Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey im thinking of doing the same thing, may I ask how you worded the email?
I basically just asked if they could give me one final consideration because I am currently planning on going to a school that requires me to move across the country and need to start looking for a place to live. I also mentioned that since I won't be moving alone (my SO is coming with me), he needs to start planning for his life as well and I can't keep him in this unknown state any longer. I wrote that I love the school and would be honored to attend, and thanked them for their consideration in the first place.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I basically just asked if they could give me one final consideration because I am currently planning on going to a school that requires me to move across the country and need to start looking for a place to live. I also mentioned that since I won't be moving alone (my SO is coming with me), he needs to start planning for his life as well and I can't keep him in this unknown state any longer. I wrote that I love the school and would be honored to attend, and thanked them for their consideration in the first place.
This sounds much better than the ones we get...

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Petulant and demanding.
This is why I can't recommend them. The ones I have seen didn't make anyone want them more.
Interesting to know. I never had a doubt that some of them could be petulant andand demand but wasn't aware it would be the majority of them

Interesting to know. I never had a doubt that some of them could be petulant andand demand but wasn't aware it would be the majority of them
I'm sure it was not their intention.
It is probably the first time they have attempted such a nuanced message.
Sadly, it shows.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my first MD acceptance this morning at my top choice school! Thank you everyone for the support here. I'll be rooting for all of you. :)

Reactions: 43 users
Just got my first MD acceptance this morning at my top choice school! Thank you everyone for the support here. I'll be rooting for all of you. :)

Congrats you made it!!

Reactions: 2 users
So much for NYMC accepting 70 off the waitlist...

Reactions: 5 users
There have been movements even at Hopkins this past week. expecting some from Yale this coming week...fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
So much for NYMC accepting 70 off the waitlist...

They deferred at least one person from the waitlist to next year though so if you're lucky you won't have to go through another cycle..

I'm sure it was not their intention.
It is probably the first time they have attempted such a nuanced message.
Sadly, it shows.
do schools ever let a waitlist applicant know that they would be heavily considered?

do schools ever let a waitlist applicant know that they would be heavily considered?

It depends on the school. There are some schools with ranked waitlist that tell you your exact number. I know another that tell you if your in the top 1/3, middle 1/3, lower 1/3 and based on that they tell you historically how deep in their waitlist they usually go.

So its really school specific.

There have been movements even at Hopkins this past week. expecting some from Yale this coming week...fingers crossed.
Music to my ears. Not because I was any where close to getting waitlisted there, but maybe someone who is holding an acceptance at the school I am is. It's like trickle-down acceptances, except it actually works.

Reactions: 11 users
This trickle-down WL movement is the only thing keeping me going rn... haha.

Reactions: 13 users
Now that it's June, I'm giving up hope on my waitlists...:( I'm wondering if it's time to throw in the towel and move forward with my current acceptance. I want to hang on a little longer to see what happens, but I'm tired of being in limbo.
+1 ugh I totally get you

i know theres been waitlist movement at UVM without anyone posting on SDN, but does anyone know about UCONN? Im on their high alternate waitlist and dying to just get in

i know theres been waitlist movement at UVM without anyone posting on SDN, but does anyone know about UCONN? Im on their high alternate waitlist and dying to just get in

Hey thanks for the info. How do you know theres been movement at UVM? and do you happen to know many people that got off the waitlist?

btw I don't know anything about UCONN, but if I get some info I will make sure to let you know! I hope you get in!

Hey thanks for the info. How do you know theres been movement at UVM? and do you happen to know many people that got off the waitlist?

btw I don't know anything about UCONN, but if I get some info I will make sure to let you know! I hope you get in!

Thanks!! and I called UVM last week and they said there has been movement and thats all they could tell me. someone else on the UVM page said the same thing too

Reactions: 1 users
For those who wrote update letters, what did you include? Nothing has really changed for me other than spring grades and continuing to work in healthcare. Should I just mention that and re-iterate my interest in the school? Thanks in advance!

th

Reactions: 8 users
I give up. If ur waitlisted at a top tier school, it is highly unlikely that you will get off at this time. Its been a ride. Going to now really focus on my already accepted school.

