You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2021-2022
Started by 98U
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
[email protected]I did but I may have gotten the wrong email... do you mind sharing?
Hey yall, hope everyone's doing well.
Reapplicant to DO schools this cycle, keep getting waitlisted at schools so I'm trying to do a program where I dont waste another year of waiting like right now. I was wondering if anyone had sub 3.0 (2.6 sgpa) and if that was ok to apply with here. I did an SMP at another medical school and got a 3.4 and a 501, but theres no strong linkage unless you kill the mcat there. My cumulative gpa from aacomas is sub 3, but I have stats from later on that are pretty much all A's and B's.
Sucks to be thinking of doing 2 masters, but it is what it is. If anyone knows please let me know, thanks.
Reapplicant to DO schools this cycle, keep getting waitlisted at schools so I'm trying to do a program where I dont waste another year of waiting like right now. I was wondering if anyone had sub 3.0 (2.6 sgpa) and if that was ok to apply with here. I did an SMP at another medical school and got a 3.4 and a 501, but theres no strong linkage unless you kill the mcat there. My cumulative gpa from aacomas is sub 3, but I have stats from later on that are pretty much all A's and B's.
Sucks to be thinking of doing 2 masters, but it is what it is. If anyone knows please let me know, thanks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, it's actually highly recommended to transfer your AACOMAS VCOM application to MABS. It would save you so much time and it's basically the same mission statement, essays, letters of recommendation requirements, etc. Attached are the instructions on how to make that transfer. You have to notify Ms. Alisa Hewitt for this. All the best!I heard the other day that if we applied through AACOMAS to VCOM we can use that same application for the MABS program. Does anyone know how to do that? I tried emailing but the people have been unresponsive so far. Also would you guys think that writing a separate application instead of reusing our AACOMAS app would be better?
Attachments
HokieGrad92
New Member
I had a similar experience. If your sGPA isn’t over a 3.0, there may be a chance that your application gets filtered out (mine did). If this happens to you, I’d call and state your case, and see if they will take an additional look at your application.Hey yall, hope everyone's doing well.
Reapplicant to DO schools this cycle, keep getting waitlisted at schools so I'm trying to do a program where I dont waste another year of waiting like right now. I was wondering if anyone had sub 3.0 (2.6 sgpa) and if that was ok to apply with here. I did an SMP at another medical school and got a 3.4 and a 501, but theres no strong linkage unless you kill the mcat there. My cumulative gpa from aacomas is sub 3, but I have stats from later on that are pretty much all A's and B's.
Sucks to be thinking of doing 2 masters, but it is what it is. If anyone knows please let me know, thanks.
Did you have any luck with this?I had a similar experience. If your sGPA isn’t over a 3.0, there may be a chance that your application gets filtered out (mine did). If this happens to you, I’d call and state your case, and see if they will take an additional look at your application.
https://www.bluefield.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/MABS-Academic-Calendar-21-22_.pdf Here is the new calendar for 2021-2022 I found it under Academic ResourcesSo has it changed from an automatic acceptance to a guaranteed formal interview?
Also, I was unable to access the handbook. What is the start date of the actual semester?
Thanks!
When did you apply? My application was verified on 01/04 I still haven’t heard anything.Any updates on when we should hear back? When I talked to them a few weeks ago, they said end of January.
swimlover
New Member
I was verified in mid-OctoberWhen did you apply? My application was verified on 01/04 I still haven’t heard anything.
premed7124
Full Member
My application was transferred over Friday. Hoping to hear news by the end of the month.
Oh congrats!!! When was your transfer complete btw so that we can be aware of how long you had to wait to reach this final review stage? Thank you and good luck!Hey guys I just received an email now from the committee that I'm now in final review and that I should hear back soon for an admissions decision so fingers crossed lol!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you!! I actually applied straight into the program so I had nothing to transfer over since I didn't apply to VCOM but I was marked complete on 9/21 and then my app was sent to final review 2/4. Since they are sending out decisions on a rolling basis I think it will vary per how many applications are in the pipeline. Usually I would always follow up every month. Good luck to you too!Oh congrats!!! When was your transfer complete btw so that we can be aware of how long you had to wait to reach this final review stage? Thank you and good luck!
Awesome!! I didn't realize that even early applicants in September have to wait so many months to hear back for final review - in your case, up to February! Since I had my transfer completed in January, will I have to wait a few months to hear back too? I was hoping to hear back in early March at the latest lol. Can you explain what you mean by applicant number in the pipeline? I'll be sure to ask on follow-ups each month too now. Thanks so much for your feedback!Thank you!! I actually applied straight into the program so I had nothing to transfer over since I didn't apply to VCOM but I was marked complete on 9/21 and then my app was sent to final review 2/4. Since they are sending out decisions on a rolling basis I think it will vary per how many applications are in the pipeline. Usually I would always follow up every month. Good luck to you too!
