VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you email Sheila Ballard? In the zoom meeting she said to email her!
I did but I may have gotten the wrong email... do you mind sharing?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey yall, hope everyone's doing well.
Reapplicant to DO schools this cycle, keep getting waitlisted at schools so I'm trying to do a program where I dont waste another year of waiting like right now. I was wondering if anyone had sub 3.0 (2.6 sgpa) and if that was ok to apply with here. I did an SMP at another medical school and got a 3.4 and a 501, but theres no strong linkage unless you kill the mcat there. My cumulative gpa from aacomas is sub 3, but I have stats from later on that are pretty much all A's and B's.

Sucks to be thinking of doing 2 masters, but it is what it is. If anyone knows please let me know, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the other day that if we applied through AACOMAS to VCOM we can use that same application for the MABS program. Does anyone know how to do that? I tried emailing but the people have been unresponsive so far. Also would you guys think that writing a separate application instead of reusing our AACOMAS app would be better?
No, it's actually highly recommended to transfer your AACOMAS VCOM application to MABS. It would save you so much time and it's basically the same mission statement, essays, letters of recommendation requirements, etc. Attached are the instructions on how to make that transfer. You have to notify Ms. Alisa Hewitt for this. All the best!

Attachments

• Instructions for Transferring App to MABS.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 160
Hey yall, hope everyone's doing well.
Reapplicant to DO schools this cycle, keep getting waitlisted at schools so I'm trying to do a program where I dont waste another year of waiting like right now. I was wondering if anyone had sub 3.0 (2.6 sgpa) and if that was ok to apply with here. I did an SMP at another medical school and got a 3.4 and a 501, but theres no strong linkage unless you kill the mcat there. My cumulative gpa from aacomas is sub 3, but I have stats from later on that are pretty much all A's and B's.

Sucks to be thinking of doing 2 masters, but it is what it is. If anyone knows please let me know, thanks.
I had a similar experience. If your sGPA isn’t over a 3.0, there may be a chance that your application gets filtered out (mine did). If this happens to you, I’d call and state your case, and see if they will take an additional look at your application.

So has it changed from an automatic acceptance to a guaranteed formal interview?

Also, I was unable to access the handbook. What is the start date of the actual semester?

Thanks!

I had a similar experience. If your sGPA isn’t over a 3.0, there may be a chance that your application gets filtered out (mine did). If this happens to you, I’d call and state your case, and see if they will take an additional look at your application.
Did you have any luck with this?

Any updates on when we should hear back? When I talked to them a few weeks ago, they said end of January.

Any updates on when we should hear back? When I talked to them a few weeks ago, they said end of January.
When did you apply? My application was verified on 01/04 I still haven’t heard anything.

My application was transferred over Friday. Hoping to hear news by the end of the month.

Hey guys I just received an email now from the committee that I'm now in final review and that I should hear back soon for an admissions decision so fingers crossed lol!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My application was finally moved into final review, after my badgering of admissions multiple times 😅😅 has anyone gotten an answer yet?

Hey guys I just received an email now from the committee that I'm now in final review and that I should hear back soon for an admissions decision so fingers crossed lol!
Oh congrats!!! When was your transfer complete btw so that we can be aware of how long you had to wait to reach this final review stage? Thank you and good luck!

Oh congrats!!! When was your transfer complete btw so that we can be aware of how long you had to wait to reach this final review stage? Thank you and good luck!
Thank you!! I actually applied straight into the program so I had nothing to transfer over since I didn't apply to VCOM but I was marked complete on 9/21 and then my app was sent to final review 2/4. Since they are sending out decisions on a rolling basis I think it will vary per how many applications are in the pipeline. Usually I would always follow up every month. Good luck to you too!

• Care
From previous years it seems like they would have had a decision for people that applied early already. Is it possible that they have a higher volume of applicants this year?

Thank you!! I actually applied straight into the program so I had nothing to transfer over since I didn't apply to VCOM but I was marked complete on 9/21 and then my app was sent to final review 2/4. Since they are sending out decisions on a rolling basis I think it will vary per how many applications are in the pipeline. Usually I would always follow up every month. Good luck to you too!
Awesome!! I didn't realize that even early applicants in September have to wait so many months to hear back for final review - in your case, up to February! Since I had my transfer completed in January, will I have to wait a few months to hear back too? I was hoping to hear back in early March at the latest lol. Can you explain what you mean by applicant number in the pipeline? I'll be sure to ask on follow-ups each month too now. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Awesome!! I didn't realize that even early applicants in September have to wait so many months to hear back for final review - in your case, up to February! Since I had my transfer completed in January, will I have to wait a few months to hear back too? I was hoping to hear back in early March at the latest lol. Can you explain what you mean by applicant number in the pipeline? I'll be sure to ask on follow-ups each month too now. Thanks so much for your feedback!
By applicant number in the pipeline I meant the amount of applications in the system thats in the process of being reviewed. Also sorry I wish I had an estimate of when you might hear back but I think you might know the most if you contact admissions lol like I definitely kept politely emailing! I just know they are sending out decisions on a rolling basis and it just might be taking a while longer because of current circumstances like COVID and making changes to the benchmarks within the program which might have contributed to the delay.

