VCOM/Bluefield MABS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

98U

Reaction score
New thread for the current application cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long before we get notified for final review? I was told my application was complete on 9/21

Members don't see this ad :)
How long before we get notified for final review? I was told my application was complete on 9/21
No idea! Its pretty early for them to start their review process so I think that it will be starting in December but I am not sure!

Reactions: 1 users
Is MABS an online program now? Blue field has it listed under online graduate degrees.

My application was just verified on postbac today

Does anyone know if they accept online prereqs (Doane, NEU, etc) in normal/non Covid times?

Is MABS an online program now? Blue field has it listed under online graduate degrees.

It's supposed to be on campus but I think it might change depending on COVID

Has anyone gotten an update on their application??

I’m still waiting to be moved to final review as well, and I was marked complete in mid-October

In my email they said 2-4 weeks to move to final review, depending on the volume of applicants.

I am currently in the program and as a result of COVID all classes have been online. But, we go in once a week for exams. I am not sure how it will change next year, but that is the case this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m still waiting to be moved to final review as well, and I was marked complete in mid-October
I think they might be doing Dec benchmarks for those in the program at the moment and maybe that's why it's taking some time, but that's just my theory

Hi guys! I’m applying as a senior in undergrad and currently still working on my application as I heard about this program fairly late compared to everyone else. I know the deadline isn’t until April but is submitting my application around end of January considered too late compared to how competitive and popular this program is now? Also how is everyone’s stats looking? I fear mine may be not so good.

cGPA: 3.618
sGPA: 3.472
MCAT: n/a (I haven’t taken it as I saw it wasn’t required?)
~125 hours of community service (of which are not clinically related, not sure if that matters?)
~50 hours of virtual shadowing (no real in person experience due to COVID! ugh)
6 credits of research in a micro bio lab

I realize I don’t have much clinical experience but I figured that might be okay as this program states one of its goals is to help with that and boosting applications to med school. Basically I only know much as the Bluefield/VCOM website states & would like to hear personal experiences from everyone who has applied or is applying.. thanks! :)
Currently in the program. Your stats are good in my opinion. Also there are always people who apply extremely late and get in with similar or lower stats 👍🏾

Hi everyone! Just submitted my application for this cycle. Have there been any acceptances yet?

Hi guys! I’m applying as a senior in undergrad and currently still working on my application as I heard about this program fairly late compared to everyone else. I know the deadline isn’t until April but is submitting my application around end of January considered too late compared to how competitive and popular this program is now? Also how is everyone’s stats looking? I fear mine may be not so good.

cGPA: 3.618
sGPA: 3.472
MCAT: n/a (I haven’t taken it as I saw it wasn’t required?)
~125 hours of community service (of which are not clinically related, not sure if that matters?)
~50 hours of virtual shadowing (no real in person experience due to COVID! ugh)
6 credits of research in a micro bio lab

I realize I don’t have much clinical experience but I figured that might be okay as this program states one of its goals is to help with that and boosting applications to med school. Basically I only know much as the Bluefield/VCOM website states & would like to hear personal experiences from everyone who has applied or is applying.. thanks! :)
Hi! I think your stats are pretty good and you’re definitely not applying late, in my opinion. Are you from their target region of the Appalachia? They really favor those applicants. Also, I highly recommend you get the MCAT over with before the semester starts in July! Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey guys, do you think it's too late to apply to this program? Just to confirm, if we meet the benchmarks in the program we automatically get acceptance to one of the VCOM campuses? I tried to reach out to the admissions team but haven't heard back. Thank you!

So I spoke with someone in the admissions office and she said my application was in final review. However I never received an email saying it was (which I thought they do). Got a confirmation email about my application being complete 11/06/2020.

So I spoke with someone in the admissions office and she said my application was in final review. However I never received an email saying it was (which I thought they do). Got a confirmation email about my application being complete 11/06/2020.
So do you think that would apply to all people who applied early?

