That's awesome. Congrats on finishing the program! How did it go? I do have quite a few questions haha. LECOM seems to be the school that accepts the most of its students to their medical school. Is that true? Did you get accepted into their school? If you don't end up going to their school, do you feel like it makes you a more attractive candidate for other programs? What was class schedule and class load like? and how was living in lake eerie?
Thanks!!!
Not the same person you quoted - but I also just finished the LECOM post bac and did well, I'll be an MS1 at LECOM in July.
Do they accept the most? I have no idea. Our class did really well, but based on some statistics they showed us and what we heard about previous years it
seemed like on average more than 50% of the post bac students were accepted to medical school. Our class started around 160~170 students and ended with about 135, (but not all of them made it in, some were just staying to get a certificate despite not being able to achieve a 3.0 GPA)
Does it make you a more attractive candidate for other programs? I knew a couple other people who went to LECOM for post bac and got into other schools (PCOM and MSU specifically if I remember correctly). So you can go to LECOM for post bac with the intentions of applying to other schools / programs. LECOM knows that and aren't offended by it if students choose to go to school somewhere else after post bac.
Class schedule is Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm every day. But you have to work much more than that. I personally would wake up early and do about 5-6 hours of studying before lunch to get a start on the day (usually previewing that day's lecture), then have a 3-4 hour class, and finish up with another 2 or so hours of studying at night. A "good day" for me was 10-12 hours of studying/class from 7:00am - 10:00pm with breaks. Weekends would be a similar story unless there was an exam coming up in which I would study up to 15 or 16 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. It sounds like a lot but when your future depends on it you sort of just sit down and do it.
Erie is fine, I almost never went out (see previous paragraph) but the place is nice. It rained and snowed a lot, it's pretty windy if you walk to class. There are a lot of fast food chains and some nice restaurants. Presque isle is really cool if you enjoy beaches / hiking / running. Honestly I didn't pay too much attention to it, there's a lot to do and you won't be (shouldn't be) going out just to have fun all that much. Just find a decent apartment where ever you end up, figure out how you study best for each class, and work.
Personally, I really enjoyed LECOM. They are no-nonsense and that fits my personality pretty well (see previous paragraph). From exam 1 in post bac, they are preparing you for your board exams. I knew MS1's at other schools who were taking easier / more relaxed exams that we were (they had fewer questions, more time, and were surprised at our level of depth). In my opinion, LECOM felt hard but fair - they want to push their students and make good doctors. If you have any other questions let me know.