This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In asking for letters of recommendations- does it look better to have multiple letters from a vet vs a non-vet? I currently have 5 letters and one is from a vet. Would it look best to have another vet write, a professor write, or just leave it as is?

Members don't see this ad.

In asking for letters of recommendations- does it look better to have multiple letters from a vet vs a non-vet? I currently have 5 letters and one is from a vet. Would it look best to have another vet write, a professor write, or just leave it as is?

Same. But I went with people that know me very well in different areas of my life. (1 vet, an engineering boss, the president of a nonprofit I’ve been with for 7 years, and 2 professors) :shrug:

I’d like to do something nice for my letter writers as a token of my appreciation but I’m not sure what. 3/5 live 1000+ miles away so that limits my options ... curious to know what others have done?

The most important thing in picking people to ask for letters is to think about what aspects of your life they know best, and how closely you worked with them. When I had application reviews with schools last summer I got mixed opinions on the types of people that wrote my letters, but the strongest ones were from those I had worked more closely with (my boss/vet and undergrad research advisers)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all i have a question,
Will my grade from a 3-credit study abroad course factor into my last 45 GPA even if it's a transfer credit? I just counted back my credits and the study abroad course was put into the semester where my last 45 would stop if it were to be counted for in that semester.

It doesn't tell me whether the credits from my study abroad will my factored into my last 45 GPA
If you earned a grade for it, just like if you took any other class at any other US school, it counts. No different than taking a community college course at home over the summer.
You also need to send a transcript from the abroad school or whatever US school gave you the grade and transcript.

If you earned a grade for it, just like if you took any other class at any other US school, it counts. No different than taking a community college course at home over the summer.
You also need to send a transcript from the abroad school or whatever US school gave you the grade and transcript.

Ok, thank you :)

Hi! I'm a first time applicant and have a question about pre-reqs... I am planning to apply to both OSU and CSU this cycle, but have three outstanding pre-reqs that I will be taking this fall. Both of their websites do not say anything about having a certain percentage of pre-reqs done at the time of submitting the application (that I can find) but say that they need to be completed by July of the year Vet school would start. Is this correct or is there a specific number of pre-reqs I can have that I am missing??
Thank you in advance!

(Ps there are three OSUs. Oregon State, Oklahoma State, and Ohio State)

Best bet though is to email each school directly. They are the ones making decisions about your application and this is more of a question for them, especially since things can change between cycles.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends where you're applying. WSU for example wants to know like literally everything you've done. So I'm of the opinion include it with reasonable hours ie 30min a day since you were say 8 when you actually understood how to take care of pet unless you had a more time intensive pet like a diabetic dog. If the schools dont care about it they will glance right over it
MSU is the same way about the wanting you to write a narrative.

MSU is the same way about the wanting you to write a narrative.
Already got that school covered ;)
I know Michigan State specifically wants the narrative style and wants you to say what you learned from each experience (they said it in a denied applicant workshop). Contact some of your schools (specifically your IS) and see if they have a preference

For extracurriculars, is it worth it to put down clubs I was only in for a year? For instance, I was in a biological honors society and a national honors fraternity, but only for one year. I did do both of these things, but at the same time I don't want to seem like I'm putting them down because I think the name will make me look any better, if that makes sense. I did them for a year and decided they weren't worth any more time/money. I'm not sure if putting them would make my application look worse or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
For extracurriculars, is it worth it to put down clubs I was only in for a year? For instance, I was in a biological honors society and a national honors fraternity, but only for one year. I did do both of these things, but at the same time I don't want to seem like I'm putting them down because I think the name will make me look any better, if that makes sense. I did them for a year and decided they weren't worth any more time/money. I'm not sure if putting them would make my application look worse or not.
Remember, this isn’t a job application. Schools aren’t looking to see how long you can stick with an activity/club. They want to see that you did things other than just study for four years. Even if you just went to a couple meetings, you still tried to expand your horizons and get out there. Definitely put it down.

hey guys! I already added my pre-reqs and my transcripts (submitted official transcript and manuall wrote them in), but im not sure how to add them to the individual applications? how do i do this?!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 9.09.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 9.09.10 PM.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 101
I thought adding my classes and receiving my official transcript meant that it was finalized?
Finalizing is a separate step: VMCAS Transcript Entry

You can’t designate classes as prerequisites for the schools you’re applying to until after you’ve gone back to Transcript Entry and clicked Review and Finalize. They should show up after that.