By applicant number in the pipeline I meant the amount of applications in the system thats in the process of being reviewed. Also sorry I wish I had an estimate of when you might hear back but I think you might know the most if you contact admissions lol like I definitely kept politely emailing! I just know they are sending out decisions on a rolling basis and it just might be taking a while longer because of current circumstances like COVID and making changes to the benchmarks within the program which might have contributed to the delay.Awesome!! I didn't realize that even early applicants in September have to wait so many months to hear back for final review - in your case, up to February! Since I had my transfer completed in January, will I have to wait a few months to hear back too? I was hoping to hear back in early March at the latest lol. Can you explain what you mean by applicant number in the pipeline? I'll be sure to ask on follow-ups each month too now. Thanks so much for your feedback!
I got my acceptance today! Completed 9/21. Final Review 2/4. Acceptance 2/7.My application was finally moved into final review, after my badgering of admissions multiple times 😅😅 has anyone gotten an answer yet?
Last edited:
OMG I'm so happy for you! Persistence and patience are key! I hope to hear back with an acceptance too and see you and many others soon. Congrats again!I got my acceptance today!
Thank you! And yes definitely a lot of patience and persistence haha good luck and I also hope to see you and and more people's acceptance soon!OMG I'm so happy for you! Persistence and patience are key! I hope to hear back with an acceptance too and see you and many others soon. Congrats again!
OH CONGRATULATIONS!! I’m so happy for you!!! Hopefully I will hear the next couple days then, since our timeline was similar!I got my acceptance today!
I GOT MY ACCEPTANCE!!! LETS GOOOOOSo I spoke with someone in the admissions office and she said my application was in final review. However I never received an email saying it was (which I thought they do). Got a confirmation email about my application being complete 11/06/2020.
Just got a rejection email, I'm gonna ask for a more thorough review of my application, as well as new updates such as a new Mcat score of 503 and etc, hopefully works out
Check your messages.This may be super early but as acceptances are coming in if anyone wants to room together lemme know! (Preferably 2 other girls) and also I've lived in Blacksburg before so I kinda know my way around apartment hunting
MCAT: n/a (I'm taking it this May)For those who got acceptances, would you be willing to share your stats?
Overall GPA: 3.22
Science GPA: 3.0
Clinical Volunteering: I was volunteering in the emergency room (118 hours)
Clinical Shadowing: I did a lot in physical therapy clinics but since I think that wouldn't count, I did about (14 hours) all virtual. (4 hours virtual shadowing) and (10 hours of live OR shadowing virtually through BRAINterns program)
Research Experience: Nada
Other non-clinical volunteering around my college community and leadership-wise I was a peer mentor for about a year in an integrative health class
Last edited:
Sorry to hear that!!Just got a rejection email, I'm gonna ask for a more thorough review of my application, as well as new updates such as a new Mcat score of 503 and etc, hopefully works out
When was you application verified?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not completely sure, I applied via aacomas like a week ago
My application was submitted on 12/7, completed on 1/13, final review on 2/4, and accepted today!Oh great job, guys!! Out of curiosity, when did your application get completed and how long did you have to wait to hear back for an acceptance or even final review? Wishing y'all the best!
Just got my acceptance!
Congrats, guys!! Out of curiosity, when did your application get completed and how long did you have to wait to hear back for an acceptance or even final review? I know the general wait is 4-8 weeks, but I wanted to hear more confirmation since it's been a month already for me. Overall, wishing many of you all the best!I received my acceptance too!
Hi everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone else was in this situation but I wanted to see. I currently have a 503 MCAT (125 in every section but CARS), 3.56 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa. I have ample clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I haven't received an interview for VCOM this cycle and they've said they had a lot of people with gpas in the 3.7 range apply this cycle so I'm strongly considering MABS. Does anyone know if it's a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed seat if you meet benchmarks? If it is just a guaranteed interview I am a little iffy about applying.
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!
Hey, I am in a similar boat as you. So the program is a guaranteed seat if you meet the benchmarks. I talked with admissions at VCOM and they told me to check in with them in March before sending over my application to the MABS program.Hi everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone else was in this situation but I wanted to see. I currently have a 503 MCAT (125 in every section but CARS), 3.56 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa. I have ample clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I haven't received an interview for VCOM this cycle and they've said they had a lot of people with gpas in the 3.7 range apply this cycle so I'm strongly considering MABS. Does anyone know if it's a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed seat if you meet benchmarks? If it is just a guaranteed interview I am a little iffy about applying.
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!
