This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got pulled off Cornell’s waitlist!
I have until tomorrow to decide.
I will probably decline it and stick with penn, but I need to sleep on it bc holy crap it’s gonna be hard to turn Cornell down.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I will probably decline it and stick with penn, but I need to sleep on it bc holy crap it’s gonna be hard to turn Cornell down.
They only give you a day to decide?!

Reactions: 1 user

Have you ever seen Cornell’s campus? Absolutely beautiful. My husband and I go up to Ithaca every year to camp and sight see. Their LA clinic is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever seen Cornell’s campus? Absolutely beautiful. My husband and I go up to Ithaca every year to camp and sight see. Their LA clinic is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen!

I went up there for the information session. It was mid feb though so not the most beautiful time of year haha.
I’m really excited about penn and Philly. Like, soooo excited to live in a city (I’ve been an hour outside of LA for 8 years now and it drives me nuts). I’m excited about living walking distance to campus and other amenities. Public transportation.
Cornell’s facilities were amazing though. It’s really tough to turn it down. But I think that ultimately I’ll be happier in Philly and at Penn.

Anyone hear back from tufts yet?
Called yesterday, they had nothing to tell me and said they were going to have a meeting today to discuss things, not sure what that means.

Has anybody heard anything about the waitlist for University of Illinois? Or know when we might hear anything? Congrats to everyone who has gotten good news the past couple days!!

I’m in the same boat as you currently:nailbiting: Cornell was initially my ~dream school~ because my grandfather went there for vet school and I has always heard such great things etc. etc. and I just got called off this afternoon....but I absolutely loved Tufts as well!! I’m making a huge pro/con list tonight and FaceTiming my parents so we’ll see what happens:dead:

Reactions: 4 users
Has anybody heard back from UF? I’m OOS but curious about IS as well

University of Wisconsin Madison is starting to contact their OOS waitlist - got the call this afternoon!

Reactions: 4 users
University of Wisconsin Madison is starting to contact their OOS waitlist - got the call this afternoon!
That’s awesome congrats! Would you mind saying what your number on the waitlist position was?

Has anybody heard anything about the waitlist for University of Illinois? Or know when we might hear anything? Congrats to everyone who has gotten good news the past couple days!!
They require acceptances/deposits be postmarked by the 15th, so they have to wait until at least the end of the week to even know if they have seats available. Last year I got my call exactly 1 week after the deadline. Likely the earliest anyone will hear.

That’s awesome congrats! Would you mind saying what your number on the waitlist position was?
I was number 1 lol. I accepted an offer elsewhere though so I declined. Hopefully someone else will get the call next

I was number 1 lol. I accepted an offer elsewhere though so I declined. Hopefully someone else will get the call next

Ooooh, you have me excited now - I was number 23 as of last week. Going to be ready to answer my phone at a moments' notice now starting tomorrow. :D

Anyone hear back yet for WSU OOS?
It'll be a few days before anyone on the waitlist hears as the admission committee reconvenes to select who they are going to offer off the waitlist. How long it'll be IDK as finals and graduation is upon us and alot of the admissions committee have faculty positions and are busy with those things for the next 2.5 weeks

It'll be a few days before anyone on the waitlist hears as the admission committee reconvenes to select who they are going to offer off the waitlist. How long it'll be IDK as finals and graduation is upon us and alot of the admissions committee have faculty positions and are busy with those things for the next 2.5 weeks
Yeah, I figured as much! Thank you!

Officially received an offer from UW-Madison about an hour ago and accepted!!! On Wisconsin!
I was originally #31 and #23 as of last week, so it's moving pretty fast!

Reactions: 12 users
Just checked my spot at Michigan State and I'm down to number 79 on the OOS waitlist, I have no words only a ton of hope that the waitlist will continue to move and I could potentially get a call. This school is my only chance of getting in this cycle so I'm literally on pins and needles!

Reactions: 7 users
Just checked my spot at Michigan State and I'm down to number 79 on the OOS waitlist, I have no words only a ton of hope that the waitlist will continue to move and I could potentially get a call. This school is my only chance of getting in this cycle so I'm literally on pins and needles!

All the luck to you!!!!!!!!!! The wait is terrible but hopefully you'll get your good news soon!!!!

May I ask someone to explain how movement on the waitlist can happen in the later summer months? I would think that the class would be full by the time May comes around but some people in earlier classes have been pulled off in late May or early June. How does this happen?

