VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s taking vcom a really long time to give me a decision considering the program is how many days away?? :cautious:
Thankfully I was just pulled off a waitlist for a DO school so I’ll be withdrawing my app.
Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Current MABS student, if anyone needs a 2 bedroom apartment me and my roommate are moving out of the Reserve at Knollwood. Which is not even 2 minute drive to the classroom and walking distance to vcom campus - DM me!
I just got accepted and interested

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back yet that went into final review mid/end of april as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have Alisa Hewitt's (from VCOM MABS) phone number, by any chance?

Does anyone have Alisa Hewitt's (from VCOM MABS) phone number, by any chance?

I sent an email a few days ago and didn’t get a reply so I called the admissions office twice yesterday and no one answered both times but I haven’t tried calling Alisa Hewitt directly yet. From what I found on the VCOM website her number is 540-231-8687. Let me know if you hear anything! I saw someone mentioned they heard a decision around 5 weeks after going into final review and I am right around that time.

Just got my acceptance! Was moved into final review on April 16th! Looking for potential roommates.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have any suggestions for two bedroom apartments that are relatively near the campus?? I loved the crossing at knollwood but it’s a little pricey for what I can afford.
At what price range are you comfortable ? Dm me

Hey. I am looking for a female roomate to lease an apartment . Dm me of interested

Also if you are selling barely used items such as table , bed , etc . Dm me

Members don't see this ad :)
morning everybody!! after waiting for so long, I finally got my acceptance letter this morning 😄

submitted: apr 15
final review: apr 20

Reactions: 3 users
Do any of the current students on this thread know of anyone or have worked themselves during the program? I know having a job isn’t recommended but I just wanted to see my options.

Does anyone know how hard it is to reach the benchmarks GPA wise in the program? Any current student opinions on this?

Anyone hear back yet? I submitted my application on April 15 and it went into final review on April 26. Have yet to hear back.

Does anyone know how hard it is to reach the benchmarks GPA wise in the program? Any current student opinions on this?
GPA benchmarks and very easily attainable! Especially fall, as I though fall was much easier than spring semester.

Just got my acceptance email!

Submitted: april 15
Final review: April 26
cGPA: 3.32
sGPA: 3.34

• Care
Starting this year, Bluefield Vcom is offering an OMABS program which is almost equivalent to the regular MABS program. It is an online program that mimics a similar curriculum to MABS. Has anyone gotten in contact with the faculty and staff to discuss the potential linkage to the DO program after meeting the benchmarks? How is a relative week of a student in OMABS would look like? etc..

Starting this year, Bluefield Vcom is offering an OMABS program which is almost equivalent to the regular MABS program. It is an online program that mimics a similar curriculum to MABS. Has anyone gotten in contact with the faculty and staff to discuss the potential linkage to the DO program after meeting the benchmarks? How is a relative week of a student in OMABS would look like? etc..
According to the email they recently sent, OMABS spreads out the program to within two years and only gives a guaranteed interview (not an evaluation by the MABS-to-DO Interview Committee) after meeting benchmarks

I sent an email a few days ago and didn’t get a reply so I called the admissions office twice yesterday and no one answered both times but I haven’t tried calling Alisa Hewitt directly yet. From what I found on the VCOM website her number is 540-231-8687. Let me know if you hear anything! I saw someone mentioned they heard a decision around 5 weeks after going into final review and I am right around that time.
I sent 2 emails and left a voicemail for Alisa Hewitt and still haven’t heard back. I was told by Sheila Ballard that I’d have an answer by June 1st so im at a loss for what to do even now

I'm sorry you haven't heard back yet. I would call Shiela Ballard. I heard back and got accepted!

Anyone hear back yet? I submitted my application on April 15 and it went into final review on April 26. Have yet to hear back.
I also was sent an email on April 26th saying my application went into final review but haven't heard anything back... not sure what's going on.

I also was sent an email on April 26th saying my application went into final review but haven't heard anything back... not sure what's going on.
Not sure how helpful this is but I had emailed the dean and he said that they're still working through the final applications so it may just be taking longer than expected?

Do any of the current students on this thread know of anyone or have worked themselves during the program? I know having a job isn’t recommended but I just wanted to see my options.
I know someone who worked on and off and they made it successfully. But still, strongly not recommended

Hello, I just got accepted into the program. Are you still looking for a roommate?
Hey sorry . I just got approved for an apartment . However, the apartment I’m in does have rooms available

Hi! I just got my acceptance today. Also looking for potential roommates/housing.

Can someone recommend nice apartments?

Is there any nice apartments that students from the MABS program live at usually?

For my accepted friends:

Join the FB group created :) Would love to see all of you in there and start making connections early.

Hey all, join the Facebook group to meet other accepted students and possibly roommates!

