VCOM MABS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe because I’m out of state but mine says the Louisiana campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh interesting. That must be something new this year. Because for us, when we do the official VCOM app which they needed, we ranked our choices and then they placed us based on our personal preferences and we could petition for the Blacksburg campus if we were not from the area but its slim chances you'll get approved.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to get accepted end of this month, is it late to get good apartment near school?

Hey everyone! I just got into the program on Tuesday and was wondering if any girl is still looking for an apartment/or a roommate? I'm from northern Virginia and graduating from UVA in a week (BA in Biology). I'm super excited to join this program :) Please let me know if you're interested!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I just got into the program on Tuesday and was wondering if any girl is still looking for an apartment/or a roommate? I'm from northern Virginia and graduating from UVA in a week (BA in Biology). I'm super excited to join this program :) Please let me know if you're interested!
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats and how long it took after your app was in final review to hear back?

If I were to get accepted end of this month, is it late to get good apartment near school?
I would go ahead and start applying to get on the waitlist for quite a few in Blacksburg and Christiansburg. I got accepted recently and it took me nearly 2-3 weeks of consisting calling, searching on apartment sites/FB groups, etc. to get an apartment with good reviews, especially since many are only allowing virtual tours so wanted to get one that I can trust.

I would go ahead and start applying to get on the waitlist for quite a few in Blacksburg and Christiansburg. I got accepted recently and it took me nearly 2-3 weeks of consisting calling, searching on apartment sites/FB groups, etc. to get an apartment with good reviews, especially since many are only allowing virtual tours so wanted to get one that I can trust.
Okay awesome. I wouldn't mind sharing with any guy on this thread if I were to be accepted. I'll start looking. Thank you!

Okay awesome. I wouldn't mind sharing with any guy on this thread if I were to be accepted. I'll start looking. Thank you!
I could very well be going to this school of accepted. I don’t know anything about the area or school because I live in NJ.

I could very well be going to this school of accepted. I don’t know anything about the area or school because I live in NJ.
Niceee. I'm from PA and will end up going if accepted as well

Hello! I was wondering if any former MABS students could tell me more about how rigorous/ difficult the program is?

Just got my acceptance today! I’m looking for female roommates if anyone needs one!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome turn around. Congrats. Mind sharing your stats?
3.4 sGPA and cGPA with an upward trend. I haven’t taken the mcat yet. I have 2 years of hospital volunteering, a year of research with a publication, and I’m working in the medical field right now as a mental health mentor.

3.4 sGPA and cGPA with an upward trend. I haven’t taken the mcat yet. I have 2 years of hospital volunteering, a year of research with a publication, and I’m working in the medical field right now as a mental health mentor.
That's great stuff! Those are awesome things you are doing. Thnx

Hey, guys!! Got accepted last night!! Any females looking for roommates?

Also, is there an accepted students Facebook group? If not, I'd be happy to start one so we can all start putting names to faces and all that :)

Hey, guys!! Got accepted last night!! Any females looking for roommates?

Also, is there an accepted students Facebook group? If not, I'd be happy to start one so we can all start putting names to faces and all that :)
Hey, when did you submit your app and when did it go into final review?

Hi Everyone-

I got into the MABS/VCOM program last week, and have secured an apartment at Knollwood Crossings (2 bedroom/2bathroom) which is about a 4 minute commute by car to the MABS building or about a 1.4 mi walk away. I plan to make the apartment a relatively quiet/study space since the program is pretty rigorous and I want to do well, so I am looking for someone that's into that as well. Additionally, I am looking for a female roommate! If any of you guys are interested on here, message me, and we can talk more in detail about it through facebook :) I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats and how long it took after your app was in final review to hear back?

Not at all!

My science GPA was around 3.6
cumulative GPA is a 3.5
MCAT: 502

My app was in final review around april 15th and I heard back on May 5th

What were your stats? My friend applied before you and still haven't heard back.....

Science gpa: 3.08
Overall gpa: 3.6 (including lots of community college classes)
MCAT: None

I was nervous because of my sGPA, several C's and D's, and no MCAT.
BUT I think my LOR's/extracurriculars/essays are really what got me in relatively quickly.

