This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, came here looking for support and hope. First time applicant. Only applied to WSU (probably foolish, in hindsight). I am currently on the in-state waitlist. Was told that I am in the top-third of the waitlist, but I was also told by an advisor that people don't hear back until June, if not later. My life is in limbo for several months. Anyone else on the WSU waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, came here looking for support and hope. First time applicant. Only applied to WSU (probably foolish, in hindsight). I am currently on the in-state waitlist. Was told that I am in the top-third of the waitlist, but I was also told by an advisor that people don't hear back until June, if not later. My life is in limbo for several months. Anyone else on the WSU waitlist?
Hey WSU here but was OOS accepted last year. I can tell you as far as waitlists they do start pulling people off after the April 15th deadline so it does move before June-how much though I don't know. If you haven't done a file review with Dr. Talcott I would do that. Best of luck!

I am also on the in-state waitlist for WSU! How did you find out you were in the top third? During my application review I was told they don't tell people their rank so I am not sure where I am on the waitlist. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the out of state waitlist but how did you hear what part of the waitlist you were on? I had a file review and she wouldn't give out my ranking so I guess I can only assume I'm not near the top :(

Hey, WSU in state waitlist. I was told that I was “in a really good position on the waitlist.” I really don’t know how fast the waitlist moves but was told very little if at all by some applicants.
Dr Talcott told me that movement does happen and that it IS possible. May not hear back until June though.

How long is it reasonable to remain on a waitlist while accepted to another school? Tufts is my first choice, but April 15th is fast approaching and I have a seat at Penn. At some point I need to buy plane tickets, sign a lease, etc... I’m not going to be in a position to wait until the first week of class.

I’ll be turning down my OOS place at Tufts to attend CSU so you’ll move at least one spot!

I’ll be turning down my OOS place at Tufts to attend CSU so you’ll move at least one spot!

Thanks! I was offered a scholarship at Penn, so I will likely be taking myself off the waitlist this week. I told Tufts that I have a deadline of April 15, and they told me that they will have a better idea of what the waitlist will look like on April 11. More than likely, however, I’ll be accepting that scholarship.

I am also on the in-state waitlist for WSU! How did you find out you were in the top third? During my application review I was told they don't tell people their rank so I am not sure where I am on the waitlist. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us! :)
I had my file review on March 25th (Monday after getting back from spring break). She started off by saying that she wasn't able to disclose where I am at, but said I'm in a good position. She said I am in the top third. Throughout the conversation she said she doesn't want to get people's hopes up, but to apply as usual and not submit until August. She said make sure my contact information is current. She said it's the most competitive cycle she's seen in twenty years. I asked about last year's in state wait list and she said she doesn't seem to have a record of anyone getting pulled off in state, but it varies from year to year. Our WSU pre-vet advisor said the wait list is organized in pools and she estimates there are about 30 people on the in-state wait list. She said the selection committee reconvenes in the week after April 15th and discusses who will be offered a spot.

Hey, WSU in state waitlist. I was told that I was “in a really good position on the waitlist.” I really don’t know how fast the waitlist moves but was told very little if at all by some applicants.
Dr Talcott told me that movement does happen and that it IS possible. May not hear back until June though.
As of my file review, she had not heard back from about 33 admission offers (not sure in state or out of state). So there may be hope this year.

I’m #1 on the Davis waitlist currently. Anyone have eyes on this thread, who plans to decline an admissions offer from Davis?!

Reactions: 2 users
Less than a week before most schools start calling people off waitlists! Everyone keep your heads up!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m #1 on the Davis waitlist currently. Anyone have eyes on this thread, who plans to decline an admissions offer from Davis?!
Seriously received an offer the second after I posted this!

Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the Ohio State waitlist works? I am #1 on the OOS list and lots of people are getting updates from other schools about how the waitlist has moved but I have received nothing from Ohio so I am getting anxious!

Does anyone know how the Ohio State waitlist works? I am #1 on the OOS list and lots of people are getting updates from other schools about how the waitlist has moved but I have received nothing from Ohio so I am getting anxious!
I'm not sure how it works, but I'm guessing if you're #1 on the list and they haven't called it's because they're waiting until after April 15...

