This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I need advice. I am currently waitlisted at Virginia-Maryland (#38), ISU (#82), and University of Illinois (unranked). I am not very optimistic that I will get accepted off of any of the waitlists since Virginia-Maryland only has a few seats still pending and ISU only has 15 seats pending. If I would get accepted I would go to vet school in a heartbeat, however, I don't know if I want to reapply if I don't get accepted because of the debt. I just did my exit counseling today for my undergrad student loans and I think that kind of scared me because I already have $105,000 in student debt. I honestly can't see myself enjoying another career as much as I enjoy veterinary medicine, but I just don't know what to do anymore. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed, and can't make a decision. I have thought about human healthcare a little, but I'm unsure if I would enjoy that. The only reason that I'm conflicted is because I could get a masters in something in human healthcare and have about half the debt and make the same if not more than I would in veterinary medicine. If anyone has any advice at all I greatly appreciate it!

I can definitely sympathize. I was in a similar position where I spent a few years applying to schools/fields I ultimately realized I didn’t want to pursue. Truthfully, I think taking a bit of a break from schools can be very beneficial: it gives you time to really process and explore what you’re passionate about, and can give you the mental break you didn’t know you needed. And of course, you can start working and paying back loans earlier.

I know it’s easier said than done to not feel overwhelmed (and I’m struggling with it too!), but just take it step by step and approach new experiences with an open mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I am OOS, and I am looking at housing at WSU this weekend, so at least I can look at my options one last time before fully committing somewhere
>.<
Dude, WSU is SO much cheaper, even if you’re OOS here as well. Pullman isn’t the funnest place, but you will thank yourself later for having less debt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if there is a date after which, say 90% of the time, I won't be getting off the waitlist? Currently waitlisted at Auburn, and it's freaking me out that I could get in tomorrow, or in two months, or never.

It's impossible to know because it's cycle and school dependent. For 2020, Illinois was over full on April 15 for that cycle. Other cycles, I've heard rumors of schools getting through the entire wait list.

Honestly, it sets you up for your next cycle better to think of your wait list position as a rejection until you hear otherwise. Start planning your summer/fall around the assumption you're reapplying. If you get a call, great! If not, then you didn't waste 3 months waiting around.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be IS for any of these schools, or are they all OOS schools for you?

I’ve got $107,000 in student loan debt I’m currently attempting (which I say because there’s no way I’m ever getting rid of it on my salary; I’m on PAYE and holding out for forgiveness and the tax bomb) to pay back. Most of it was from my short stint in vet school, but some came from undergrad. I’ve already accepted that I’m going to have to put a not insignificant amount of my income every month towards these things with the balance only continuing to increase because I can’t even touch interest at this rate. Even still, it weighs on me psychologically a lot. I kick myself every day for even going to vet school and, honestly, even if you could somehow guarantee me that I would have finished and graduated with my DVM, I still don’t know that I’d do it over again. Granted, I’ve found my personality type and admittedly pretty severe mental health issues don’t really “mesh” well with a lot of things in the field. I wish I would have realized that before getting myself into the hole, but I did meet a lot of amazing people both in real life and on SDN as a result of foraying into vet med, and I’m using some of the knowledge I gained in my current job, so maybe it wasn’t a complete waste.

Still, you’re right to be concerned. The debt is very real and very scary. $105,000 in undergrad debt alone is a lot; imagine adding $100,000 (if you’re paying “cheap” IS tuition) or even $250,000+ (if you’re going OOS or international) to that amount, plus interest, plus capitalization. It’s a lot to handle and as much as I hate to pull this card, as a pre-vet, it’s hard to really grasp and conceptualize just how much money that truly is until you start paying it back. You need to be very, very sure that this is the field for you because, as you are clearly well aware, starting salaries in most areas in vet med are not commiserate with the average debtload.

I second @SkiOtter ’s suggestion to maybe try shadowing in human med for a little bit if you can and if that is something that you’re actually potentially interested in. You’re right that it pays better, overall, but that path takes just as much tenacity and dedication to make it through as vet med does, so you definitely don’t want to jump in just because you’d make more money and possibly have a slightly lesser debt burden.

I’m not saying to not go for vet med if that is truly what you want to do, but the financial sacrifice is so great that you really need to be absolutely sure that it is what you want and that you can’t see yourself in any other career, especially with you already having a substantial amount of debt.

Seriously, explore your options and then reevaluate how you feel. I wish I’d done that more.
I would be OOS for all of those schools. My IS is Penn, so it's not much, if at all, cheaper than going OOS.

I'm just freaking out because even with PAYE, I'm going to be paying $600+ a month for my student loans because the majority of my loans are Parent PLUS loans and don't qualify for PAYE. That's why I'm so worried about the debt because I could go to school for only 2 more years (for only like $40,000 total) and be a perfusionist or something similar and make $150,000+.

