VCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope that you haven't actually received any pressure from the Dean to retract any of your comments. If so, that is pretty scary stuff. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the whole point of SDN is to have a place where those pursuing a medical education can speak freely (positively or negatively) about any issue.

I don't think SDN has received any pressure, but the Dean called me out yesterday in between classes and berated me (publicly, w/ students watching) for my original post on my situation. I feel if she had an issue, it could've been handled with a private meeting or e-mail. I removed my original post as to not cause my situation to worsen.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that you haven't actually received any pressure from the Dean to retract any of your comments. If so, that is pretty scary stuff. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the whole point of SDN is to have a place where those pursuing a medical education can speak freely (positively or negatively) about any issue.

I agree that is pretty scary. VCOM just seems worse off now with a dictator controlling what students can and can't say about the school. I wonder if the dean made a sn pretending to be a happy student or paid someone to say good things. Very WEIRD at VCOM.

I agree that is pretty scary. VCOM just seems worse off now with a dictator controlling what students can and can't say about the school. I wonder if the dean made a sn pretending to be a happy student or paid someone to say good things. Very WEIRD at VCOM.

Seriously? :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, really? Your first logical conclusion is that the Dean is paying us to act happy?

It is unprofessional to come on a public forum and defame an individual. It is also illegal. The dean could easily have many people on these forums charged with defamation of character. The fact that she calls someone out and tells them to take down a post is not scary; the easier way to deal with it would have been to dismiss the student and sue them for libel.

This is a public forum that anyone can read. If you post something that reflects an individual in a poor and inaccurate light, be prepared for that person to find out about it. If your classmate posted their facebook status about what a corrupt and terrible individual you were, an opinion that was clearly skewed by their personal beliefs, would you not talk to them about taking it down? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when your opinion is completely clouded by personal things going on in your life (ie: Rolltide's family situation), it is most certainly not appropriate to attribute your difficulties to an individual or even the entire school.

Like it or not, when we are doctors we will be expected to act in a professional manner. This means not pointing people out individually OR being prepared to deal with the consequences when you do. Free speech is one thing, but defaming a person (or an entire organization, business, etc) is completely different and people who act in this way will likely pay for it eventually both professionally and legally.

So, in short, the dean has never offered to pay me, given me a grade boost for posting my love of vcom on here, or given me any other sort of incentive to come on a public forum and give a second side to a story. I did it because I truly love vcom, and I know that I am getting an education beyond what I could have imagined. As a first year medical student, I never thought that I would be able to keep up with fourth years from other schools, yet here I am.

Just to give you all some light into the mindset of some of the second years here: recently a second year told a friend of mine that VCOM was listed as one of Forbe's worst companies to work for/ least financially stable companies in America. VCOM is a computer software company: http://www.avanquest.com/USA/vcom/

Twisting words and situations to make your point fit is easy. I have no doubt that there are a few people who are very unhappy at this school, but think of the much larger group who are incredibly happy with their education. The fact that anyone is offered a second chance to begin with is something that other schools would never consider (seriously, look at the thread titled "facing dismissal," where repeating a year is simply against school policy, or look at past med students' situations where failing one class automatically got them dismissed from school). VCOM takes care of their own.

Regardless of how much anyone complains on these forums, the seats will fill, VCOM will continue to attract applicants from all over and with all sorts of strengths and weaknesses, and the profession will go on. I'm only concerned with knowing from where these negative and unprofessional comments come so that I may avoid working with the individuals in the future.

Last edited:
Regardless of how much anyone complains on these forums, the seats will fill, VCOM will continue to attract applicants from all over and with all sorts of strengths and weaknesses, and the profession will go on.

Why waste your time addressing these people. If you just said nothing and these people didn't get a rise out of you others would just think the negative posters are trolls. Because you spend so much effort dissecting their arguments and defending VCOM it seems to legitimize their complaints. I'd just let them rant away.