Waitlisted at Tufts, Tennessee, Auburn, and U of Illinois.
What are my chances people!?!

U of I is my in state and none of these waitlists give me a rank
Hmmm. I don't know much about U of Illinois. Tufts waitlist tends to move quite a bit I believe though, since they accept more OOS than IS. Im sorry none of them are ranked that's such a pain D:

So close, yet so far! I'm going nuts!!! If you guys don't get off the waitlist, what are your plans? Job? Classes? Masters? Maybe switching to becoming an underwater basket weaver?

So close, yet so far! I'm going nuts!!! If you guys don't get off the waitlist, what are your plans? Job? Classes? Masters? Maybe switching to becoming an underwater basket weaver?
I knoww!!! The stress is too much! If I don't get called I'm thinking about getting a job working as an assistant with large animals (area that I least have experience with) and do some research. I finish my bachelor's this semester so I would definitely take a break from studying if I don't get called.

I’m constantly checking my email just in case haha! If I don’t get in I’m going to do my masters in animal welfare and take more classes to get my prereqs to apply to OVC, how about you? Maybe I should consider basketweaving though... where are you a waitlist at ?

I'm an alternate at Western! I've seen and heard about a lot of people declining their acceptances or alternate positions, but I'm still really anxious because they interviewed almost 500 people and almost no one is rejected after interview. So... could be that ~200 were accepted and ~300 were put as alternates for a class of 105. Meaning I need a looootta people to decline their spots to have a shot haha. Can you tell I'm at my wits' end? I just had a file review and they suggested I retake organic chemistry since the "red flag" in my app was my pre-req GPA. And I'm guessing my pre-req GPA was terrible everywhere since everyone requires gen chem and organic chemistry (my worst classes by far). I'll retake it if I have to, but man, it sounds like offering myself up to be eaten by an angry bear or something. Also planning on doing my masters or a graduate certificate in Veterinary Forensic Science and getting a job at a clinic or something. Sorry I'm rambling - I don't really have many people to talk to about this (so SDN is super exciting haha!).

I'm an alternate at Western! I've seen and heard about a lot of people declining their acceptances or alternate positions, but I'm still really anxious because they interviewed almost 500 people and almost no one is rejected after interview. So... could be that ~200 were accepted and ~300 were put as alternates for a class of 105. Meaning I need a looootta people to decline their spots to have a shot haha. Can you tell I'm at my wits' end? I just had a file review and they suggested I retake organic chemistry since the "red flag" in my app was my pre-req GPA. And I'm guessing my pre-req GPA was terrible everywhere since everyone requires gen chem and organic chemistry (my worst classes by far). I'll retake it if I have to, but man, it sounds like offering myself up to be eaten by an angry bear or something. Also planning on doing my masters or a graduate certificate in Veterinary Forensic Science and getting a job at a clinic or something. Sorry I'm rambling - I don't really have many people to talk to about this (so SDN is super exciting haha!).

You did a file review with western already?

You did a file review with western already?

No, sorry - it was with Oregon State. Western won't allow interviewed applicants to do a file review since everyone interviewed is technically qualified to enter the class. I actually don't know if they'll do a file review with rejected applicants either? Anyway, I've been asking for file reviews from every school I was rejected from in case I have to reapply this cycle.

I truly understand the whole GPA thing...mine wasn't bad but it wasn't outstanding either. I really want to do a file review but all the universities told me that it has to be after the 15th. I would try and repeat one or two classes to show them that you're willing to keep trying.

Btw the whole certificate sounds super interesting!

No, sorry - it was with Oregon State. Western won't allow interviewed applicants to do a file review since everyone interviewed is technically qualified to enter the class. I actually don't know if they'll do a file review with rejected applicants either? Anyway, I've been asking for file reviews from every school I was rejected from in case I have to reapply this cycle.
To my knowledge/what others have told me, Western doesn’t focus on your academics once you have an interview. Which made me a little more upset that I got waitlisted since I’ve always prided myself in being good at interviewing and talking to people. But I did decline my alternate spot at Western, and I believe they pull off people with similar demographics to those who declined their seat. I don’t know how deep they go for those demographics. Like if it’s same gender, geographical region, etc. Height, weight, hair color, hair length lol.