Hello, Application submitted on April 15 and went to Final review on April 26th. I was placed on Waitlist recently, Anyone had the same experience. Anyone know someone who got accepted after being on the waitlist ?

According to the email they recently sent, OMABS spreads out the program to within two years and only gives a guaranteed interview (not an evaluation by the MABS-to-DO Interview Committee) after meeting benchmarks
Bummer so there’s no real linkage with the online MABS program? Do you know if you could do this program in a year timeframe? Any other info you can share on this program? Thanks!

Bummer so there’s no real linkage with the online MABS program? Do you know if you could do this program in a year timeframe? Any other info you can share on this program? Thanks
You can complete it in a year or two years. The benchmarks would need to be met half through the program for the one year choice. So in December/January. You would conduct a full medical school interview sometime in January at one of the four campus locations. The classes are the pretty much the same between both MABS and OMABS and it’s broken up into six eight-week terms. That would be 2 different courses every eight weeks versus the fall/spring semester in MABS.

I just got my acceptance 2 days ago and I am waiting for more updates! So I was told when I emailed Mrs. Hewitt 3 days ago that they are in the final stages of getting through all the final review applicants -- meaning maybe a couple more weeks and everyone should be getting a decision soon

Didn't get off the waitlist for the MABS program but decided on doing the OMABS program. Recently graduated from Virginia Tech so I'll be keeping my apartment in Blacksburg. It is a Knollwood condominium 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit which is a couple of minutes away from VCOM, rent is 1445 a month. So split between two people is 722 a month. PM if interested, looking for a female roommate. Also lease starts July 21!

Last edited:
Bummer so there’s no real linkage with the online MABS program? Do you know if you could do this program in a year timeframe? Any other info you can share on this program? Thanks!
You can complete it in a year or two years. The benchmarks would need to be met half through the program for the one year choice. So in December/January. You would conduct a full medical school interview sometime in January at one of the four campus locations. The classes are the pretty much the same between both MABS and OMABS and it’s broken up into six eight-week terms. That would be 2 different courses every eight weeks versus the fall/spring semester in MABS.
^ Yes, most of the details of OMABS were just mentioned there, thanks! Refer to this statement as well: "MABS is offered over ten months through two semesters, OMABS is offered via six 8-week terms, with two courses offered per term. Students can opt to take both courses each term and complete the program in 11.5 months, or take one course per term and complete the program in 23.5 months."

Additionally, according to the dean, Dr. Hill, only OMABS will provide the recorded lectures while MABS itself won't this time (just an FYI). Hope this helps!

Hello, Application submitted on April 15 and went to Final review on April 26th. I was placed on Waitlist recently, Anyone had the same experience. Anyone know someone who got accepted after being on the waitlist ?
I’ve heard from past students that people have gotten off the waitlist as late as the week before the program starts! I would just be prepared for that and maybe keep a look out of a potential place to stay in the meantime. A lot of the apartments nearby tend to fill up fast.

Hi everyone, I recently got accepted into the MABS to DO program. Does anyone know if we are guaranteed admissions upon successful completion of our course work?
As in, do they reserve seats for the MABS students who successfully complete the course work like other programs?

Also can any on can anyone apply to the MABS program or it is only weight-listed candidates from the DO application?

Hi everyone, I recently got accepted into the MABS to DO program. Does anyone know if we are guaranteed admissions upon successful completion of our course work?
As in, do they reserve seats for the MABS students who successfully complete the course work like other programs?

Also can any on can anyone apply to the MABS program or it is only weight-listed candidates from the DO application?

Hi! In the past years it was a guaranteed acceptance pending you meet the benchmarks but recently they have changed it to guaranteed interview with the MABS to DO committee/dean. Additionally if you meet Fall semester benchmarks, you must still meet the Spring semester benchmarks to keep that seat if you do well in the interview. And anyone can apply to the MABS program but some applicants are transferred from the DO admissions.

Hi! In the past years it was a guaranteed acceptance pending you meet the benchmarks but recently they have changed it to guaranteed interview with the MABS to DO committee/dean. Additionally if you meet Fall semester benchmarks, you must still meet the Spring semester benchmarks to keep that seat if you do well in the interview. And anyone can apply to the MABS program but some applicants are transferred from the DO admissions.
So there are people who meet the benchmarks and still don't get accepted?

Does anyone know if students typically stay in virginia? How do they make placement decisions

Do you know if they require students to resubmit their aacomas application? Also, do you know these people personally, is it their interview they blew?
I do know these students personally. They met December benchmarks and then something went “wrong” in the interview stage and they were rejected for this cycle.

Does anyone know if students typically stay in virginia? How do they make placement decisions
It’s based on where your live/went to undergrad. If you live/went to school in the Appalachian area, then you’ll be placed at the va campus, sc takes those from that area and then all other areas outside of this region go to the other two campuses. They made it pretty clear that unless you have extenuating circumstances you won’t likely be able to change campuses.