So first off, the Dean being a dictator or paying people to talk good about VCOM seems a little over the top. Despite my opinions, I don't think they would go to such lengths, and if they did, it would be because the school really does have a horribly negative reputation. I do believe there are a lot of positive things for future classes (2013-on), because I think VCOM is finally setting a more solid schedule/curriculum. And yes, maybe my opinions are a bit clouded by my family situation, but I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my family's support so I feel I owe it to them to be there for them. Now that everything in that department is straight, I owe it to myself to make up for this past year. I do believe that the c/o 2012 was screwed as far as getting a consistent education, but they did get an education. I guess we'll see next year whether or not that translate to good board scores or not. I guess the thing I am upset about is I didn't get what I was told I would get coming in. I was told the same thing as one of the posters above, about the curriculum being 1st year normal, 2nd year path.....which mad sense, but then it was changed, and I did ok with that. But then they decided to change the curriculum/testing style for us at the beginning of 2nd year, without consulting the students, and even being dishonest about how the testing would go (we knew every 2 weeks, but we were told it would be "board style", instead it looked like they took questions professors submitted and mixed them all up, basically a jumble of different subjects without cases or anything to tie them together). I'm still confused about the curriculum change. At other schools I've been at, if the school decides to change the curriculum, then the students currently attending are "grandfathered in" to the original curriculum, so there is no drastic change to their education (and I'm pretty sure, though not positive, that c/o 2011 still had their original curriculum after they changed it for us, with a few additional classes but no sweeping changes; not 100% on that, maybe someone who knows a little more could comment?) It just seemed odd how they treated the change. Anyway, that's my two cents (for the 2nd time)

Why waste your time addressing these people. If you just said nothing and these people didn't get a rise out of you others would just think the negative posters are trolls. Because you spend so much effort dissecting their arguments and defending VCOM it seems to legitimize their complaints. I'd just let them rant away.

I waste my time because several potential students commented about being concerned with all the negative comments. I know that VCOM will always fill their seats and have an incredibly long waitlist - it isn't VCOM that will be damaged by these people. Those students who read such negative comments and then decide to not attend a school based on what they read are getting an unfair and skewed view, and thus getting cheated out of what may have been a really great school for them.

Dude...seriously, take your sour grapes somewhere else. We are all sorry that you didn't get into VCOM. Stop taking secondhand info from bitter students and passing it off as your own. You are a pre-med who has never matriculated at VCOM and thus has no clue what is going on here. I'm glad you are not attending here, because your unprofessionalism is peerless on this thread. Stop misleading others because you had a bad experience with the admissions department. No one cares.

Ummm I will get accepted to VCOM (top of waitlist) but will be DECLINING. Get your stuff straight.

ALSO just because I WONDER about things at VCOM and publicly state so does not constitute defamation.

Ummm I will get accepted to VCOM (top of waitlist) but will be DECLINING. Get your stuff straight.

ALSO just because I WONDER about things at VCOM and publicly state so does not constitute defamation.

then why don't you go ahead and write a letter to admissions that you want to be removed from the waitlist position if you hate VCOM so much. there are many other students that love VCOM and would love the opportunity to go here!

Last edited:
Hey I know some of you guys are upset about some of the comments made towards VCOM, but lashing out at those individuals makes you - yourselves - look unprofessional....

If you want to defend the school and talk about the positive things that is fine. But to call out a fellow classmate and publicly humiliate him to make your point is pretty ridiculous and uncalled for. Either way.... rotations will start and you guys will all be off on your own and not bundled up in a little building where everyone starts to get on each other's nerves.

This thread has gotten a little nasty! Hooray for summer!

I just talked with admissions, and this is what I found out, let me know if anyone knows any different. I was notified that I was in the top tier of the wailist but out of the top 10, with a gaurantee of admission for the class of 2015. I was told that as of now, there has not been enough movement in the waitlist to grant a change in my status on the waitlist. So it doesnt sound like much has changed. I also found out that acceptances for 2015 will be sent out mid-august and no additional forms are needed from us right now expect for final transcripts if you have them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mean to help pour gasoline over the situation, we have had our share of good days and bad days and I've highlighted the bad. There were a series of events in the second year that made me unhappy with how things were going, it doesn't mean my education sucked.

In fact, in board studying I'm surprised at how much information I have retained and how well I am doing on practice sections with many weeks to go before my exam date.

