VA jobs - insiders only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend transferred to another location. They had to interview at the new place then wait for HR to complete everything which took 2-3 months.
So technically I can start somewhere and transfer in like 1-2 months from starting?

Also, bummer you have to sit around once done with patients... surf the web I guess?

Members don't see this ad.

So technically I can start somewhere and transfer in like 1-2 months from starting?

Also, bummer you have to sit around once done with patients... surf the web I guess?
I believe my friend wanted to give their employer a 60-90 day notice because they were working there for awhile. Also the new job still took awhile to complete their paperwork so even if they wanted to start right away they couldnt.

Yeah I usually read, finish my notes or prepare for cases. Its not bad. I never ever take work home. Dont have remote access anyway!

Reactions: 1 user

You’ll be on probation for 2 years after being hired. During that time it’s easier to get rid of someone. I would just keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll be on probation for 2 years after being hired. During that time it’s easier to get rid of someone. I would just keep that in mind.
Yah I would advise you put in your 2 years first before you look for another job and keep your mouth shut. Even after that point I would probably just keep it to yourself until you get the other job. Remember very few podiatry jobs come with relocation assistance so you may not want to buy a home.

If you end up at a good VA even if it is not your dream location you might just end up staying. You will have lots of vacation time.

Reactions: 2 users
VA podiatry jobs are highly coveted positions no matter how low the pay is because the benefits and pension are the main attraction. Plus you don’t have to work hard at all since there are no production bonuses. Or the bonuses are minimal. There is no financial incentive to be busy. Also once you get past the two year probation period it would take the jaws of life to get you removed from your position.
Most VA facilities have P4P bonus for the physicians (including Podiatrist). I agree with CutsWithFury in that it is not very big bonus. It is basically a 15K bonus per fiscal year, provided one has met all of the different components of the P4P.

Current VA docs: are you allowed flexibility in your schedule? Go to CBOCs more often, start early-leave early, etc.?

Also, when are your last pts scheduled in clinic? I heard last pts can be as early as 3:30?
Podiatrists at certain VA hospitals work compressed tours, where they work four 10 hours shifts per week. Hence, they get a day off.

Podiatrist Foot and Ankle Surgeon​

East Orange, New Jersey

Full Time
BE or BC
Clarification from the agency
All qualified candidates encouraged to apply. Open to U.S. Citizens but non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens.

Duties
The duties of a Podiatrist/Foot & Ankle Surgeon involve treating a wide variety of patients of all ages with diseases of the lower extremities. Podiatrists provide medical and surgical care for people with foot, ankle, and lower leg problems. They diagnose illnesses, treat injuries, and perform lower extremities surgery.

Podiatrist responsibilities include conducting foot and ankle surgeries, prescribing orthotics, and applying therapeutic treatments for issues including, but not limited to, chronic and acute conditions that affect the lower leg/foot bones, joints, soft tissues, skin, and nails. A doctoral degree in Podiatric Medicine and practical experience in a clinic or hospital are prerequisites to be considered for this role.

VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package.

Work Schedule: Monday - Friday,7:30 AM - 4:00 PM or at Department discretion
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required

Podiatrist Basic Requirements

• Degree as a doctor of podiatric medicine, or its equivalent, from a school of podiatric medicine approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. Approved schools are United States schools of podiatric medicine approved by the Council on Podiatry Education of the American Podiatry Association in the year in which the degree was granted. ~AND~
  • Completed, or currently completing, residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. VA Podiatrists involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status. Approved residencies are: (1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Council on Podiatric Medical Education, in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or (2) Other residencies and training experiences, or their equivalents, which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training. ~AND~
  • Currently hold, or will hold, a full and unrestricted license to practice Podiatry in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States or in the District of Columbia.

