This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fun fact that I wish I had known the first time I applied:

Michigan State prefers sentences--a short narrative that explains what you learned and how you grew as a professional from the experience

Obviously not everyone is going to cater their application to MSU, but if it's your top choice please keep that in mind!

happy to help anyone put these together! pm me if you need help!
Just wanted to give my insight when I was applying to Michigan State. I did not know this at all and had already submitted my application, using only bullet points when listing my tasks. I surely thought my application was gonna get tossed out since I did not give any sort of explanations or reasoning. However, I actually have been accepted and will be attending in the fall! So it's not the end of the world if you don't happen to go in depth like that, and I also have a below average GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to give my insight when I was applying to Michigan State. I did not know this at all and had already submitted my application, using only bullet points when listing my tasks. I surely thought my application was gonna get tossed out since I did not give any sort of explanations or reasoning. However, I actually have been accepted and will be attending in the fall! So it's not the end of the world if you don't happen to go in depth like that, and I also have a below average GPA.

It's surely not an end all be all of your application. I was just giving a tip :)

I will be there as well, looking forward to meeting you ;)

• Love
So last cycle I had a fantastic recommendation letter from a professor I took biology and parasitology with, as well as being one of his teaching assistants for multiple semesters. I was going to ask him to re-use the same letter for me for this cycle, but he sadly passed away before he could upload it. Would VMCAS make any kind of exception, such as re-importing the letter from last cycle into my application, therefore still "waving the rights to the letter"?

Members don't see this ad :)
So last cycle I had a fantastic recommendation letter from a professor I took biology and parasitology with, as well as being one of his teaching assistants for multiple semesters. I was going to ask him to re-use the same letter for me for this cycle, but he sadly passed away before he could upload it. Would VMCAS make any kind of exception, such as re-importing the letter from last cycle into my application, therefore still "waving the rights to the letter"?
This is such a unique situation, I don't think any of us here could say. I would contact VMCAS if I were you and ask them about it. And I'm sorry for the loss of your professor :(

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I’m applying for the first time, and wanted to know how everyone has logged their experience hours. Is it better to do one entry for each activity, procedure, examination done, or one entry for each vet you shadowed and wrote what you experienced in the description section? Thank you!!

If you’re talking about putting things into VMCAS, I’m entering mine by practice, like

Clinic A
xxx hours
Did x, y, and z. Saw this cool procedure.

Clinic B
xxx hours
Did x, y, and z. Developed this skill.

etc. For working with multiple vets at the same practice, I’m just lumping them all under the one practice in VMCAS. If you’re talking about recording hours in a personal log, I keep mine in an excel spreadsheet where I have a separate slot for different practices and record the date, number of hours, and any particularly cool things I saw or did.

Yes that’s exactly what I was wondering, thank you so much!! And good luck!

I had a little notebook in my pocket so I could write down cases and such and to keep a running tally of hours.

If you’re talking about putting things into VMCAS, I’m entering mine by practice, like

Clinic A
xxx hours
Did x, y, and z. Saw this cool procedure.

Clinic B
xxx hours
Did x, y, and z. Developed this skill.

etc. For working with multiple vets at the same practice, I’m just lumping them all under the one practice in VMCAS. If you’re talking about recording hours in a personal log, I keep mine in an excel spreadsheet where I have a separate slot for different practices and record the date, number of hours, and any particularly cool things I saw or did.
Going off of this, what about any animal experience during animal science courses? I had multiple courses where we would go out to the university ranch and interact with the animals. Would I just put all the courses in one entry and describe what we did, or do an entry for each course?

Ok so I am super nervous about what to put in my extracurricular on VMCAS. I was captain of my volleyball team for 3 years, but this was in 2009-12. I joined the army after graduation. Does this serve any significance? And im not sure if im overlooking something, but is there a section to talk about hobbies, the way TAMDAS does? Where is the personal essay everyone keeps mentioning?