Best of luck to your friend, and anyone else waiting to hear back!
I hope showing that I had a low sGPA and no MCAT can give hope to people still waiting to hear back!!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

What's the difference between first review and final review? My stats are 3.3 science, 3.57 overall, 493 mcat, lots of leadership positions, 2 research programs/presentations, countless shadowing/healthcare volunteer hours. Submitted April 14th, got an email April 20th saying that my applications as being processed, never heard anything back so I reached out to Ms. Ballard and she replied on 5/11 that I was under first review. Is there like a final review after that and then the decision? Or do they just decide after the first review?

What's the difference between first review and final review? My stats are 3.3 science, 3.57 overall, 493 mcat, lots of leadership positions, 2 research programs/presentations, countless shadowing/healthcare volunteer hours. Submitted April 14th, got an email April 20th saying that my applications as being processed, never heard anything back so I reached out to Ms. Ballard and she replied on 5/11 that I was under first review. Is there like a final review after that and then the decision? Or do they just decide after the first review?
Hi lbri_8991! I'm not entirely certain as I'm still waiting to hear back myself and I do not know anyone in the admissions office personally, but my interpretation of the 1st email that gets sent notifying us that they have received our application is the first of 3 emails. I received a second email on 5/4 stating that I was then placed under "final review." I believe the first round is a bunch of people just making sure your app fits their basic requirements, and then the final review is when they have faculty members and more people collaborate on your app together and they all discuss it together.

After that, they'll send the third and final email whether you're accepted or rejected.

I hope this helps!

Hi! I applied back in November, and was placed on the waitlist this January. Anyone else on the waitlist and hear back yet? I emailed Ms. Ballard and she said that final decisions will be coming out this month or next month, but that things are much slower now because of COVID-19. I'm just getting a little anxious that I may be rejected.

You heard back about your final decision yet ?

Hi lbri_8991! I'm not entirely certain as I'm still waiting to hear back myself and I do not know anyone in the admissions office personally, but my interpretation of the 1st email that gets sent notifying us that they have received our application is the first of 3 emails. I received a second email on 5/4 stating that I was then placed under "final review." I believe the first round is a bunch of people just making sure your app fits their basic requirements, and then the final review is when they have faculty members and more people collaborate on your app together and they all discuss it together.

After that, they'll send the third and final email whether you're accepted or rejected.

I hope this helps!

You heard back about your final decision yet ?
I have not yet Jazz1997. I saw someone earlier in the thread received final review status on 4/29 and another on 5/1 and then were accepted yesterday (5/11). Given my final review was granted on 5/4, I am hoping to hear back by the end of this week

Hey guys!
I'm looking for a female roommate. I'm really quiet and I enjoy watching TV and cooking. Also, I don't really drink. Please let me know if you are interested.

I hope this helps!
Thank you!

What is the start date for classes?
Oh interesting. That must be something new this year. Because for us, when we do the official VCOM app which they needed, we ranked our choices and then they placed us based on our personal preferences and we could petition for the Blacksburg campus if we were not from the area but its slim chances you'll get approved.

I spoke with someone from the school yesterday and it was confirmed for July 27 for the 2020-2021 MABS Academic Calendar. They should be updating their accepted students webpage by the end of this week/early next week for everything.

Hey-

I'm starting the VCOM/MABS program in July for the 2020-2021 year and was wondering if anyone has textbooks from the curriculum that they want to sell (to me?).. I was looking at the textbook list and prices look hella expensive LOL , so if you don't need your textbooks anymore pls help a girl out!!

did you just fine out today? Do you mind sharing when you completed the app and your stats?
I found out 04/21. I completed the app on 03/05. Stats: 3.8 overall GPA. Bio major GPA: 3.7. Chem minor GPA: 3.94. I sucked the MCAT up and got a 494.

For those who are currently in the program, I have a MacBook from 2015 will that be sufficient? On their accepted students page they require a laptop not older than 3 years.
Thanks!

For those who are currently in the program, I have a MacBook from 2015 will that be sufficient? On their accepted students page they require a laptop not older than 3 years.
Thanks!
I have a 2015 model and it works fine. Make sure you have OS Catalina as the software for exams has been updated to work for that.

Also be aware that Apple just added the 2014 models to their list of obsolete and will not be doing updates for them any more, so it's only a matter of time before they add the 2015 models to that list.

