VCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ohh, whoops. Didn't see that thread!

I haven't started looking at housing yet. Currently I am contracted to my job until May so it will be after this that I will start looking. Right now, my fiance is moving with me so we will hopefully be looking for a house to rent that allows pets. Can't wait to start looking, the area is beautiful! How about you? Have you started looking?

I am a current first year, just wanted to say start looking EARLY if you have pets!!!! I found the house my hubby & I rent in February via a craigslist ad (didn't move until May). We have 3 small dogs and had a hard time finding something. The housing that allows pets is far and few. Unless you go to a place that has insane restrictions or extra fees. SO start looking early and utilize craigslist. :)

Okay back to classes now... :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have looked at a couple of places, and they all seem really nice but more on the expensive side. Im working in Raleigh right now but i plan on going up there to look around in a few months and get better idea of where i want to live. Hopefully once the facebook page and everything comes up there will be people wanting to room together since that would save a lot of money ya know. gotta start thinkin like a student again ha

I have looked at a couple of places, and they all seem really nice but more on the expensive side. Im working in Raleigh right now but i plan on going up there to look around in a few months and get better idea of where i want to live. Hopefully once the facebook page and everything comes up there will be people wanting to room together since that would save a lot of money ya know. gotta start thinkin like a student again ha

I have no idea when I will be able to start looking for places. Unfortunately I dont think it will be until at least May. Hopefully there will still be some good places! My fiance is thinking about possibly buying a home and then renting it out to med students after I am finished with school. But we're still not sure what we're going to do yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea when I will be able to start looking for places. Unfortunately I dont think it will be until at least May. Hopefully there will still be some good places! My fiance is thinking about possibly buying a home and then renting it out to med students after I am finished with school. But we're still not sure what we're going to do yet.

If you are looking for a nice place that allows pets my roommate and I live in a place called OakTree Townhomes through Showcase Home Builders. You can buy or rent for them. Most of them have been built in the past 2-3 years and they allow pets without having to pay a security deposit (or least I didn't have to). I have two dogs and several of my neighbors have pets as well. There are quite a few VCOM students who live in them, and its about a 5-10 minute drive to school (depends if get stuck at a light or not). But as another 1st year said I highly recommend looking early. My roommate and I both had early acceptances since we didn't get in to the class of 2013, and we came looking in January. At Accepted Students Day in March there were only like two places left in OakTree. Other places to consider are Knollwood, which is across from VCOM or if you are lucky you can probably a nice house pretty affordable around here. Good luck with everything! If you have any questions or anything please don't hesitate to PM me, and congrats on VCOM!

If you are looking for a nice place that allows pets my roommate and I live in a place called OakTree Townhomes through Showcase Home Builders. You can buy or rent for them. Most of them have been built in the past 2-3 years and they allow pets without having to pay a security deposit (or least I didn't have to). I have two dogs and several of my neighbors have pets as well. There are quite a few VCOM students who live in them, and its about a 5-10 minute drive to school (depends if get stuck at a light or not). But as another 1st year said I highly recommend looking early. My roommate and I both had early acceptances since we didn't get in to the class of 2013, and we came looking in January. At Accepted Students Day in March there were only like two places left in OakTree. Other places to consider are Knollwood, which is across from VCOM or if you are lucky you can probably a nice house pretty affordable around here. Good luck with everything! If you have any questions or anything please don't hesitate to PM me, and congrats on VCOM!

thanks for the info! can't wait to be up there this year!! how is your first year going? is it as crazy as everyone says!?

can't wait till there's a facebook group for co 2015! someone please post link if you see it sometime!

got my official letter today in the mail!! :-D

now to get that $1500 by oct 29, lol

I don't think SDN has received any pressure, but the Dean called me out yesterday in between classes and berated me (publicly, w/ students watching) for my original post on my situation. I feel if she had an issue, it could've been handled with a private meeting or e-mail. I removed my original post as to not cause my situation to worsen.

I didn't see it personally, but I do know several students who saw this in the hallway; it is true.

As a current second year I can vouch that there is marked dissent within our 2013 class in regards to our administration. You typically won't see those kinds of comments on this forum, as it is very much known that there are class cheerleaders/spies/admins watching. I know it sounds paranoid, but it is true.

I won't bring up particulars here, because I am a bit anxious about being called out like rolltide85, but I'm sure you can find lots of info on the many sdn forums. Many of the class cheerleaders will vehemently deny such claims (and follow to ridicule those who make them), but there are very simple ways to look up the facts (and I do suggest you do). For the ones that aren't so easy to look up, I'm sure me telling you whether or not they are true will only bring on charged comments from both sides. But I will say that, in general, I agree with many of the general kinds of critical comments I've seen about VCOM.

And before I get a ton of comments like "i bet you are just mad and suck at life, etc."... I want to clear up that I haven't had any problems with academics or student relationships, which honestly is a testament to the general good-naturedness of most of the students, but seeing unjust things happen to classmates and the general way we are treated has been enough to make me question whether or not it was a good decision to come here.

I'm sure others have had very differing experiences. I just want to point out that myself, and many others that I know of, have more critical opinions. This one opinion should not preclude you from coming to VCOM, this is just a warning. Private schools do not play by the same rules as public ones. Know what you're getting into, and be smart enough to play by their unpublished rulebook.