VCOM post bacc vs. LECOM post bacc vs. RVU MSBS vs UIWSOM MSBS vs Heritage MAMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which post bacc?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdavis23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just struggling to decide which D.O. post bacc program is best. Ideally, I want to be in medical school next fall. I applied late in the cycle this year and just interviewed at UIWSOM in March and was waitlisted. Sgpa is 3.0 cgpa is 3.2 and MCAT 500. I have extensive research and volunteer and shadowing experience. I have been accepted to all the post bacs I've applied to, including uiwsom, heritage mams, rvu msbs, vcom post bacc and lecom post bacc. I am from Utah. What would you guys do? any insights or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished the LECOM post bac program feel free to message me with any questions about the program! :) I felt that it was a great program and is really in place to prepare you for medical school.

I just finished the LECOM post bac program feel free to message me with any questions about the program! :) I felt that it was a great program and is really in place to prepare you for medical school.

That's awesome. Congrats on finishing the program! How did it go? I do have quite a few questions haha. LECOM seems to be the school that accepts the most of its students to their medical school. Is that true? Did you get accepted into their school? If you don't end up going to their school, do you feel like it makes you a more attractive candidate for other programs? What was class schedule and class load like? and how was living in lake eerie?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome. Congrats on finishing the program! How did it go? I do have quite a few questions haha. LECOM seems to be the school that accepts the most of its students to their medical school. Is that true? Did you get accepted into their school? If you don't end up going to their school, do you feel like it makes you a more attractive candidate for other programs? What was class schedule and class load like? and how was living in lake eerie?

Thanks!!!
Have you considered LECOM's masters program? It's similar to the post-bacc but at their Bradenton campus

Master of Medical Science - LECOM Education System

i haven't actually. Do you know anything about it? Advantages over the eerie post bacc?
Hey, and ya! I'll be starting the program this June. Essentially it's like any other masters except that if you get a 3.0 in the program you will get an interview, and based off what the previous class said, if you get a 3.4-3.5 GPA you will get a conditional acceptance in the early spring and will then be admitted to their Bradenton campus if you successfully complete the program.

Thanks!!!

Not the same person you quoted - but I also just finished the LECOM post bac and did well, I'll be an MS1 at LECOM in July.

Do they accept the most? I have no idea. Our class did really well, but based on some statistics they showed us and what we heard about previous years it seemed like on average more than 50% of the post bac students were accepted to medical school. Our class started around 160~170 students and ended with about 135, (but not all of them made it in, some were just staying to get a certificate despite not being able to achieve a 3.0 GPA)

Does it make you a more attractive candidate for other programs? I knew a couple other people who went to LECOM for post bac and got into other schools (PCOM and MSU specifically if I remember correctly). So you can go to LECOM for post bac with the intentions of applying to other schools / programs. LECOM knows that and aren't offended by it if students choose to go to school somewhere else after post bac.

Class schedule is Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm every day. But you have to work much more than that. I personally would wake up early and do about 5-6 hours of studying before lunch to get a start on the day (usually previewing that day's lecture), then have a 3-4 hour class, and finish up with another 2 or so hours of studying at night. A "good day" for me was 10-12 hours of studying/class from 7:00am - 10:00pm with breaks. Weekends would be a similar story unless there was an exam coming up in which I would study up to 15 or 16 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. It sounds like a lot but when your future depends on it you sort of just sit down and do it.

Erie is fine, I almost never went out (see previous paragraph) but the place is nice. It rained and snowed a lot, it's pretty windy if you walk to class. There are a lot of fast food chains and some nice restaurants. Presque isle is really cool if you enjoy beaches / hiking / running. Honestly I didn't pay too much attention to it, there's a lot to do and you won't be (shouldn't be) going out just to have fun all that much. Just find a decent apartment where ever you end up, figure out how you study best for each class, and work.

Personally, I really enjoyed LECOM. They are no-nonsense and that fits my personality pretty well (see previous paragraph). From exam 1 in post bac, they are preparing you for your board exams. I knew MS1's at other schools who were taking easier / more relaxed exams that we were (they had fewer questions, more time, and were surprised at our level of depth). In my opinion, LECOM felt hard but fair - they want to push their students and make good doctors. If you have any other questions let me know.

Reactions: 2 users
I am accepted into the DO program! I have to agree with a lot of what @Vibrio123 said! But I will answer the questions in my own words as well :)

How did it go? This is a tough program, mentally prepare yourself but YOU CAN DO IT! Positivity, Tenacity and Passion is key. This program contains a good amount of the material that is seen in the first and second years of the medical school at LECOM. (Even some of the same power points) Vibrio is right from day one you are being prepared for the boards, probably a reason that LECOM has really good board scores overall.