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed there are some very nice people that have reviewed PS/Essays in the past... Is there a place to send out a call for help? I'd love to get another set of eyes on my essays.

Hi guys! I am first time applicant and new to the site. I have some questions if anyone could answer that would be awesome!

1) Not sure what to do here- I started my first official job with animals as a VA in Feb/March ( i had volunteer experience with wildlife in the past). By May they liked me so much they promoted me to vet tech and began training me-- I am in Maryland and don't understand the license/certification laws, but was told it was fine. I have been using the software, checking in rooms, and by the end of the summer I will probably start doing things like giving vaccines, fluids, etc. I know I am not an officially licensed vet tech and won't have all the procedures down by the time of the application so should I put my few months as a VA and then add another experience of Vet Tech in Training? Thoughts on this situation?

2) I am finishing up a pre-req and the end of the term is August 1, do you think waiting to get the official grade back for that class is too close to the deadline? It would prob be first or second week of August and then I could send in my official transcript. I am trying to get my science GPA up so I really wanted to include it.

I noticed there are some very nice people that have reviewed PS/Essays in the past... Is there a place to send out a call for help? I'd love to get another set of eyes on my essays.
There's typically a Personal Statement Readers thread made around this time for volunteers to post their information to contact them for such things. I'm actually a little surprised that one hasn't been started yet for this current cycle; I can get one up and running in a few minutes for you guys.

ETA: 2024 Personal Statement Readers!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! I am first time applicant and new to the site. I have some questions if anyone could answer that would be awesome!

1) Not sure what to do here- I started my first official job with animals as a VA in Feb/March ( i had volunteer experience with wildlife in the past). By May they liked me so much they promoted me to vet tech and began training me-- I am in Maryland and don't understand the license/certification laws, but was told it was fine. I have been using the software, checking in rooms, and by the end of the summer I will probably start doing things like giving vaccines, fluids, etc. I know I am not an officially licensed vet tech and won't have all the procedures down by the time of the application so should I put my few months as a VA and then add another experience of Vet Tech in Training? Thoughts on this situation?

2) I am finishing up a pre-req and the end of the term is August 1, do you think waiting to get the official grade back for that class is too close to the deadline? It would prob be first or second week of August and then I could send in my official transcript. I am trying to get my science GPA up so I really wanted to include it.
For your first question, I would definitely at least say that you were promoted to vet tech. I wouldn’t specifically say that you’re still in training because that’s a little less important. You were an assistant and then you were promoted to a vet tech. If you look up job descriptions, there’s no such thing as a “vet tech in training” so don’t discount yourself. You don’t need to talk yourself down on an application. If anything, talk yourself up. Don’t say “well I’m kind of a vet tech but really I’m just training and was an assistant for a while and got promoted and I’m not certified.” Yes you’re training, but you’re a vet tech as long as you’re in a state that doesn’t protect that title for only LVT/RVT/CVT holders. It sounds like you’re not in one of those states otherwise I don’t think the hospital would specifically tell you they’re promoting you to a tech. But do your due diligence and research what your state says regarding who can be a vet tech.

For your second question, I would only send in your final transcript after your summer classes if you’ll end up having a month between sending your transcript and the application due date. Maybe 3 weeks if you know 100% that you can request that your school overnight your transcript, but definitely don’t count on that. I’d be safe and just give yourself a month.

Thank you AJS513! I was also wondering about letters of recommendation:

1. LOR-Are they presented in any particular order/should I get my best references in first or last?

2. Could I have my exotics vet give me a letter? He has treated my guinea pigs for about 1.5 years. He actually said I could shadow him this summer but has been incredibly busy. I feel like he might be a good reference because he knows how obsessive I am about my animal's health. I helped him figure out my guinea pig had hyperthyroidism. Would it be weird to ask? Thoughts?

Thank you AJS513! I was also wondering about letters of recommendation:

1. LOR-Are they presented in any particular order/should I get my best references in first or last?

2. Could I have my exotics vet give me a letter? He has treated my guinea pigs for about 1.5 years. He actually said I could shadow him this summer but has been incredibly busy. I feel like he might be a good reference because he knows how obsessive I am about my animal's health. I helped him figure out my guinea pig had hyperthyroidism. Would it be weird to ask? Thoughts?
1. I don’t think that matters. They just all get looked at together.

2. I’m a little conflicted on that. Someone else please give input! My thought is that he wouldn’t be able to attest to you as a potential vet or give input on your work ethic. So because of that I would say maybe don’t use him as a letter writer if you already have 3 or more good letters. But again, maybe someone has a different take on it and can think of how it would be good to use him.