I just don't know if I would be happy with my decision. I can't really see myself working in human med, but I also haven't been exposed to it either. I think I might enjoy it because I really like the medicine and science components of vetmed (and obviously the animals), humans just kinda gross me out and animals don't.

For whatever it's worth, I never saw myself working in the human med realm, either, but that's where I am now. In actuality, I'm working ~80 hours per week between two jobs, but my main job is in the critical care unit of a human hospital and I'm quite enjoying it in spite of the poor pay and sheer amount of hours. Obviously, I can't say that it will be the same case for you, but if you're curious about it... there's nothing wrong with setting up a week to shadow or something and at least checking it out? I never would've thought that I'd end up here but I am glad that I did and, in that way, maybe my vet school experience was a blessing in disguise. That said, my position isn't in direct patient care, though I am on the "healthcare team" so to speak, and my contributions do make a difference to their medical care. My second job is in translation work, for the record.

Insofar as the loans are concerned, I believe that PLUS loans can be consolidated with federal Stafford loans into federal consolidation loans--assuming that you have those, as well--which should qualify them at a minimum for ICR (and even PSLF, by extension, if you get a job that qualifies, though I wouldn't necessarily bank on it). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, though. However, if you can do that, it should help out quite a bit with still being able to live life reasonably comfortably.

Also, if in the end, you find that you're still set on vet med... have you considered possibly applying to OOS schools that allow for changes in residency status after first year? I'm thinking Mizzou, NCSU, Ohio State, etc? Those may be good options to look into if you're debt-conscious, and it could save you potentially $100,000+ in loans if you can manage it.
That's actually really encouraging to hear that you switched and enjoy it. I don't want to "rule something out", so to speak, without actually experiencing it. I have no idea if I would enjoy a career in human healthcare because I've been so focused on vetmed my entire undergrad that I never gave human healthcare a chance. So I don't want to miss out on something that I could possible enjoy just as much or even more than vetmed, especially with the financial aspects.

I did apply to NCSU this past cycle, but my cum GPA is a 3.5 so I think I would have to boost that a little if I were to have a chance at NCSU OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you on waitlists but have committed to another school, are you delaying the housing search? I’m afraid I’ll sign a lease and then possibly get called off a waitlist and have to back out. Has anyone experienced this?

For those of you on waitlists but have committed to another school, are you delaying the housing search? I’m afraid I’ll sign a lease and then possibly get called off a waitlist and have to back out. Has anyone experienced this?
Heyo! I accepted k-state but currently waiting to see if the U of M (my in state school) goes through more of the waitlist. I know it's not responsible of me, but I'm absolutely delaying my housing search until July. I did find a lot of places to look into as a jumping off point, but nothing hammered down. Part of it is due to the fact I have a full-time and part-time job and I know I'm not going to have an income in school so I'm delaying leaving them so I can save as much as possible. It's stressing me out but I'm hoping there will still be stuff available in July in case I don't get into my in state

Got pulled off the LMU waitlist today! Will be accepting :) SO excited!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's actually really encouraging to hear that you switched and enjoy it. I don't want to "rule something out", so to speak, without actually experiencing it. I have no idea if I would enjoy a career in human healthcare because I've been so focused on vetmed my entire undergrad that I never gave human healthcare a chance. So I don't want to miss out on something that I could possible enjoy just as much or even more than vetmed, especially with the financial aspects.
Definitely check out the human medical field! And there’s more than medical school that gets you there. PA school (and shadowing a PA) is another great option to look into. There’s also fields outside of the typical medicine you’d think of, but still in the human healthcare realm like dentistry and optometry, if you like teeth or eyes.

I got accepted into Davis guys!!!! Thank you guys so much for all of the support! My heart is beating so fast!!

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
I got accepted into Davis guys!!!! Thank you guys so much for all of the support! My heart is beating so fast!!
Woooooooooooo! Welcome! I'm super excited for you! Let me know if you have any questions, but the Facebook page is a good resource. My PM box is always open.

CONGRATULATIONS AHHHHHH!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!! You're going to have an amazing time! Please feel free to message me if you have any questions about Davis itself - I go here for undergrad and I love the little town. Of course, an actual vet student would be more helpful about housing and classes and stuff, but I'm happy to talk as well. Congratulations again!!! I'm really really happy for you!!!

Reactions: 2 users
CONGRATULATIONS AHHHHHH!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!! You're going to have an amazing time! Please feel free to message me if you have any questions about Davis itself - I go here for undergrad and I love the little town. Of course, an actual vet student would be more helpful about housing and classes and stuff, but I'm happy to talk as well. Congratulations again!!! I'm really really happy for you!!!

Will definitely message you if I have any questions! I really appreciate it

Woooooooooooo! Welcome! I'm super excited for you! Let me know if you have any questions, but the Facebook page is a good resource. My PM box is always open.