LECOM seems to be the school that accepts the most of its students to their medical school. Is that true? Depends on how well the class does, I believe about 60% go into the school, but don't quote me on that.Above a 3.0 with no failing classes, stay out of trouble, treat professors and peers with respect, and be a good person= acceptance. ~80/165 receive a 3.0 or higher in the fall to kind of give you an idea and only 5 students with a 4.0...unfortunately we don't get the final stats for the post bac class overall regarding how many achieved a 3.0 or higher overall.

If you don't end up going to their school, do you feel like it makes you a more attractive candidate for other programs? I don't know, I didn't apply to any other programs to know.

What was class schedule and class load like? It seems like because class is only 2-6 Mon-Fri (class doesn't normally run that late, some day out in 2 hours) that you have a lot of free time, but you don't. I would be up by 7 am start studying that previous lecture then around lunch I would preview the lecture for that day, go to class, go home and rewrite my notes into a word doc from the power points that were supplied/study some more and finish my day around 11 pm. And the cycle repeats, I do stress that you need sleep!!! On a weekend 7 am-11pm were around my study hours with breaks. There is really never homework except for some online quizzes here and there....keep track of those, there were a lot of people that missed a few points because they forgot and trust me EVERY POINT COUNTS! We would also have excel sessions that were optional about once every two weeks from 1-2 pm (right before class) which would go over some topics we where currently covering, and provide good testing taking tips. There are also optional review sessions in the spring for anatomy put on by the MS1 a lot of which are former post bacs (SUPER HELPFUL). Attend them, attendance is taken and when they review your application they will notice whether you attended or not (not make or break but shows that you are really putting in the effort). I found the spring semester to be easier than the fall, but this is actually the opposite from most students because of pharm. (By the way don't let it scare you, I loved it, pharm is not as hard as people say it is just requires a lot of time, this is when time management is tested) Spend the money and get sketchy medical you won't regret it :)

How was living in Lake Erie? Erie for me is alright, anything you need you can get between Peach St. and the Mall on Interchange Rd. Everything is very convenient! But you don't have time to go out, some people go out after exams but I was honestly so burnt out at that point I would go home.

Also you are required to dress in professional attire daily during business hours and always have to have your badge on you and visible.

Thanks guys! Super helpful. I'm very interested in Lecom now.

As for the others, anybody have similar feedback?

I was in the LECOM post bacc program because I was accepted to the school and struggled and was put in the program as a refresher course. It is a great program and really prepares you for medical school (its the same material toned down and the same professors). It's after hours so you have time to do a part time job if you need to. When I was in it, 95% of the post-back class matriculated. LECOM is not out to fail students, they really bend over backwards for students to do well so they will pass the boards.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't ever go to a new post-bac (cross UIW off your list)! If you have an acceptance to an MD-post bacc, take that one. If not an MD post-bac, then a DO post-bacc at a older school.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted into VCOM post-bacc. Waiting on loads of others post-bacc/masters linkage programs, esp LECOM and MUCOM. I feel as if even I get into those programs, VCOM is what I will go with. VCOM has a similar matriculation % as LECOM and from what I've read semesters are easier - which may explain the 3.6 GPA needed instead of the LECOM 3.0 GPA. Another big factor is the fact that LECOM is PBL and I think I would benefit from a more tradition way of learning but they still have early clinical exposure as part of their med school protocol.

LMU and Touro-CA are other post-baccs/masters I applied to but haven't heard the best things from them such as hiked tuition and weaker linkage. I just haven't read anything bad about VCOM in order for me to switch to LECOM (assuming I'd get in).

As for MUCOM, a new post-bacc, but the semester is only 12 credits and living in Indy would be cool. It being a new PB with no track record of getting kids into their med school other than this past year worries me however. As of now I'm only in VCOM and for that I am grateful and excited.

Cheers!

Accepted into VCOM post-bacc. Waiting on loads of others post-bacc/masters linkage programs, esp LECOM and MUCOM. I feel as if even I get into those programs, VCOM is what I will go with. VCOM has a similar matriculation % as LECOM and from what I've read semesters are easier - which may explain the 3.6 GPA needed instead of the LECOM 3.0 GPA. Another big factor is the fact that LECOM is PBL and I think I would benefit from a more tradition way of learning but they still have early clinical exposure as part of their med school protocol.

LMU and Touro-CA are other post-baccs/masters I applied to but haven't heard the best things from them such as hiked tuition and weaker linkage. I just haven't read anything bad about VCOM in order for me to switch to LECOM (assuming I'd get in).

As for MUCOM, a new post-bacc, but the semester is only 12 credits and living in Indy would be cool. It being a new PB with no track record of getting kids into their med school other than this past year worries me however. As of now I'm only in VCOM and for that I am grateful and excited.

Cheers!