My application was finally moved into final review, after my badgering of admissions multiple times 😅😅 has anyone gotten an answer yet?
I got my acceptance today! Completed 9/21. Final Review 2/4. Acceptance 2/7.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
I got my acceptance today!
OMG I'm so happy for you! Persistence and patience are key! I hope to hear back with an acceptance too and see you and many others soon. Congrats again!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
OMG I'm so happy for you! Persistence and patience are key! I hope to hear back with an acceptance too and see you and many others soon. Congrats again!
Thank you! And yes definitely a lot of patience and persistence haha good luck and I also hope to see you and and more people's acceptance soon!

• Love
I got my acceptance today!
OH CONGRATULATIONS!! I’m so happy for you!!! Hopefully I will hear the next couple days then, since our timeline was similar!

• Love
  • Care
So I spoke with someone in the admissions office and she said my application was in final review. However I never received an email saying it was (which I thought they do). Got a confirmation email about my application being complete 11/06/2020.
I GOT MY ACCEPTANCE!!! LETS GOOOOO

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
This may be super early but as acceptances are coming in if anyone wants to room together lemme know! (Preferably 2 other girls) and also I've lived in Blacksburg before so I kinda know my way around apartment hunting

Last edited:
Just got a rejection email, I'm gonna ask for a more thorough review of my application, as well as new updates such as a new Mcat score of 503 and etc, hopefully works out

This may be super early but as acceptances are coming in if anyone wants to room together lemme know! (Preferably 2 other girls) and also I've lived in Blacksburg before so I kinda know my way around apartment hunting
Check your messages.

For those who got acceptances, would you be willing to share your stats?

For those who got acceptances, would you be willing to share your stats?
MCAT: n/a (I'm taking it this May)
Overall GPA: 3.22
Science GPA: 3.0
Clinical Volunteering: I was volunteering in the emergency room (118 hours)
Clinical Shadowing: I did a lot in physical therapy clinics but since I think that wouldn't count, I did about (14 hours) all virtual. (4 hours virtual shadowing) and (10 hours of live OR shadowing virtually through BRAINterns program)
Research Experience: Nada
Other non-clinical volunteering around my college community and leadership-wise I was a peer mentor for about a year in an integrative health class

Last edited:
Just got a rejection email, I'm gonna ask for a more thorough review of my application, as well as new updates such as a new Mcat score of 503 and etc, hopefully works out
Sorry to hear that!!
When was you application verified?

Not completely sure, I applied via aacomas like a week ago

Just got my acceptance!
Complete in mid October, moved to final review on 2/4, accepted on 2/15.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Oh great job, guys!! Out of curiosity, when did your application get completed and how long did you have to wait to hear back for an acceptance or even final review? Wishing y'all the best!
My application was submitted on 12/7, completed on 1/13, final review on 2/4, and accepted today!

• Love
Just got my acceptance!
I received my acceptance too!
Congrats, guys!! Out of curiosity, when did your application get completed and how long did you have to wait to hear back for an acceptance or even final review? I know the general wait is 4-8 weeks, but I wanted to hear more confirmation since it's been a month already for me. Overall, wishing many of you all the best!

I am getting so impatient!!! 😩😩

I was verified the end of November and in final review on 2/4. I emailed yesterday but haven’t heard back from Sheila

Hi everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone else was in this situation but I wanted to see. I currently have a 503 MCAT (125 in every section but CARS), 3.56 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa. I have ample clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I haven't received an interview for VCOM this cycle and they've said they had a lot of people with gpas in the 3.7 range apply this cycle so I'm strongly considering MABS. Does anyone know if it's a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed seat if you meet benchmarks? If it is just a guaranteed interview I am a little iffy about applying.
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!