I truly understand the whole GPA thing...mine wasn't bad but it wasn't outstanding either. I really want to do a file review but all the universities told me that it has to be after the 15th. I would try and repeat one or two classes to show them that you're willing to keep trying.

Btw the whole certificate sounds super interesting!

Yeah you're so right - I just have to bite the bullet and do it! But oooh the paaaain! And - correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you're in a great position for Mississippi, right? Like, top 10 on the OOS waitlist? That's really really fantastic! I'm excited for you to get that call!

Also yes! I think that even if I get pulled off the waitlist, I'll try to take the Veterinary Forensics courses at UF for my own personal interest. I'm really interested in working at shelters or with the ASPCA in cruelty cases - that's what got me into veterinary medicine in the first place. But the emotional fatigue is so real in that department. We'll see what happens! Just need to get in first haha.

Yeah you're so right - I just have to bite the bullet and do it! But oooh the paaaain! And - correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you're in a great position for Mississippi, right? Like, top 10 on the OOS waitlist? That's really really fantastic! I'm excited for you to get that call!

Also yes! I think that even if I get pulled off the waitlist, I'll try to take the Veterinary Forensics courses at UF for my own personal interest. I'm really interested in working at shelters or with the ASPCA in cruelty cases - that's what got me into veterinary medicine in the first place. But the emotional fatigue is so real in that department. We'll see what happens! Just need to get in first haha.
Yes. Mississippi #9! Everyone keeps telling me it's a great spot but to be honest I still feel so anxious about it yo the point of thinking this year somethingis going to happen and they won't call. Most days I can't even believe I got there! But I really appreciate the positive energy everyonehas here at SDN!

That sounds really cool. One of the vets I have worked with previously was the head vet at a local shelter and that's one of the things she least liked...the emotional burden. However, if it's what you truly like then I definitely think you should give it a try!

To my knowledge/what others have told me, Western doesn’t focus on your academics once you have an interview. Which made me a little more upset that I got waitlisted since I’ve always prided myself in being good at interviewing and talking to people. But I did decline my alternate spot at Western, and I believe they pull off people with similar demographics to those who declined their seat. I don’t know how deep they go for those demographics. Like if it’s same gender, geographical region, etc. Height, weight, hair color, hair length lol.

I have one dimple on my left cheek and a few freckles that seem to increase in number every time I look in the mirror!

On a serious note - I've also heard that they don't focus much on your academics after interview, but I think that another point to be made is that they're looking at your interview AND your diversity of self and experience. So I wouldn't take it as a direct reflection of your interview skills! For instance, I'm a female interested in small animals, which describes a billion other people. Oh well, can't do much about that :)

I have one dimple on my left cheek and a few freckles that seem to increase in number every time I look in the mirror!

On a serious note - I've also heard that they don't focus much on your academics after interview, but I think that another point to be made is that they're looking at your interview AND your diversity of self and experience. So I wouldn't take it as a direct reflection of your interview skills! For instance, I'm a female interested in small animals, which describes a billion other people. Oh well, can't do much about that :)
Yep! Diversity in experience is something they search for...at my interview in Mississippi it was one of the things they asked about. To explain why I didn't have much experience with large animals.

Yes. Mississippi #9! Everyone keeps telling me it's a great spot but to be honest I still feel so anxious about it yo the point of thinking this year somethingis going to happen and they won't call. Most days I can't even believe I got there! But I really appreciate the positive energy everyonehas here at SDN!

That sounds really cool. One of the vets I have worked with previously was the head vet at a local shelter and that's one of the things she least liked...the emotional burden. However, if it's what you truly like then I definitely think you should give it a try!

I can understand that! Sometimes I get annoyed when people are like "Oh, you're for sure going to get pulled from the waitlist, don't even worry about it!" (especially people who aren't vet or pre-vet) because uh, no, it's not for sure. But I know that it comes from a really kind place in their hearts, so I try to just roll with it. So I hope I didn't rub you the wrong way when I said what I said - I am definitely rooting for you!