LECOM's post bac is lecture based not PBL

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM's post bac is lecture based not PBL
But the osteopathic school is upon matriculation meaning that your education of medicine will be PBL based which works for some and doesn't work with others

But the osteopathic school is upon matriculation meaning that your education of medicine will be PBL based which works for some and doesn't work with others

LECOM has several different pathways upon entering to the DO school and you get to say your preferences as well as what campus you would prefer. I am in lecture direct pathway (LDP), this pathway I believe has the most seats, lectures all day long. PBL is also available, DSP (Direct study is available, so most learning is on your own) and there is also a pathway for people that are specifically wanting to go into primary care and lastly there is a pathway for people that already have a degree as a PA. Tons of different pathways for a ton of different learners :)

It can get confusing because there are so many options

Reactions: 1 users
Let's clarify some things, LECOM has three established campuses, Lake Erie, Seton Hill, and Bradenton.

Lake Erie has the most options of study, LDP, DSP, PBL, and primary care.

Seton Hill and Bradenton have PBL only.

Which post-bacc you do can effect the school you get into, and thus the way in which you get educated. So be aware of that when deciding.

@bdavis23

Which of those programs are still offering a Guaranteed Acceptance if you meet certain criteria, and which ones are only offering Guaranteed interview?

@bdavis23

Which of those programs are still offering a Guaranteed Acceptance if you meet certain criteria, and which ones are only offering Guaranteed interview?
Pretty sure all give you interview which basically extends to auto accept... urs to lose at that point

Cheers!

Regarding LMU, the tuition is on par with most of the other DO schools that aren't LECOM or state schools. And as of last year Nearly 90% of MS students matriculated to DCOM.

That said, the program isn't perfect. But it's certainly not the worst option if you are trying to get into school.

Are you in a SMP, or have you done a Post-Bach program connected to a med school?
Soon to do VCOM post-bacc most likely. I have applied to other post-bacc/masters programs with linkage as well.

Regarding LMU, the tuition is on par with most of the other DO schools that aren't LECOM or state schools. And as of last year Nearly 90% of MS students matriculated to DCOM.

That said, the program isn't perfect. But it's certainly not the worst option if you are trying to get into school.
That's the thing - should I wait to see what LMU says since their matriculation is 90% into their school or do VCOM who's only got about 60% matriculation into their school?

Soon to do VCOM post-bacc most likely. I have applied to other post-bacc/masters programs with linkage as well.

VCOM still has the guaranteed acceptance if you maintain a 3.6?

The trend I am noticing is that many SMPs/Post-Bach programs at DO schools are starting to get rid of the guaranteed acceptance and move to guaranteed interview. My own SMP program use to offer a guaranteed acceptance then transitioned to only guaranteed interview.

VCOM still has the guaranteed acceptance if you maintain a 3.6?

The trend I am noticing is that many SMPs/Post-Bach programs at DO schools are starting to get rid of the guaranteed acceptance and move to guaranteed interview. My own SMP program use to offer a guaranteed acceptance then transitioned to only guaranteed interview.
Yeah exactly - but this guaranteed interview as long as you don't totally mess it up should be more of a formality

If you read the lmu threads you see that it's 90% interview. I don't know how many actually matriculate. Vcom is the only one with direct acceptance which makes it a bit more attractive.

If you read the lmu threads you see that it's 90% interview. I don't know how many actually matriculate. Vcom is the only one with direct acceptance which makes it a bit more attractive.

~90% matriculated this past year **out of the people who interviewed**

Sorry. In other words, ~90% of people with a >/= 3.0 got into DCOM. The 10% who did not were people who either did not interview well or had an exceptionally poor MCAT.

I, myself, am one of the 90% that is now at DCOM. If you (or anyone else) have any questions about the program or DCOM, you can PM me if you want to.

~90% matriculated this past year **out of the people who interviewed**

Sorry. In other words, ~90% of people with a >/= 3.0 got into DCOM. The 10% who did not were people who either did not interview well or had an exceptionally poor MCAT.

I, myself, am one of the 90% that is now at DCOM. If you (or anyone else) have any questions about the program or DCOM, you can PM me if you want to.
Was it fairly easy to get above a 3.0?
Would you have gone to other osteopathic post-bacc programs if you had the chance?
How was living in De Moines?

L.M.U. had over 180 students in its masters in 2015-2016, they took about 55. The over 80% days were the year before when the masters program was only in the 70's and they still took 55. That said if you complete it and get in, your first year will be cake IMO.

Where are you getting these numbers?

Was it fairly easy to get above a 3.0?
Would you have gone to other osteopathic post-bacc programs if you had the chance?
How was living in De Moines?

It was definitely doable; however, you are thinking of DMU, not LMU. LMU is in Tennessee.

Where are you getting these numbers?
I was told they took 58 people for 2019, and that they wanted to accept 'about the same amountfor 2020,' I looked at one point and knew that there was over 180 masters students in the MGA last year vs only like 72 the year before (per prior masters). So same amount accepted would be alot less. Admittedly, I don't know if they followed thru on taking 55ish as I certainly don't care to track. But I believe it when they said they didn't want to take more.

VCOM is a direct acceptance having met 3.6 GPA. Refer to link posted above.

Hey guys! Which program did you end up choosing and why?

Hey guys! Which program did you end up choosing and why?
Doing VCOM Grad Program starting late July and stoked about it!

Pros
- 3.6 GPA in first semester and by Xmas you can are automatically admitted into the medical school for following year (with a 494+ MCAT score)
- 75% of last years post bacc students matriculated VCOM this way, with the other 25% either getting into other medical schools or dropping out
- 100 students in program gives a good sense of team work and availability to teachers

Cons
- Would rather be somewhere a little more city associated but whatever - heads gonna be buried in books anyways

Cheers!

Pros
- 3.6 GPA in first semester and by Xmas you can are automatically admitted into the medical school for following year (with a 494+ MCAT score)
- 75% of last years post bacc students matriculated VCOM this way, with the other 25% either getting into other medical schools or dropping out
- 100 students in program gives a good sense of team work and availability to teachers

Cons
- Would rather be somewhere a little more city associated but whatever - heads gonna be buried in books anyways

Cheers!

Good luck! Sounds like great stats.

Pros

Cons

Cheers!
Is it 75??? I only saw 55% when I was looking into it

What's the MCAT requirement like to get into the program and the mcat requirement to get the conditional at LECOM?

What's the MCAT requirement like to get into the program and the mcat requirement to get the conditional at LECOM?

Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System

• Applicants may be evaluated by using an Academic Index Score (AIS) rather than an MCAT in order to be considered for the program. This is calculated by using an SAT (math/reading) OR an ACT score combined with an overall undergraduate GPA. If an applicant has taken the MCAT exam, results must be within three years of the application year. Applicants who took the MCAT exam after April 2015 and are not using the AIS, must score in the 40th percentile or higher to successfully matriculate from the Post Bac program to the DO program

Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System

• Applicants may be evaluated by using an Academic Index Score (AIS) rather than an MCAT in order to be considered for the program. This is calculated by using an SAT (math/reading) OR an ACT score combined with an overall undergraduate GPA. If an applicant has taken the MCAT exam, results must be within three years of the application year. Applicants who took the MCAT exam after April 2015 and are not using the AIS, must score in the 40th percentile or higher to successfully matriculate from the Post Bac program to the DO program

I saw that too but when the other above described it they left out the mcat aspect so I'm wondering it's that a hush hush thing or if there's set rule, or one has to retake it by a certain point to meet the 40% etc.

I saw that too but when the other above described it they left out the mcat aspect so I'm wondering it's that a hush hush thing or if there's set rule, or one has to retake it by a certain point to meet the 40% etc.

If they accept you in the postbacc program either using your current mcat score or using a combination of an old mcat and the AIS, then you are fine. Once you're accepted, you will not have to re-take the exam. I'm only using my gpas and mcat to get in and not the AIS, and I was told I would need around a 497 to be competitive for the post bacc, but once I'm in, I will NOT have to retake.

Hope this helps!

If they accept you in the postbacc program either using your current mcat score or using a combination of an old mcat and the AIS, then you are fine. Once you're accepted, you will not have to re-take the exam. I'm only using my gpas and mcat to get in and not the AIS, and I was told I would need around a 497 to be competitive for the post bacc, but once I'm in, I will NOT have to retake.

Hope this helps!

Nice! Are you going to LECOM or VCOM, man?

Is it 75??? I only saw 55% when I was looking into it
I spoke to someone who did program and he said 75/98 post bacc students will be at VCOM-VA, VCOM-SC, or VCOM-Auburn.

In my original post I said 75% last year, what I meant was this past class, 75 of the 98-100 students will be attending one of the three campuses VCOM has to offer

Last edited:
Nice! Are you going to LECOM or VCOM, man?

I get the MCAT score next week and that will decide if LECOM will take me or not. I got in VCOM though, so getting all the required paperwork in.
So I guess we'll see. Both programs are good in my opinion and give us that shot of being a doctor and it's up to us to use that chance to our advantage.

Are you taking the MCAT this month?

I get the MCAT score next week and that will decide if LECOM will take me or not. I got in VCOM though, so getting all the required paperwork in.
So I guess we'll see. Both programs are good in my opinion and give us that shot of being a doctor and it's up to us to use that chance to our advantage.

Are you taking the MCAT this month?
good luck on your mcat, what was your GPA if you don't mind? i recognize your avy from like 70% of the threads in the post-bac forum lol

I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I was just curious if anyone who had previously been asking questions on this thread had some feedback for people like me that are applying right now. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.