Awh that is such a long wait, but at least you are in the final review stage and from what I heard, you can hear back anytime now! Good luck!I am getting so impatient!!! 😩😩
I was verified the end of November and in final review on 2/4. I emailed yesterday but haven’t heard back from Sheila
Hi there! I applied to VCOM near the end of August but waited up to January without hearing back for an interview, so I was worried and called admissions. They gave me some advice that really motivated me to transfer my application to MABS on January 13th. Here are my reasons: Even though I have a 3.89 GPA, I took the MCAT three times with the highest score being a 496. It's also because I applied rather late in the cycle and I have been out of school since fall 2017 despite graduating really early. I took a lot of time off preparing for the MCAT to no avail but also gaining experiences in research and clinical volunteering/shadowing. So in a sense, I "gave up" on an interview invite for good reasons on how to better prepare myself for the rigors of medicine and I feel like this program will definitely help.Hi everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone else was in this situation but I wanted to see. I currently have a 503 MCAT (125 in every section but CARS), 3.56 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa. I have ample clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I haven't received an interview for VCOM this cycle and they've said they had a lot of people with gpas in the 3.7 range apply this cycle so I'm strongly considering MABS. Does anyone know if it's a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed seat if you meet benchmarks? If it is just a guaranteed interview I am a little iffy about applying.
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!
As to the whole guaranteed admissions thing, the program has recently updated their website and seems like it has slightly changed. Basically, it's still guaranteed as long as you meet the benchmarks (which have also been slightly updated) and have a positive interview evaluation with the faculty committee. It's not the same as a medical school interview; it's briefer and serves as a way to assess a student's professionalism and fitness for VCOM.
If you are deciding what to do, I agree with the commenter after you on waiting until sometime in March for an interview just in case before switching over to the MABS application. You can wait even longer than that if you think you have a shot at an interview with your states. Just keep in mind that the MABS application closes in April. All the best to you!
Thank you!Hi there! I applied to VCOM near the end of August but waited up to January without hearing back for an interview, so I was worried and called admissions. They gave me some advice that really motivated me to transfer my application to MABS on January 13th. Here are my reasons: Even though I have a 3.89 GPA, I took the MCAT three times with the highest score being a 496. It's also because I applied rather late in the cycle and I have been out of school since fall 2017 despite graduating really early. I took a lot of time off preparing for the MCAT to no avail but also gaining experiences in research and clinical volunteering/shadowing. So in a sense, I "gave up" on an interview invite for good reasons on how to better prepare myself for the rigors of medicine and I feel like this program will definitely help.
As to the whole guaranteed admissions thing, the program has recently updated their website and seems like it has slightly changed. Basically, it's still guaranteed as long as you meet the benchmarks (which have also been slightly updated) and have a positive interview evaluation with the faculty committee. It's not the same as a medical school interview; it's briefer and serves as a way to assess a student's professionalism and fitness for VCOM.
If you are deciding what to do, I agree with the commenter after you on waiting until sometime in March for an interview just in case before switching over to the MABS application. You can wait even longer than that if you think you have a shot at an interview with your states. Just keep in mind that the MABS application closes in April. All the best to you!
Did you email them and ask specifically about transferring your app? Were they able to give specific advice or was it more general? Thank you!Hey, I am in a similar boat as you. So the program is a guaranteed seat if you meet the benchmarks. I talked with admissions at VCOM and they told me to check in with them in March before sending over my application to the MABS program.
I talked to Alisa Hewitt and she said typically a student who is accepted will launch the facebook group so basically you can make one if you wantHas a Facebook page for this group been made yet for people who have been accepted?
Last edited:
Check your DMDid you email them and ask specifically about transferring your app? Were they able to give specific advice or was it more general? Thank you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m about to make a fb group for those accepted people if anyone is willing to join?
Oh that's awesome, thanks guys! I'd love to join once I hear back on an acceptance 🙂For my accepted friends:
Join the FB group created 🙂 Would love to see all of you in there and start making connections early.
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone! As a good amount of us are still waiting to hopefully get acceptances to MABS, I would like to ask those accepted on what they think stood out in their application that landed them a spot in the program. Of course, besides meeting the GPA and MCAT cut-offs, were there other things that probably helped (like experiences)?
Also as a reminder for everyone, regardless if you've been accepted to a program or not, make sure you fill out your FAFSA as early as possible. I filled out mine not too long ago. The earlier you do this, the more financial benefits, grants, loans, etc. you can gain from that as opposed to waiting to do so later. All the best!
Also as a reminder for everyone, regardless if you've been accepted to a program or not, make sure you fill out your FAFSA as early as possible. I filled out mine not too long ago. The earlier you do this, the more financial benefits, grants, loans, etc. you can gain from that as opposed to waiting to do so later. All the best!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 3K