Yeah, the burn out is real! What are you planning on doing with your DVM, if you know already?

I can understand that! Sometimes I get annoyed when people are like "Oh, you're for sure going to get pulled from the waitlist, don't even worry about it!" (especially people who aren't vet or pre-vet) because uh, no, it's not for sure. But I know that it comes from a really kind place in their hearts, so I try to just roll with it. So I hope I didn't rub you the wrong way when I said what I said - I am definitely rooting for you!

Yeah, the burn out is real! What are you planning on doing with your DVM, if you know already?
No you definitely didn't rub the wrong way! I really appreciate the words and the support!

I'm still debating what I want to do but I really like emergency and critical care...I also really like parasitology too so maybe do some research with that

Waitlisted at Tufts, Tennessee, Auburn, and U of Illinois.
What are my chances people!?!

I’m rejecting my OOS spot at Tufts tomorrow if that boosts your confidence a little!

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think the updates will come out the 15th or the 16th? I'm so nervous and excited but I don't want to make myself crazy!!

Do you guys think the updates will come out the 15th or the 16th? I'm so nervous and excited but I don't want to make myself crazy!!
I'm really hoping they start to send some updates out the 15th, so I'm not committing anywhere until the end of the business day.

I'm really hoping they start to send some updates out the 15th, so I'm not committing anywhere until the end of the business day.
I hope so! I'm hoping I'm moving a bit closer to my in state

It’s hard not to become pessimistic in this process. I told my non vet friends and family that there was no chance again this cycle and I thought they were being too optimistic, especially when they don’t understand how grueling it is. But sometimes they see your best qualities that you forget :) I know this process and I think you’re going to get in too!

I definitely hope they start sending updates today! I barely slept from how nervous I am!! Best of luck to all of us still waiting!

I definitely hope they start sending updates today! I barely slept from how nervous I am!! Best of luck to all of us still waiting!
I know right?! I literally made an Excel spreadsheet calculating a variety of movement scenarios based on previous years!
It's gonna be okay guys! We made it this far! Positive thoughts to everyone waiting!

I know right?! I literally made an Excel spreadsheet calculating a variety of movement scenarios based on previous years!
It's gonna be okay guys! We made it this far! Positive thoughts to everyone waiting!
Omg! I didn't even think about this! I just kept scrolling through past year's SDN threads hoping to see something I had missed before.

Omg! I didn't even think about this! I just kept scrolling through past year's SDN threads hoping to see something I had missed before.
It actually wasn't that hard, you just get the "counting" and "if" formulas going and it does all the work for you!

Any predictions so far?
Well, I've only been waitlist at U of M. I'm #16 going in, but I based a lot of calculations off of stuff found on SDN. Breaking it down I have developed the following scenarios for the first wave of movement after the fifteenth.
Best case based on forum acceptances: 25% decline, move up 13 spots (#3)
Last year's statistics: 14% decline, move up 8 spots (#8)
Best worst case scenario: 11% decline, move 6 spots (#10)
Worst case scenario: 5% decline, move up 3 spots (#13)
BEST BESTEST case scenario: 30% decline, move up 16 spots (accepted!)
Again not super accurate, but stats make me feel better.
.... Sorry I went a little bit stalker mode...

Well, I've only been waitlist at U of M. I'm #16 going in, but I based a lot of calculations off of stuff found on SDN. Breaking it down I have developed the following scenarios for the first wave of movement after the fifteenth.
Best case based on forum acceptances: 25% decline, move up 13 spots (#3)
Last year's statistics: 14% decline, move up 8 spots (#8)
Best worst case scenario: 11% decline, move 6 spots (#10)
Worst case scenario: 5% decline, move up 3 spots (#13)
BEST BESTEST case scenario: 30% decline, move up 16 spots (accepted!)
Again not super accurate, but stats make me feel better.
.... Sorry I went a little bit stalker mode...
Hahahaha don't worry it's absolutely understandable considering the circumstances! #16 is still a great spot so I'm sure it'll be the best of the scenarios!