I received numerous direct messages about the program. Many of these questions overlapped so I am going to do my best to answer them all here. I just completed MABS this past year.
A little about me:
- I applied very late, about 3 days before the deadline. I transferred my application from the DO program to the MABS program. I was accepted end of June/first week of July.
-came into the program with an MCAT of 496, 3.5 cumulative and 3.3 science. (get your MCAT score before the program starts I cannot stress this enough!!) Had many extracurricular activities and worked in health care for 3 years.
-made December benchmark with 3.73 GPA and was accepted to the Carolina campus
-made a 3.94 GPA in spring semester
About the program:
-I did not purchase any books during the entire program. All the information you need is in the power points. However, if you wish to have a book there are free PDF versions floating around... although I do not have a copy of them.
-Some of you asked about getting ahead and studying this summer... I do not recommend it. Enjoy your break while it lasts, there will not be many during the year.
-Are the classes hard? Yes, but in my opinion it's due to large amount of information all at once, not because the information is rocket science.
-In the fall most people struggled with Biochem. For spring semester I'm not too sure because we went online pretty early on.
-My study habits: I try to skim through the power point the night before lecture, I say try because it does not always happen but I feel that I follow the teacher better in class when I do. I got an iPad over Christmas break and I swear it cut my study time in half and I retained more information. Many other people got iPads and said it helped them also. Its great because you can label and write on your lab slides (as well as lecture ppts).
Hope that was helpful 🙂
What subject/prof did you find the most challenging each semester, and would say we should devote a little more time to than some others?
Also, does anyone know how much the deposit is for us this year 2020-2021? I was accepted but didn't get any details in that email
Another recent MABS grad - first off, congrats on getting accepted if you have already and don't lose hope if you haven't! I thought I'd throw in my two cents since there are so many of us with so many different strategies/methods that got us through the semester.
About me:
- Applied through PostBacCAS in 2018, didn't get accepted --> worked on bringing my science GPA up so I could re-apply --> applied in Feb/March and heard back by April
- Stats upon entering: 3.08 cumulative and 3.0 science; 497 MCAT
- @medstudent8778 is right about getting it done before the program - it allows you to just focus on the schoolwork. there were a number of people who took it either right after school started or soon after. i don't know any of them personally, but i think they managed. there was also a large amount of people who took it in january so they would be ready for march benchmark review.
- made December benchmarks with 3.61 and got a 3.94 in the spring --> going to Virginia
About program:
- literally everything @medstudent8778 is what I would say as well
- for the fall semester: biochem and anatomy were hard for some people; physiology is also notoriously hard but mainly because the professor talks fast. don't freak out - her reviews are very indicative of what's on the exams. for the spring semester: i think almost all the classes were difficult except for community health and maybe microbiology. but by the second semester, you've established your study habits, so i think most people tend to do better in the spring than they do in the fall.
- my study habits: front-loading --> you'll learn about it from one of the professors. for hard classes/classes i wanted to do really well in, i filled out the lecture objectives for class the night before, went to class and took notes, came back home and filled out whatever i learned from class into the lecture objectives. for some classes, i made anki, for others i didn't. for "easy" classes, i would still front-load but not to that degree - literally just spending 10-15 minutes looking at the slides for next day's class is a great advantage. going to lecture should not be first time you're seeing the information (that's something my dad taught me, as he's also a big supporter of front-loading). you have exams every monday (except for holidays that fall on mondays) and i would seriously start studying for the exams around wednesday or thursday. by sunday, i was fairly comfortable with the material and should only be reviewing a few forgotten details by monday morning.
- i would suggest getting a gym membership, making a home gym or just making sure you are active. i gained weight with this program because all you really do is get up, drive to class, go sit in a chair, come home or go to VCOM to review, sit there - basically it's a lot of sitting. so work out when you can - your body and brain will be thankful.
if you have anymore questions, just lmk!