2. Could I have my exotics vet give me a letter? He has treated my guinea pigs for about 1.5 years. He actually said I could shadow him this summer but has been incredibly busy. I feel like he might be a good reference because he knows how obsessive I am about my animal's health. I helped him figure out my guinea pig had

You have to remember that vet med admissions is a competition. Having a letter from your personal vet with no work/volunteer experience with them will be compared to literally thousands of applicants that have a letter from a similar vet, but with hundreds, possibly thousands, of work/volunteer hours. A mediocre letter can hurt you in that comparison.

Don't get that letter. Best case scenario is its neutral for your application. Worst case is it lowers you in ranking.

Reactions: 4 users

I would only use him as a reference if you end up shadowing him. As it stands, he doesn’t know you professionally or know your work ethic. Him writing a letter stating you take great care of your personal pets would not be a strong letter imo.

Personally, I would feel super uncomfortable asking my personal vet (who I haven’t worked for, shadowed, or volunteered with) for a LOR because I feel like that would put her in a weird position. Does she say no and risk terminating our relationship over hurt feelings? Or does she say yes to protect the relationship then struggle with writing a letter or end up writing one that’s super average?

Maybe someone else will have a different take on it, but that’s my 2 cents :)

If anyone wants me to look over their VMCAS essays I can!

If anyone wants me to look over their VMCAS essays I can!
Pop yo name on the readers list!!

Reactions: 3 users
I read through the transcript entry section but wasn't able to find information on this:
1. If I have college credits from high school do I need to request an official transcript from high school be sent to VMCAS?
2. I am currently finishing a pre-requisite course online through a secondary college that only one vet school that I'm applying to requires. This course will be completed after the application deadline, do I need to request an official transcript be sent to VMCAS from this college prior to submitting my application even if there will be no grade received yet? Also, once the course is complete will I still need to send a transcript with the official grade to VMCAS?
Thanks for your help!

@vgurjar I was in your same position a couple years ago!

1. You don't need transcripts from your high school, just the college the credits are through

2. Don't worry about sending transcripts before you have a grade, but still list it on transcript entry as "in progress." Once your final grade is posted, you'll send your transcript to the schools you're applying to instead of VMCAS since the cycle will be closed. Still go ahead and send it to all of the schools though, not just the one requiring it, since they'll still see that you're taking the class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
When it comes to finishing classes.. I have 3 left: Physics 1 & 2 and Biochemistry. I put them in as in progress/pending right? Also, has anyone taken the biochemistry class offered online from New England college or whatever? I feel weird about having an entirely new college listed for a pending class that I have never attended. Thoughts?

When it comes to finishing classes.. I have 3 left: Physics 1 & 2 and Biochemistry. I put them in as in progress/pending right? Also, has anyone taken the biochemistry class offered online from New England college or whatever? I feel weird about having an entirely new college listed for a pending class that I have never attended. Thoughts?
Is there a “planned” option for classes you’re not currently taking? I forget. If not, then yes. In progress. And it’s fine to put down a college you haven’t attended. I put down a school I didn’t actually end up going to at all since I didn’t need the class in the end. So don’t worry about that.

Yes. In progress. I did UC Berkeley biochem online and it was a new college, only class, and pending on my app.

Quick easy question that I am probably just overthinking too much. This one has been confusing me for a bit. I am wondering what gpa I am supposed to report on the section titled “additional information” asking about institutional gpa. I transferred once during my college experience to my current college, which is also my primary institution. My grades at my first college were mediocre, so they bring down my gpa significantly. I was just wondering if the institutional gpa includes only classes completed at the institutional or the cumulative gpa up until the primary college’s point in time. I assume it’s the former option, but I am just wanting to confirm so I do not mess up that portion of my application. Thank you again for your help.

The GPA from the place granting your degree.

I just wanted to confirm the process for transcript entry. I manually write in all of the schools, then I send each official transcript to VMCAS. After they get the official transcript and clear me is when I can choose the classes on my transcript as meeting the minimum pre-reqs? At the same time I submit each individual transcript to each individual school I am applying to.

VMCAS- Do they verify the transcript as it comes or do it all at once? For instance, I can send in my 4-year transfer transcript right now, but I am taking a class this summer at a community college I attended years ago and want to wait to submit that transcripts from CC until the summer grade is posted. If I send in my 4 year degree transcripts will I get any verification that they got it from that particular school? Thanks for your thoughts! Sorry about grammar/structure, I am having some health issues this morning.

