This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have question about the second VMCAS essay (In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?). I initially thought that admissions would want to hear more about what I hope to contribute and why since it might give more insight into who I am, but after reading around on the internet, I'm not quite sure anymore. Should I focus more on discussing all the ways that vets contribute to society or more on how I hope to contribute? Or should I address both equally? I appreciate your help!
My typical advice for that essay is, if you are going to bring up a contribution that veterinarians make, pair it with specifics about how you plan to embody that contribution. It is asking both questions to get at your knowledge and understanding of the field in addition to getting to know more about you that might not be obvious from other parts of your application.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
@EngrSC that's a bummer about OneHealth. My experience and goals are in line with OneHealth and I've introduced many non-veterinary, biomedical folks to OneHealth (read: "talked at many disinterested...folks about OneHealth" :oops:). Is just throwing out the buzzword without back-up the main issue, or should I likely focus on another contribution entirely? (I was debating between a few different directions for that essay)
I think you’re fine because your experience and goals are in line with One Health! I imagine she meant it more towards those that talk about One Health solely in that essay/ nowhere else in their experiences or essays.

Reactions: 1 user
Having some difficulty with transcript entry for planned courses :oops:. I don’t know what university I’ll be taking physics and org chem at this Winter, so I’m putting them with my undergraduate university for now. My understanding is admissions committees don’t care if your final transcript doesn’t match planned courses as long as you do all the prerequisites you said you would. I changed my status at my undergraduate university to “still attending” on the add institutions page, but the transcript entry page still won’t let me add a Winter 2021 semester. Does anyone know the fix for this, or should I suck it up and ask VMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having some difficulty with transcript entry for planned courses :oops:. I don’t know what university I’ll be taking physics and org chem at this Winter, so I’m putting them with my undergraduate university for now. My understanding is admissions committees don’t care if your final transcript doesn’t match planned courses as long as you do all the prerequisites you said you would. I changed my status at my undergraduate university to “still attending” on the add institutions page, but the transcript entry page still won’t let me add a Winter 2021 semester. Does anyone know the fix for this, or should I suck it up and ask VMCAS?
Did you change the semester end for your still attending? I think I vaguely remember that being my problem. I had it as the semester I actually stopped instead of the semester I was potentially going to take a class.

Did you change the semester end for your still attending? I think I vaguely remember that being my problem. I had it as the semester I actually stopped instead of the semester I was potentially going to take a class.
When I choose “still attending” the end semester disappears. When I try to change first the end semester, then choose “still attending”, then save, I get the error “You indicated that you are no longer attending this college. Please verify the start and end dates.“ :shrug:

• Sad
When I choose “still attending” the end semester disappears. When I try to change first the end semester, then choose “still attending”, then save, I get the error “You indicated that you are no longer attending this college. Please verify the start and end dates.“ :shrug:
Definitely email vmcas and see if they can help you out

Log out & back into VMCAS and try again - I had to do that for one of my courses to work! If that doesn't work, yes definitely either e-mail or use the live chat feature with VMCAS.

Log out & back into VMCAS and try again - I had to do that for one of my courses to work! If that doesn't work, yes definitely either e-mail or use the live chat feature with VMCAS.
VMCAS manually resolved it within a couple hours of emailing them. It's really awesome how responsive and helpful their service team is!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
VMCAS manually resolved it within a couple hours of emailing them. It's really awesome how responsive and helpful their service team is!
Great! Yeah, they really are super on top of things, I've always gotten excellent turnaround time on any requests from them!

How does grade replacement work with international schools that don't require you to apply through VMCAS? I haven't found any references to grade replacement on any UK or Irish vet school websites and the system is so different I presumed they just take whatever GPA VMCAS gives them (i.e. no grade replacement). But although all UK & Irish universities let you apply through VMCAS, not all of them require it (UCD for example). Presumably if you're not applying through VMCAS, you'll be uploading your home institution grade transcripts directly. Therefore, if your home institution does grade replacement, such universties might calculate your GPA differently depending on whether you apply through VMCAS or a separate system. This seems weird, is it true? I'll probably email the institutions directly to investigate but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

For second application year essays, is it best to rewrite essays altogether or just do some edits. None of my app feedbacks critiqued anything about my essays, if that makes a difference. Not sure how schools view this.

For second application year essays, is it best to rewrite essays altogether or just do some edits. None of my app feedbacks critiqued anything about my essays, if that makes a difference. Not sure how schools view this.
It's really up to you, if your essays are already strong and they didn't give you and critiques on them, you're fine to leave them as is unless there is anything you want to add.

Hi everyone!