Required Experience:

1. Board Certification/Qualification by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (ABFAS) is required. Surgical logs demonstrating skills in most of the following ADVANCED reconstructive rearfoot and ankle procedures within the last three years will be requested:
    1. Achilles tendon repair
    2. Amputations
    3. Ankle Arthrodesis / Ankle Implant
    4. Ankle arthroscopy, diagnostic/surgical
    5. Ankle stabilization
    6. Charcot foot reconstruction
    7. Circular/delta frames
    8. Complex Lis Franc / Transmetatarsal dislocations/fractures
    9. Complex rearfoot reconstruction including flatfoot and cavus foot
    10. Illizarov external fixation
    11. ORIF of complex rearfoot, ankle fractures, Pilon fractures and or talar dome repairs
    12. Rearfoot arthrodesis (ex. triple, subtalar, and pantalar)
    13. Skin flaps and grafts; Bone graft harvest, foot & le
    14. Tarsal Tunnel decompression
    15. Tendon transfer, midfoot, and rearfoot
2. Surgical Fellowship completion preferred
There are two VA hospitals in Massachusetts that are currently hiring Podiatrists. One position is very similar to the above posting from East Orange VA. The second position is for a non surgical Chief of Podiatry position at a VA hospital. Neither positions are posted on usajobs. If anyone is interested, feel free to reach out to me for details.

• Care
Are you able to negotiate a shorter lunch break - like 30 min vs. 1 hr? Or is a 1hr lunch “required” for all staff?
Lunch is generally required for staff (your nurses etc) and is not negotiable most locations.

You can work through lunch if you personally want to and do paperwork, but you will not leave earlier because of it. By doing so it might help you leave on time on a busy day.

Last edited:
So.... from what everyone is saying, new grads are making ~200k in the VA, correct?

I looked up the salaries of some VA docs I know (some have been there for quite some time, 5-10 years at least)... i'm seeing salaries more in the mid to high 100s, very few passing 200k. One doc has been there over 20 years and his salary is $137k!!??

Why the discrepancy? Are the federal salary database searches not including market pay or something? Seems lower than what is being said here.

So.... from what everyone is saying, new grads are making ~200k in the VA, correct?

I looked up the salaries of some VA docs I know (some have been there for quite some time, 5-10 years at least)... i'm seeing salaries more in the mid to high 100s, very few passing 200k. One doc has been there over 20 years and his salary is $137k!!??

Why the discrepancy? Are the federal salary database searches not including market pay or something? Seems lower than what is being said here.
Every facility has come up with a different calculation after the 2018 mission act. Seems like no real rhyme or reason you could be making anywhere around 150-up to near 300. When I checked the latest data though it seemed like a lot of folks were over 200 (at a minimum the top 100 pods)

Every facility has come up with a different calculation after the 2018 mission act. Seems like no real rhyme or reason you could be making anywhere around 150-up to near 300. When I checked the latest data though it seemed like a lot of folks were over 200 (at a minimum the top 100 pods)
So... the online database is wrong then? Have you checked your own salary to validate accuracy?

Members don't see this ad :)
One doc has been there over 20 years and his salary is $137k!!??
Might as well be minimum wage for the amount of nail dust and Trumpers VA folks likely have to deal with.

• Dislike
So... the online database is wrong then? Have you checked your own salary to validate accuracy?
Put as much on your CV as possible in as much detail as possible ......like even volunteer positions within the community etc. They are being honest though each VA has a pay setting committee. Same cost of living area and two different VAs could easily be off 10 percent or sometimes 20 percent from each on salary offered for same candidate. No different than a civilian job I suppose, but once your salary is set and you accept you will only get small steady raises which are nice, but no large ones (again often like civilian, where people job hop for larger raises). There is a reason they say if you have seen one VA, you have seen one VA. You can try to negotiate your salary more after you are offered if you give them a good reason to reconsider and bring up again at the committee before you accept....it may or may not change your offer. I have known of podiatrists to lose their offers by pushing too hard and delaying accepting for too long. By looking at the salaries for the VA you are applying to, you get a better feel for how they pay at that location for podiatry.

Last edited:

Anyone making $137k/yr in a VA (or IHS that has adopted the Trump parity changes) is probably part-time.

~200k or a bit more is more the norm for DPMs starting full-time. The problem is that it takes forever and many are asked to start doing onboarding and arranging start date before they've seen anything concrete (only verbal offer and talk of how COLA or other raises work, which sometimes changes when the final paperwork arrives shortly before start date). The process beats ppl down.