Hi all! I just wanted to keep up with everyone else in sharing my information since others have been kind to do so as well. I was accepted today at 4:28pm. Below is my timeline and stats. Btw I'm from PA and did my undergrad in PA in case you're wondering about other states

App (with all components) submitted 4/15
Confirmation email received 4/20
Final Review email received 5/4
Acceptance email received 5/15

All 3 of my emails were received between 4pm-5pm. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but don't give up hope even if it's late in the day because of this!

I'm mostly traditional besides doing this program, right from HS to undergrad at Duquesne. cGPA of 3.67 and sGPA of 3.44 (not considering my last 3 credits this semester that I did obtain an A for)

I also sent an email this past Monday (5/11) updating them with my final grades for the semester (with an unofficial transcript) and showing I graduated. I never got a reply to that email though.

In my shorter essay I emphasized my interest in rural medicine.

I had 4 LoRs. 1 DO, 1 Pre-Med advisor, 1 from the director of my honors college (who also teaches and had me), and 1 from an Assistant Resident Director since I was an RA for 3 years.

I think that's all the info people usually ask for, but feel free to reach out to me personally if you have other questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I just wanted to keep up with everyone else in sharing my information since others have been kind to do so as well. I was accepted today at 4:28pm. Below is my timeline and stats. Btw I'm from PA and did my undergrad in PA in case you're wondering about other states

App (with all components) submitted 4/15
Confirmation email received 4/20
Final Review email received 5/4
Acceptance email received 5/15

All 3 of my emails were received between 4pm-5pm. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but don't give up hope even if it's late in the day because of this!

I'm mostly traditional besides doing this program, right from HS to undergrad at Duquesne. cGPA of 3.67 and sGPA of 3.44 (not considering my last 3 credits this semester that I did obtain an A for)

I also sent an email this past Monday (5/11) updating them with my final grades for the semester (with an unofficial transcript) and showing I graduated. I never got a reply to that email though.

In my shorter essay I emphasized my interest in rural medicine.

I had 4 LoRs. 1 DO, 1 Pre-Med advisor, 1 from the director of my honors college (who also teaches and had me), and 1 from an Assistant Resident Director since I was an RA for 3 years.

I think that's all the info people usually ask for, but feel free to reach out to me personally if you have other questions!
Congratulations!

I applied back in March, and got an email saying my app was complete 03/02. Then an email saying it went into final review 04/20. However I haven’t heard anything after that. It’s making me a little nervous reading about people who got in shortly after applying. I was just wondering if there’s anyone else in the same boat as me. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I applied back in March, and got an email saying my app was complete 03/02. Then an email saying it went into final review 04/20. However I haven’t heard anything after that. It’s making me a little nervous reading about people who got in shortly after applying. I was just wondering if there’s anyone else in the same boat as me. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Hey what's your stats? Sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe reach out to them and see what they have to say

3.4 cGPA/3.2sGPA/498 MCAT. A lot of medical/non medical ECs, and solid LORs. 3 years of research experience
Oh wow those are good numbers. I would definitely give them a call and see what happened.

previous MABS student here, happy to answer any questions you may have about the program.

I have a 2015 model and it works fine. Make sure you have OS Catalina as the software for exams has been updated to work for that.

Also be aware that Apple just added the 2014 models to their list of obsolete and will not be doing updates for them any more, so it's only a matter of time before they add the 2015 models to that list.
oh okay awesome! thank you so much!
I will definitely watch out for that!

I exchanged emails between one of the doctors who were on my acceptance letter and she even briefly spoke with the President of VCOM to verify an official date. They stated the first day of class would start July 27. However, these emails were exchanged 2 weeks ago. Things are constantly changing due to the pandemic, so hopefully we get a set time soon for those who need to look for housing.
On the acceptance letter I received, it states classes start July 27 !

Wait does that mean that if we have a Macbook pro from 2015 we can use it for this program?

previous MABS student here, happy to answer any questions you may have about the program.
What subject/prof did you find the most challenging each semester, and would say we should devote a little more time to than some others?

Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is for us this year 2020-2021? I was accepted but didn't get any details in that email

What subject/prof did you find the most challenging each semester, and would say we should devote a little more time to than some others?

Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is for us this year 2020-2021? I was accepted but didn't get any details in that email

You should be getting an email a few days later with the financial advisor, Amber. She helped me out a lot with getting everything settled. Mine took about a week until receiving a few emails so give it a few days.

The deposit is $500 !