At the same time I submit each individual transcript to each individual school I am applying to.
Do not do this. Only submit to vmcas unless a school specifically asks for a copy. That’s what the vmcas verification is for. It just wastes your money to send them individually to each school if they don’t require them.
A lot will ask for a fall transcript after any in progress classes are finished, but that’s because it’s after vmcas is submitted.

VMCAS- Do they verify the transcript as it comes or do it all at once? For instance, I can send in my 4-year transfer transcript right now, but I am taking a class this summer at a community college I attended years ago and want to wait to submit that transcripts from CC until the summer grade is posted. If I send in my 4 year degree transcripts will I get any verification that they got it from that particular school?
They will only do the actual verification process after you have submitted your application (not the individual applications for each schools, but the actual main vmcas app only. You might have to submit to 1 school when you submit the vmcas app, I can’t remember), but they will tell you in “check status” that they have received any other transcripts and gre scores.

They will only do the actual verification process after you have submitted your application (not the individual applications for each schools, but the actual main vmcas app only. You might have to submit to 1 school when you submit the vmcas app, I can’t remember), but they will tell you in “check status” that they have received any other transcripts and gre scores.

Thank you friend! Does anyone know what Ohio State University and MDVA wants for experiences entry? Some say narrative and others say copy and paste resume style. Anyone know if these two schools want you to put pet experience? I saw that above, but seems kind of weird to me to do that.

I was a captain of a rock climbing team, but it was not school related and purely recreational, should I put that somewhere?

I was a captain of a rock climbing team, but it was not school related and purely recreational, should I put that somewhere?
Put rock climbing as a hobby/extracurricular activity! Then in the description you can list you were captain for these years. Schools want to see who you are as a person and that you do things outside of vetmed and school!!

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up, but my good friend who started the Pre- vet society at school with me and was in some of my classes has just finished vet school. She is willing to write me an LOR, but would it look bad that she was my classmate?

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up, but my good friend who started the Pre- vet society at school with me and was in some of my classes has just finished vet school. She is willing to write me an LOR, but would it look bad that she was my classmate?
Have you shadowed her? If yes, it’d be fine. If not, definitely would not count as your vet letter since she cannot speak to your abilities about being a good veterinarian.

Have you shadowed her? If yes, it’d be fine. If not, definitely would not count as your vet letter since she cannot speak to your abilities about being a good veterinarian.
No, I haven't shadowed her, but I already have two letters from veterinarians that I have experience with. I'm just wondering if it would be okay in terms of a personal reference.

No, I haven't shadowed her, but I already have two letters from veterinarians that I have experience with. I'm just wondering if it would be okay in terms of a personal reference.
Letters should really come from someone you worked for, your PI, an instructor, advisor, etc. This would essentially be a letter from a friend that just happens to have recently graduated and now be a DVM. I'm betting if they weren't a vet, you wouldn't be considering using them. I would not submit a letter from them.

Reactions: 6 users
Ok I have a question. I studied Animal Science in undergrad at a school that had very hands-on labs. If the majority of my large animal experience comes from there (palpating cows, performing nerve blocks on horses, etc)-- can I list labs from my required coursework under the animal experiences section??

Ok I have a question. I studied Animal Science in undergrad at a school that had very hands-on labs. If the majority of my large animal experience comes from there (palpating cows, performing nerve blocks on horses, etc)-- can I list labs from my required coursework under the animal experiences section??
I would say you can, with the caveat that you state it was for a course. I could be wrong about this.

I used large independent projects I completed in labs for a class or two under research experience and never had issues with it.

Absolutely. I did as well. I would say around 400 of my animal experience hours came from classes and labs in undergrad. It’s experience where you were hands on with animals so it counts.

I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to list classes/labs under animal experience but it’s been a few years since I filled out VMCAS...

I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to list classes/labs under animal experience but it’s been a few years since I filled out VMCAS...
VMCAS doesn’t say that you can’t. And why wouldn’t you be able to? For example, one of the classes I listed for animal experience had me go out to farms to evaluate livestock for showing. We would get hands-on experience with cattle, goats, sheep, swine, and horses and judge them like you would at NESA. For my nutrition lab we would take care of and monitor the growth of different breeds of chickens. All of that definitely counted as animal experience since it was hands-on, the animals were alive, it wasn’t under the supervision of a veterinarian, and it wasn’t for research.