Question on an experience, I just took a break from working at a clinic due to summer school and whatnot. The veterinarian (also my boss) and I talked before I left for my break about hoping to come back in the Fall and she said to let her know when the time comes. Since I don't have a definite date on returning just yet because I still need to work out my schedule with class and other activities, would this still be considered "current" or should I list down an "end date"? I was thinking to just put an end date and maybe mention something in the description, but wasn't sure if that's the way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated and good luck to all that are applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Question on an experience, I just took a break from working at a clinic due to summer school and whatnot. The veterinarian (also my boss) and I talked before I left for my break about hoping to come back in the Fall and she said to let her know when the time comes. Since I don't have a definite date on returning just yet because I still need to work out my schedule with class and other activities, would this still be considered "current" or should I list down an "end date"? I was thinking to just put an end date and maybe mention something in the description, but wasn't sure if that's the way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated and good luck to all that are applying!
I may be wrong but I’d consider it current, especially because you might well be back to it by the time the application deadline rolls around. If you’re worried and have the space you can make a note in the description but I don’t think it’s really necessary, since listing the number of weeks separately from the start/end date already lets you account for breaks.

Hi everyone!

If you are expecting to come back to the job, you should definitely list it as a current experience.

I may be wrong but I’d consider it current, especially because you might well be back to it by the time the application deadline rolls around. If you’re worried and have the space you can make a note in the description but I don’t think it’s really necessary, since listing the number of weeks separately from the start/end date already lets you account for breaks.
If you are expecting to come back to the job, you should definitely list it as a current experience.

Thanks for the replies!

I have a question regarding transcript entry and GPA calculations. Last summer I studied abroad and I'm trying to figure out if those grades will be included in my VMCAS gpas. The VMCAS says to include the classes with my home institution and identify them as study abroad, and although I received grades from my study abroad program, my home university transcript lists them as transfer credit. So should I put the grades that I received or mark them as transfer credit?

I have a question regarding transcript entry and GPA calculations. Last summer I studied abroad and I'm trying to figure out if those grades will be included in my VMCAS gpas. The VMCAS says to include the classes with my home institution and identify them as study abroad, and although I received grades from my study abroad program, my home university transcript lists them as transfer credit. So should I put the grades that I received or mark them as transfer credit?
Definitely contact the vmcas help desk if you haven’t

This may or may not be correct, but I listed them separately for the institution where I took them. I had the same issue that my undergrad only listed them as transfer credit, while I did actually receive grades for them. I did not receive any note to fix this or that this was incorrect, and they were all accepted & verified.

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this question has already been asked. This will be my third year applying and my biggest weakness is my GPA. I'm taking some classes to raise it up this fall, but I feel like vet schools won't want to wait around for my grades when they already have people with better GPA's. I have a massive amount of experience so I'm not as worried about that- I guess my question is, does anyone know of any schools that value experience more than GPA, or just schools that accept a lower GPA in general? I have a 3.4 currently and I'm hoping to get it up with the 16 credit hours I have planned in the fall. Anything helps! Thank you!

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this question has already been asked. This will be my third year applying and my biggest weakness is my GPA. I'm taking some classes to raise it up this fall, but I feel like vet schools won't want to wait around for my grades when they already have people with better GPA's. I have a massive amount of experience so I'm not as worried about that- I guess my question is, does anyone know of any schools that value experience more than GPA, or just schools that accept a lower GPA in general? I have a 3.4 currently and I'm hoping to get it up with the 16 credit hours I have planned in the fall. Anything helps! Thank you!
Is your last 45 credit GPA strong? If yes, Minnesota, K-State, and Iowa State (if your prereq GPA is strong based on how they calculate it). If you have some unique experiences then Michigan, Purdue, and LMU seem to look at applicants holistically based on my n=1 experience. Also have people read your essays (if you haven’t already) so you know they’re stronger than previous application cycles. And pick letter writers that you feel confident will write kicka$$ letters.

(Off topic but I love your profile picture.)

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a super pressing reason to not skip this application cycle and apply next year once you have a higher GPA? I only ask because this was something recommended to me when I was considering applying strategically - if you're less than 5 years out of undergrad, I would say to wait. If you're over 30 (like me!), that's another story. As someone who applied last year when I probably should have waited for this cycle, don't apply until you are putting forward your absolute BEST application!

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a super pressing reason to not skip this application cycle and apply next year once you have a higher GPA? I only ask because this was something recommended to me when I was considering applying strategically - if you're less than 5 years out of undergrad, I would say to wait. If you're over 30 (like me!), that's another story. As someone who applied last year when I probably should have waited for this cycle, don't apply until you are putting forward your absolute BEST application!

Wow, this may have actually changed my whole view, seriously. If I took a year off it would recharge me a bit and make me “excited” about applying again, if that makes sense?? These last 2 cycles have really fatigued me...

Wow, this may have actually changed my whole view, seriously. If I took a year off it would recharge me a bit and make me “excited” about applying again, if that makes sense?? These last 2 cycles have really fatigued me...
Vet school will still be there next year, I promise! Glad I could be helpful! There’s absolutely nothing stopping you from taking this year to work on some stellar grades that can count towards a much higher last-45 credit GPA, even if it doesn’t make much of a difference in your overall GPA. A number of schools, as outlined above, will weigh that quite heavily, and you can make a big difference with just a few classes. And if you’re feeling burnt out now, taking the pressure off for this year might be a blessing for your mental health!

Additionally, not for nothing, but applications are EXPENSIVE - putting your best foot forward will save you money in reapplication fees if you aren’t accepted the first time!

Vet school will still be there next year, I promise! Glad I could be helpful! There’s absolutely nothing stopping you from taking this year to work on some stellar grades that can count towards a much higher last-45 credit GPA, even if it doesn’t make much of a difference in your overall GPA. A number of schools, as outlined above, will weigh that quite heavily, and you can make a big difference with just a few classes. And if you’re feeling burnt out now, taking the pressure off for this year might be a blessing for your mental health!

Additionally, not for nothing, but applications are EXPENSIVE - putting your best foot forward will save you money in reapplication fees if you aren’t accepted the first time!

This helps me so much, thank you. I have a lot to consider! I just need to really think about it and make sure that the "what if" in the back of my mind doesn't make me regret not applying this cycle.

Hey guys, I'm new here but I've been lurking without an account for a while! :)

I have a couple questions about early VMCAS submission for verification. Like many of you, I'm planning on submitting my app by early August to ensure I have plenty of time for transcript verification before the deadline. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done by that time so I can prioritize. I know GRE scores can be received after submission (still not waiting that long), but can the eLORs be submitted any time prior to Sept 15, or do they have to be in by the time I submit my app?

Also, can I add additional programs after I submit my app and it gets verified? For instance, if I'm undecided on a couple of my schools, can I wait and write the supplementals and submit those separately after verification, or does the entire app have to be submitted at once?

Thanks!

I know GRE scores can be received after submission (still not waiting that long), but can the eLORs be submitted any time prior to Sept 15, or do they have to be in by the time I submit my app?
eLORs don’t have to be in by the time you submit your application. Your recommenders just have to make sure to complete it by Sept 15!

Also, can I add additional programs after I submit my app and it gets verified? For instance, if I'm undecided on a couple of my schools, can I wait and write the supplementals and submit those separately after verification, or does the entire app have to be submitted at once?

It only takes one app submission to get in line for the verification process! So, I would submit to at least one school one as soon as you have the general app and supplemental for that school done. You just won't be able to change any information on the general part of the app once submitted (i.e. general essays) but I believe you could still add things such as experiences.

Hi guys! Branching off of the most recent topic of discussion, I have some questions for clarification!
I totally was under the impression that EVERYTHING needs to be completed (including school specific applications) in order to submit the VMCAS. Is this not the case? Can I submit school supplemental applications as I complete them or should everything be done at once, such as submitting everything the day I submit the VMCAS? I hope that makes sense! I have been under the impression this whole time that everything needs to be submitted at once!

Hi guys! Branching off of the most recent topic of discussion, I have some questions for clarification!
I totally was under the impression that EVERYTHING needs to be completed (including school specific applications) in order to submit the VMCAS. Is this not the case? Can I submit school supplemental applications as I complete them or should everything be done at once, such as submitting everything the day I submit the VMCAS? I hope that makes sense! I have been under the impression this whole time that everything needs to be submitted at once!
You need the general vmcas app and ONE school supplemental complete to submit. That’ll get you in line for transcript verification and then you can submit other school supplemental apps through vmcas at a later date when you finish them. When I was applying, some schools didn’t really have much in their supplemental app so those ones would be good to submit first if you’re applying to any that basically have no VMCAS supplemental.

You need the general vmcas app and ONE school supplemental complete to submit. That’ll get you in line for transcript verification and then you can submit other school supplemental apps through vmcas at a later date when you finish them. When I was applying, some schools didn’t really have much in their supplemental app so those ones would be good to submit first if you’re applying to any that basically have no VMCAS supplemental.
AH! I see! and one thing I haven't understood completely is the transcript verification process. I have already submitted my official transcripts to VMCAS. Is this just comparing how I entered my coursework compared to the official transcripts? Also, do they allow you to edit this if there are errors?