May I ask someone to explain how movement on the waitlist can happen in the later summer months? I would think that the class would be full by the time May comes around but some people in earlier classes have been pulled off in late May or early June. How does this happen?
Let’s say person 1 is accepted to school A. They put down their deposit and are good to go. Suddenly something happens in their life and they need to defer for a year, or they just decide they can’t go. Whatever. Now there’s a spot open at school A. Person 2 is on that waitlist for school A and gets pulled of to fill person 1’s seat. Person 2 already submitted a deposit to school B, but they like school A more so they forfeit their deposit and accept their seat at school A. Now school B also has a spot open. So they pull person 3 off of their waitlist to go.

As you can see, this can end up getting a lot of people off the waitlist just because one person forfeited their seat. Sometimes it’s just that one person getting that one seat at that one school and there are no further effects. Sometimes it’s several people switching which school they want to go to. But under normal circumstances it’s a net of one person who wasn’t initially accepted getting pulled off of a waitlist.

Edit: also if schools give 2 to 4 days for people to accept offers, that can really add up. In the end that can bring you to June or July. But I’d figure once you get into August it’s more of what I said initially.

Let’s say person 1 is accepted to school A. They put down their deposit and are good to go. Suddenly something happens in their life and they need to defer for a year, or they just decide they can’t go. Whatever. Now there’s a spot open at school A. Person 2 is on that waitlist for school A and gets pulled of to fill person 1’s seat. Person 2 already submitted a deposit to school B, but they like school A more so they forfeit their deposit and accept their seat at school A. Now school B also has a spot open. So they pull person 3 off of their waitlist to go.

As you can see, this can end up getting a lot of people off the waitlist just because one person forfeited their seat. Sometimes it’s just that one person getting that one seat at that one school and there are no further effects. Sometimes it’s several people switching which school they want to go to. But under normal circumstances it’s a net of one person who wasn’t initially accepted getting pulled off of a waitlist.

Edit: also if schools give 2 to 4 days for people to accept offers, that can really add up. In the end that can bring you to June or July. But I’d figure once you get into August it’s more of what I said initially.

Thank you!

Has any one been pulled off the Cornell waitlist? I just got an email that they are going to call me in an hour and I was wondering if they email you first

Has any one been pulled off the Cornell waitlist? I just got an email that they are going to call me in an hour and I was wondering if they email you first

Update! Was pulled off the waitlist and declined

Just heard back from Colorado and they've pulled me off the waitlist and I'm 98% sure I will decline, but I have until Monday to decide. Ugh >.<

Does anyone know if there is a date after which, say 90% of the time, I won't be getting off the waitlist? Currently waitlisted at Auburn, and it's freaking me out that I could get in tomorrow, or in two months, or never.

I just got off of OVC's waitlist on thursday, waiting patiently for illinois OOS though. I feel greedy but illinois has my heart!

I was so excited, but now it says 148/148! Going crazy :eek:

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I need advice. I am currently waitlisted at Virginia-Maryland (#38), ISU (#82), and University of Illinois (unranked). I am not very optimistic that I will get accepted off of any of the waitlists since Virginia-Maryland only has a few seats still pending and ISU only has 15 seats pending. If I would get accepted I would go to vet school in a heartbeat, however, I don't know if I want to reapply if I don't get accepted because of the debt. I just did my exit counseling today for my undergrad student loans and I think that kind of scared me because I already have $105,000 in student debt. I honestly can't see myself enjoying another career as much as I enjoy veterinary medicine, but I just don't know what to do anymore. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed, and can't make a decision. I have thought about human healthcare a little, but I'm unsure if I would enjoy that. The only reason that I'm conflicted is because I could get a masters in something in human healthcare and have about half the debt and make the same if not more than I would in veterinary medicine. If anyone has any advice at all I greatly appreciate it!

I got called off of the Oklahoma waitlist today!! I called to ask how many spots were left on the waitlist for OOS applicants, and they told me I was the next one to be called! How serendipitious! First acceptance off all the waitlists I’m on so I’m happy :)

Reactions: 15 users
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I need advice. I am currently waitlisted at Virginia-Maryland (#38), ISU (#82), and University of Illinois (unranked). I am not very optimistic that I will get accepted off of any of the waitlists since Virginia-Maryland only has a few seats still pending and ISU only has 15 seats pending. If I would get accepted I would go to vet school in a heartbeat, however, I don't know if I want to reapply if I don't get accepted because of the debt. I just did my exit counseling today for my undergrad student loans and I think that kind of scared me because I already have $105,000 in student debt. I honestly can't see myself enjoying another career as much as I enjoy veterinary medicine, but I just don't know what to do anymore. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed, and can't make a decision. I have thought about human healthcare a little, but I'm unsure if I would enjoy that. The only reason that I'm conflicted is because I could get a masters in something in human healthcare and have about half the debt and make the same if not more than I would in veterinary medicine. If anyone has any advice at all I greatly appreciate it!
If you don’t get in (or even if you do, it’s okay to decline if you have changed your mind) I’d say step away from vetmed for a bit and shadow some human healthcare fields you’re interested in and see if you like it as much or more than vetmed. If you like it, it’s fine to change paths and be more comfortable with the debt. If you want to come back to vetmed after a while, that’s okay too. If you’re not 100% all in, definitely go explore some other options. You can even start now while you’re waiting to hear back from schools. Don’t go into vetmed until you are positive you want to do this and you are willing to take on that much more debt. You don’t want to jump in and have regrets halfway through school if you’re already unsure and then still be stuck with that debt.