Hey guys, do you think it's too late to apply to this program? Just to confirm, if we meet the benchmarks in the program we automatically get acceptance to one of the VCOM campuses? I tried to reach out to the admissions team but haven't heard back. Thank you!
Hello, current student. It's not too late to apply. I applied in April of 2020 and got in at the beginning of June and began the end of July. There's been an apparent change in terms of the deal that this program offers, though. My current class was accepted under the terms of acceptance into VCOM if the benchmarks were met but they changed it swiftly to requiring interviews maybe a week or so before they took place. The site now says the program offers a guaranteed interview with VCOM if the benchmarks are met, so I am assuming those are the terms that the following classes are being accepted under. Kind of a gray area for the current students, though.

Hello, current student. It's not too late to apply. I applied in April of 2020 and got in at the beginning of June and began the end of July. There's been an apparent change in terms of the deal that this program offers, though. My current class was accepted under the terms of acceptance into VCOM if the benchmarks were met but they changed it swiftly to requiring interviews maybe a week or so before they took place. The site now says the program offers a guaranteed interview with VCOM if the benchmarks are met, so I am assuming those are the terms that the following classes are being accepted under. Kind of a gray area for the current students, though.
Thank you for the response! It’s pretty confusing because online it says that as long as you meet the bench marks you will get an admission, not just an interview. Do you think the website is out of date? I tried emailing the admissions team but have had no luck. I’m going to try to call tomorrow.

Thank you for the response! It’s pretty confusing because online it says that as long as you meet the bench marks you will get an admission, not just an interview. Do you think the website is out of date? I tried emailing the admissions team but have had no luck. I’m going to try to call tomorrow.
I honestly think they're stalling on responding because they're still trying to sort things out. Patience is key! It's hard for everyone to adjust to things right now. Hopefully, the details of it all will clear up soon, but don't feel bad. Those of us in the program are just as perplexed as those applying.

So do you think that would apply to all people who applied early?
Idk honestly. Hard to say. She was pretty short with her responses with my application, which is fair bc COVID and all that ****. However, I did not receive that email that says my application is under "Final review" so that raised my eyebrows a little. Sorry this probably didn't help at all LMAOO

Hi! I think your stats are pretty good and you’re definitely not applying late, in my opinion. Are you from their target region of the Appalachia? They really favor those applicants. Also, I highly recommend you get the MCAT over with before the semester starts in July! Let me know if you have any questions.
I’m not from the Appalachia region but for the past four years I have attended undergrad here! The clinical opportunities aren’t as available here compared to where I’m from so it was difficult for me to access them while in college. Do you recommend getting the MCAT over with before submitting my application or just before starting the semester if I get in the program?

I’m not from the Appalachia region but for the past four years I have attended undergrad here! The clinical opportunities aren’t as available here compared to where I’m from so it was difficult for me to access them while in college. Do you recommend getting the MCAT over with before submitting my application or just before starting the semester if I get in the program?
Please fight to get the MCAT done before the program! It will be brutal considering the volume of material to do both! I took mine days before the semester started and I was still worn out. You can imagine how exhausting it would be to do both. I took me about 2.5 months of constant studying. Also make sure you take as many practice tests as possible.

Last edited:
I talked to admissions a couple days ago and they said they are hoping to be caught up with applications by the end of the month. So hopefully some of us who applied the last couple months will be getting answers soon!

I think she said they have been having problems with transcripts transferring because of covid. Anyway, best of luck everyone! I can’t wait to have this anxiety not hanging over my head!! Lol

Last edited:
Hi everyone! First time posting into SDN lol. So I decided to withdraw my VCOM med school application bc of not receiving an interview yet and with my stats being 3.89 GPA, but with a 496 MCAT (3rd final attempt), and almost 3 yrs out of school since undergrad, I was recommended to transfer to MABS to better prepare myself for med school! Hopefully, that was the right choice. I've heard great things about this program even helping students be better learners, esp. in block 1 of their first year. Here are my questions so far:

1. Does MABS require an interview for acceptance or do we just find out in 4-ish weeks with the final decision after they look through our application?

2. Since the capped size for MABS is like 130 students and VCOM's class size is around 188 students, how does it accommodate everyone who achieves the benchmarks vs. regular med school applicants?

