This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MWfuturedoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I'd love some feedback from you guys regarding this decision. I feel like there are so many factors to consider here and I am having trouble figuring out what weight to give each factor. I'm OOS for both Vandy and Pitt, but am excited about living in a new place. I'm interested in emergency and critical care medicine, but honestly am very excited about exploring a wide range of potential specialties in medical school. I am eager to do research within the emergency/critical care realm while in school, though I'm not sure if I'd prefer to do basic or clinical research. I would be moving with my significant other, who is rather excited about either location.

Pitt: (Pitt hasn't released admission decisions yet, so this is somewhat hypothetical at this point)

Pros:
+ Very strong research, especially within the emergency/critical care realm
+ Seems like a nice city, could see myself living there
+ Felt like I fit in with the students and faculty I met with
+ I've applied to the PSTP program, which if I got in, would give me a funded year of basic science research and additional $10K in scholarship per year
+ Snowy/cold winters

Cons:
- Very traditional curriculum style (large lectures during first two years, clerkships in second two years)
- Significantly larger class size compared to Vanderbilt
- I would probably only attend if I got into the PSTP program. This being said, I am a bit concerned about committing to basic science research before even starting med school
- Hot/humid summers

Vanderbilt:

Pros:
+ Felt a great fit with the school, faculty and students while I was there for interview day. Fit felt the best of any school I interviewed at.
+ Reasonably small class size (90ish students)
+ Unique curriculum (one year of pre-clinical studies with 3 years of clinical studies)
+ If I went to Vandy, I would have the opportunity to explore the various research programs going on there and further develop my interests, before deciding basic vs. clinical research
+ Great student wellness programs
+ Seems like a really fun area to live and explore. I'm excited about the idea of living in the south.

Cons:
- Less of a robust/well known emergency/critical care program
- More expensive than Pitt if I were to get into Pitt's PSTP program
- Hot/humid summers
- More mild winters

Questions I'm considering:
-Both are highly ranked. How much do the minor differences in rank actually matter?
-How much should my current specialty interests factor into the school decision?
-Is the extra scholarship money from Pitt (if I get into PSTP) worth sacrificing the great fit I felt at Vandy?

Members don't see this ad.

Jw, why have you made this post now before getting an acceptance at Pitt? This debate could be for naught in two weeks once they release decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
Jw, why have you made this post now before getting an acceptance at Pitt? This debate could be for naught in two weeks once they release decisions.

Valid. Valid. I figured it can’t hurt to start considering the differences between the two schools and seeing what others would be considering if they faced the decision. Should it be for naught, then what was wasted? Not much. But what was gained? More perspective on the decision I may end up having to make.

I would roll with Vandy my friend! Honestly, the prestige difference is non-existent. In fact, most people will assume Vandy is "more prestigious" than Pitt even though USNWR decided otherwise. Vandy has great facilities, great weather in Nashville, and from what I have heard a pretty solid student culture.

Reactions: 1 users