Verging on a C in biochemistry but already planning on doing a SMP...is there hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollivander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently verging on a C in biochemistry. It's not that I don't understand the material. I use Chad's videos as a supplement to the course and understand it perfectly there. But my professor is awful and the exams are ridiculous (taught more in the style of MCAT prep/crash course than students going through biochem for the first time). Here's how I currently stand:

Bio 1 (CC in high school): A
Bio 2 (CC in high school): A
Physics 1 (CC): B
Physics 2 (CC): B
Anatomy 1: C (Retook and got an A the second time around)
Anatomy 2: A
Gen Chem 1: A (A in lab)
Gen Chem 2: B (A in lab)
Organic 1: B (B in lab)
Organic 2: B (A in lab)
Biochemistry: Possibly a C
Calculus I: C

I plan to do a SMP upon completion of my undergrad degree. My sGPA with everything included will be a 3.16. My oGPA will be around a 3.4. With a 20+ AA on the DAT with no sections below 18, how competitive am I? I plan to apply to 20-25 schools while enrolled in the SMP. Thanks in advance guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Get the best grade you can (undergrad GPA still matters). Adjust your study habit; if other pre-health classmates can ace the class, you can too. IMHO, "MCAT prep/crash course" means nothing because some dental schools offer the same course to medical/dental students. Every course in dental school will be a crash course. Learn the material your prof teaches. Study with a pre-med friend. I have a similar GPA. Ace your SMP. Ace your DAT. Apply broadly. Have hope.

Yes. Get the best grade you can (undergrad GPA still matters). Adjust your study habit; if other pre-health classmates can ace the class, you can too. IMHO, "MCAT prep/crash course" means nothing because some dental schools offer the same course to medical/dental students. Every course in dental school will be a crash course. Learn the material your prof teaches. Study with a pre-med friend. I have a similar GPA. Ace your SMP. Ace your DAT. Apply broadly. Have hope.
What I meant by that is the professor is going into specifics that wouldn't normally be covered in an undergrad course in addition to going off on tangents to other subjects that are not a prereq for biochemistry. It's just a really bad professor. I think the class average for last exam was a 64, so it's not just me struggling, it's the entire class outside of a handful of outliers. I just didn't know if making a C in biochemistry would be a nail in the coffin, even if I flourish in a SMP. I appreciate you responding.

Members don't see this ad :)
nail in the coffin? na.

look for
Biochemistry (Lippincott Illustrated Reviews Series) 5th Edition in amazon.
older edition for around 20 bucks. saved my %%% during undergrad and supplemental for dental school (if your prof is bad).
gl .

I think I'm going to fail biochemistry. If so I'll take it this coming summer then once I finish it and graduate go straight into the SMP once I finish up in August. If I fail it, my sGPA drops to a 3.06. If I fail it and then ace it in a summer, my sGPA would jump to a 3.10. I just don't know what to think at this point. My motivation is shot, but I'm trying my best to keep pushing forward. I've never been this afraid of even the possibility of failing a class.

I think I'm going to fail biochemistry. If so I'll take it this coming summer then once I finish it and graduate go straight into the SMP once I finish up in August. If I fail it, my sGPA drops to a 3.06. If I fail it and then ace it in a summer, my sGPA would jump to a 3.10. I just don't know what to think at this point. My motivation is shot, but I'm trying my best to keep pushing forward. I've never been this afraid of even the possibility of failing a class.

Is it too late to drop the course? If so, just try your best till the end. Sometimes there could be an unexpected silent curve at the end if everyones doing bad. Try to ace the remaining tests like your life depended on it.

Is it too late to drop the course? If so, just try your best till the end. Sometimes there could be an unexpected silent curve at the end if everyones doing bad. Try to ace the remaining tests like your life depended on it.
I can drop with a WF (withdrawal with failing grade).

Last edited:

Stay positive, I know the feeling. I had to drop cell and molecular biology this semester. Now I have a good bit of W's on my transcript. It really took a lot out of me, but I'm trying to keep my head above water. Everything will work out, but just keep at it.

I just talked to the professor today and I can drop with a WP. So should I drop and retake it this summer before my masters begins in the fall?

I just talked to the professor today and I can drop with a WP. So should I drop and retake it this summer before my masters begins in the fall?

If you think you are going to fail the course for sure, then I would drop it. If you think you can pull C or better, then I would keep going. Now I understand that you have lots of Ws already so choose wisely.

Reactions: 1 user
If you think you are going to fail the course for sure, then I would drop it. If you think you can pull C or better, then I would keep going. Now I understand that you have lots of Ws already so choose wisely.
I do have a lot of W's. A lot. Maybe too many.

But at the end of the day I feel as though it may be easier to explain the W's than sitting with no shot at dental school because of a failing grade in an upper level science course that's a prereq for a handful of dental schools if not most, right? Even though I have a lot, that's why I'm doing a masters. I'm continuing my education to build off of what I've already learned and to prepare myself for dental school. I realize I'm not the most intelligent applicant and that sometimes it takes me longer to grasp material than another student, but if I can show a committee that I eventually grasped the subject and material and I'm ready to move forward and build on the foundation that I've now learned (learned, not memorized), that would mean more than sitting with a failing grade and having no chance?

What do you think?

I do have a lot of W's. A lot. Maybe too many.

But at the end of the day I feel as though it may be easier to explain the W's than sitting with no shot at dental school because of a failing grade in an upper level science course that's a prereq for a handful of dental schools if not most, right? Even though I have a lot, that's why I'm doing a masters. I'm continuing my education to build off of what I've already learned and to prepare myself for dental school. I realize I'm not the most intelligent applicant and that sometimes it takes me longer to grasp material than another student, but if I can show a committee that I eventually grasped the subject and material and I'm ready to move forward and build on the foundation that I've now learned (learned, not memorized), that would mean more than sitting with a failing grade and having no chance?

What do you think?

Well for me personally, I would rather W than fail the course. I think saving your gpa is way more important than having lots of Ws. It all comes down to whether you think you can pass the course or not. If you are not confident, then dropping would be the best option. How many Ws do you have though? If I rember correctly, didnt you have like more than 5? having too many Ws can look just as bad, so if you have chance to pass the class, then keep on and study!