3. I read up from previous comments from this forum and I don't recall seeing MABS transitioning to guaranteed interviews. As far as I know, MABS is unique in that it offers guaranteed admissions to VCOM as early as December if the benchmarks are met. Can someone give me updates of the possible change?

4. As for financials, I am assuming we can take out federal loans for this master's program, but will that also cover housing? These are questions I can ask the admissions team too if I hopefully get in!

Thank you

Hi everyone! First time posting into SDN lol. So I decided to withdraw my VCOM med school application bc of not receiving an interview yet and with my stats being 3.89 GPA, but with a 496 MCAT (3rd final attempt), and almost 3 yrs out of school since undergrad, I was recommended to transfer to MABS to better prepare myself for med school! Hopefully, that was the right choice. I've heard great things about this program even helping students be better learners, esp. in block 1 of their first year. Here are my questions so far:

1. Does MABS require an interview for acceptance or do we just find out in 4-ish weeks with the final decision after they look through our application?

2. Since the capped size for MABS is like 130 students and VCOM's class size is around 188 students, how does it accommodate everyone who achieves the benchmarks vs. regular med school applicants?

3. I read up from previous comments from this forum and I don't recall seeing MABS transitioning to guaranteed interviews. As far as I know, MABS is unique in that it offers guaranteed admissions to VCOM as early as December if the benchmarks are met. Can someone give me updates of the possible change?

4. As for financials, I am assuming we can take out federal loans for this master's program, but will that also cover housing? These are questions I can ask the admissions team too if I hopefully get in!

Thank you
Hey! I messaged you.

So I just asked a previous MABS student for advice on what things we can get a brief overview of before starting this program, and she recommended anatomy, immunology, and histology. For anyone else who has taken or known about the program's courses, how specific with the medical anatomy are we getting? I'm assuming more than just bone anatomy... will there be muscle anatomy too? Please be specific. I'm sure a lot of us would like a headstart on some studying, nothing too extreme though lol. Thank you!

So I just asked a previous MABS student for advice on what things we can get a brief overview of before starting this program, and she recommended anatomy, immunology, and histology. For anyone else who has taken or known about the program's courses, how specific with the medical anatomy are we getting? I'm assuming more than just bone anatomy... will there be muscle anatomy too? Please be specific. I'm sure a lot of us would like a headstart on some studying, nothing too extreme though lol. Thank you!
During the fall semester we learned the anatomy which is mainly memorizing structures and functions. You will have to put a lot of effort for that class. There is a lot to know especially for the practicals. You start with bones, then muscles, then you move through the rest of the systems in the body such as the respiratory and the digestive systems. During the spring, we take physiology which is essentially the mechanisms and the functions of the structures we learned during the fall.
I hope this helps!

• Love
During the fall semester we learned the anatomy which is mainly memorizing structures and functions. You will have to put a lot of effort for that class. There is a lot to know especially for the practicals. You start with bones, then muscles, then you move through the rest of the systems in the body such as the respiratory and the digestive systems. During the spring, we take physiology which is essentially the mechanisms and the functions of the structures we learned during the fall.
I hope this helps!
Wow, thank you so much for answering my question and going into detail on what it'll involve! Can I ask you what practicals are exactly? I guess any jumpstart on studying is better than none right now. I bought myself an anatomy coloring book and while it's not as detailed, it's a good start! I also downloaded/bought the app "Essential Anatomy 5," which shows in detail a 3D model of the body, so I am hoping to begin soon on that!

How do you suggest one study something as heavy as anatomy, esp. for someone who never took it in undergrad? What kind of notes did you take?

The best way to study for anatomy is to go over the plastic models. If you don’t have access to them, I recommend watching YouTube videos of someone going over the models. To review for exams, I used Quizlet a lot! They have so many images and you can easily test yourself. The MABS program gives you access to a Virtual Human Dissector which is a computer application used by medical schools. In terms of notes, the PowerPoints are pretty detailed so it’s mostly a matter of going over them. I highly recommend you get a tablet to write down your own notes and annotate images. Also the majority of the class had their own study groups where they meet and study the material and they find it very helpful. However, I found studying alone as the best mode of learning for me personally since it takes me a while to learn things. Frankly, even though I had taken anatomy during undergrad, it felt like I barely knew anything without studying. In order to succeed in anatomy, you should find what mode of studying works best for you and honestly repetition is KEY!

• Love
Hey, does anyone know if this program still has the guaranteed acceptance to the VCOM med school, maybe any current students in the program? Someone in this thread mentioned that they are moving to a guaranteed interview if you meet the benchmarks but their website still mentions the guaranteed acceptance.

Hey, does anyone know if this program still has the guaranteed acceptance to the VCOM med school, maybe any current students in the program? Someone in this thread mentioned that they are moving to a guaranteed interview if you meet the benchmarks but their website still mentions the guaranteed acceptance.
It should be a guaranteed acceptance as long as you meet the GPA, MCAT, and the faculty endorsement.

The best way to study for anatomy is to go over the plastic models. If you don’t have access to them, I recommend watching YouTube videos of someone going over the models. To review for exams, I used Quizlet a lot! They have so many images and you can easily test yourself. The MABS program gives you access to a Virtual Human Dissector which is a computer application used by medical schools. In terms of notes, the PowerPoints are pretty detailed so it’s mostly a matter of going over them. I highly recommend you get a tablet to write down your own notes and annotate images. Also the majority of the class had their own study groups where they meet and study the material and they find it very helpful. However, I found studying alone as the best mode of learning for me personally since it takes me a while to learn things. Frankly, even though I had taken anatomy during undergrad, it felt like I barely knew anything without studying. In order to succeed in anatomy, you should find what mode of studying works best for you and honestly repetition is KEY!
Gotcha, I am currently looking through the bones first, and hopefully will incorporate the muscles in my overview before MABS begins lol! Wish me luck! And last question... what kind of laptop do you suggest for med school/MABS in general? Been looking for a new upgrade and since you mention the usefulness of a tablet, do you suggest a laptop with a stylus pen feature or have it separate along with a tablet? Thank you for all your feedback!

Gotcha, I am currently looking through the bones first, and hopefully will incorporate the muscles in my overview before MABS begins lol! Wish me luck! And last question... what kind of laptop do you suggest for med school/MABS in general? Been looking for a new upgrade and since you mention the usefulness of a tablet, do you suggest a laptop with a stylus pen feature or have it separate along with a tablet? Thank you for all your feedback!
I would recommend getting a tablet and a decent laptop. I find it very helpful to use the tablet as a notebook while you watch lectures on your laptop. I love apple and their products are highly reliable but with a high price to pay. For medical school, a lot of people have a laptop+a tablet+ a large monitor at home so that you can have a split screen. Honestly, the brands don’t matter that much as long as you look at the reviews before purchasing technology.

Good luck!!

• Love
Hi everyone! I am planning on applying to this program but I also applied to VCOM earlier in the cycle. Does anyone know if that affects our application either way? Also I am trying to figure out if the admissions board of the MABS program can see my DO application?

Hi everyone! I am planning on applying to this program but I also applied to VCOM earlier in the cycle. Does anyone know if that affects our application either way? Also I am trying to figure out if the admissions board of the MABS program can see my DO application?
From what I was told, we can’t apply to both at once. I had to withdraw my VCOM application to get my application transferred over to MABS. Hope that helps!

Hey guys! I attended today's VCOM MABS Program zoom event and it was really useful in answering some of our questions in this thread! Here were some things I learned, which are also updated on the website: MABS Benchmarks | Biomedical Sciences | Bluefield College

(1) The benchmark requirements have upgraded and increased. Meaning MCAT scores of 496-497 have to obtain a 3.75-4.0 GPA with a positive evaluation in order to meet the benchmark. This was different from the past, where it was a 3.6 GPA with that score at the time! Scores of 498+ can obtain a 3.6-3.74 GPA though. And now, those with a 494 or lower cannot meet the benchmarks unless they retake their MCAT, but it is highly recommended to get that taken care of prior (496 minimum), so that you can solely focus on your classes.

(2) Based on the website, there is a MABS to DO interview committee. Upon completion of the benchmark, there'll be a short interview with the committee to evaluate a student's professionalism/fitness for VCOM. Faculty input will also be utilized. So in a sense, it's still "guaranteed acceptance" as long as you meet all these requirements: GPA, MCAT, and positive interview committee evaluation. I'm not sure if this was already the case from previous students in the program though, or is it just worded differently? I have sent emails to some faculty from today's zoom info session to confirm, so I will be sure to update you all on this matter.

Thank you and good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! I attended today's VCOM MABS Program zoom event and it was really useful in answering some of our questions in this thread! Here were some things I learned, which are also updated on the website: MABS Benchmarks | Biomedical Sciences | Bluefield College

(1) The benchmark requirements have upgraded and increased. Meaning MCAT scores of 496-497 have to obtain a 3.75-4.0 GPA with a positive evaluation in order to meet the benchmark. This was different from the past, where it was a 3.6 GPA with that score at the time! Scores of 498+ can obtain a 3.6-3.74 GPA though. And now, those with a 494 or lower cannot meet the benchmarks unless they retake their MCAT, but it is highly recommended to get that taken care of prior (496 minimum), so that you can solely focus on your classes.

(2) Based on the website, there is a MABS to DO interview committee. Upon completion of the benchmark, there'll be a short interview with the committee to evaluate a student's professionalism/fitness for VCOM. Faculty input will also be utilized. So in a sense, it's still "guaranteed acceptance" as long as you meet all these requirements: GPA, MCAT, and positive interview committee evaluation. I'm not sure if this was already the case from previous students in the program though, or is it just worded differently? I have sent emails to some faculty from today's zoom info session to confirm, so I will be sure to update you all on this matter.

Is there any way to rewatch the zoom meeting?? I had no idea about it

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything back yet? My application was verified on 11/06/2020 and I spoke with the committee on 01/03/2021 saying my application was in final review. I guess I’m going a little stir crazy. 😅

Is there any way to rewatch the zoom meeting?? I had no idea about it
Sorry, I wish there was! During the zoom, they said they were only recording it for internal purposes, not for us to rewatch, unfortunately. But I am sure there will be more in the future as they've said. Follow their MABS and/or VCOM facebook page and keep a look out for them. Good luck!

UPDATE: I just received two emails from Alisa Hewitt (MABS representative) and Sheila Ballard (MABS admissions coordinator). Here are their responses, respectively:

"Yes, there has been a change to the guarantee pipeline and the program website was just updated this week with the new information. There is a brief interview required as part of the guarantee metrics, however, this is not a traditional “interview day” like you’d expect with an application directly to a medical school. Instead, this will be a brief meeting with the “MABS to DO” interview committee comprised of both MABS Faculty and members of the VCOM DO campuses."

"The benchmarks have changed to a formal interview instead of a guaranteed admission. It is part of the positive faculty evaluation. I provide a seminar on interviewing skills for students who would like to work with me to prepare for an interview while in the program. You are also correct about the higher benchmarks. The Dean and DO Committee have established the higher benchmarks in order to ensure that students in the MABS program are able to better meet the demands of medical school."

Overall, don't let these changes affect you. No matter what, once we're accepted into this program, we will work as hard as we can to accomplish these benchmarks and soon start our medical journey together. I look forward to meeting and studying with many of you in the near future. All the best!

My application was verified 11/02 and still nothing back yet. Hopefully this week!

Mine was completed way back 9/21 still haven't heard back but I don't think it should be too long now!

I heard the other day that if we applied through AACOMAS to VCOM we can use that same application for the MABS program. Does anyone know how to do that? I tried emailing but the people have been unresponsive so far. Also would you guys think that writing a separate application instead of reusing our AACOMAS app would be better?

I heard the other day that if we applied through AACOMAS to VCOM we can use that same application for the MABS program. Does anyone know how to do that? I tried emailing but the people have been unresponsive so far. Also would you guys think that writing a separate application instead of reusing our AACOMAS app would be better?
Did you email Sheila Ballard? In the zoom meeting she said to email her!