AH! I see! and one thing I haven't understood completely is the transcript verification process. I have already submitted my official transcripts to VMCAS. Is this just comparing how I entered my coursework compared to the official transcripts? Also, do they allow you to edit this if there are errors?
Yep, they basically just compare things and make sure they’re entered properly and then calculate a whole SLEW of different GPAs. The individual schools don’t get copies of your actual transcripts so vmcas has to make sure they match up. If there are really minor things they’ll probably fix it themselves but major things will be kicked back to you to fix, which is why they recommend submitting a good while before the deadline just to be safe that you’ll have time to fix errors. If you entered everything exactly how it appears on your transcripts, you shouldn’t have a problem with verification.

Hi everyone! I am just FULL of questions the past two days! lol but I was curious at what point, during the vet school app timeline, it is suggested to submit the FAFSA application?

Hi everyone! I am just FULL of questions the past two days! lol but I was curious at what point, during the vet school app timeline, it is suggested to submit the FAFSA application?
Not until February/March

Hello! I have a quick question if anyone could help. If I had a paper published, should I put that under honors in the achievements section? There's not really a specific spot for me to put that info. Thanks!

Any opinions on using rejection from schools as a topic for essays dealing with overcoming challenges or hardships? I applied last year and did not get in anywhere and am reapplying and was going to use this as something I overcame, but not sure how it will look to reviewers.

Hello! I have a quick question if anyone could help. If I had a paper published, should I put that under honors in the achievements section? There's not really a specific spot for me to put that info. Thanks!

I believe that's where I listed my published paper. I think I've head of other putting it in other places, but I honestly don't feel like it matters too much so long as its listed somewhere that makes a modicum of sense :)

Any opinions on using rejection from schools as a topic for essays dealing with overcoming challenges or hardships?

Do you not have another situation you could discuss? While I acknowledge that vet school rejection is difficult (I went through 3 cycles), i know i personally did not really grow as a person or improve myself beyond my application from needing to reapply. If you feel you can write a compelling essay about how needing to reapply helped you improve yourself or changed your world view, go for it. Just keep in mind that you'll need to answer the entire essay prompt using your chosen theme.

Reactions: 5 users
Any opinions on using rejection from schools as a topic for essays dealing with overcoming challenges or hardships? I applied last year and did not get in anywhere and am reapplying and was going to use this as something I overcame, but not sure how it will look to reviewers.
I wouldn't go this route - it may read as "this is the first time i've ever experience real rejection", no matter how well you write it. I agree with batsenecal, I feel like there are much better things to write this about. Write about a difficult class or job, or experiencing loss. Remember, the important part is how you OVERCAME it or learned from it, not the hardship itself. The rest of your essays are going to be very vet-med specific, make this one where you branch out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
So I understand we have to send in our official transcripts from our undergrad colleges. Where do you submit those in VMCAS? I already entered my transcript - completed and planned classes - by hand, so I don't know where I submit one from my college.

I've got one of those pesky animal experience vs veterinary experience questions... I volunteer at a monthly vaccine clinic which is "technically" under the supervision of a vet, even though that vet is rarely on the premises at the time of the clinic. Basically I guess the vet just stops by to make sure things are in order and checks in with the coordinators periodically. But legally it is supervised by that vet, which is why we are allowed to give rabies vaccines. Which category would you guys put this in?

I've got one of those pesky animal experience vs veterinary experience questions... I volunteer at a monthly vaccine clinic which is "technically" under the supervision of a vet, even though that vet is rarely on the premises at the time of the clinic. Basically I guess the vet just stops by to make sure things are in order and checks in with the coordinators periodically. But legally it is supervised by that vet, which is why we are allowed to give rabies vaccines. Which category would you guys put this in?
Are you helping actually give vaccines and such or restraining animals? Or are you doing just paperwork/checking people in?
If you’re helping give vaccines/restrain I’d call it vet experience.

Once we submit our application can you still add in experience after ?

Once we submit our application can you still add in experience after ?
You can, but not indefinitely. I added a new job after VMCAS closed in September, but when I checked back later that option had been taken down.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with AP credit that’s not listed on your official transcript? I took AP calc and got credit for it but it’s not listed as a class. For any ap classes, my transcript just says test credits: 19 credits.
I can’t enter it into VMCAs because it doesn’t appear on my transcript, and I’m not sure what to do since I need math as a prerequisite for most schools.

Does anyone have experience with AP credit that’s not listed on your official transcript? I took AP calc and got credit for it but it’s not listed as a class. For any ap classes, my transcript just says test credits: 19 credits.
I can’t enter it into VMCAs because it doesn’t appear on my transcript, and I’m not sure what to do since I need math as a prerequisite for most schools.
Contact vmcas and see what they want you to do. If it’s not listed as a specific class on your transcript it’s going to be harder.

I have noticed at a few schools (MissState and LSU on my app) have extended the amount of characters available for their supplemental questions, just FYI for anyone who has had their app completed and was revising essays like me!