Thank you! I just joined the fb group! :D

I was on the wait list for Kansas (first time applying their, second time applying in general) (unranked). I thought I was a goner but out of nowhere today they called and offered me a position so I'm officially a vet student now!

Reactions: 21 users
I know it's been asked before, but anyone hear anything from Tufts? I haven't seen anything posted on here yet :shrug:

Still kind of in shock, but I got the call from Cornell!

Reactions: 14 users
I know it's been asked before, but anyone hear anything from Tufts? I haven't seen anything posted on here yet :shrug:
Talked to Tufts, their instate class is full and they offered 5 people spots off the OOS waitlist, not sure updates past that. I had a good shot of getting off the instate but not OOS (apparently the OOS applicants are more highly ranked this year, so even though as an instate I'm in both pools, I'm not competitive in the OOS one.

Talked to Tufts, their instate class is full and they offered 5 people spots off the OOS waitlist, not sure updates past that. I had a good shot of getting off the instate but not OOS (apparently the OOS applicants are more highly ranked this year, so even though as an instate I'm in both pools, I'm not competitive in the OOS one.
Thanks so much! I'm planning on calling tomorrow regardless, it's just been one of the few schools I've heard basically no updates from

Has anyone heard anything from NC State about being called off the waitlist? They said they would start this week but have yet to hear anything about it

Waitlisted IS at LSU. #2! My last update from them was that the class was currently full, but I'm hoping that I still get the call. My anxiety level is through the roof when my phone rings....who am I kidding, it's through the roof all the time. All the doctors that I work with (I'm a specialty vet tech) continue to tell me that they think I'm gonna get in which make me feel good, but also more pressure and a bigger let down if I don't. Does anyone know typically how often LSU's waitlist gets a call?

Waitlisted IS at LSU. #2! My last update from them was that the class was currently full, but I'm hoping that I still get the call. My anxiety level is through the roof when my phone rings....who am I kidding, it's through the roof all the time. All the doctors that I work with (I'm a specialty vet tech) continue to tell me that they think I'm gonna get in which make me feel good, but also more pressure and a bigger let down if I don't. Does anyone know typically how often LSU's waitlist gets a call?

I know its not much help, but when I asked about waitlist movement they told me that it really just varies per year. The info I was given from the school was that some years they don't pull anyone and some years they pull 2-3 off the waitlist. Good luck to you though, there is still time!

Called WSU, IS seats are full
That sucks. I was hoping there would be a few spots for us. I wonder if anyone was pulled off the waitlist. I didn't know anyone on the IS waitlist besides people on here. At least I've got my plans for the next year.

Don't want to give anyone false hope but last year my friend was added to the class a week before classes started! The class was full too but sometimes people drop out or make a different decision. It happens! So don't give up hope but don't necessarily expect anything. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing yet IS. Have they sent out weekly updates in the past? Or does it typically get updated when there's movement?
Nothing oos either; and not that im aware of. I just wish we knew whether or not the class was full

Nothing oos either; and not that im aware of. I just wish we knew whether or not the class was full
I feel like its still early... There could be movement soon. I think patience is key.....
But this a new breed of agony that I never thought I'd experience...

Just got the call Friday and I'm IS at LSU! Don't give up hope y'all!! The class was full when I was at spot #2 over a week ago. I'm surprised I heard so early, but there's still lots of time!

Reactions: 15 users
I just spoke with Janet and the CSU class of 2023 is currently full. She predicted some movement over the summer, but she couldn’t guarantee anything.

Just got an email from LMU this morning, pulled off the alternate list, most likely denying.

Does anyone know how to get an application review?

Does anyone know how to get an application review?
Some places email about reminders to do it. I emailed the college and asked for one. We scheduled a date by email and the head of admissions called on that date. Some places allow meeting in person. It really just depends. Try calling the college, although some places won't do reviews after a certain date.

Anyone else move on their waitlists? I'm super superstitious that I jinxed it from moving anymore...

I cannot believe that I was just pulled off Illinois' waitlist. I'm the definition of SHOOK right now.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Once a class is full what are the chances of still getting pulled off the waitlist?

Once a class is full what are the chances of still getting pulled off the waitlist?
It depends. How much does it cost to go to the school, IS vs OOS, proportion of IS to OOS seats available, perceived quality of the school. Basically, someone has to get pulled off a wait list somewhere else, ditch their deposit at the school you want, and then hopefully you either know your ranking or you are high up in the pool of candidates. Some schools have waitlists that move a lot. And some schools rarely pull from the waitlist.

Hey guys! Probably should have posted immediately when it happened, but I WAS ACCEPTED TO THE U OF MN!! I got called off June 4th but I wanted to make sure everything went through before posting, cuz I'm paranoid! :D But I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Reactions: 17 users