Waitlist Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

Hello folks,

Since everyone is clinging close to the waitlists... I heard from a pretty reliable source that I am too low on the waitlist to stand any real chance of getting accepted off of it.

Seems like no news is not good news by now.

I make no predictions for anyone else, and I wish you all the best. Unfortunately, I won't be going to medical school this fall.
I know waiting is hard and any ounce of hope makes you want to hang onto thinking you'll get in. Just don't get your hopes too high because it hurts on the other side of the fence.

Members don't see this ad.

Hang in there WAUS. There is always next year. Besides, your true worth is not based on whether or not you get into med school. Search your heart and ask yourself what you truly want out of life. Always be true to yourself. I know this propbably doesn't help you any, but I couldn't read your post and not say something. :(

WUAS-

Don't give up hope, if you really want to be a doctor, you will be eventually. Those of us that just keep on trying will fully appreciate our degree when we get it (this is my second time applying). I hope that you get off the wait list, but if not, everyone that I know who has applied another time has gotten in the second time, so hang in there! YOu have been an inspiration to the rest of us with all of your positive posts, so I wanted to try to cheer you up a little. Hope this helped.... :) liz

Members don't see this ad :)
Star,

I'm sorry to hear the news. I definitely know how devastating it is. But, if you really want this badly enough, you WILL get in. Believe in yourself and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Good luck!

Hello,

I am coming up on my 3rd time applying. Each year it gets harder. There is no such thing as "definitely get in next time".

You've either got it or you don't. I don't have it.

WUAS,

Well, we don't look very different on paper so there has to be something good coming your way.

I too failed miserably my Freshman year. 2 F's chem and algebra, D in Bio and C in English. I returned to school several years later and had to start over. Retaking classes and doing much better. I did falter in inorganic II C+ and Organic I D(almost had a child die a couple days before the final which destroyed my grade) retook w/ B+ and org II C+. In my case I was attending classes full time and working professionally full time with a large family I was supporting.

My one-time MCAT was a 27 and my cum GPA is 3.5 with sci of ~3.2 I think.

I also was a co-publisher of some prozac research on NKC activity in mice.

I had some very high demands in my church while a student and took a year of biochem after graduating in may 2000.

I completed apps at 5 schools, interviewed at all of them, got 2 acceptances and one waitlist spot.

Get some real feedback from counselors or especially the schools that you've interviewed at. But you probably already know this.

My first year of applying was tough, 14 apps one interview, one rejection.

If it's truly your passion/dream/destiny to become a doc, you can make it happen.

Best of Luck,

Dave

WUAS,

Keep your chin up. This is not the end of the road.

I know exactly how you feel. At 22 I applied and got an interview. The man who interviewed me made it perfectly clear that he felt that a career in medicine was not in my future. I, like the naive young woman that I was, believed him. And because I took heed to what he said convinced myself that he must have been right.

After 6 years of marriage, 7 years of graduate chemistry, an incredible child birth experience, and a remarkable trip to Europe, I realized that I was now ready for that careeer in medicine.

My stats are not all that. But the experiences that I have had have made me the woman that will make for an extraordinary physician. I made that quite clear in my personal statement and interviews (6 to be exact, and 3 acceptances, 2 waitlists and one interview I declinded, and 10 rejections)

This is not to say that you should wait eight years to reapply. What I am saying is that you take advantage of this year and do something to make you stand out. Well roundedness is what they call it. I say go out and be human. Live alittle. Adcomms know applicants are smart. We all are. This is not in question when we apply. After several interviews I have concluded that what adcomms want is smart "real" people. Not people who are really smart.

I hope that I have given you something to look forward to. Don't get down in the dumps. There is no time for that. Get out and live. You will be all the more ready for round three! And if there need be round four. But I seriously doubt it you will need it.

Good luck and best wishes!
beakerbetty

Just to correct my post. No I did not do 7 years of graduate chemistry. 1 year of graduate chemistry, 7 years of teaching high school chemistry.

Sorry...my bad :)
beakerbetty