VMCAS GPA - ugrad versus post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BarnyardPunch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this has come up before, but couldn't find a consensus...

For overall GPA, it says to use the GPA at the institution where you got your degree OR where you did most of your pre-reqs. I took zero pre-reqs at the college I received my undergraduate degree at over 10 years ago. I've taken most of my pre-reqs at another completely unrelated school. My ugrad GPA, frankly, sucks. My GPA at the college where I've taken most of my pre-reqs is much better and I'd like to use it. However, even though it says you can use that GPA, does it appear deceptive to do so?

What have you other non-trads done for GPA?
 
I used pre-req post-bac GPA. It was the best number and it was most relevant. If they didn't want you to use it, they wouldn't give you the option.

Most of the schools calculate their own GPAs anyway but might as well make yourself look the best you can.
 
For non-trads, what if the pre-reqs have been taken at multiple schools? Can you calculate the GPA on your own? Or is it best to just take the undergrad GPA as stated on your transcript? I think my pre-req GPA is better, but my undergrad GPA is good too...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GPA has to be from one school "primary" ,so you can't just pick and choose.

Time between is irrelevant.

Primary school does NOT have to be one with a degree (again I chose the more recent non-degree school).

Really just choose what looks best as long as it is reasonable.
 
I used my undergrad GPA, even though I had done no pre-reqs there and it was actually (a little bit) lower than my post-bacc pre-req GPA. I chose my UG GPA because it is the one associated with my only actual degree earned, and honestly because it is from a "more impressive" school, for whatever that's worth (probably nothing, at least for VMCAS).

So in conclusion, as others have already said, just pick whichever one you prefer and are comfortable with. It really doesn't matter. Good luck with your application!
 
Last edited:
I'm applying to Ohio State and asked them the same question. The reply I received said that it didn't really matter because all of my courses were going to be listed on my VMCAS app and they were going to do the GPA calculating based on all my courses. Hope this helps!