However, there are also some things that should never happen at any institution, and they happen a lot here. Whistle blowing does hurt the PR, but it's unfair to play us off as vocal, disgruntled students. I admit, it's unwise of me to tarnish the image of a school that I will be representing as much as it represents me in the real world. That's just the thing, everything here is done for image even when it is fake.

Does that make VCOM different from any other institution I have been to? No, but I kind of wish they were.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying to VCOM next cycle but am curious as to who they send secondaries and interview invitations out to? Can someone please tell me what seems to be the "norm" MCAT and GPA for secondary and interview? Thanks.

wow.. I just read through the past few pages in this thread. This place sounds like fun. The fact that you are all arguing like this is actually a good thing, believe it or not.

The loud, obnoxious and always bickering Irish family I grew up in is much better than the quiet, bitter, and resentful ones I see with some of my friends.

I just talked with admissions, and this is what I found out, let me know if anyone knows any different. I was notified that I was in the top tier of the wailist but out of the top 10, with a gaurantee of admission for the class of 2015. I was told that as of now, there has not been enough movement in the waitlist to grant a change in my status on the waitlist. So it doesnt sound like much has changed. I also found out that acceptances for 2015 will be sent out mid-august and no additional forms are needed from us right now expect for final transcripts if you have them.

thanks for the info! i wonder why there hasn't been much change? dont you guys think that the deadline for dues for those accepted had passed? it's getting very close to the class starting date!

wow, i was actually contemplating if i should bother filling out the secondary for VCOM and now im thinking i mite not after all this negativity.

wow, i was actually contemplating if i should bother filling out the secondary for VCOM and now im thinking i mite not after all this negativity.

It's not that bad... the 2012er's just had some bumps. I have had a good time.

wow.. I just read through the past few pages in this thread. This place sounds like fun. The fact that you are all arguing like this is actually a good thing, believe it or not.

The loud, obnoxious and always bickering Irish family I grew up in is much better than the quiet, bitter, and resentful ones I see with some of my friends.

:thumbup:

for all the current students, which books do you actually need to buy first year? i heard a lot of the books aren't actually used... thanks!

Depends on your learning style! I ended up using quite a few of the ones people said that you wouldn't need because I learn better by reading. They have all of the textbooks in the library so you can try them out before deciding to buy or not. Most people do not use them, so its rare that one is not available.

Generally it seems like the consensus last year was to definitely get all of the anatomy books as well as the pathology books (with the exception of Robbins since it is available online and is a massive and expensive textbook anyways). I personally loved the Biochem book and thought it answered a lot of the questions that others were confused about...but again thats just me! Best recommendation is to test them out in the library before spending hundreds of dollars on books you might not use!

for all the current students, which books do you actually need to buy first year? i heard a lot of the books aren't actually used... thanks!

Just checking to see if anyone had heard any rumblings or anything about the waitlist?

I read all 12 pages ( 2 hours). There is a lot of -ve arguments in so many pages I wanted to learn more about the interview experiences. Only 2 post have this discussion. It can be more useful thred if people share there interview experiene.

thanks

I read all 12 pages ( 2 hours). There is a lot of -ve arguments in so many pages I wanted to learn more about the interview experiences. Only 2 post have this discussion. It can be more useful thred if people share there interview experiene.

thanks

Emno I read the discussion pages before I went and interviewed at VCOM. I didn't let it sway my decision and at all. I made up my own mind about VCOM, and like in undergrad, college is all about what you make of it. Interview day at VCOM was great. I didn't have a problem finding a hotel room, and the school was close to where I stayed. The admissions people are so very kind. I was very nervous when I interviewed and they just had a great way of calming all of our nerves. They sat us in a conference room right in admissions. Everyone that I interviewed with was kind as well. We are all started talking and i'm sure our laughs could have been heard down the hallway! We met with a couple of people including the director of admission and financial aid. The interviews themselves were not bad at all. It was three 30 minute interviews with faculty and staff. The first interviewer I had asked me some tough questions (PM me if you want to know exactly what they asked me). My other two interviews were just conversations. I really enjoyed myself. They had 2 VCOM students come and eat lunch with us and answer any questions we had. They gave us a tour of the building as well as surrounding town. It was an overall relaxed day. I was accepted into multiple schools and have no regrets choosing VCOM.