If you don’t get in (or even if you do, it’s okay to decline if you have changed your mind) I’d say step away from vetmed for a bit and shadow some human healthcare fields you’re interested in and see if you like it as much or more than vetmed. If you like it, it’s fine to change paths and be more comfortable with the debt. If you want to come back to vetmed after a while, that’s okay too. If you’re not 100% all in, definitely go explore some other options. You can even start now while you’re waiting to hear back from schools. Don’t go into vetmed until you are positive you want to do this and you are willing to take on that much more debt. You don’t want to jump in and have regrets halfway through school if you’re already unsure and then still be stuck with that debt.
Thank you so much for responding! I think what is freaking me out so much is that I've been dead set on vetmed for so long that it's scary to have second thoughts now!

Thank you so much for responding! I think what is freaking me out so much is that I've been dead set on vetmed for so long that it's scary to have second thoughts now!
It’s okay to have second thoughts! The debt is ****ing TERRIFYING. It’s completely fine (and tbh encouraged) to want to explore other options before locking yourself into this much debt. You have to be sure this is what you want and that you wouldn’t be happy somewhere else with a lower debt to income ratio before starting school.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s okay to have second thoughts! The debt is ****ing TERRIFYING. It’s completely fine (and tbh encouraged) to want to explore other options before locking yourself into this much debt. You have to be sure this is what you want and that you wouldn’t be happy somewhere else with a lower debt to income ratio before starting school.
Thank you! That honestly makes a lot of sense. I think I will explore other options so that I know I 100% wouldn't be happy anywhere else.

Maybe persue non-medicine animal jobs for a few years or even vet tech positions and then reapply if you still really want to do it

Maybe persue non-medicine animal jobs for a few years or even vet tech positions and then reapply if you still really want to do it
I've worked as a vet tech for over 2 years now, and I love it. The debt to income ratio is what is scaring me.

Would you be IS for any of these schools, or are they all OOS schools for you?

I’ve got $107,000 in student loan debt I’m currently attempting (which I say because there’s no way I’m ever getting rid of it on my salary; I’m on PAYE and holding out for forgiveness and the tax bomb) to pay back. Most of it was from my short stint in vet school, but some came from undergrad. I’ve already accepted that I’m going to have to put a not insignificant amount of my income every month towards these things with the balance only continuing to increase because I can’t even touch interest at this rate. Even still, it weighs on me psychologically a lot. I kick myself every day for even going to vet school and, honestly, even if you could somehow guarantee me that I would have finished and graduated with my DVM, I still don’t know that I’d do it over again. Granted, I’ve found my personality type and admittedly pretty severe mental health issues don’t really “mesh” well with a lot of things in the field. I wish I would have realized that before getting myself into the hole, but I did meet a lot of amazing people both in real life and on SDN as a result of foraying into vet med, and I’m using some of the knowledge I gained in my current job, so maybe it wasn’t a complete waste.

Still, you’re right to be concerned. The debt is very real and very scary. $105,000 in undergrad debt alone is a lot; imagine adding $100,000 (if you’re paying “cheap” IS tuition) or even $250,000+ (if you’re going OOS or international) to that amount, plus interest, plus capitalization. It’s a lot to handle and as much as I hate to pull this card, as a pre-vet, it’s hard to really grasp and conceptualize just how much money that truly is until you start paying it back. You need to be very, very sure that this is the field for you because, as you are clearly well aware, starting salaries in most areas in vet med are not commiserate with the average debtload.

I second @SkiOtter ’s suggestion to maybe try shadowing in human med for a little bit if you can and if that is something that you’re actually potentially interested in. You’re right that it pays better, overall, but that path takes just as much tenacity and dedication to make it through as vet med does, so you definitely don’t want to jump in just because you’d make more money and possibly have a slightly lesser debt burden.

I’m not saying to not go for vet med if that is truly what you want to do, but the financial sacrifice is so great that you really need to be absolutely sure that it is what you want and that you can’t see yourself in any other career, especially with you already having a substantial amount of debt.

Seriously, explore your options and then reevaluate how you feel. I wish I’d done that more.

Last edited by a moderator: