Vet Corps but not HSPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nc17wolfpack

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a second year vet student considering joining the Vet Corps after graduation. However, I did not apply for the HSPS lasts year just to keep options open. Has anyone pursued the Vet Corps after graduation not on the HSPS and can exlain how it works/the timeline while in and after school. Do they only take so many graduates not on HSPS, or does everyone who wants to do it get commissioned? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was HPSP FWIW...

Your best option is to discuss this with an AMEDD healthcare recruiter as they can let you know about opportunities. I would imagine that the few spots that open up continue to be competitive. You'll need to do the Direct Commission Course and Basic Officer Leaders Courses (Parts 1 and 2) to get you situated with the Army at first -- given that this takes some time and puts you off-cycle for a Intern year, I'm not sure what your 1st assignment might be. What is available may be 'the needs of the service' which may require a significant move (especially if overseas).

The Army takes approximately 10 veterinarian direct accessions (not HPSP) per year. You have to meet the accessioning standards of an officer in the Army (physical, moral, security clearance, etc.) and as stated above, you will have to undergo some officer training right out of the gate. The best advice, as above is to contact an Army AMMED recruiter for the "how to" of getting started. You can also get a little overview at this site: Veterinarian Careers & Jobs.

One last thing, once you are in the Army, you are welcome to apply for the Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP). It offers something like 40K/year before taxes to offset your student loans.

Last edited: