This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best AZ university for pre med

• ASU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NAU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jiperoo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker and first time poster.

I wanted to get some advise because when I used our handy dandy search engine I couldn't find any results. I am currently trying to plan out my undergraduate career to go as swimmingly as possible and I am trying to choose my major. I know the generic answer is "do what interests you most" and I am indeed trying to have that be my choice here but all I can do is narrow down my choice list.
I am currently what would be a high school senior but I got my GED last year and I am a full time welder and a student at the local trade school in Arizona and I have the opportunity to go to mesa community college next year and then transfer to one of the state universities and I currently need to plan my major out as soon as possible so I can do my undergraduate as efficiently as I can. Right now I am looking at 3 majors: a BS in Veterinary science (at UofA), BS in Psychology (at any of the universities) or a mechanical engineering degree (at any of the universities, but likely ASU due to their strong engineering programs).
All the programs can fill my pre med requirements, But right now I am leaning towards veterinary science, not because I want to be a vet, but because it is interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this major, and if it helped you or if you would advise against it, that you could enlighten me (or any future doctor wondering the same thing) with. Also I like psychology because it will help me empathize with others and it is allegedly easier to maintain a much higher GPA when applying to med school, which seems like the biggest perk of any major since as I have been reading my major does not matter at all. Lastly I ponder the thought of ME because I am a hands on kind of man and can appreciate that as a fall back career but I don't want to just kiss a high GPA goodbye because I liked this much more tedious major just as much as an easier one, but regardless, people on here are probably much wiser than me and any advise appreciated. I'm always looking to learn here.

Thank you all on behalf of myself and any curious reader(s).

P.S. just for kicks and giggles I added a poll for thoughts on AZ universities in case any other future students were curious

Members don't see this ad.

A vet science major will burden you with doubts by Adcom memebrs who will think "Why Medicine? Why not just be a vet"?
Ok so that being as it is, looking at my other other two choices, do you guys think psych is truly the easy pre med course and do AdComs see it that way as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't dedicate four years of your life to a major you think will yield an easy GPA, but do it because it is something you are truly interested in. You still have to do well in science coursework, as a science/math GPA is just as important. No one can pick your major for you. ME is a good fall back career if med school doesn't work out, which is a real possibility for over half of all applications (I personally will be apply again next year after a failed first year application cycle). I don't know how well engineering and pre-med course work go together as far as rigor. Pre-med course work can be quite challenging.

Other food-for-thought: if you are a non-science major, do exceptionally well in your science coursework. You would have less opportunities to 'pad' a science GPA with other coursework aside from the 12 or so required courses.

I don't know how well engineering and pre-med course work go together as far as rigor. Pre-med course work can be quite challenging.

Not very well. Of course, people have done it successfully.