...It's fine work, but don't put it on a pedestal. It's just really hard to get much done with the inevitable mindset that comes with putting everyone on salary and having good job security. They basically have the dump trucks of tax money regardless of volume, and productivity is not really rewarded in any way. You will see a lot of people doing the minimum (docs, staff, techs, admins etc), OR efficiency is almost impossible, many people acting overwhelmed with a low/avg workload, a lot of days off and sick days are taken, a lot of cultural pressure for anyone working quickly to pump the brakes on it. It's just nothing like you've seen in PP or private hospitals, ASCs, etc. Some people love it at VA, some don't. You will see for yourself if you get one of the jobs.

It is not abnormal for it to take roughly a year or so from app to start date, have offers delayed, have trouble getting offer in writing, have start date changed, position auth changes, etc. I have no idea if the HR is just way behind or if it's disorganized, or if chiefs get any incentive in their own pocket for keeping hiring cost/salaries reasonable (doubtful on that one), but it's a near constant that the compensation is fairly murky, process is really slow, etc. It's honestly probably just that the dept chiefs get nothing for making the hires except more paperwork, more issues to deal with, and another person to manage... and they can send out the pts and cut volume until they onboard someone new. So, like nearly everyone else in VA, they have almost no reason to move quickly. Almost everyone I know who signed on with VA lately (since parity act) had an in via colleagues or residency connections, or they had a pretty good CV (training, exp, ABFAS, etc). There is the occasional TFP - moreso in IHS than VA, but also in VA sometimes - that probably gets in by applying to the more obscure locations. Regardless, like anything podiatry, I'm sure the fact that a lot of VA postings in any decent area get 200-500+ applications has something to do with it also.

If you want IHS and aren't getting interviews by applying, doing locums would be a decent way to get in the door. I know a couple people who have parlayed that into FTE. IHS has all of the same troubles getting an actual written offer/contract, molasses hiring process, stated benefits being missing or changed after the fact, etc... it's a very similar setup, but probably even more variable.

Last edited:
Anyone making $137k/yr in a VA (or IHS that has adopted the Trump parity changes) is probably part-time.

~200k or a bit more is more the norm for DPMs starting full-time. The problem is that it takes forever and many are asked to start doing onboarding and arranging start date before they've seen anything concrete (only verbal offer and talk of how COLA or other raises work, which sometimes changes when the final paperwork arrives shortly before start date). The process beats ppl down.

...It's fine work, but don't put it on a pedestal. It's just really hard to get much done with the inevitable mindset that comes with putting everyone on salary and having good job security. They basically have the dump trucks of tax money regardless of volume, and productivity is not really rewarded in any way. You will see a lot of people doing the minimum (docs, staff, techs, admins etc), OR efficiency is almost impossible, many people acting overwhelmed with a low/avg workload, a lot of days off and sick days are taken, a lot of cultural pressure for anyone working quickly to pump the brakes on it. It's just nothing like you've seen in PP or private hospitals, ASCs, etc. Some people love it at VA, some don't. You will see for yourself if you get one of the jobs.

It is not abnormal for it to take roughly a year or so from app to start date, have offers delayed, have trouble getting offer in writing, have start date changed, position auth changes, etc. I have no idea if the HR is just way behind or if it's disorganized, or if chiefs get any incentive in their own pocket for keeping hiring cost/salaries reasonable (doubtful on that one), but it's a near constant that the compensation is fairly murky, process is really slow, etc. It's honestly probably just that the dept chiefs get nothing for making the hires except more paperwork, more issues to deal with, and another person to manage... and they can send out the pts and cut volume until they onboard someone new. So, like nearly everyone else in VA, they have almost no reason to move quickly. Almost everyone I know who signed on with VA lately (since parity act) had an in via colleagues or residency connections, or they had a pretty good CV (training, exp, ABFAS, etc). There is the occasional TFP - moreso in IHS than VA, but also in VA sometimes - that probably gets in by applying to the more obscure locations. Regardless, like anything podiatry, I'm sure the fact that a lot of VA postings in any decent area get 200-500+ applications has something to do with it also.

If you want IHS and aren't getting interviews by applying, doing locums would be a decent way to get in the door. I know a couple people who have parlayed that into FTE. IHS has all of the same troubles getting an actual written offer/contract, molasses hiring process, stated benefits being missing or changed after the fact, etc... it's a very similar setup, but probably even more variable.
Did not think about part-time. Good info!

Anyone know what the benefits are for part time VA work ?
If permanent part time, I believe the same just benefits are pro rated.

Last edited:

The salaries do not include market pay, or bonuses.

There is performance pay and metrics that have to be met just like any other place. OR efficiency is the norm not the exception.

Interesting, so if you include market pay, the listed salaries are actually much higher. Makes sense now.
Maybe some do and some don’t. A lot of the people I know the salary you see listed on the site has been derived from their base pay plus market pay

VA pay is higher than in the past now, but certainly not everyone stars at 200K. I know of a very experienced ABFAS certified podiatrist that started under 180K and of a new residency graduate starting over 200K. Cost of living was probably higher for the 180K podiatrist, but location more desirable also.

If you want to work at the VA and you are offered the job, the pay may or may not meet your expectations. You don't have to take the job obviously. There are other benefits like loan repayment options, good benefits, work/life balance, job stability higher than many other settings and a possibility you might be able to transfer later if you want.

Last edited:
Mine is just shy of $200K, but the $15K bonus at the end of the year brings it over...I'm pretty new, so I guess it'll bump up a little over time (cost of living bumps)...but factor in the PLSF after 10 years, (i.e. divide my student loans by 10 and add that to my salary haha)--then factor in all my paid time off now compared to my old job--then factor in the awesome insurance--then factor in the 5% match in my TSP (=401K)...then factor in going home at 4pm, sometimes a little sooner every day...and I feel like I'm doing pretty well as a podiatrist in 2023.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Mine is just shy of $200K, but the $15K bonus at the end of the year brings it over...I'm pretty new, so I guess it'll bump up a little over time (cost of living bumps)...but factor in the PLSF after 10 years, (i.e. divide my student loans by 10 and add that to my salary haha)--then factor in all my paid time off now compared to my old job--then factor in the awesome insurance--then factor in the 5% match in my TSP (=401K)...then factor in going home at 4pm, sometimes a little sooner every day...and I feel like I'm doing pretty well as a podiatrist in 2023.
that's the dream

You’re still underpaid at the VA. Even with the work schedule and benefits you should be able to say that your $15k bonus puts you just over $300k, not $200k.

You can work VA hours, get similar benefits, and get paid $100k more (easily) in the civilian world. As has been mentioned before, we are one of a few (maybe the only?) medical specialty where VA jobs are in demand. Which says way more about the civilian job market than it does about VA compensation.

You’re still underpaid at the VA. Even with the work schedule and benefits you should be able to say that your $15k bonus puts you just over $300k, not $200k.

You can work VA hours, get similar benefits, and get paid $100k more (easily) in the civilian world. As has been mentioned before, we are one of a few (maybe the only?) medical specialty where VA jobs are in demand. Which says way more about the civilian job market than it does about VA compensation.
Yeah, but I'd have to live in the middle of nowhere. No thanks.

Yeah, but I'd have to live in the middle of nowhere. No thanks.

Not true. Median wRVU compensation would only require 300 wRVU per month to beat your pay. You can see 20 pts per day, 3 days a week and do that easily. You can do that at any employed hospital/MSG job. One of the greater lies told on here are that the hospital jobs require you to work 60+ hours a week. Not true. Individuals chasing $ choose to do that. It’s not required, you’re allowed to say “no,” most posters with those jobs simply don’t want to.

Not true. Median wRVU compensation would only require 300 wRVU per month to beat your pay. You can see 20 pts per day, 3 days a week and do that easily. You can do that at any employed hospital/MSG job. One of the greater lies told on here are that the hospital jobs require you to work 60+ hours a week. Not true. Individuals chasing $ choose to do that. It’s not required, you’re allowed to say “no,” most posters with those jobs simply don’t want to.
Cool man, but yeah--I cold called, sent resumes to countless recruiters, talked to hospital CEO's in all the places I imagined living....no luck. So...yeah it was true for me. I only know like 3 classmates of mine with jobs like you're describing. I'm happy where I am though, so you won't talk me out of it now haha!

Whats better as a new grad 210k at a VA with all those benefits or 150k in PP maybe breaking 200k if you take 15 weeks of call and don't take vacation?

Whats better as a new grad 210k at a VA with all those benefits or 150k in PP maybe breaking 200k if you take 15 weeks of call and don't take vacation?
Anything is better than PP. I'd take VA over PP even if the pay was $150K flat. That's just my opinion after 10 years in PP.

