Vitamin D and Dogs

Started by Angelus9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Angelus9

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone direct me to some links about this?

I thought that dogs don't get Vitamin D from sunlight, but make their own, so to speak. Is this true? Can they synthesize SOME Vit. D from sunlight? Tried doing an internet search but keep getting all these links saying dogs do need sunlight to get Vit. D and I'm having trouble finding reliable information.

Did find this: http://www.2ndchance.info/birdsvitd.htm, which says (sorry about the font size):

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'Dogs and cats cannot synthesize vitamin D-3; in the wild they would obtain it by eating prey so it is added to all their complete commercial pet foods.."

The reason I'm asking is I just heard someone advising owners to make sure their dogs get more sunlight because they needed more Vitamin D.

Thanks.
 
Can anyone direct me to some links about this?

I thought that dogs don't get Vitamin D from sunlight, but make their own, so to speak. Is this true? Can they synthesize SOME Vit. D from sunlight? Tried doing an internet search but keep getting all these links saying dogs do need sunlight to get Vit. D and I'm having trouble finding reliable information.

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/otherendo/vitamind.html

I guess you can say that dogs make their own vitamin D by utilizing sunlight. The inactive form of vitamin D is produced from cholesterol, and sunlight is required to convert that into the active form. You can also supplement vit D in food. But yes, for the most part, the dog synthesizes it on their own and sunlight is needed. I don't think that means you need to have your dog sunbathing everyday though. Unless dogs are kept 24/7 in a dungeon... I don't think the average dog owner has to do much beyond feed a commercial dog food to make sure their pets have adequate amounts of vit D. maybe someone can chime in about exactly how much sunlight is needed per day...
 
Actually, we just covered vitamins in class this week and learned that there is effectively no UV conversion in the skin for dogs and cats. They need to get Vitamin D from their diet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering sunlight needs to directly contact and be absorbed by skin, the fur coat on pets would definitely be a hindrance to vitamin D conversion. I have never heard of a problem with low vit D in dogs, it is in fish and dairy and I think that a lot of dog foods have one of those or are supplemented. It takes a lot to overdose, I think. According to the link below, for an average dog, it seems the toxic dose would be 3 of the big D pills I took for a vit D deficiency, or 6 or my daily multivitamins. But the second link shows it did happen once with contaminated dog food.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5057515_vitamin-requirements-dogs.html

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov10/101115h.asp