schedule, take max vacation, return voicemails and emails slowly... and still get their seniority raises nonetheless. The senior employees in any dept get paid more, take less call, get more vacation leave, etc than the lower level who often produce more - or much more. It is a doomed system. There are still some very good people in the system who try to play past the BS and get a good amount of work done. It can still be a good or even great job for those who are patient and can ignore what $ others make or what others produce, but you can't pretend the incentive is there to be a producer or that "understaffing" is the main issue.

Last edited:
Yes, but when did you apply, interview, etc? It requires a LOT of foresight at most govt or govt-dependent facilities. It can totally be done out of residency, but one needs to start significantly earlier than they would with any other type of job.
I applied first week of Jan (the job listing was only open for two weeks), 4 weeks later got an email requesting a zoom interview which I did one week later. First week of March I got my offer (didn’t negotitate, didnt know I could) and was asked to start in July but I wanted vacation time so I started mid august.

This document has really good information regarding the benefits of working at the VA especially the breakdown of the total awards on page 2.

Attachments

• vamc-total-rewards.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 216
Does anyone understand when some of these openings are for candidates internal to the agency only?

This document has really good information regarding the benefits of working at the VA especially the breakdown of the total awards on page 2.
Alright I think my goal is to be a VA podiatrist

Does anyone understand when some of these openings are for candidates internal to the agency only?
Every job posting has an icon(s) next to it that will say the job listed is only open to current federal employees or open to US citizens/general public. The ones that are federal employees only will require you to submit your current SF-50 which is notification of personnel action form that mentions your pay/position at current federal employer.

Who knows? I know one of the spots listed right now is filled and it’s still posted

Who knows? I know one of the spots listed right now is filled and it’s still posted
Just out of curiosity which one? They probably have to keep it up until the deadline date. I always thought they HAD to take all applications until the deadline and then go through them all but I guess not

I have been interviewed before the job posting officially expired. I am sure that they were still "accepting" applications, but they were not going to interview anyone else where I interviewed after they completed the interviews they were doing that day. Apply early as that is the only part that is in your control until you get an interview.

Last edited:
Just an update. Got a job offer from a VA in one of the most desirable cities in the west coast. Was notified in February by HR I got the job. Had some phone calls with the chief of surgery several times confirming that they want me.

Since then I have not received any information on salary or onboarding documents to get privileges, etc. I've emailed once a month and get the same answer that they are still waiting for salary recommendations, etc.

All VAs are not the same

Just an update. Got a job offer from a VA in one of the most desirable cities in the west coast. Was notified in February by HR I got the job. Had some phone calls with the chief of surgery several times confirming that they want me.

Since then I have not received any information on salary or onboarding documents to get privileges, etc. I've emailed once a month and get the same answer that they are still waiting for salary recommendations, etc.

All VAs are not the same

That would be frustrating! Good luck!

All VAs are not the same
Bummer... Hopefully everything works out for you!

The local VA doc quit/moved inevitably after I bought into my private practice. Now I get to see VA patients at my PP. Its the VA experience without the $.

Raising this thread from the grave again...

What has everyone seen to be a typical “work day” in terms of clinic hours for CBOC VA Docs?
Probably 8:00am - 4:30pm. You might have to drive to the main hospital a couple times a month for surgery (and stay there to help in clinic afterwards if finish early or have no cases for your block) and meetings etc

Last edited:
Updating this thread. I ended up signing a permanent deal with another hospital but I got notification today from the VA hospital I was waiting to hear back from since February that they cancelled the position because they couldn't come to an agreement on salary offer. The VA hospitals are terrible on the west coast and take forever.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Updating this thread. I ended up signing a permanent deal with another hospital but I got notification today from the VA hospital I was waiting to hear back from since February that they cancelled the position because they couldn't come to an agreement on salary offer. The VA hospitals are terrible on the west coast and take forever.

Congrats on the new job :cool:

Did they give you an offer and you counter offered and they couldn’t meet you halfway? Or they couldn’t even come up with an offer themselves to present to you? Sounds crazy either way, why create the position if they can’t negotiate salary, especially considering it’s a government job with a salary cap that you’d hit eventually

Did they give you an offer and you counter offered and they couldn’t meet you halfway? Or they couldn’t even come up with an offer themselves to present to you? Sounds crazy either way, why create the position if they can’t negotiate salary, especially considering it’s a government job with a salary cap that you’d hit eventually

They only have general podiatrists there and they wanted a surgical podiatrist to come in and take call and start building up a robust podiatry surgical practice. I told them I wanted the max amount (240k) if I’m going to be the only surgical podiatrist serving this rather large VA.

They never came up with a number and couldn’t agree. Which tells me they wanted to put me somewhere sub 200k and be paid like a general podiatrist.

It’s been 5 months since they told me they wanted to hire me. Unfortunately they just lost out. I have zero confidence they will be able to make a decision soon.

VA hospital jobs are nice but my experience shows they are rather cheap and don’t want to pay up for a high quality candidate. Therefore some hospitals continue to struggle recruiting because they take so long.

Nobody can wait 6-12 months. If they can it’s because they are not a strong candidate to begin with and can’t get a solid job somewhere else.

• Sad
They only have general podiatrists there and they wanted a surgical podiatrist to come in and take call and start building up a robust podiatry surgical practice. I told them I wanted the max amount (240k) if I’m going to be the only surgical podiatrist serving this rather large VA.

They never came up with a number and couldn’t agree. Which tells me they wanted to put me somewhere sub 200k and be paid like a general podiatrist.

It’s been 5 months since they told me they wanted to hire me. Unfortunately they just lost out. I have zero confidence they will be able to make a decision soon.

VA hospital jobs are nice but my experience shows they are rather cheap and don’t want to pay up for a high quality candidate. Therefore some hospitals continue to struggle recruiting because they take so long.

Nobody can wait 6-12 months. If they can it’s because they are not a strong candidate to begin with and can’t get a solid job somewhere else.
Sorry to hear this... But at the same time congrats on your other offer!

I have been looking to get into the VA for some time, thoroughly enjoyed it there as a student and I love treating veterans.

But dang, it’s really hard to get in...

They just dropped the position entirely instead of negotiating? That just seems so... bizarre. I mean, don't they still need to hire somebody?

They just dropped the position entirely instead of negotiating? That just seems so... bizarre. I mean, don't they still need to hire somebody?
Sometimes they just do that. I applied to one about 4 years ago and after the deadline got a notification saying I was in the “highly preferred” category or something. 4 months go by and I hear nothing so I emailed the HR person at the VA location and he was like “oh yeah, we decided not to fill that location with a podiatrist. People who need a podiatrist can just drive to a different VA.” Another interesting nugget he told me was that over 100 people applied for the one opening, so it wasn’t like they didn’t have a pool of people to pick from.

• Wow
I agree its completed screwed up. Especially since the location made a lot of sense for me and my family. I was informed in February I had the job. Then I put in my salary requests with the chief of surgery who I spoke at least 2-3 times on the phone and conversed with via e-mail. I essentially told him if they are looking to hire their first surgical podiatrist then the top of end of the pay scale needs to happen. They wanted me to start a residency program as well. I really think admin there is just super cheap and wanted me to be a surgical podiatrist on a general podiatrist pay scale which would have never worked. So rather than make a decision they cancelled the job or basically put it on the backburner. I am glad I did not plan my life around this decision.