Ok so I am super nervous about what to put in my extracurricular on VMCAS. I was captain of my volleyball team for 3 years, but this was in 2009-12. I joined the army after graduation. Does this serve any significance? And im not sure if im overlooking something, but is there a section to talk about hobbies, the way TAMDAS does? Where is the personal essay everyone keeps mentioning?
Do you hike? kayak? run marathons? Those would all count. Just enter it(hobbies) as extracurricular activity. Not sure what personal essay you're talking about since there are many essays in VMCAS and supplementals...

Reactions: 1 users
Do you hike? kayak? run marathons? Those would all count. Just enter it(hobbies) as extracurricular activity. Not sure what personal essay you're talking about since there are many essays in VMCAS and supplementals...
So hobbies can count as extracurriculars? Do you think putting in that captain role in a sports team 10 years ago would be beneficial?

So hobbies can count as extracurriculars? Do you think putting in that captain role in a sports team 10 years ago would be beneficial?
It's been 3 years since I applied and that's how I listed mine iirc, but paging someone who applied more recently @EngrSC so I don't give you wrong info. Or anyone who applied more recently please feel free to chime in.
When I applied VMCAS said to go back 10 years so I did. As a general rule if schools don't care about it then they'll disregard it. IMO it's better to include all the things than not include it-who knows maybe that one thing is the difference between you and someone else getting a spot.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been 3 years since I applied and that's how I listed mine iirc, but paging someone who applied more recently @EngrSC so I don't give you wrong info. Or anyone who applied more recently please feel free to chime in.
When I applied VMCAS said to go back 10 years so I did. As a general rule if schools don't care about it then they'll disregard it. IMO it's better to include all the things than not include it-who knows maybe that one thing is the difference between you and someone else getting a spot.
@Lisaortiz List all the things! School will ignore it if they don’t care. I love running and have run a bunch of half marathons and a few full marathons, which I personally chose not to list in VMCAS. BUT I did co-found a running club at my place of employment (which included managing a yearly budget) so I included that as one of my experiences in my VMCAS. I feel like it’s mostly a judgement call but since you held an official “position” of sorts and competed, I would definitely include it even though it was 10 years ago.

Going off of this, what about any animal experience during animal science courses? I had multiple courses where we would go out to the university ranch and interact with the animals. Would I just put all the courses in one entry and describe what we did, or do an entry for each course?
I would lump them all into one. Keep in mind though, some schools don't count coursework towards your animal experience hours.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Hello! I'm applying for the first time this cycle. Speaking of logging experience hours, how would you put multiple extracurricular activities that fall under 1 category? For example, I did pit orchestra, jazz band, choir, and taught piano. Should I lump them all into 1 or separate each of them out?

Hello! I'm applying for the first time this cycle. Speaking of logging experience hours, how would you put multiple extracurricular activities that fall under 1 category? For example, I did pit orchestra, jazz band, choir, and taught piano. Should I lump them all into 1 or separate each of them out?

I would separate those cause they're still separate experiences.

I dont have a question but I do have a rant :lol: I was considering applying to Illinois, but I just looked at their supplemental essays and what kind of a question is this????? I don't even know where I would start with this one, and I would actually consider myself pretty politically engaged! Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't apply there hahaha

"COVID-19 has resulted in varying responses from the federal and state governments, the health community, the media, and the public. Using an evidence-based approach, discuss the initial restrictive decisions of policy-makers, and the subsequent resistance by many state governments and members of the public to continuing COVID-19 restrictions." (we get 9999 characters to respond btw)

I dont have a question but I do have a rant :lol: I was considering applying to Illinois, but I just looked at their supplemental essays and what kind of a question is this????? I don't even know where I would start with this one, and I would actually consider myself pretty politically engaged! Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't apply there hahaha

"COVID-19 has resulted in varying responses from the federal and state governments, the health community, the media, and the public. Using an evidence-based approach, discuss the initial restrictive decisions of policy-makers, and the subsequent resistance by many state governments and members of the public to continuing COVID-19 restrictions." (we get 9999 characters to respond btw)

Huh, that's a really interesting essay topic. I'm guessing they got rid of the "working dog / opioid crisis" one, then?

Huh, that's a really interesting essay topic. I'm guessing they got rid of the "working dog / opioid crisis" one, then?

Yeah its just this question and a question about when/how we decided to become veterinarians as adults as opposed to like a childhood dream/goal. I agree its an interesting topic, but I am so lost on what a good answer to this would be! I feel like I would spend the entire essay bashing a certain orange man in charge haha

They just want to see if you can write a paper that requires research and citations basically. It’s a different topic every year.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users

The essay is different every year. When I was applying, mine was about PRRSV. If COVID wasnt happening, I would've bet my out of state tuition this essay would've been about African swine fever.

They just want to see if you can write a paper that requires research and citations basically. It’s a different topic every year.
Sorry I didn't realize they did this every year! I just started looking at my supplementals and all of them seemed pretty mundane and generic like "tell me about a challenge you've faced" and "why are you interested in our vet school specifically" until I saw this one haha. I was kinda like what the heck this is so different and specific! I didn't know they do this every cycle though- it makes more sense that its not something they randomly added because of covid-19 haha

Sorry I didn't realize they did this every year! I just started looking at my supplementals and all of them seemed pretty mundane and generic like "tell me about a challenge you've faced" and "why are you interested in our vet school specifically" until I saw this one haha. I was kinda like what the heck this is so different and specific! I didn't know they do this every cycle though- it makes more sense that its not something they randomly added because of covid-19 haha
Nope! Definitely not just added because of COVID! For 2021 it was about Zika because that’s what was happening in the world that summer. 2022 it was about working dogs(my favorite essay I’ve ever written. Ever.), I think 2023 or 24 was about the opioid crisis. It’s basically just to get you thinking and show you can write something knowledgeable. They don’t really care so much what your stance is as long as you have one and you’ve clearly done research to back up your position and wrote it decently well. They give you so many characters so you can do citations and not worry about word counts, but mine definitely were nowhere near that limit.

I think 2023 or 24 was about the opioid crisis. It’s basically just to get you thinking and show you can write something knowledgeable. They don’t really care so much what your stance is as long as you have one and you’ve clearly done research to back up your position and wrote it decently well. They give you so many characters so you can do citations and not worry about word counts, but mine definitely were nowhere near that limit.
For 2024's supplemental, it was about how the opioid crisis is impacting working dogs.
"The human opioid crisis is leading to inadvertent exposure of working dogs to opioids as they perform their police functions. Discuss the issues of working dogs, especially their exposure to opioids in their work environment, and the role of veterinarians in providing emergent and more routine health care to working dogs."

@Dana_May_B Even if you don't have this prompt this year, it's still a really interesting topic to look into!

• Wow
For 2024's supplemental, it was about how the opioid crisis is impacting working dogs.
"The human opioid crisis is leading to inadvertent exposure of working dogs to opioids as they perform their police functions. Discuss the issues of working dogs, especially their exposure to opioids in their work environment, and the role of veterinarians in providing emergent and more routine health care to working dogs."

@Dana_May_B Even if you don't have this prompt this year, it's still a really interesting topic to look into!
Yeah 22’s was also about working dogs but the prompt was just about dogs and their vet care needs vs opioids and working dogs. It was my favorite essay to write, probably ever.
“Working dogs team up with police officers, firefighters, medics, search and rescue teams, military dog handlers and other canine handlers with special training to provide valuable service. Discuss the veterinary care these patients need and how they are different from the typical canine pet. What is the role of the veterinarian in providing training to the owners/handlers to provide care for these important animals?”

This is actually one thing I love about Illinois - I love writing & research and already had a microbiology assignment about this. I feel like it’s respectful of us as intelligent future doctors, and very out-of-the-box. I loved my working dogs/opioid crisis one from last year!

Hey I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post a question like this in, so please let me know if this doesn't belong, but I wanted to ask if anyone knew how the vet schools would like us to word our description/key responsibilities for our experiences (vet and otherwise). I've heard some people say that you just need to list out the things you did, and others say I need to show what I learned and basically tell the "story" of my experience. I wrote out two different descriptions based on the info I've gotten, which of these would be a better description?

1: I worked alongside the veterinarians and vet techs, helping to handle animals during exams, and helping to manage all of the animals staying in the hospital for treatment by administering medications, feeding meals, and walking all of the dogs. I was also in charge of the general upkeep for the hospital, and on top of locking up the clinic every weeknight, I cleaned each room every day, restocking supplies such as medications and needles. In the surgery room, I cleaned all of the surgical instruments, memorized the components for all of the surgical packs, and was trained to use an autoclave.

2: On my first day at this small, close-knit vet hospital, Dr. ________ said I would be a “jack of all trades;” on top of having a list of set responsibilities, I would frequently be asked to help out wherever needed. From making surgery packs and restraining patients during exams to cleaning and helping with emergencies, no two shifts were the same. I had very challenging days carrying euthanized animals out of the hospital and very rewarding days returning recovered animals to their owners, but every night as I locked up the clinic, I felt exhausted and extremely proud of the work I had done.

Hey I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post a question like this in, so please let me know if this doesn't belong, but I wanted to ask if anyone knew how the vet schools would like us to word our description/key responsibilities for our experiences (vet and otherwise). I've heard some people say that you just need to list out the things you did, and others say I need to show what I learned and basically tell the "story" of my experience. I wrote out two different descriptions based on the info I've gotten, which of these would be a better description?

1: I worked alongside the veterinarians and vet techs, helping to handle animals during exams, and helping to manage all of the animals staying in the hospital for treatment by administering medications, feeding meals, and walking all of the dogs. I was also in charge of the general upkeep for the hospital, and on top of locking up the clinic every weeknight, I cleaned each room every day, restocking supplies such as medications and needles. In the surgery room, I cleaned all of the surgical instruments, memorized the components for all of the surgical packs, and was trained to use an autoclave.

2: On my first day at this small, close-knit vet hospital, Dr. ________ said I would be a “jack of all trades;” on top of having a list of set responsibilities, I would frequently be asked to help out wherever needed. From making surgery packs and restraining patients during exams to cleaning and helping with emergencies, no two shifts were the same. I had very challenging days carrying euthanized animals out of the hospital and very rewarding days returning recovered animals to their owners, but every night as I locked up the clinic, I felt exhausted and extremely proud of the work I had done.
I was told it should follow your #1 rather than it being a narrative.

I wouldn’t do the second. I think by “show what you learned” they mean things like “from this experience I learned about how to deal with difficult clients and time management” and such

I wouldn’t do the second. I think by “show what you learned” they mean things like “from this experience I learned about how to deal with difficult clients and time management” and such

Ok gotcha. So should I change number 2 to become less of a narrative and be more specific about what I learned, or should I just submit number 1?

Ok gotcha. So should I change number 2 to become less of a narrative and be more specific about what I learned, or should I just submit number 1?
Think of the experience descriptions like what you would put in a resume/CV. That's why it's kind of up to you whether you want to use bullet points or full sentences. You're basically just listing your responsibilities/what you did during that experience. So I would just submit #1.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know any resources to get help/ feedback with essays for different schools? I'm applying to several schools that require at least 2-6 essays each and could really use some help with ideas/corrections/etc. Thank you!

Does anyone know any resources to get help/ feedback with essays for different schools? I'm applying to several schools that require at least 2-6 essays each and could really use some help with ideas/corrections/etc. Thank you!
We actually have a whole thread for that! There’s a bunch of people who’ve signed up to read and edit.

We actually have a whole thread for that! There’s a bunch of people who’ve signed up to read and edit.

Thanks so much!

Does it look bad to have several eLORS from vets/staff of the same clinic?

Does it look bad to have several eLORS from vets/staff of the same clinic?
It's not that it looks bad necessarily, it's just not going to be as beneficial as having letters from people who can talk about different things. So if you can get great letters from vets at different experiences that will look better. However, don't ask someone from another clinic to write you a letter just so you meet that metric, because a mediocre letter is going to be worse than having multiple from the same clinic.