BTW, did the podiatry job market make some kind of crazy turnaround while I wasn't looking? Where are all these 3 days a week jobs you speak of?? I'm glad you and 4 others found one...and not that I don't value your participation on these forums, but what was your point in chiming in on this thread? We are all well aware that wRVU systems pay way more in the private sector--send me a link to one of these open positions in a desirable location, please. Even VA jobs are next to impossible to get--took me over 2 years to get this one lol.

Cool man, but yeah--I cold called, sent resumes to countless recruiters, talked to hospital CEO's in all the places I imagined living....no luck. So...yeah it was true for me. I only know like 3 classmates of mine with jobs like you're describing. I'm happy where I am though, so you won't talk me out of it now haha!

Oh nobody said those jobs are plentiful, but most hospital employed jobs have the capacity to be that way. Like I said, most of the times it’s an individual who burns the candle at both ends and then complains about being burnt out. Like our fallen friend cutswithfury. He does way more work than he has to, gets burnt out, and takes a job somewhere else only to do it again even though literally zero people from the hospital are demanding he do so. More often than not, busy employed docs are solely responsible for any hours/call they complain about.

And I’m not saying VA is a bad job relative to the rest of Podiatry. I’m saying the fact that it is considered a good to very good job in our profession is a sad indictment of our job market and general compensation.

Oh nobody said those jobs are plentiful, but most hospital employed jobs have the capacity to be that way. Like I said, most of the times it’s an individual who burns the candle and both ends and then complains about being burnt out. And I’m not saying VA is a bad job relative to the rest of Podiatry. I’m saying the fact that it is considered a good to very good job in our profession is a sad indictment of our job market and general compensation.
Agreed on that point. It is sad...but yeah I don't consider myself underpaid in podiatry compared to the alternatives...aka the majority of the profession.

Anybody have any guesses how surgical podiatry moving to Table 2 will affect pay?

Yeah that was my experience as well last year when I was offered a position at a VA. 190ish with 15 k bonus. It was 40 hours a week with call every six weeks.

Decided not to go through it because it was taking forever to get everything completed and was offered upwards of 325k in academic job and I felt it had higher ceiling for career advancement than VA.

Bu that is a solid VA offer in this climate of podiatry job market.

Reactions: 4 users
How has your surgeries been at the VA? Very limited or do you pretty much choose whether you wanna take on big stuff or punt to Ortho.
Your job sounds great BTw, I’m in a setup a lot like that.
I am mostly going more foot than ankle as time goes on, but I like the cases I can control and I sleep really good at night.

Yeah that was my experience as well last year when I was offered a position at a VA. 190ish with 15 k bonus. It was 40 hours a week with call every six weeks.

Decided not to go through it because it was taking forever to get everything completed and was offered upwards of 325k in academic job and I felt it had higher ceiling for career advancement than VA.

Bu that is a solid VA offer in this climate of podiatry job market.
Ten years ago I would have jumped at the offer. Now I wouldn't take it. It would be a pay cut and I don't take call now. I am in academics getting less then you but I feel like there is more room to grow professionally. There are possible title promotions in the future and committees I can join.

How has your surgeries been at the VA? Very limited or do you pretty much choose whether you wanna take on big stuff or punt to Ortho.
Your job sounds great BTw, I’m in a setup a lot like that.
I am mostly going more foot than ankle as time goes on, but I like the cases I can control and I sleep really good at night.
Really good. I can do any cases i want. TTC fusions, bunions, lateral ankle reconstruction etc. No foot n ankle orthos here. If I dont feel comfortable doing it then I refer them out to ortho at a nearby hospital. Then benefits of working at a small VA.

Reactions: 3 users
Really good. I can do any cases i want. TTC fusions, bunions, lateral ankle reconstruction etc. No foot n ankle orthos here. If I dont feel comfortable doing it then I refer them out to ortho at a nearby hospital. Then benefits of working at a small VA.

Same exact situation here... I do a lot more ankle ORIF than I expected. I do everything else but TAR, which I refer out. If it's a big case, I just make sure the schedule is pretty much cleared, as I don't always have the best help...maybe the biggest drawback, but that can be any podiatrist at any hospital without residents or first assists...