Hi everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone else was in this situation but I wanted to see. I currently have a 503 MCAT (125 in every section but CARS), 3.56 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa. I have ample clinical and non-clinical volunteering. I haven't received an interview for VCOM this cycle and they've said they had a lot of people with gpas in the 3.7 range apply this cycle so I'm strongly considering MABS. Does anyone know if it's a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed seat if you meet benchmarks? If it is just a guaranteed interview I am a little iffy about applying.
Also for anyone who transferred their application, when did you wait and give up on an interview invite? I've been in contact with admissions and the've said for some of the applicants who they interview late and are waitlisted they are offering them automatic admission for the class of 2026 without reapplying so I'm trying to weigh my options. Thank you!
Hey, I am in a similar boat as you. So the program is a guaranteed seat if you meet the benchmarks. I talked with admissions at VCOM and they told me to check in with them in March before sending over my application to the MABS program.

I am getting so impatient!!! 😩😩

I was verified the end of November and in final review on 2/4. I emailed yesterday but haven’t heard back from Sheila
Awh that is such a long wait, but at least you are in the final review stage and from what I heard, you can hear back anytime now! Good luck!

Hi there! I applied to VCOM near the end of August but waited up to January without hearing back for an interview, so I was worried and called admissions. They gave me some advice that really motivated me to transfer my application to MABS on January 13th. Here are my reasons: Even though I have a 3.89 GPA, I took the MCAT three times with the highest score being a 496. It's also because I applied rather late in the cycle and I have been out of school since fall 2017 despite graduating really early. I took a lot of time off preparing for the MCAT to no avail but also gaining experiences in research and clinical volunteering/shadowing. So in a sense, I "gave up" on an interview invite for good reasons on how to better prepare myself for the rigors of medicine and I feel like this program will definitely help.

As to the whole guaranteed admissions thing, the program has recently updated their website and seems like it has slightly changed. Basically, it's still guaranteed as long as you meet the benchmarks (which have also been slightly updated) and have a positive interview evaluation with the faculty committee. It's not the same as a medical school interview; it's briefer and serves as a way to assess a student's professionalism and fitness for VCOM.

If you are deciding what to do, I agree with the commenter after you on waiting until sometime in March for an interview just in case before switching over to the MABS application. You can wait even longer than that if you think you have a shot at an interview with your states. Just keep in mind that the MABS application closes in April. All the best to you!

Hi there! I applied to VCOM near the end of August but waited up to January without hearing back for an interview, so I was worried and called admissions. They gave me some advice that really motivated me to transfer my application to MABS on January 13th. Here are my reasons: Even though I have a 3.89 GPA, I took the MCAT three times with the highest score being a 496. It's also because I applied rather late in the cycle and I have been out of school since fall 2017 despite graduating really early. I took a lot of time off preparing for the MCAT to no avail but also gaining experiences in research and clinical volunteering/shadowing. So in a sense, I "gave up" on an interview invite for good reasons on how to better prepare myself for the rigors of medicine and I feel like this program will definitely help.

As to the whole guaranteed admissions thing, the program has recently updated their website and seems like it has slightly changed. Basically, it's still guaranteed as long as you meet the benchmarks (which have also been slightly updated) and have a positive interview evaluation with the faculty committee. It's not the same as a medical school interview; it's briefer and serves as a way to assess a student's professionalism and fitness for VCOM.

If you are deciding what to do, I agree with the commenter after you on waiting until sometime in March for an interview just in case before switching over to the MABS application. You can wait even longer than that if you think you have a shot at an interview with your states. Just keep in mind that the MABS application closes in April. All the best to you!
Thank you!

Hey, I am in a similar boat as you. So the program is a guaranteed seat if you meet the benchmarks. I talked with admissions at VCOM and they told me to check in with them in March before sending over my application to the MABS program.
Did you email them and ask specifically about transferring your app? Were they able to give specific advice or was it more general? Thank you!

Has a Facebook page for this group been made yet for people who have been accepted?

Has a Facebook page for this group been made yet for people who have been accepted?
I talked to Alisa Hewitt and she said typically a student who is accepted will launch the facebook group so basically you can make one if you want

Last edited:
I’m about to make a fb group for those accepted people if anyone is willing to join?

For my accepted friends:

Join the FB group created :) Would love to see all of you in there and start making connections early.

I’m about to make a fb group for those accepted people if anyone is willing to join?
For my accepted friends:

Join the FB group created :) Would love to see all of you in there and start making connections early.

Oh that's awesome, thanks guys! I'd love to join once I hear back on an acceptance :)

Hey everyone! As a good amount of us are still waiting to hopefully get acceptances to MABS, I would like to ask those accepted on what they think stood out in their application that landed them a spot in the program. Of course, besides meeting the GPA and MCAT cut-offs, were there other things that probably helped (like experiences)?

Also as a reminder for everyone, regardless if you've been accepted to a program or not, make sure you fill out your FAFSA as early as possible. I filled out mine not too long ago. The earlier you do this, the more financial benefits, grants, loans, etc. you can gain from that as opposed to waiting to do so later. All the best!