It's not that it looks bad necessarily, it's just not going to be as beneficial as having letters from people who can talk about different things. So if you can get great letters from vets at different experiences that will look better. However, don't ask someone from another clinic to write you a letter just so you meet that metric, because a mediocre letter is going to be worse than having multiple from the same clinic.
Agreed, ONLY ask if they can write a really stellar letter about different aspects, not all about the same thing. And this should probably be obvious (but for some reason I was pressured into it myself), but don’t ask multiple vets at the same practice because you feel bad only asking one or two. This is YOUR application, and you don’t owe it to anyone else.

Does anyone have experience with entering in study abroad credits? I did a study abroad program sponsored by my university where I took one class that was taught by my university's professors and another class that was taught by the foreign university's professors. The first class I entered as regular coursework that I figure I'll mark as "study abroad" when I'm finalizing transcripts, but I'm confused about what to do about the second class.

This is off of VMCAS's help center. I know that the first one doesn't apply since it wasn't at an overseas US institution, but I'm stuck on which one it would more likely be? I'm leaning towards the third option, but the issue is on my official transcript, it records my regular course as a regular summer course (albeit study abroad) but the other one is listed under "Transfer Credit from xxx University" and just lists the hours received, not any course name. However, I did study abroad via one of the companies they listed, so I'm feeeeeling the third option and not reporting the foreign school as another institution? Idk, if anyone has any advice or remembers how they entered theirs, that would be great- will probably throw an email at VMCAS too just for completeness's sake but the last time I asked them a really complicated question they didn't really understand what I was asking, so hopefully I can crowdsource enough advice to piece things together.
If anyone in the future is looking for the answer, I emailed VMCAS and was told to keep it with my original institution. Went through the live chat experience today and the guy told me to enter the course as code "NA", name "Study Abroad", and grade "CR", since the second course is literally listed on my transcript without a code or name or anything. We'll see if this works come transcript verification time but it seems solid for now!

Hi all, sorry if this question is an obvious one. In the letters of rec section, it says first and last name but no spot for title. For the DVMs, should I put first name "Dr. John" and last name "Doe, DVM", or should it just be first name "john" last name "doe"?

Hi all, sorry if this question is an obvious one. In the letters of rec section, it says first and last name but no spot for title. For the DVMs, should I put first name "Dr. John" and last name "Doe, DVM", or should it just be first name "john" last name "doe"?
I'm not sure if when I was filling the eLORs' section it asked for a title but I do believe that the recommender does fill out information about themselves such as identifying information and contact information when submitting their eLOR. It is possible that it is the recommender that adds this information such as title but it would not hurt to add "Dr" or "DVM" to their name.

I would just do their first and last name

Has anyone ever used a co-worker (another vet tech) as a reference?
As for as I know, your evaluators need to be someone who has directly supervised you (professors, employers, doctors, supervisors, etc) and personal letters of references are not valid.

As for as I know, your evaluators need to be someone who has directly supervised you (professors, employers, doctors, supervisors, etc) and personal letters of references are not valid.
I should have been a little clearer! What if the vet tech is above you (like a shift supervisor), many years in the vet field etc.

I should have been a little clearer! What if the vet tech is above you (like a shift supervisor), many years in the vet field etc.
Oh! Yea if this person was your supervisor, seems like this person would be a valid evaluator. However I can't speak for schools and don't want to give any wrong information that could hurt your application so if in doubt, I'd shoot the schools you are interested in an email asking if it would be considered a valid letter of reference. Good luck :)

Is anyone reapplying for the second time? Are you reusing some of your same answers from the last application or have you changed them entirely?

Is anyone reapplying for the second time? Are you reusing some of your same answers from the last application or have you changed them entirely?
Definitely see if you can get file reviews if you haven’t. If the school’s day your essays are fine, reuse them if you want (or rework them if you have a better topic) but if they didn’t like your essays, obviously change them for your best chance at acceptance.