Reactions: 5 users
I give up. If ur waitlisted at a top tier school, it is highly unlikely that you will get off at this time. Its been a ride. Going to now really focus on my already accepted school.
I have a feeling that if everyone with an acceptance thought the way you did and removed themselves from the waitlist, we’d see a lot more movement all around. Just a thought

Reactions: 10 users

This post gives a lot of perspective. It truly shows how everyone can feel the same suffering, regardless of their goals. Whether we're sitting on 4 acceptances but on the waitlist at an Ivy dream school, accepted at a few osteopathic schools but waiting for an M.D. spot, or just have zero acceptances overall, the waitlist in general is a crazy thing. On one hand, it lets us know that we HAVE the potential to get into our dream school (whichever that may be), but on the other hand, it's telling us we're not quite good enough. I'd wager that most of us feel so much worse because we're are right there at the doorstep, but can't get in. Alas, life is what you make of it. Everything will work out in the end.

Reactions: 20 users
In general, I think it's good to focus one's time and energy on acceptances at this stage in the cycle, but saying it is highly unlikely to get off a top tier WL might be overstating the issue. For example, I was accepted to Hopkins last week along with at least several others. And it wasn't like I had other top tier schools competing for me - this was my ONLY acceptance. Even my in-state school out right rejected me. And that's all right. Because it means that if you are on WLs at schools that seem out of reach with no other options, there is hope for you cause there was for me.

Ultimately, be grateful for your acceptance(s) if you have one. And if you don't and still feel truly passionate about medical school (and provided you have the funds and time), direct that energy into constructing a truly spiffy 2018-2019 AMCAS primary. I'm still rooting for all y'all be it this year or next !! ;)

Reactions: 18 users
Just sent a final email to my WL school asking them to give me one final consideration so that I can move forward with planning to move across the country if they don't want me lol. Can't keep dangling like this, especially since I won't be moving by myself

How did it go?

Welp. Learned that I was waitlisted for saying "damn" in my personal statement. You live and you learn!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

to all those losing hope like i was. I just got my first acceptance, after 2 cycles of being waitlisted. i really thought it wasnt going to happen. was gearing up to reapply, and was rethinking all my life choices. thanks to this thread for being so supportive all day through all the crazy email refreshing.

Reactions: 33 users
A pertinant person was in contact with the school and Dean about why my undergraduate institution had no acceptances this year

That really sucks man but at least you know. I'm surprised it was offensive enough to them to only get you waitlisted

Welp. Learned that I was waitlisted for saying "damn" in my personal statement. You live and you learn!

What kind of context did you use it in? I feel like as a quote from a patient or something it would be fine.

What kind of context did you use it in? I feel like as a quote from a patient or something it would be fine.
Wasn't a quote. It was me, trying to get a point across after a very important story to me and my mission. I didn't have to use it at all, it was a "best damn doctor I can be, for my patients and their sake." (Paraphrase). I get it, and in this case, it worked at some places and obviously didn't at others

Wasn't a quote. It was me, trying to get a point across after a very important story to me and my mission. I didn't have to use it at all, it was a "best damn doctor I can be, for my patients and their sake." (Paraphrase). I get it, and in this case, it worked at some places and obviously didn't at others
Yeah, I don't believe it should be a dealbreaker on professionalism but that it was it not a huge surprise. I'd say you don't want to go to a school like that anyways :p

Man, it really sucks that they decided that was a deal breaker after they invited you for an interview already having read your essay.

Man, it really sucks that they decided that was a deal breaker after they invited you for an interview already having read your essay.
Thats what gets me. Perhaps it was one of the interviewers, which is their right. That said, I always made the joke all through undergrad that there would be that one person that, on that day, decides to be the person that ends it all (but in reality, they're right)

Thats what gets me. Perhaps it was one of the interviewers, which is their right. That said, I always made the joke all through undergrad that there would be that one person that, on that day, decides to be the person that ends it all (but in reality, they're right)

If you wrote that and then acted unprofessionally in an interview or something I could see that being a reason why, but if you were a delight in your interview and made a good impression I don't know why that would impact you. If it mattered that much, what was the point of the interview in the first place?

If you wrote that and then acted unprofessionally in an interview or something I could see that being a reason why, but if you were a delight in your interview and made a good impression I don't know why that would impact you. If it mattered that much, what was the point of the interview in the first place?
I thought they went well enough! I always try to be humble, honest, and make that good mpression But I guess not well enough lol

I think in many cases the people deciding to invite you for interview and those making the final decisions are two different groups of people, so it may not have bothered some of them but ultimately did bother others. And it is likely they have two candidates that are very similar except that one didn’t use the word damn, so they got accepted first.

Status
Not open for further replies.