*as a disclaimer you'll have to forgive the spelling and grammar errors in this. I've been shadowing in the ER all night and i'm about out of it!!!!!!

If you are one to complain about everything that life throws at you, then I am sorry. The whole hating on VCOM thing stems from a larger issue. Life is short, focus on what you will. If you are always looking at the problems, when will you have time to look at the great things? Especially when you get out of med school, medicine is not a perfect practice. If you have ideas of how things can be changed for the better, use the proper channels, otherwise, it's just complaining. I know I am a non trad applying to VCOM this year and all the negativity that has come out in this thread has in no way deterred me from applying. Complaining about things like that in medical school is like complaining what kind of toilet paper is in the cabin while you are on your dream vacation. You guys are in medical school, in a few short years, you will be doctors and be living your childhood dreams, teenage aspirations, whatever. So focus on your education, focus on your goals, hell, focus on that first breath you take when you wake up and just be happy to be alive doing what you are doing. You have picked a difficult field, and have been accepted because the admissions staff thought you could best achieve in this difficult field. Practice that flexibility, graduate, and take the medical field by storm. I wish the best to all of you, haters and lovers of VCOM.

TLDR: Life is short, live it well.

Edit: This post is for all the apps, like me, that had to read through the arguing.

Emno I read the discussion pages before I went and interviewed at VCOM. I didn't let it sway my decision and at all. I made up my own mind about VCOM, and like in undergrad, college is all about what you make of it. Interview day at VCOM was great. I didn't have a problem finding a hotel room, and the school was close to where I stayed. The admissions people are so very kind. I was very nervous when I interviewed and they just had a great way of calming all of our nerves. They sat us in a conference room right in admissions. Everyone that I interviewed with was kind as well. We are all started talking and i'm sure our laughs could have been heard down the hallway! We met with a couple of people including the director of admission and financial aid. The interviews themselves were not bad at all. It was three 30 minute interviews with faculty and staff. The first interviewer I had asked me some tough questions (PM me if you want to know exactly what they asked me). My other two interviews were just conversations. I really enjoyed myself. They had 2 VCOM students come and eat lunch with us and answer any questions we had. They gave us a tour of the building as well as surrounding town. It was an overall relaxed day. I was accepted into multiple schools and have no regrets choosing VCOM.

*as a disclaimer you'll have to forgive the spelling and grammar errors in this. I've been shadowing in the ER all night and i'm about out of it!!!!!!
thanks katiedo.
I did not have my interview from VCOM yet. I will sure ask your help if I get the interview from them.
I hope you got the admission offer from them.

thanks again

Emno, have you checked out the interview feedback for VCOM? Its a good place to look how the interview goes. Altogether though, it was laid back and conversational. The school is very friendly and they make it seem like they want you there. Thats the reason I chose it.

Good luck!

Emno, have you checked out the interview feedback for VCOM? Its a good place to look how the interview goes. Altogether though, it was laid back and conversational. The school is very friendly and they make it seem like they want you there. Thats the reason I chose it.

Good luck!

Thanks Poliphilo. Where to find this feedback? is it on their website or in one of the threads here?

It's on SDN website, look at the top of the page, on the page you are on now and you will see interview feedback. Click it, select all schools, osteopathic schools, then Edward Via. Look on the right under interview feedback, click view survey results. It is comments from applicants who have interviewed. Click them to read. Hope it helps!

It's on SDN website, look at the top of the page, on the page you are on now and you will see interview feedback. Click it, select all schools, osteopathic schools, then Edward Via. Look on the right under interview feedback, click view survey results. It is comments from applicants who have interviewed. Click them to read. Hope it helps!
Thanks Poliphilo. I found it.

Just wanted to post a quick update about the waitlist..I received an email this afternoon notifying me of my specific ranking in the top ten (I wasn't top ten in the original update I was sent last month) and I was advised to start making preparations for matriculation. I'll be attending NSU-COM, so I wanted to wish you guys the best of luck..there's still hope!

class starts august 9th. starting to think i'm going to be a c/o 2015 instead of 2014....

Just wondering if anyone knew when the last day it would be to come off the waitlist, is it the first day of classes or the add/drop day, so Aug 9th or Aug 13th. Also, I thought I had read that if you were told you got in for this year(class 2014) that you couldn't delay it for next year(2015). It just seems like it would be difficult to move Blacksburg with such short notice, we at least for me.

Does anyone know when we can expect to receive a letter of acceptance to the class of 2015?

How's is the diversity of VCOM and integration with Vtech?

Just wondering if anyone knew when the last day it would be to come off the waitlist, is it the first day of classes or the add/drop day, so Aug 9th or Aug 13th. Also, I thought I had read that if you were told you got in for this year(class 2014) that you couldn't delay it for next year(2015). It just seems like it would be difficult to move Blacksburg with such short notice, we at least for me.

where did you read that? and yes, it would be very difficult for me as well to move within a week! i always thought it was possible to deferr.

also i read in this blog somewhere it said that we should be getting acceptance letters and more info in the middle of august if we have automatic acceptance to c/o 2015

From last year's messages
(...no paperwork needed....i actually would prefer next years class...of course we would have to say "yes" to a spot for 2013 or lose our place....(we cannot defer a year)
looks like we'll all be classmates!!!
i have already started to look for housing...)
I am not sure if this is still valid for this year, I just remembered reading this from an older post. I think it would be difficult, but a choice I would make. I just signed a teaching contract, and I would feel bad backing out of two weeks before classes started, but I did inform the Dean that I was on a waitlist for medical school.

Well only the weekend to go on the waitlist (I think), looks like I will be heading to Blacksburg next year unless a miracle happens.

Well only the weekend to go on the waitlist (I think), looks like I will be heading to Blacksburg next year unless a miracle happens.

same here! i went up to VT yesterday just to look around more of the area to help me choose between VA or the SC campus. I will definitely be attending the VA campus. I am already excited! At least on the brightside we will have a lot longer to find places to stay for next year

Diversity? Depends on your definition. We have people from all sorts of backgrounds.

VT affiliation: Students get grad student privileges, so that means football/basketball season tickets, access to the gyms and dining halls, libraries, study rooms on campus, intramural sports, student discounts at places around town, etc. VCOM also does plenty of research with VT and has some VT professors teach a few classes here, so the integration works well for the medical school.

:thumbup: Seconded. VT + VCOM = :love:

Anybody hear anything today, I wonder if they use email or actual mail to notify people on the waitlist.

Can't wait to get my acceptance letter for class of 2015 in just a week or two!!! :-D

Can't wait to get my acceptance letter for class of 2015 in just a week or two!!! :-D

agreed! It will be nice to finally have a deposit down and my spot secure without having to go through the application process again.

Holla at ya boy if you got that email about next year. Acceptance letters in September! Cant wait!

Holla at ya boy if you got that email about next year. Acceptance letters in September! Cant wait!

got my mail too! :) can't wait to get the official letter in sept with more information! i have no idea about how to get loans for living expenses, etc.

I started a new thread for the VCOM VA campus class of 2015!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10056943#post10056943

I think you may be a little late on this one since there is already a thread on the school specific forums for blacksburg 2010-2011, but oh well (the more the merrier right). Anyway, I read it and saw you were attending the Blacksburg campus. Thats great. I am too!! Have you started looking at housing or thinking about where you'll live next year?

I think you may be a little late on this one since there is already a thread on the school specific forums for blacksburg 2010-2011, but oh well (the more the merrier right). Anyway, I read it and saw you were attending the Blacksburg campus. Thats great. I am too!! Have you started looking at housing or thinking about where you'll live next year?

Ohh, whoops. Didn't see that thread!

I haven't started looking at housing yet. Currently I am contracted to my job until May so it will be after this that I will start looking. Right now, my fiance is moving with me so we will hopefully be looking for a house to rent that allows pets. Can't wait to start looking, the area is beautiful! How about you? Have you started looking?